Photo
- - - - -

Extremely Slow Caffeine Metabolism

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 tritium

• 384 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:02 AM

I have noticed that my body's metabolism of caffeine is extremely slow compared to other people. For example, today I drank two energy drinks around 6:30am and my heart is still racing now around 11pm. I told my doctor about this a while ago. He ordered a liver test, but everything checked out normal. I take it for the energy and motivation boost, but the next day is much worse because of the lack of sleep. It is like I can only choose either sleep or energy, but rarely both on the same day. Any ideas on possible causes of this and possible remedies?

#2 sootedninjas

• 10 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:44 AM

I have noticed that my body's metabolism of caffeine is extremely slow compared to other people. For example, today I drank two energy drinks around 6:30am and my heart is still racing now around 11pm. I told my doctor about this a while ago. He ordered a liver test, but everything checked out normal. I take it for the energy and motivation boost, but the next day is much worse because of the lack of sleep. It is like I can only choose either sleep or energy, but rarely both on the same day. Any ideas on possible causes of this and possible remedies?

how about drinking less until you find the right dosage ! why would you drink 2 energy drinks when you know it will keep you awake all night long. maybe just doing 1/2 a drink.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:34 AM

Hey maybe you'll benefit from the caffeine more:

http://groups.google...8ed993cc?hl=en#

#4 KimberCT

• 472 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 02:59 PM

Some people are genetically poor metabolizers of drugs like caffeine, while others are rapid metabolizers.

Are you taking any medications or supplements that inhibit CYP1A2?

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:16 AM

The slow caffeine metabolizer phenotype is relatively common. I have it myself. Two energy drinks is potentially a lot of caffeine, and there's no telling what else was in there. Can you post the contents of the drink? For people like us, a lot of caffeine isn't healthy. I'd recommend skipping the energy drinks. Try Green Tea Extract for a motivation boost. Also make sure that you are getting enough sleep, eating decently, and getting enough exercise.

#6 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:07 AM

I may have this too. Does the slow metabolism cause sensitivity to very small amounts, or just prolongation of effect?

Getting a pill splitter and some caffeine pills may be the easiest way to ingest smaller amounts of caffeine. I usually take 1/8 of a 200mg no-doze (25mg).

Edited by chrono, 24 June 2010 - 09:08 AM.

#7 James Cain

• Guest, F@H
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:23 AM

Hey maybe you'll benefit from the caffeine more:

http://groups.google...8ed993cc?hl=en#

Actually slow metabolizers get less benefit from caffeinated beverages. Caffeine itself can be beneficial, but caffeine + antioxidant effect is altered. I think this is due to any given amount of caffeine being more stimulatory for the associated amount of antioxidants (tea and coffee), so the net effect is less than a fast metabolizer, who would get more antioxidants for any given relative dose of caffeine. There's a good deal of research on this topic.

I may have this too. Does the slow metabolism cause sensitivity to very small amounts, or just prolongation of effect?

As a slow metabolizer myself (23andMe testing), and from my understanding of drug kinetics, I'd say both, but primarily the prolongation. The Cmax would increase only because the substance wouldn't begin to clear as quickly, and because it clears slower the absolute level would remain higher longer, all due to the half life changing. Here's a neat, mostly related page.

#8 SATANICAT

• 128 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:05 PM

I'm in the same situation. If I have morning coffee (which I rarely do) I'll be wired until I go to bed. I know it sounds unreal, but it puts me on super-fight-or-flight mode. I'm also one of those people who doesn't get the benefit of piracetam. I just get sick >.> But, my metabolism is very unique. I can't drink a coke without crashing 1 minute into it (I'm not over-exaggerating). There's something about the synergy of the coffee w/o sugar that gets me going. Caffeine in energy drinks puts me to sleep along with green tea.

#9 tritium

• Topic Starter
  • 384 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:35 AM

The slow caffeine metabolizer phenotype is relatively common. I have it myself. Two energy drinks is potentially a lot of caffeine, and there's no telling what else was in there. Can you post the contents of the drink? For people like us, a lot of caffeine isn't healthy. I'd recommend skipping the energy drinks. Try Green Tea Extract for a motivation boost. Also make sure that you are getting enough sleep, eating decently, and getting enough exercise.

The first drink was Monster Nitrous Anti-gravity and the second was Monster Assault. You can see some of the ingredients at: http://www.monsteren...om/web/products One thing I hate about their advertising is that they state "energy blend", but do not state how much of each ingredient, such as caffeine.

Some people are genetically poor metabolizers of drugs like caffeine, while others are rapid metabolizers.

Although I am not taking any of those meds listed, the 1A2 INDUCERS section was particularly interesting: http://medicine.iupu...p#omeprazoleInd Maybe I could try eating some broccoli or taking some Prilosec OTC, which contains Omeprazole, and see if this helps increase my rate of caffeine metabolism. That is, if inducing 1A2 is indeed directly linked to the metabolism of caffeine and not some other mechanism.

#10 KimberCT

• 472 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:21 AM

The slow caffeine metabolizer phenotype is relatively common.  I have it myself. Two energy drinks is potentially a lot of caffeine, and there's no telling what else was in there.  Can you post the contents of the drink?  For people like us, a lot of caffeine isn't healthy.  I'd recommend skipping the energy drinks.  Try Green Tea Extract for a motivation boost.  Also make sure that you are getting enough sleep, eating decently, and getting enough exercise.

The first drink was Monster Nitrous Anti-gravity and the second was Monster Assault.  You can see some of the ingredients at: http://www.monsteren...om/web/products One thing I hate about their advertising is that they state "energy blend", but do not state how much of each ingredient, such as caffeine.

Although I am not taking any of those meds listed, the 1A2 INDUCERS section was particularly interesting: http://medicine.iupu...p#omeprazoleInd  Maybe I could try eating some broccoli or taking some Prilosec OTC, which contains Omeprazole, and see if this helps increase my rate of caffeine metabolism.  That is, if inducing 1A2 is indeed directly linked to the metabolism of caffeine and not some other mechanism.

Go for broccoli sprouts, they're much more potent and easier to eat a lot of.  I try and eat 2oz every day.

#11 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:26 AM

One thing I hate about their advertising is that they state "energy blend", but do not state how much of each ingredient, such as caffeine.

It's very common for soda not to state the caffeine content—almost universal. But the info is usually available on the internets. Wikipedia seems to imply all Monster drinks contain the same amount: "The caffeine content of Monster energy drinks is 10 mg/oz (34 mg/dL, 1.75 mmol/L), or 160 mg for a 16 oz can," but you could check other pages to confirm this.

#12 penisbreath

• Validating/Suspended
  • 530 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:46 AM

Does anyone know how potent black tea is (with respect to caffeine content) compared to coffee? I've always found coffee too taxing on my stomach (I suffer from reflux), but have found one cup of black tea to be far more tolerable. The only problem is, like the original poster, the effects seem to endure throughout the day, and I was worried it might be jeopardising my already-fragile sleep quality. I was beginning to think it might be psychosomatic, but now I'm not so sure . . .
  • like x 1

#13 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:54 PM

I have the same problem. One cup of coffee (100-150mg) lasts a whole day (7AM-12PM), it's even worse when I take a huge dose of coffee (like 4-5 cups), it lasts at least 48 hours yet the caffeine half life is only 5 hours, that's crazy!

Yesterday I screwed myself up, I took about 500mL of coffee (about 5 standard cups), I took it at 11PM yesterday, 22 hours later now at 9PM my BP is still very high and my heart is still racing and it's probably by monday that I will get rid of that burden.
I rarely take coffee and now this is it, I won't take it anymore, it's very powerful to keep you up but the heart racing, the high BP is freaking scary and unpleasant.

The explanation is I guess because of the cytochrome enzymes in the liver, someone with low concentration of those enzymes will metabolize caffeine very slowly, it's good for the liver that is not overloaded but it's bad for the heart that is constantly racing for several dozens of hours.
Maybe MSM can solve that as it increases overall metabolism and cell permeability.

I also happen to get the same problem with pseudoephedrine, I guess it has some relationship with liver enzymes as well.

Edited by renfr, 08 September 2012 - 07:05 PM.

#14 killshot

• 38 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

old thread but i thought this was interesting.

I have the same problem 1 coffee and 1 coke yesterday and i was up all night. I have also notice taking Piracetam increases my caffeine sensitivity.

I found a test to help you fine tune your caffeine intake. http://www.consumerg...bolism-Test.php

#15 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

IF you are sensitive to caffeine and need an energy boost, Mormon Tea (Ephedra nevadensis) is an available source of ephedra which works better than caffeine for some people, especially Mormons. Readily available on the internet.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#16 killshot

• 38 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

Good to know I'll look into that, wondering if its legal in the u.s.

Sent from my HTC rezound using tapatalk

Edited by killshot, 22 November 2012 - 07:43 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users