• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Stuff to reduce cortisol/block glucocorticoid receptors?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:03 AM

I don't really see anything in terms of supps or drugs that can really do this. I am interested in hearing about both. The only thing I've heard of is Phosphatidyl Serine, but any useful dose is far to expensive.

#2 ken_akiba

• 199 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:44 AM

Try Relora. Its main ingredients, magnolol and honokiol have been used in Japanese Kampo medicine (folk medicine) for centuries. I have tried Relora a couple of times, it does seem to take edge off. I do not know how much honokiol is in it though, becuase honokiol in large amount can thin blood quite a lot.

Take it ez :-)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 NDM

• 343 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:06 AM

i vaguely remember holy basil as being indicated for cortisol reduction...

#4 Guacamolium

• 747 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:32 AM

I don't really see anything in terms of supps or drugs that can really do this. I am interested in hearing about both. The only thing I've heard of is Phosphatidyl Serine, but any useful dose is far to expensive.

Try prosource supplements. I hate them but they make ONE supp I can use for the price and quality. PS pure and 500mg per caplet. Actually, if you look at my profile pic, to the left of my cat, you'll see the bottle. Hope that helps.

#5 cougar

• 114 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:16 PM

Try prosource supplements. I hate them but they make ONE supp I can use for the price and quality. PS pure and 500mg per caplet. Actually, if you look at my profile pic, to the left of my cat, you'll see the bottle. Hope that helps.

The image of the bottle is not clear enough for me to recognize what it is.

EDIT:
What do you mean by "PS pure and 500mg per caplet". I found that 100mg PS before bed was extremely helpful in terms of "waking up in the night and unable to fall back asleep". But, it worked for only two nights and no longer work anymore. Increased the dose to 200mg and worked for another two nights. I've tried almost everything, nothing worked for more than two nights. I'm currently taking 200mg magnesium glycinate, 100mg magnesium taurate, 25mg P5P, zinc, 250mcg timed release melatonin, 150mg ashawaghonda, bacopa, 100mg PS. Usually I wake up 3.5-4.5 hours after falling asleep and then having huge difficulty falling back asleep again. I hate my sleeping problem because no matter what I take, it worked great for no more than two nights.

Edited by cougar, 11 May 2010 - 03:31 PM.

#6 Chaos Theory

• 272 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:40 PM

I'm pretty sure ashwagandha is proven to reduce cortisol.

http://www.lef.org/m...rt_ashwa_01.htm

In one of the most complete human clinical trials to date, researchers studied the effects of a standardized extract of ashwagandha on the negative effects of stress, including elevated levels of the stress hormone cortisol. Many of the adverse effects of stress are thought to be related to elevated levels of cortisol. The results were impressive. The participants subjectively reported increased energy, reduced fatigue, better sleep, and an enhanced sense of well-being. The participants showed several measurable improvements, including a reduction of cortisol levels up to 26%, a decline in fasting blood sugar levels, and improved lipid profiles. It would appear from this study that ashwagandha can address many of the health and psychological issues that plague today’s society.

I've used the Jarrow brand for a while which contains Sensoril Ashwagandha. I take it before bed because it is slightly sedative. It's one of the few supplements I can really feel the benefits from. Definitely better sleep and decreased stress.

#7 shaggy

• 282 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:46 PM

My personal choice is Theanine serine from Source Naturals. Contains the obvious, as well as Relora, magnesium and Holy Basil.

It certainly mellows me out in times of stress.

#8 Guacamolium

• 747 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:03 PM

The image of the bottle is not clear enough for me to recognize what it is.

EDIT:
What do you mean by "PS pure and 500mg per caplet". I found that 100mg PS before bed was extremely helpful in terms of "waking up in the night and unable to fall back asleep". But, it worked for only two nights and no longer work anymore. Increased the dose to 200mg and worked for another two nights. I've tried almost everything, nothing worked for more than two nights. I'm currently taking 200mg magnesium glycinate, 100mg magnesium taurate, 25mg P5P, zinc, 250mcg timed release melatonin, 150mg ashawaghonda, bacopa, 100mg PS. Usually I wake up 3.5-4.5 hours after falling asleep and then having huge difficulty falling back asleep again. I hate my sleeping problem because no matter what I take, it worked great for no more than two nights.

Well, OP doesn't particularly say why he wants to reduce cortisol ITT, but I gave him a pure PS source that is the best price out there, or at least was a year ago, and I haven't seen a company make a higher dose version since.

#9 Guacamolium

• 747 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:20 PM

Well bad news on my source OP, but I checked on Prosource Super Phosphatidylserine, and it's been reformulated into something else. =(

My bottle of PS is 60 caplets at 550mg of PS. At the time it was 39.99, sometimes 34.99. Sucks, cause that was the only supplement that was worthwhile to buy from Prosource. Now you have me wondering where to get a high-dosage PS only supplement.

#10 k10

• Guest, F@H
  • 310 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:14 AM

Cyproheptadine (an excellent antihistamine, over-the-counter)
Deprenyl is used in animals to reduce cortisol

Edited by k10, 12 May 2010 - 12:15 AM.

#11 Guacamolium

• 747 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:23 AM

Cyproheptadine (an excellent antihistamine, over-the-counter)
Deprenyl is used in animals to reduce cortisol

Oh, learn something new. You might want to consider GABA + beta alanine at night to protect your brain and (I now know) cortisol levels at night.

#12 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:28 PM

I already take GABA at night.

It seems that there's no way to directly block glucocorticoid receptors except for mifepristone, aka the abortion pill (works by antagonizing progesterone receptors).

#13 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:30 PM

Methylene Blue will block glucocorticoid receptors.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/20348093

According to this paper MB inhibits HSP70 at concentrations of a few uM.

... methylene blue inhibits the ability of the purified Hsp90/Hsp70-based chaperone machinery to enable ligand binding by the glucocorticoid receptor and ... this effect is due to specific inhibition of Hsp70.

But, this might actually increase cortisol levels. Beware.

Edited by rwac, 12 May 2010 - 11:01 PM.

#14 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:40 PM

It should still have a net effect of lowering cortisol effects, right?

#15 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:55 PM

It should still have a net effect of lowering cortisol effects, right?

What effects of cortisol were you trying to lower ?

I would expect it to lower the effects of cortisol in tissues with high metabolism (and thus higher concentration of MB) like the brain and liver, and increase the effects of cortisol otherwise.

Edited by rwac, 13 May 2010 - 04:32 PM.

#16 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:45 PM

I am looking to get rid of the fatigue issues, insomnia, stress, and improve my memory. My memory seems to fit the description of someone with high cortisol (flashbulb memory).

#17 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:14 PM

I am looking to get rid of the fatigue issues, insomnia, stress, and improve my memory. My memory seems to fit the description of someone with high cortisol (flashbulb memory).

I'd say it's worth a shot. Keep in mind that it won't cure any underlying issues though.

Take a B-Complex with it. I like this one: http://www.iherb.com...Caps/18126?at=0

Dosage: Something less than say 1mg.

Potential side effects of high cortisol: Higher blood sugar readings, weight gain, etc.

#18 connorphenix

• 11 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:49 PM

Endoamp Max has 800mg of phosphatidylserine per serving plus Alpha GPC @ 49.95 for 29 servings.

#19 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:59 PM

@rwac: That would be perfect for me, considering the only thing that doesn't fit in the symptom list of high cortisol for me is the fact that I am quite skinny.

Where can I get Methylene Blue?

Edited by OneScrewLoose, 14 May 2010 - 12:00 AM.

#20 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 12:29 AM

You can get it either as a lab chemical or from an aquarium store as an anti-fungal for fish.

Another potential side effect: you might develop some low blood pressure. I believe Geddarkstorm had this problem too.

#21 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 May 2010 - 01:27 AM

It's usually slightly high anyway

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#22 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 02:36 AM

Anyway, this is the stuff I use. I got it from a local aquarium type store.

http://www.amazon.co...s...4412&sr=8-5

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users