Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

L-Tyrosine = amazing

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Declmem

• 315 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:59 PM

I can't believe I didn't know about this one before that supplement snake oil graphic rated it above the "worth it" line.

Actually, I had tried it before, but in looking at the studies, it recommended far larger doses than I was taking, which is why I forgot about until I saw the graphic. 1 - 1.5 grams spread throughout the day isn't enough to really notice a difference.

This has seriously improved my intelligence and memory scores. I'm actually started to get good at jeopardy ;)

Anyone else have experiences?

Edited by Declmem, 07 April 2010 - 08:01 PM.

#2 NDM

• 343 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:24 PM

I can't believe I didn't know about this one before that supplement snake oil graphic rated it above the "worth it" line.

Actually, I had tried it before, but in looking at the studies, it recommended far larger doses than I was taking, which is why I forgot about until I saw the graphic. 1 - 1.5 grams spread throughout the day isn't enough to really notice a difference.

This has seriously improved my intelligence and memory scores. I'm actually started to get good at jeopardy ;)

several months ago, one capsule of phenylalanine gave me a herpes outbreak within one hour of taking it...so I never tried tyrosine, for fear of history repeating;
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Heisenberg

• 100 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:35 PM

I have noticed a repsonse, however at a "low" dose of 750mg. What dosage are you taking?

#4 Declmem

• Topic Starter
  • 315 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:01 PM

I have noticed a repsonse, however at a "low" dose of 750mg. What dosage are you taking?

2 grams in the morning, then 1 gram at about 2 or 3, and another gram later in the evening.

#5 csrpj

• 411 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:43 PM

i had great results from l-tyrosine, but i seem to build a tolerance to it :(
any thoughts on this? is it a good idea to cycle it? or is there a way to reverse/prevent the tolerance? also, is it healthy for long-term use?

#6 Imagination

• 350 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:55 PM

Tyrosine is one of my favourate supplements too. Make me think much more clearly and quickly more than any other nootropic can do. I don't really take it in that high a dose as I can find it too stimulating, and tend to hold back on the usual amount of coffee each day when taking it. It's also quite motivating too.

I suspect it is something to do with my thyroid also as it helps to increase thyroid levels, i have always suspected that I have an underactive thyroid displaying all the symptoms, and have been to the doc before with them to get checked although blood tests come back fine. Strangley tyrosine elimiates these symptoms.

My only concern in the increase of melalin in the skin and it's affect on moles. I can't find too much info on this though so it might be safe.

#7 Declmem

• Topic Starter
  • 315 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:58 PM

Tyrosine is one of my favourate supplements too. Make me think much more clearly and quickly more than any other nootropic can do. I don't really take it in that high a dose as I can find it too stimulating, and tend to hold back on the usual amount of coffee each day when taking it. It's also quite motivating too.

I suspect it is something to do with my thyroid also as it helps to increase thyroid levels, i have always suspected that I have an underactive thyroid displaying all the symptoms, and have been to the doc before with them to get checked although blood tests come back fine. Strangley tyrosine elimiates these symptoms.

My only concern in the increase of melalin in the skin and it's affect on moles. I can't find too much info on this though so it might be safe.

That's an interesting side effect. Since I'm red haired and pigmentation impaired, this is good news.

#8 Rain

• 165 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:02 PM

^ have any of you noticed any side effects from long-term use at all? and what immediate effects do you get after taking?

i'm going to start at 750mg every morning soon!

Edited by Rain, 07 April 2010 - 11:02 PM.

#9 Imagination

• 350 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:04 PM

That's an interesting side effect. Since I'm red haired and pigmentation impaired, this is good news.

It is found in a lot of topical tanning accelerators and tanning pills, although you need sunlight also to tan better with it. I'm fairly fair skinned also and normally burn pretty easily, a while ago I had to have a couple of moles removed as they changed colour, i'm not sure if this had anything to do with the tyrosine directly but I was taking it at the time. I have also read some places that melalin protects the skin, so is good for it, confused!

#10 Declmem

• Topic Starter
  • 315 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:47 PM

L-Tyrosine just keeps getting better.

An example: Usually, I seem to be a special version of retarded at picking up lyrics from songs. I either can't tell wtf is being said, or my brain makes something up, and then I can't hear anything else. Lately, however, I have no problem with lyrics. And my brain has started re-evaluating even songs I've listened to for years. Suddenly I'll realize, "oh, that's what she's signing!" ;)

Lots of other strange and welcome surprises with this substance.
  • like x 1
  • Cheerful x 1
  • dislike x 1

#11 jCole

• 211 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:42 PM

One of my favorite daily supplements I take...

Check out the N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine version... more full absorbed, so you do not need to take as much. Also, make sure to take on a empty stomach and with some B6 .. all tho most N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine comes with B6 packed in...

http://www.lifelinkn...-L-Tyrosine.asp

Edited by jCole, 09 April 2010 - 09:45 PM.

#12 Declmem

• Topic Starter
  • 315 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:40 PM

One of my favorite daily supplements I take...

Check out the N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine version... more full absorbed, so you do not need to take as much. Also, make sure to take on a empty stomach and with some B6 .. all tho most N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine comes with B6 packed in...

http://www.lifelinkn...-L-Tyrosine.asp

Why b6? That's interesting that you mention it, because I've noticed its more effective if I take it with a b complex.

#13 jazzcat

• 139 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:54 PM

B6 helps the body with protein utilization. So when supplementing several grams of any amino acid B6 can help ensure proper utilization of that amino.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble but most supplements produce a honeymoon effect. Great results in the beginning but those results can diminish if you don't have the necessary augmenting nutrients and you need to balance the dopameragic system with the serotonergic system.

There are lots of other nutrients that are needed to convert tyrosine into DA. If you're low in any one of those nutrients the effect will be diminished. It's hard to know what nutrients you may need to add or increase unless you get some nutritionally oriented testing done.

But you can conclude that you have a nutritional problem that resulted in low neurotransmitter levels.

#14 Declmem

• Topic Starter
  • 315 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:09 PM

B6 helps the body with protein utilization. So when supplementing several grams of any amino acid B6 can help ensure proper utilization of that amino.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble but most supplements produce a honeymoon effect. Great results in the beginning but those results can diminish if you don't have the necessary augmenting nutrients and you need to balance the dopameragic system with the serotonergic system.

There are lots of other nutrients that are needed to convert tyrosine into DA. If you're low in any one of those nutrients the effect will be diminished. It's hard to know what nutrients you may need to add or increase unless you get some nutritionally oriented testing done.

You make a good point. Though, I usually don't get honeymoon periods - in fact I rarely respond to any supplements, and I've tried hundreds of them. Well, let's hope this honeymoon doesn't end soon ;)

But you can conclude that you have a nutritional problem that resulted in low neurotransmitter levels.

That's also a good point. Is there anything else you would think of that would help me raise my neurotransmitter levels?

I am kind of concerned about one side effect of L-Tyrosine - it seems to make me more aggressive.. more easily angered.

Maybe I have to experiment with different dosages. I'm also going to try the N-Acetyl version.

Thanks
  • like x 1

#15 jazzcat

• 139 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:57 PM

I am kind of concerned about one side effect of L-Tyrosine - it seems to make me more aggressive.. more easily angered.

That's a common reaction. And that, I think, has to do with balancing the serotonergic system with the dopameragic system. Most people take either 5HTP or tryptophan when supplementing tyrosine (or DLPA) to avoid that feeling of edginess.

And those two systems are the main ones for the most part, I think. If you lack focus or can't concentrate for long then you might need to increase acetylcholine.

#16 Declmem

• Topic Starter
  • 315 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:44 AM

That's a common reaction. And that, I think, has to do with balancing the serotonergic system with the dopameragic system. Most people take either 5HTP or tryptophan when supplementing tyrosine (or DLPA) to avoid that feeling of edginess.

And those two systems are the main ones for the most part, I think. If you lack focus or can't concentrate for long then you might need to increase acetylcholine.

I actually take Lexapro (an SSRI), so you'd think I'd be balanced already. Ah well, I'll experiment with some dosages and such.

I plan on augmenting it with CDP-Choline in the future.

Thanks for the thoughts.

#17 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:48 AM

If you lack focus or can't concentrate for long then you might need to increase acetylcholine.

Can you explain what you mean by this? Attention/motivation are usually thought to be modulated by dopamine, alpha-2A adenosine and norepinephrine systems. Dopamine being the big one.

Just about every dopaminergic causes downregulation of the receptors (aka tolerance). Though "nutrients" can be a issue too, many cofactors are needed to produce dopamine from its precursors. L-Tyrosine requires something called tyrosine hydroxylase (TH), among others, which becomes depleted fairly quickly if you take tyrosine every day (or so I hear).

#18 Rain

• 165 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:01 PM

1.8g of Tyrosine + 1.6g of Piracetam= Very good, improved mood, improved energy & concentration (but not for long).

#19 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:47 PM

1.8g of Tyrosine + 1.6g of Piracetam= Very good, improved mood, improved energy & concentration (but not for long).

You mean duration of effect after a dose, or you can't do it too many days in a row?

I'm trying to figure out which dopaminergic to order next week, primarily thinking for ADD-related motivation issues and socializing. At this point I think it will be either tyrosine or sulbutiamine.

#20 zm3thod

• 143 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:25 AM

Interesting thread. I have some powdered tyrosine that I've only taken once or twice; might be worth a shot to see if it helps with my memory (my nootropic goal)

#21 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:48 AM

Interesting thread. I have some powdered tyrosine that I've only taken once or twice; might be worth a shot to see if it helps with my memory (my nootropic goal)

Someone who has tried tyrosine can speak better to experience, but dopamine agonists generally affect motivation/focus and some aspects of mood more than they do memory. And I didn't see any specific mentions of that effect on the board, so I wouldn't expect modulation of memory.

#22 Rain

• 165 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:39 AM

You mean duration of effect after a dose, or you can't do it too many days in a row?

I'm trying to figure out which dopaminergic to order next week, primarily thinking for ADD-related motivation issues and socializing. At this point I think it will be either tyrosine or sulbutiamine.

Well i think i meant the concentration improvement didn't last for too long, but the others sort of did for a fair few hours.
I'm trying 1.6g of Piracetam + 2.5g Tyrosine in the morning today and then another 1.6g piracetam in 2 hrs, and see how i go ;)

#23 Declmem

• Topic Starter
  • 315 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:17 AM

Someone who has tried tyrosine can speak better to experience, but dopamine agonists generally affect motivation/focus and some aspects of mood more than they do memory. And I didn't see any specific mentions of that effect on the board, so I wouldn't expect modulation of memory.

Memory is my primary goal in supplementation as well. I think he's referring to my mention of memory in the original post of this thread. It does indeed have a profound impact on my long term recall.

#24 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:23 PM

Memory is my primary goal in supplementation as well. I think he's referring to my mention of memory in the original post of this thread. It does indeed have a profound impact on my long term recall.

Wow, I posted at the end of a very long day. Of course dopamine can modulate memory, I notice some clarity in recall from adderall sometimes. You may be the first person to mention this about tyrosine, though. Are you taking your doses every day, or have you been taking breaks? How long have you been using it for, and any tolerance yet?

#25 Declmem

• Topic Starter
  • 315 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:33 PM

Wow, I posted at the end of a very long day. Of course dopamine can modulate memory, I notice some clarity in recall from adderall sometimes. You may be the first person to mention this about tyrosine, though. Are you taking your doses every day, or have you been taking breaks? How long have you been using it for, and any tolerance yet?

I've been taking it for about a week and a half. This weekend I had a break. Too early to tell if I'm developing a tolerance yet ;)

#26 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:55 PM

I've been taking it for about a week and a half. This weekend I had a break. Too early to tell if I'm developing a tolerance yet ;)

I'm curious, did these noticeable improvements to memory/intelligence persist at all while you were taking a break, or is it more a "while you're on it" kind of effect?

Keep us posted about when and to what extent tolerance develops, it's not entirely clear from reading anecdotal reports here.

Edited by chrono, 12 April 2010 - 08:56 PM.

#27 Declmem

• Topic Starter
  • 315 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:02 PM

I'm not sure, I took a bit of a break from cognitive tests as well this weekend. Subjectively, my memory did seem a bit better than usual. But that could have also been because of the extra sleep I got.

I'll keep the thread posted as things progress ;)

Edited by Declmem, 12 April 2010 - 10:02 PM.

#28 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:45 PM

What tests are you using?

#29 Declmem

• Topic Starter
  • 315 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:55 AM

What tests are you using?

I programmed many tests, like word association tasks, or one that is kind of an extended version of Scattegories - since I noticed that (for me) playing scattegories often resulted in the "tip of the tongue" effect. So a focused test gave me an easier way to measure the effect of supplements on the "tip of the tongue" phenomenon.

Some simpler tests include going through a bunch of trivia cards and just jotting down how many names I forgot, how fast I was able to answer, and so on. This unfortunately requires owning a lot of trivia cards - which I do: all versions of trivial pursuit and a bunch of trivia books.

And I keep a list of ongoing memory issues during the day, like forgetting names, facts, etc.

Unfortunately, testing long term memory recall isn't as easy as testing short term memory ;)

Fortunately, my short term memory is excellent. It is long term declarative memory problems (thus my screen name) that brought me to this forum in the first place.

Edited by Declmem, 13 April 2010 - 12:56 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Jurence

• 137 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:28 AM

I took 1.5 grams yesterday morning rather than from regular .5 grams. I experienced higher motivation and energy levels. This may, however, have been due to my intense workout that morning.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users