Photo

I Need help choosing Uni for a Life Extension career

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Descent

• 7 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:43 PM

Hey all,
Thanks for taking a look, I was wondering if anyone in the UK, or just anyone who would know in general, could point me in the direction of the correct course for University studies, and the place to do it.
Ideally I'd like to end up with a career in the biological side of life extension and it's attainment, so I am searching for the right course to take. I'm not entirely sure as to the varying levels of depth to these qualifications and courses, but I would like to take whatever course you could recommend as being an ideal starting point for a career in biological life extension research and development.
I'm in UK year 12, coming to the end of AS-Level studies in Biology, Physics, Chemistry, and Maths. I'm intending to drop Maths for A2, but can consider continuing with it if necessary.

In short, could someone in the know please point me in the direction of an ideal course and university? Cost and ambition are not a problem, so no exclusions are necessary, I simply ask for some guidance, as currently if I see Biological engineering, Biochemistry, Biological sciences, Genetic engineering, etc, in front of me, I am not sure whatsoever as to what course(s) would benefit this career, or the university at which to take them.

Sorry if I've been a bit vague or if this is not the right section, but thanks for reading!

Edited by Descent, 05 May 2010 - 02:43 PM.

• like x 1

#2 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:40 PM

Having just been through it, I don't think it matters at all what courses you take. It may matter a little bit how many credentials you can pile up, papers, reputable university (just get those from the rankings). But don't overestimate credentials -- they help you do only one thing: To get help from people who don't have time to evaluate you or your project properly. Otherwise, they're useless. What matters most that you don't get suckered in by academic, career or social contagion, but actually start working on life extension as soon as you get the opportunity.

#3 Descent

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:51 PM

Wow, really? Thank you very much for the advice, I was just looking to narrow the broad spectrum of Biology and Chemistry down to somthing a bit more useful to biological life extension.
I suppose I just want to know what would help me most in such a career, rather than taking Law or some Expressive arts course, and whether any particular university would do it better. So, if I've read you correctly, you are saying find any good university I can get into, pick any subject I think will help, do well, and get to work ASAP?

Thanks for the advice, but I suppose I'm still a little confused, if not more so :|o
In fairness I was just wondering out of all these Molecular Biologies, Biochemistries, Genetic Engineerings, Biomedical Sciences, etc, what would give me the knowledge I need to try and make an impact on life extension.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 09:06 PM

Of course, when in doubt, pick things with bio in it, not arts.

#5 Descent

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 09:15 PM

Of course, when in doubt, pick things with bio in it, not arts.

Hehehe, yeah I just wanted something that would be specific to the field, like I didn't want to pick the first Biology on the list and end up studying plant structure for a few years. I was wondering what areas would be best suited to longevity, like would the best choice be Genetics, or would I be better going with Biochemistry, or Molecular Biology, or something more general?

#6 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:11 AM

Do you have a regional preference?

#7 Descent

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:28 PM

Do you have a regional preference?

Anywhere in the UK really, there isn't any preference.

#8 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:19 PM

Do any of you think a topic like this suggestion here would be useful?

If there was such a topic, people like me could help handle these (increasing) number of questions like this by directing them there. Maybe its already covered by the various other topics in the careers forum.

http://www.imminst.o...o...c=40641&hl=

#9 Neorxnawang

• 12 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:52 PM

Descent - I'd recommend Cambridge for what you are discussing. They have a lot of very excellent bio-science programs, check out the following link:

http://www.bio.cam.ac.uk/

If you drop Maths for A2 then do something like Computer Science as this is invaluable once you really need to start doing number crunching and modeling data.

To get into Cambs you really need to be looking at AAAA and really another A would be beneficial as well, then go through the selection process. This is damn tough and will be a real slog academically, but if you get in then you are on the right course.

If you can get A at A-level Chem, Physics and Biology and A at AS Math and Computer science (if you drop Maths in the second year), you may also want to consider grabbing another AS in your final year.

If Cambs seems a bit on the hardcore side, I can recommend some other Uni's as well.

#10 Warp_Splinter

• 4 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:20 AM

I'm not familiar with the meaning of AS, A2, etc. but in general I would say that more math and other quantitative courses, not less, is better.

As for choosing a major, bioengineering seems like a good option because it is of course directly related to biology but also retains the quantitative (engineering) emphasis. Biochemistry, molecular biology, and cell biology are all good choices as well, and even degrees in mathematics, physics, or chemistry can lead to graduate studies in the biological sciences.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users