Photo
- - - - -

Resveratrol and Hair Loss (Alopecia)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Actarus

• 15 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:44 AM

Hi, I just wanted some info about this topic. Aparently, Resveratrol woul inhibit the Aromatase, and inhibiting the aromatase could lead to an increase on hair loss (androgenetic alopecia), wich i'm worried about. What do you think about? I'd like to take Resv but i don't want to accelerate my baldness.

Some people reported an increase on hair when taking Resv (and i thought it could help), but if it is confirmed that it inhibits aromatase, the effect would surely be the opposite. So, should i be worried about that? is the aromatase inhibition confirmed?

#2 J_o_L

• 25 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:02 PM

My hair loss hasn't accelerated at all since taking res. Actually, the rate of my hair loss has even slowed down.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:48 PM

I cannot recall any consistent reports of hair loss in this forum, though there may have been a single such report, with no followup on results with cessation.

#4 Actarus

• Topic Starter
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:18 AM

Well, the fact is that AFAK, an aramotase inhibition would lead to Hair Loss. If Resv inhibites the aromatase, then that would be a problem, but there are no reports about that. Of course, every body is different and could react in a different way to this problem. It's a pity not having reports.

#5 J_o_L

• 25 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:22 PM

Why would aromatase inhibition lead to hair loss ?

#6 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:50 AM

That's what I was wondering. There have been observations of women taking aromatase inhibitors and developing androgenetic alopecia. I thought that in men, typical hair loss was driven by DHT, and AFAIK there's no connection between aromatase and DHT. (But watch someone prove me wrong on that...)

#7 fatboy

• 286 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:04 AM

That's what I was wondering. There have been observations of women taking aromatase inhibitors and developing androgenetic alopecia. I thought that in men, typical hair loss was driven by DHT, and AFAIK there's no connection between aromatase and DHT. (But watch someone prove me wrong on that...)

There is an indirect connection in the sense that excess testosterone converts to both estradiol and DHT. If you suppress one of those metabolic pathways, then I'd guess that the other pathway would have to be preferred. Suppress aromatase and the excess testosterone would tend towards DHT. Suppress 5-ar (via finasteride or avodart, e.g.) and the excess testosterone would tend towards estradiol. These are issues hypogonadal men on TRT have to deal with regularly (go bald or get man-boobs). But I'm just a hypogonadal computer scientist, so don't trust my layman's opinion.

Edited by fatboy, 07 May 2010 - 05:14 AM.

#8 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:58 AM

It gets complicated. Resveratrol is said to be an anti-aromatase, but not a very potent one. Resveratrol binds to estrogen receptors, but which ones? And while it may activate some estrogen receptors that it does bind to, it blocks others.

So resveratrol's effect on joint pain may be due less to an anti-aromatase activity, and more due to blocking of certain estrogen receptors which presumably would have the same effect as having less estrogen around.

Not definitive, but it does show we really do not know exactly what may be going on here.

#9 J_o_L

• 25 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:48 PM

Some say that alopecia androgenetica is the consquence of micro-inflammation in and around the hair follicles. If that's true, resveratrol and other anti-inflammatories (like curcumin) should have a positive effect on androgenetic hair loss. The combo resveratrol/curcumin has been patented for the treatment of hair loss...

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 Actarus

• Topic Starter
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:50 AM

Some say that alopecia androgenetica is the consquence of micro-inflammation in and around the hair follicles. If that's true, resveratrol and other anti-inflammatories (like curcumin) should have a positive effect on androgenetic hair loss. The combo resveratrol/curcumin has been patented for the treatment of hair loss...

Not sure about Curcumin, look here:

http://www.nlm.nih.g...t-turmeric.html

In Side Effects and Warnings, it says:
In animal studies, hair loss (alopecia) and lowering of blood pressure have been reported

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users