- - - - -

hands showing a lot of big veins...

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:07 AM

It started sometime this year, my hands just show big ugly veins everywhere.. anything I can do about it?

#2 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:28 AM

It started sometime this year, my hands just show big ugly veins everywhere.. anything I can do about it?

Lowered your body fat recently? If so - gain some weight hehe

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:57 AM

Your veins pop out when body fat percentage low and when it's hot.

Not sure vasodilators etc. really have a visible effect there, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

#4 Luna

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:00 PM

umm I don't think my bodyfat is that low.. bmi is still about 21

#5 distinct

• 114 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:09 PM

umm I don't think my bodyfat is that low.. bmi is still about 21

Though I'm male, and you are obviously not, I remember noticing it in high school. Fast forward 12 years later and they haven't gotten worse. Everybody, and I mean *everybody* has more vascularity in their hands/feet who isn't a kid.

#6 Luna

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:12 PM

Well, they are usually only showing when outside so I guess it is related to the increased heat as it is summer now.. and Israel is very hot. But a lot of other people don't seem to have it and it's just ugly so :/ I kinda want to get rid of it somehow.

Looking at the hands now, indoor, it's ok and not there.

I know my mother has her veins showing quite a bit at the hands too, but as I said - a lot of other people don't have it so if it's possible to get rid of it I'd like that.

#7 distinct

• 114 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:27 PM

Well, they are usually only showing when outside so I guess it is related to the increased heat as it is summer now.. and Israel is very hot. But a lot of other people don't seem to have it and it's just ugly so :/ I kinda want to get rid of it somehow.

Looking at the hands now, indoor, it's ok and not there.

I know my mother has her veins showing quite a bit at the hands too, but as I said - a lot of other people don't have it so if it's possible to get rid of it I'd like that.

Could be genetic too, some people definitely have them more than others. My girlfriend is 30 and doesn't have them very prominently. Mine became prominent a few years after puberty, and I notice they are more so when I am eating well and not ingesting lots of salt or other things which cause me to bloat. I worked with my hands for years, so they aren't exactly pretty any longer...

FWIW, I would just accept it. It's not a sign of aging in my opinion, not at your age. Older women have a lot of visible veins on their hands, I imagine because of subcutaneous layers of fat going away and the skin aging and thinning out. It looks worlds apart from someone with natural vascularity, there's a big difference.

#8 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:56 PM

Are you using them a lot? Doing any strenuous hand work? Could be the cause.

Also, if you're not putting SS on the back of your hands, the skin will be thinning.

#9 Luna

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:43 PM

I'm typing a lot! :P That's about it.. but I tried to notice it today, when I was outside (like 40 celsius there) it showed a lot, at home without ac they are nearly invisible and it is still quite hot here.

#10 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:05 AM

Typing will do it. What about a pad to get your wrists off the desk and make it so your hands don't have to work as much?

Also, as another poster mentioned, the veins will come to the surface in the heat- always.

I'm a skinny dude who works out. In summer I look like a mutant with all the veins. They go away when it's cold though.

Edit: Oh and are you smoking?

Edited by Ben - Aus, 16 July 2010 - 06:06 AM.

#11 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:12 AM

What about retinoids? The should thicken the skin somewhat. It's not gonna hide the veins, but it might prevent some of the age-related thinning of the dermis/epidermis and thus make veins slightly less visible.

#12 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:16 AM

What about retinoids? The should thicken the skin somewhat. It's not gonna hide the veins, but it might prevent some of the age-related thinning of the dermis/epidermis and thus make veins slightly less visible.

Darn good point. I have a big vein popping out under my eye from sun exposure. Retinisation of the skin makes it practically invisible. You'd have to wear sunscreen on your hands always though.

#13 Luna

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:55 AM

Uhh, I am obviously not smoking :P

#14 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 03:41 PM

Darn good point. I have a big vein popping out under my eye from sun exposure. Retinisation of the skin makes it practically invisible. You'd have to wear sunscreen on your hands always though.

From sun exposure? Doesn't sun damage increase elastin and thicken the epidermis (which is why prolonged sun damage makes skin look leathery)? If anything, people who are chronically exposed to sun seem to me to have less visible veins than those who don't.

#15 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:22 PM

From sun exposure? Doesn't sun damage increase elastin and thicken the epidermis (which is why prolonged sun damage makes skin look leathery)? If anything, people who are chronically exposed to sun seem to me to have less visible veins than those who don't.

"... the sun also causes the appearance of telangiectasias, tiny blood vessels, in the skin especially on the face."

http://dermatology.a...suneffect_2.htm

About.com is the most my lazyness will allow me. If you want, you can try a better source on your own.

#16 Luna

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:35 PM

umm since about a year ago I always put sun screen on my hands but I used to be outside a lot before then without sunscreen.. at 21 I shouldn't have those problems, bah!

#17 rollo

• 205 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:36 PM

Why are you trying to alter how your bodily functions based on superficial reasons? Do you think it wise? Your veins aren't doing this just for the heck of it or to make you look ugly...

#18 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 05:51 PM

Why are you trying to alter how your bodily functions based on superficial reasons? Do you think it wise? Your veins aren't doing this just for the heck of it or to make you look ugly...

Looks, rollo, looks. Clear distinction mate. What is your real objection as well? Do you even know? Or is this just a sentimental outburst? They're best left to the Memorial Forum my darling.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#19 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:48 PM

Increased physical activity leads to increased vasodilation.

Maybe.

#20 aLurker

• 715 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:10 PM

Yes, ask your doctor to write a prescription for you to stop exercising and eat bacon, chips and gummy bears. If anyone questions your gluttonous rampage just shove the prescription in their face while you shove gummy bears in your own.
Your metamorphosis into a smooth gelatinous blob should cure any signs of veins, bone-structure and self-respect.
  • like x 1

#21 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:15 AM

Yes, ask your doctor to write a prescription for you to stop exercising and eat bacon, chips and gummy bears. If anyone questions your gluttonous rampage just shove the prescription in their face while you shove gummy bears in your own.
Your metamorphosis into a smooth gelatinous blob should cure any signs of veins, bone-structure and self-respect.

Jeepers creepers you're all morons.

Just ignore TheFountain's posts.

#22 rollo

• 205 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:05 PM

Looks, rollo, looks. Clear distinction mate. What is your real objection as well? Do you even know? Or is this just a sentimental outburst? They're best left to the Memorial Forum my darling.

Sentimental outburst? What emotions are you speaking of sweetie? Are you afraid of common sense or of those who remind us of it?

#23 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:07 AM

Sentimental outburst? What emotions are you speaking of sweetie? Are you afraid of common sense or of those who remind us of it?

This is going OT but common sense these days means: "what I feel to be right", rather than: "what I know to be right" and for some reason, sweet cheeks, the S&H forum seems to attract people who "feel" aesthetics aren't right and are on a fundamental level opposed to it, hence my greater than usual reactionism when anyone comes on here spouting nonsense and poor reasoning.

I remember a discussion with I think wydell on opportunity costs and the subjectivity involved when the opportunity is something that is not obviously quantifiable in objective terms (sun avoidance vs sun exposure). That really took it out of me.

#24 rollo

• 205 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:44 PM

This is going OT but common sense these days means: "what I feel to be right", rather than: "what I know to be right" and for some reason, sweet cheeks, the S&H forum seems to attract people who "feel" aesthetics aren't right and are on a fundamental level opposed to it, hence my greater than usual reactionism when anyone comes on here spouting nonsense and poor reasoning.

I remember a discussion with I think wydell on opportunity costs and the subjectivity involved when the opportunity is something that is not obviously quantifiable in objective terms (sun avoidance vs sun exposure). That really took it out of me.

Common sense is common sense, pumpkin.

#25 Elus

• 793 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:01 PM

You have got to be one of funniest people on this forum, Lurker. Well written, good sir.

#26 cherrysilver

• 60 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:51 AM

You may want to try a calendula (marigold) ointment -- I've read that it helps (over time) with varicose veins (smooths them out) and probably should help with your hands, too. I have the same issues with my hands (probably worse) and will be trying this myself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users