Photo
- - - - -

Best one-time supplement for situational anxiety

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 DO1234

• 32 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:31 PM

I'm getting married in August and in the past wedding ceremonies that I've been in have always provoked a decent amount of anxiety in me. I'm wondering if there's something I can take in the form of a supplement to help with this. Having read through the forums and researched this a bit elsewhere the two things that seems like they might be great are theanine (perhaps 200-300mg although it seems more wouldn't necessarily be harmful) and chamomile tea. I'd love to hear any other suggestions.

Also, I know I could get a prescription for something more "powerful" but I'd really like to avoid that. Unless there's something that's good for this type of situation and fairly harmless and non-habit forming.

#2 LabRat84

• 116 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:51 PM

I'm getting married in August and in the past wedding ceremonies that I've been in have always provoked a decent amount of anxiety in me. I'm wondering if there's something I can take in the form of a supplement to help with this. Having read through the forums and researched this a bit elsewhere the two things that seems like they might be great are theanine (perhaps 200-300mg although it seems more wouldn't necessarily be harmful) and chamomile tea. I'd love to hear any other suggestions.

Also, I know I could get a prescription for something more "powerful" but I'd really like to avoid that. Unless there's something that's good for this type of situation and fairly harmless and non-habit forming.

For situational anxiety, beta-blockers are often prescribed to take as needed. They're not habit-forming, and if you don't have a pre-existing heart condition, they're pretty safe. For a supplement, you might want to try picamilon, a GABA analogue.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 KimberCT

• 472 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:57 PM

For a one time event, I wouldn't hesitate to get an Rx for a benzodiazepine. Just remember not to booze it up at the wedding.

Theanine is a good mild anxyolitic. I've taken up to 1g at a time. You could dissolve a few grams in a water bottle and sip on it. Also, unlike benzos, it can safely be mixed with alcohol.

Kava kava is also a good choice. Just remember to try it a few times before the wedding to see how you react to it. Some people need higher doses than others. I typically take 4 capsules of kava kava extract for anxiety relief. It is also safe to mix with alcohol for a one time event.
  • like x 1

#4 KimberCT

• 472 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:57 PM

For situational anxiety, beta-blockers are often prescribed to take as needed. They're not habit-forming, and if you don't have a pre-existing heart condition, they're pretty safe. For a supplement, you might want to try picamilon, a GABA analogue.

Good choices as well.

#5 DO1234

• Topic Starter
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:01 PM

Wow. Thanks for all the great replies so far. I should mention that I'm definitely planning to consume some champagne at the wedding so perhaps benzos are out. I do have some kava kava and haven't used it much but I'll give that a try ahead of time to see how it affects me. I probably will also try a larger dose of theanine ahead of time as well. The idea to dissolve some in water in genius. Finally, I'll look into beta blockers. Are there any problems mixing beta blockers with kava kava, theanine or alcohol?

#6 goatz

• 91 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:33 PM

just a quick tip, dont use afobazol if you plan to drink alchohol. Made me feel like my entire head was swollen

#7 KimberCT

• 472 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:46 PM

Wow. Thanks for all the great replies so far. I should mention that I'm definitely planning to consume some champagne at the wedding so perhaps benzos are out. I do have some kava kava and haven't used it much but I'll give that a try ahead of time to see how it affects me. I probably will also try a larger dose of theanine ahead of time as well. The idea to dissolve some in water in genius. Finally, I'll look into beta blockers. Are there any problems mixing beta blockers with kava kava, theanine or alcohol?

You shouldn't have any problems mixing beta blockers with any of the above, however, I would still give them a try before the wedding.  Some people recommend taking 10-20mg (propranolol) the night before and then another 20mg before the event.  Personally, beta blockers give me insomnia, so I take my first dose as soon as I get up in the morning and the second before the event.

If you want to go all out with the water idea, you could dissolve the theanine, picamilon, and some liquid ionic magnesium all the same bottle.  I think I'll be giving this a shot as well.

#8 elecdonia

• 39 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:01 PM

Please be cautious about benzodiazepines (Xanax, Ativan, Klonopin, Valium, etc.). Some doctors hand out benzos like candy. This does NOT mean that benzos are safe or free of side effects.

Benzos and alchohol don't mix well at all.

One effect of Benzodiazepines is that they can suppress memory. Obviously this isn't a good side effect for an important "once in a lifetime" event like your wedding.

Benzos are often used for sedation during medical procedures such as colonoscopy, cataract surgery, and tooth extractions. As I understand it, one of the main actions of the benzo is to prevent the patient from having a long-term memory of the medical procedure.

Theanine is generally safe and has very few side effects. I have used it frequently myself as a supplement.

There are some supplements that combine theanine with other "anti-anxiety" substances. Source Naturals "Theanine Serene with Relora" is one that I've used extensively. It works well for me.

Don't forget about "non-chemical" ways to reduce anxiety: CBT, meditation, counseling, or a good cardio exercise regime

I recommend experimenting with things like theanine well in advance of your wedding. This will help you make an informed decision about what to do when the big day comes.

#9 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:38 PM

Just want to second the warning about benzodiazepines and suppressing memory formation during one of the most important events of your life. Probably a bad idea.
  • Agree x 1

#10 gregandbeaker

• 184 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:21 PM

Too be fair, .5mg of XANAX isn't going to suppress his memories. Its just going to take the edge off. If his only memory is a sweating near panic state during his wedding what good is that? Start taking it every day or use it as a party drug and you'll have problems, but you can say that about almost anything.

#11 meursault

• 370 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:34 PM

I would suggest that you overcome this psychologically by trying meditation. 2+ months of practice should be adequate to help you begin to control your emotions and reduce your anxiety. It might not foster complete control, but you run a greater risk by using supplements that do nothing or lead to memory loss, socially unacceptable reduction of social inhibition, or perhaps undesirable physical effects. You can't really "practice" for your wedding ceremony with supplements or drugs, but meditation might give you the tools to overcome anxiety through long-term reflection and benefits that you could practice using in your daily life until the big day.

#12 winston

• 150 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:24 PM

If weddings are really your only significant anxiety problem then I'd just get some beta blockers online (probably don't want to pay for a doc visit for one event). If you have other issues, still get the beta blockers( or other one time thing), but also try CBT meditation, etc

#13 425runner

• 158 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:10 PM

Don't take any Xanax!! Especially if you're planning to enjoy the wedding and have a glass of champagne. Phenibut 250 mg would be enough. Or even some Magnesium and Taurine would calm the jitters.

Have fun! :)
  • Agree x 1

#14 winston

• 150 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:12 AM

Note that phenibut potentiates alcohol and gives you a "hangover" the next day, atleast with allot of people. Some people like it, some don't (the hangover).

#15 outsider

• 396 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:48 AM

The best you could do is visualise your wedding like you want it to be, smooth and memorable. The brain doesn't differentiate your visualisations from the real thing. Doing so will give you confidence like doing rehearsals. Do it every night before sleeping like a prayer, you have some time ahead of you so this is perfect.

#16 Yearningforyears

• 230 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:05 PM

Calamus root. It´s the best!
Chew on it or have a small piece under your lip. Zaps all anxiety in an instant. Non sedating. Effects fade quickly when you dispose of it.

#17 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 03:09 PM

Too be fair, .5mg of XANAX isn't going to suppress his memories. Its just going to take the edge off. If his only memory is a sweating near panic state during his wedding what good is that? Start taking it every day or use it as a party drug and you'll have problems, but you can say that about almost anything.

I disagree. I've noticed significant anterograde amnesia when combining low-therapeutic doses of benzos (.5mg xanax or 1mg clonazepam) with low to moderate doses of alcohol. The alcohol increases the amnesiac effect. It's a great social combination, but there's a very good chance that some memories will not be encoded properly.

As an aside, erowid mentions several papers suggesting that Vitamin C, piracetam and vinpocetine might help ameliorate benzo amnesia.

The intent to combine with alcohol makes this a tough question, as it eliminates some of the most effective and enjoyable options. Things like theanine, lemon balm, or taurine might help a little, but I wouldn't expect much, and would try them out beforehand. Beta blockers might be your best bet without venturing into more esoteric or illegal territory.

Edited by chrono, 30 May 2010 - 09:06 PM.

• Agree x 1

#18 chrwe

• Guest,
  • 223 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 03:50 PM

Calamus has been linked to carzinogenic effects due to ß-asaron. I`d stay on the safe side and away from it.

#19 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:07 AM

Too be fair, .5mg of XANAX isn't going to suppress his memories. Its just going to take the edge off...

I disagree. I've noticed significant anterograde amnesia when combining low-therapeutic doses of benzos (.5mg xanax or 1mg clonazepam) with low to moderate doses of alcohol. The alcohol increases the amnesiac effect. It's a great social combination, but there's a very good chance that some memories will not be encoded properly.
The intent to combine with alcohol makes this a tough question, as it eliminates some of the most effective and enjoyable options. Things like theanine, lemon balm, or taurine might help a little, but I wouldn't expect much, and would try them out beforehand. Beta blockers might be your best bet without venturing into more esoteric or illegal territory.

So chrono if memory encoding, compatibility with alcohol, and sustainability (in terms of feasibility long term, optimum health, function etc) are not of concern; what would be your most effective/enjoyable recommendations?

#20 outsider

• 396 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:26 AM

Calamus has been linked to carzinogenic effects due to ß-asaron. I`d stay on the safe side and away from it.

Calamus is perfectly safe as far as cancer is concerned and only stupidly designed "science proven" study can find problem with this herb.

Calamus has been through the test of time for milleniums.

It's interesting to note that the authorities are always screaming very loud when some study come up with bad results but when it's about good results with dozen of studies to prove it, well it's never proven and should need further more well designed studies before drawing any conclusion. Funny.
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#21 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:21 PM

So chrono if memory encoding, compatibility with alcohol, and sustainability (in terms of feasibility long term, optimum health, function etc) are not of concern; what would be your most effective/enjoyable recommendations?

I probably wouldn't recommend the things that would be most enjoyable, LOL. I'm a firm believer that substances aren't inherently evil, and everything has its place as long as it's used safely. And constructing your consciousness on one of the most meaningful days of your life is a time when it might be excusable to use things which are otherwise pretty naughty. Opioids, empathogens, psychedelics, stimulants, other GABAergics/sedatives/hypnotics? Picking from these groups would be a complex choice based on what state of mind you want, your own reactions, and practical usage concerns (i.e. safety).

For situational anxiety in general, without those parameters you mention, benzos might be the best bet. They're very effective, and the immediate freedom from anxiety they offer is very enjoyable if it's something you suffer from. If alcohol was removed from the picture, I'd even say low doses might be appropriate for the wedding situation we're discussing (I'm pretty intrigued by the possibility of ameliorating memory problems, as I posted above). But even here, personal reaction based on physiology and psychology is a big variable. For example, xanax makes me pretty tired at any dose and isn't "fun" at all, valium is barely effective, ativan is very effective while being subjectively "transparent," and klonopin is both effective and delightful. But I know people who have the exact opposite reaction to any of these.

As discussed recently in another thread (way at the end), opioids also have possibility in this area, but I feel like the effect is less targeted to anxiety than benzos, and anxiolysis is more a byproduct of general euphoria. Probably more enjoyable, but also probably more "dopey" in certain (perhaps subtle) ways.

In the context of the kinds of substances we're interested in here, phenibut is a more recreational-sounding option. A combination of "lesser" substances might be worth experimenting with, too; L-theanine, lemon balm, gabapentin, picamilon. I find dopaminergics like NALT, transdermal nicotine and even manganese to be subtly helpful for social interactions as well. Afobazol and selank are two options which might be useful if built up for a couple of days...these are somewhere between situational and long-term solutions, and may be more or less useful depending on how much general anxiety is mixed in with social.

#22 winston

• 150 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:37 AM

I plan on taking 10mg hydrocodone on the day I'm going for my first skydive :-D. Would probably do the same if it were my wedding. Fyi, the skydive will be tandem, so the minor decrease in motor control I get at 10mg shouldn't be a problem.

Opiates are a bit of an overkill for killing anxiety, but I think they'd be the best option in your case. You'll probably remember the wedding, not being high.

#23 DO1234

• Topic Starter
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:24 PM

Thanks so much for these replies. I think I have a pretty good understanding of options and trade-offs.

Two questions on the theanine front. I'm planning to take a decent-sized dose (maybe 600mg-1g) the day of. I have purchased Theanine Serene (http://www.sourcenat...roducts/GP1787/) and I would need to take 10 tablets to get to 1g.

#1 - Should I take them all at once or space them throughout the day? Spacing seems like a better idea but I wasn't sure.

#2 - Since Serene also contains a fair amount of GABA (500mg in 2 tablets) and Taurine (450mg in 2 tablets) I'm a little concerned I'll be taking too much GABA or Taurine. Would taking 2.5g of GABA or 2.25g of Taurine in one day cause any problems?

I know the answer is likely to "just try it" but I wanted to see if anyone happened to have any thoughts/experiments on either front.

Thanks again for all the help!

#24 jochenp

• 14 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:18 PM

I don't know about the GABA, but Taurine is very safe in even large doses, and 2 grams is far from a large dose (I think a can of redbull has 2 grams of taurine)

#25 Elenai

• 46 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:48 PM

Hello

Can I ask one question related to the above, please? I am terrified of flying but have to do it in two weeks. My doctor prescribed something similar to valium before but I can not take it as I am breastfeeding. So is there any natural remedies I can take to "not feel as bad" during the flight? Thanks in advance

#26 425runner

• 158 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:02 AM

Guys - I need help!! I have to make a presentation which lasts for 15 minutes, to a group of people and I'm very...very shy by nature. I've only made presentations when part of a group, never alone.....

I feel panicky and stressed out about it already! What can I do? I exercise etc. but I have an accent and find it hard to talk for more then 2 min.

Thanks!! ;)

#27 KimberCT

• 472 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:56 AM

Guys - I need help!! I have to make a presentation which lasts for 15 minutes, to a group of people and I'm very...very shy by nature. I've only made presentations when part of a group, never alone.....

I feel panicky and stressed out about it already! What can I do? I exercise etc. but I have an accent and find it hard to talk for more then 2 min.

Thanks!! ;)

Propranolol.  Also, accents are cool.  :)

#28 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:21 AM

Thanks!! :)

I have always found a few beers (depending on your tolerance) did a good job calming the nerves a little before a presentation! ;) I feel almost inappropriate saying that but I don't think I can put it any better than Hunter S. Thompson "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me". ;)

Edited by icantgoforthat, 15 June 2010 - 11:22 AM.

#29 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:38 PM

Thanks so much for these replies. I think I have a pretty good understanding of options and trade-offs.

Two questions on the theanine front. I'm planning to take a decent-sized dose (maybe 600mg-1g) the day of. I have purchased Theanine Serene (http://www.sourcenat...roducts/GP1787/) and I would need to take 10 tablets to get to 1g.

#1 - Should I take them all at once or space them throughout the day? Spacing seems like a better idea but I wasn't sure.

#2 - Since Serene also contains a fair amount of GABA (500mg in 2 tablets) and Taurine (450mg in 2 tablets) I'm a little concerned I'll be taking too much GABA or Taurine. Would taking 2.5g of GABA or 2.25g of Taurine in one day cause any problems?

I think this combo is safe...2g of taurine is a medium dose, and some people here have mentioned taking 2g or so of GABA.

But I have to say, I think this might be going overboard. GABA and taurine probably make you sleepy at least as much as they affect anxiety. And 1g of theanine is going to be very sedative, as well. Unless you take caffeine to balance it out, you're going to be ready for sleep at like 6pm.

And a low dose of propanolol might still be an alternative/combo worth thinking about.

I would start trying it out at lower dosages, and see how you react. You might be better off combining a lower dose of theanine with something like lemon balm or magnolia bark, which are probably less sedating than sizable amounts of taurine + GABA.

Edited by chrono, 16 June 2010 - 07:40 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Andrey_81

• 249 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

What do you think about combination of beta-blocker (propranolol) with bromazepam (lexaurine)???
Bromazepam will 'kill' my emotions and propranolol will help with the rush of adrenaline. Of course, this combo is only for situations that happen very, very rarely (job interview, presentations...).

Edited by Andrey_81, 08 January 2013 - 12:56 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users