Photo
- - - - -

highest safe dose of magnesium citrate?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 csrpj

• 411 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:50 AM

i want to experience and see how a high-dose feels like, given normal doses calm me down subtly. what's the highest i should take?

#2 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:18 AM

How much do you take now?

If you increase the dose too much, you'll just end up spending all of your time in the bathroom.

High dose mag citrate = laxative.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 chrwe

• Guest,
  • 223 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:31 AM

I havent seen any evidence high doses of magnesium are harmful per se, however you will end up getting very bad diarrhea. And you probably dont need very high doses.

#4 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:44 AM

Which one can you take high dose of without getting bad stomach?

#5 adamh

• 1,013 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:39 PM

I keep hearing that diarrhea comment about mg citrate. I take 4 tabs a day which gives 225 mg of mg per tab. I was taking 5 per day with no problems and no problems on 4. I eat almost only vegetables so I have a high fiber intake as well. Are people just repeating what they have heard or is it their personal experience and if so, on what dosage?

I've been taking mg in low dose for a long time and upped it a few months ago. I feel a lot better on the higher dosage. I notice in the morning I feel better.

Edited by adamh, 28 May 2010 - 03:40 PM.

#6 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:00 PM

Right around 800mg seems to be my limit.

#7 adamh

• 1,013 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 04:03 PM

Right around 800mg seems to be my limit.

Is that 800 mg of elemental mag or 800 mg of mag citrate? I'm taking the equivalent of 900 mg of mag per day and even at higher doses had no problem.

I think humans have a tendency to repeat what they hear said. One or two people have a bad reaction to something and talk about it. Others hear their report and repeat it. Others hear the second hand reports and repeat them. Finally the verdict is to avoid the supplement altogether because it will do something bad to you.

The percentage of people who have a bad reaction to a given product might be low but everyone gets scared because they assume they will have a bad result. Sometimes it goes the other way and the rare good result gets talked up and people think it always does that. It could even be placebo but for a while the item is hot and everyone wants it.

#8 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 04:38 PM

I think humans have a tendency to repeat what they hear said. One or two people have a bad reaction to something and talk about it. Others hear their report and repeat it. Others hear the second hand reports and repeat them. Finally the verdict is to avoid the supplement altogether because it will do something bad to you.

I tried around 600-800mg or so of mag citrate a while ago, and I did have looser bowel movements. And had to go more often.

Everyone is different regarding dosing. Some can tolerate higher doses, some can't. Some are prone to constipation, so it's a benefit to them.

Mag citrate is a laxative at high doses... for most. It's not a placebo effect. It's used as a laxative when getting a colonoscopy, for instance. What constitutes a 'high dose' or cause the laxative effect will vary by person.

Edited by nameless, 29 May 2010 - 04:40 PM.

#9 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:21 PM

Why would one want to take a high dose of citrate when far better forms of magnesium with less side effects are readily available?

I take the glycinate form of magnesium and have zero side effects from taking it daily.

Edited by pycnogenol, 29 May 2010 - 11:23 PM.

#10 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:38 PM

Why would one want to take a high dose of citrate when far better forms of magnesium with less side effects are readily available?

I take the glycinate form of magnesium and have zero side effects from taking it daily.

Citrate is cheaper and more dense (few pills for same elemental magnesium). I've tried magnesium malate glycinate and they have same laxative effects as citrate for me (for the same
amount of elemental magnesium).

#11 adamh

• 1,013 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:51 PM

It might be that any form of mag should be taken at a low dose to start and gradually increase. I use to take a low dose but when I ramped up to 900 mg elemental mag per day I felt a lot better. It's wonderful stuff and I would not have tried the larger doses if I didn't read reports about it working well. I had no side effects at 1125 mg per day. That's about 4 gm of citrate. I may go back to that dose.

My point was just that people hear that it might do this and that and get scared. Or they think glycinate is the only good type. Or they pay too much for a certain brand. I think you can get used to any type.

#12 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:10 PM

Mg citrate gave me loose stool from 200-400mg elemental, even on a multi-week titration. It was very annoying, and well worth paying more money to avoid. Taking Mg taurate right now, and am quite happy with it. Is magnesium itself a laxative? Most people on the board have said that other forms like malate, glycinate, and taurate don't have this effect for them, at least in the ~400mg range.

I'd like to expand the scope of this question, and ask if there's any point at which a dosage of magnesium is too high, regardless of the counterion? The recent study regarding mg threonate and the benefits of brain magnesium was conducted because existing forms of magnesium are very ineffective at raising brain levels...a higher dose is one possible solution while we're waiting for more info about threonate.
  • like x 1

#13 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:33 PM

I would think if you go too high with mag, it'd throw off mineral balance, such as calcium (and maybe manganese?). And depending on the chelating agent, one would need to make sure high doses of taurine, glycinate, malate, etc. weren't causing an issue (really doubt most would, besides the laxative problem mentioned).

As to what that dose would be... no idea. It'd depend on dietary intakes of not only mag, but calcium too, so it'd vary by person.

The mg threonate/brain barrier thing is interesting, but it may be a good idea to first wait for studies and see if there is a good reason why most magnesiums don't raise brain levels.

Edited by nameless, 31 May 2010 - 08:34 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#14 alecnevsky

• 344 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:35 AM

I used to take 1g per day of mag orotate and felt great.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users