- - - - -

Can we revive this team?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:29 AM

This team appears to be inactive (at least on the forum). No one adding their name to the Registration for the F@H Prize has even been added to the team roster (with team listed under username) since February 5th. Not sure if there's a prize at present (not that it's really a concern for me). I've been running the client off and on for 3 weeks now, and just had to dig through some threads that haven't been updated in 9 months to find the team rankings on the overclocking site, to make sure my points were being counted.

I think acknowledging participation, and having some kind of weekly feedback for rankings/contribution, would validate and encourage participation in this. The Folding@Home; Longevity Team thread used to have a new post (by dnamechanic) welcoming each new member of the team, and giving an update of the team's ranking and average points per day. Any chance we could get this thread running again? Or provide periodic updates of the team status, somehow?

I'd be happy to help out any way I can, but some of these things might require admin/mod powers.

Edited by chrono, 20 July 2010 - 09:14 PM.

#2 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:13 PM

I have put an stats button in the sidebar, today and I'd be willing to consider waving the prohibition of signatures for team member to display their individual folding stats.

We could also use the new points system (₮E) to reward folders.
Beyond that, I personally would still be opposed to a monetary reward of the old type, but you can always lobby the other directors, or start a dedicated fund-raiser.

Best get in touch with dnamechanic, Mind, and brokenportal.
  • like x 1

#3 chrono

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:29 PM

The prize isn't of much interest to me, though it might encourage more participation. I really like the idea of ImmInst membership (monthly or yearly) as a prize, and personally don't think a monetary reward is very appropriate. I'm more interested in (re-)creating some kind of basic framework by which it feels like this team is active.

I do like your idea of allowing signatures for this. Part of my thinking was that having the F@H team listing under my name might raise awareness of this in the supplements forum, and encourage people to participate (IMO, this is a good 'gateway team'; doesn't require a lot of dedicated activity, and introduces the idea of participation in the movement). But having F@H stats in the signature is a much better idea. I'm generally opposed to sigs as well, but this might be a worthwhile exception. Is there some kind of script available from Overclocking that could display current individual statistics in this way?

Thanks for the response. And for putting the new box in the sidebar (looks great)! I'll write some PMs about the team roster issue if no one else sees this topic today.

#4 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:44 PM

The prizes worked like a charm. Team momentum, rank, enthusiasm, output, forum participation, etc... all shot through the roof. The team climbed as high as rank 69 in the world, and team members were targeting a legitimate course for the top 25 and some dreamed of the top ten. The prize went away and the team fizzled. I cannot overstate the positive effect the F@H team had on Imminst while the team was climbing. The F@H Imminst forum became one of the most active forums here. Getting some good prizes could help bring the team back into focus.

However, it will be tough to find money for this, given the recession and all, some director's objections, and given that Imminst has other things to spend money on.

One thing I was angling for was to get the Imminst team involved in experimental folding project design somehow, or get them folding on a project that had a particular focus on aging. I interviewed Pande in 2008 and was thinking about discussing this idea with him. I thought perhaps more people would fold if there was a specific project - getting folders a little more involved.
  • like x 1

#5 chrono

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:13 PM

One thing I was angling for was to get the Imminst team involved in experimental folding project design somehow, or get them folding on a project that had a particular focus on aging. I interviewed Pande in 2008 and was thinking about discussing this idea with him. I thought perhaps more people would fold if there was a specific project - getting folders a little more involved.

I like this idea. The F@H project is a little...monolithic. A smaller project, and one perhaps more immediately relevant to our interests, might make people feel their participation would make more of a difference. It also might be more justifiable to offer a monetary prize for a project like this.

In another thread you said you were bringing the question of ImmInst membership as a prize up for vote. What was the response to this idea?

#6 chrono

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:11 PM

dnamechanic hasn't signed in here since March, so I sent him an e-mail a few days ago to touch base. Got a reply today (edited for personal info):

I will not be available to post for the folding team in the foreseeable future...Internet access is limited for me.

When I posted for the team, I had no scripts, it was all manual posting. I did write some Excel Macros to calculate and graph (make the display image) the The Longevity Meme F@H Prize scores. But all forum posting involved the use of the forum tools that are available to any full (regular) member.

Regarding your comment about authority, guess if any authority was (is) involved it was, or will be, assumed :)

Likely, I will be here for a couple of weeks yet before returning [home]. Would try to answer any questions you may have if you want to assume authority. Can give you all the authority that I have :)

The Longevity Meme F@H team could use encouragement. Actually anyone trying to do anything worthwhile is worthy of encouragement. Needless to say to you, Folding is worthwhile. I applaud your initiative and your efforts.

I have a lot going on at the moment, but would be interested in helping this team out once my editorial workload clears up a bit. Maybe talk about integrating rosetta@home in some way as well, or launching our own project like Mind was talking about.

However, I think it's very important for the moment to have someone here just to say 'welcome', and to add users to the F@H team pool so the tag displays under their name. Maybe post periodic updates about team status and individual ranking. Caliban/BP/Mind: do you have any objection to me assuming this role? Would adding (or pruning) users be possible for my editor or navigator user class, or would a director/admin need to do this? If so, I could still compile lists and send them to the appropriate person.

#7 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:01 PM

Please do assume the role. Remember also that we have a fundraiser for this now. There is a folding at home fundraiser hooked up and ready to go at http://imminst.org/fundraisers/fah - We just dont want to be actively raising money in there right now because we want to make sure we have all the momentum we need to get all the money for the two research projects raised.

#8 chrono

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:53 PM

Thanks!

So the question no one's answered yet is, how do we add users to the F@H pool? I've been doing this for two months now and am still not 'on the team,' which needless to say isn't very encouraging.

I wasn't aware of that fundraiser yet. It's a good idea to generate incentive, but I agree that those research projects should get top priority. When I get a chance I'll start a conversation with Mind about the possibility of pursuing his idea about an in-house distributed computing project; that seems like it would generate even more interest/funds.

#9 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:17 PM

Im not sure about how you get all the way fully on the team. So the dnamechanic is coming back in a couple of weeks? I hope thats true. He'll be able to help get this show back on the road. If he doesnt come back then we'll have to find out from him.

#10 chrono

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:17 AM

^^ he's in another city at the moment. I gather that he has practically no internet access at home, so I think he was telling me he'll only be able to converse with me until then.

I sent him another e-mail asking if he knows how the user administration was accomplished. I'm assuming that either Mind (engineer) or Caliban (admin) had to perform this function.

#11 caliban

• 9,150 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:29 AM

Chrono, appointment of team leaders is down to the team coordinators (bp).
I'm happy for you to assume the role, but I'm worried that between your editor and navigator duties you'll risk burnout.

adding new users: either you could send me or bp a list periodically, or we could use the points system, or we could look into a special hack.

This is mainly up to bp, but what I'd also like the team leader to establish:
-what will constitute a basic, good and great contribution each month and how many ₮ should they be worth?
-do you want to focus on the Stanford programme or on another more LE oriented one or try to support anything thats remotely relevant?

#12 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:47 AM

Ill start thinking about how I can get this show back on the road. Ill bump the recruitment topic at least once a month and look to recruit a team leader for this in the mean time. Does anybody know what other basics need to be done? I wont be updating all the stats pages, though I wish somebody would, however I can update a key update page. I like it, but I never did follow this team very closely. Many others do though and Im still determined that we can continue or ascent to the top 10.

#13 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:23 AM

Maybe talk about integrating rosetta@home in some way as well

This would be great. Rosetta is much more focused on structure prediction and drug design. If the goal is to further medical applications, it is much closer to the mark. F@H is more academic, dealing with the energetic contours of the folding landscape. To put it another way, Rosetta is closer to applied science, while F@H is more theoretical.
  • like x 1

#14 wawee

• 23 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:21 PM

Hi,
This could be great an i like it.That We could also use the new points system (₮E) to reward folders,it really help us much..Hope ti really help us so much..

#15 caliban

• 9,150 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:26 PM

Ok, to revisit: a revival of some type of distributed computing with the TE system is definitely on the cards.

Who will be leading this team?

Are we sure we don't want to shift to some other distributed computing project collectively?
We could resume talks with these guys.
Or should we do more than one team?

#16 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:49 PM

Ok, to revisit: a revival of some type of distributed computing with the TE system is definitely on the cards.

Who will be leading this team?

Are we sure we don't want to shift to some other distributed computing project collectively?
We could resume talks with these guys.
Or should we do more than one team?

I put this team in my line up so I now lead it by default. Ill be sending out a memo to the team at least once each month, bumping the recruit topic, and submitting the list of current actives for points. Chrono or another can apply for the position by meeting with me about it if they want and Ill also be looking for somebody/may be getting a hold of Chrono myself.

Lets keep moving with this team, and if somebody wants to start up Rosetta and start getting all of our f@h participants to switch over then we can do that. We can consider phasing f@h out at the right time then.

In the monthly contributions tally list they are all listed in order of how many units they folded for f@h. So the top 3 people that are registered in our registration topic or that we could find in the member search are at the top.

Here are the old prize values in dollars:
and then there were bonuses like the lef coupons

I suggest point values roughly equivalent to those, except "15" given for all of the rest of the folders too.

#17 caliban

• 9,150 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:42 PM

I'm not sure about Teams Coordinator leading teams. You have important other duties.

Re points: can we consider other systems? Such as put a point target out for reaching a certain rank and if the teams gets there, everyone on the team who actively folded for 40% of the time gets the same points?
That way everyone will potentially have an incentive to stay involved, recruit new people and not be penalized for earning fewer playstations.

#18 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:04 AM

Im not catching your drift on that idea, could you rephrase that? Even so though, I thought the current set up of awarding every f@h participant greatly improved the award. In the past only the top 12 plus some randoms got the prize, in this set up they all get the prize.

To incentivize the rest of them Ill be sending all those that we have the Longecity contact for a monthly memo. Thats probably around 80 total. I tried to find a list but the cp doesnt have an option to list them by category that I can see, which was surprising, and the new member search function, (since the upgrade last year) wont list them by category any more that I can see either. The option is there, but when you run the search it comes up with zero people marked in the f@h category. This must have to do with primary vs secondary like you were saying.

#19 thughes

• 262 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:28 PM

Is the team switching to rosetta? Is there a team number for the rosetta team?

You can add me to the mailing list for the team, that way I know where to start...

This sounds fairly simple/low maintainance so if you can't get Chrono or someone else, and need someone to help organize, I can devote a few hours a month to it (caveat: I'm not currently a full member).

- Tracy

#20 thughes

• 262 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:11 PM

Ok found 'an' imminst team on rosetta@home: http://boinc.bakerla...php?teamid=7054

Suggest renaming the team (here) to something like "Imminst Distributed Computing Team", that way its not targeted to a particular project.

#21 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:49 AM

Is the team switching to rosetta? Is there a team number for the rosetta team?

You can add me to the mailing list for the team, that way I know where to start...

This sounds fairly simple/low maintainance so if you can't get Chrono or someone else, and need someone to help organize, I can devote a few hours a month to it (caveat: I'm not currently a full member).

- Tracy

Our fah team is in the top 80 out of over 166,000 teams. It takes a lot to get to that point. In particular it too DNA Mechanic, Mind, Chungenhung and a few others a lot to get it to that point. The program helps understand protein structure. Protein structure effects everything about cells, where the aging that we need to get out of there is. Rosetta may be more in depth, but fah is in depth, and our team is entrenched.

The team is revived now. Now I make a list of the people who folded each month and we give them points through the point system. I also bump the fah recruitment topic at least once a month (it has been more), and send out a monthly memo that serves a few functions.

If you want you could try out being the fah team leader. You would bump that recruit topic, and recruit a little each month, and then at the end of each month you could make the list of who has folded and send out the team memo. I would meet with you once a month for at least a few ten minutes to go over odds and ends and other avenues we might pursue. All in all it should take you around an hour during the month, and another hour at the end of the month.

Now, thats just my pitch to try to sell the keeping of the fah team. However if you all really want to go through the process of switching over to Rosetta, then I forsee that it will get messy. With our limited staff and resources we really try to shy away from messy. What you could do is get a list of the current and past fah participants from me and then write them all a pm asking them to switch over. You would want to write all the big time fah folders individually and try to do an extra good sales job on them. You would want to start a bunch of Rosetta topics like how to join our team, and some informational topics like fah has. If this all started materializing we would start a Rosetta sub forum. We would then go through Rosetta and work to figure out how to record the monthly contributors and then you (you can expand your management team if you find help too) would report that so we can give them points. If that all happens, I am quite certain that a lot of the fah participants wont switch or just wont read or consider the message. Some might think about switching but just forget or not do it. Then we'll end up with a compromised fah team and a small Rosetta team. I could be wrong but I would guess that it would take a good year or two to even begin to start approaching the kind of success with Rosetta that the fah team has now, and that would require some committed people/person, you namely, to stick with it for all that time. If say you stick with it for 8 months, which would be great, but then have other things to do then it would just leave fah compromised and a trailing off Rosetta team. If you want to give it a go, if you think you can do it, then let me know and we can discuss it a bit, ask the board, and then go from there.

Otherwise if you want to take the fah role then let me know that and we can meet, go over a few things and get you set up with that.

#22 thughes

• 262 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:46 PM

I'm not really concerned about which distributed folding project imminst is on, if we are still doing fah I can switch my machine to that. Hopefully their Mac install is better than last time I tried, I will give it a run this week and see. It just sounded like the team was mostly dead...

But you are pro-meeting and I am anti-meeting, so that's a bit of a snag.

If we can communicate mainly via e-Mail or posts, then I can help. Making monthly posts in the top forum to pester people to join is something I can do. Team memos are fine. Monthly meetings, either live or in chat, are no go for me.

If you are happily on top of things, (or, as I said, someone else wants to do this) then you probably don't need me to do this. Its not that I particularly want to do this (as opposed to any other way to help a bit), just saw a potential need.

- Tracy

#23 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:56 PM

I'm not really concerned about which distributed folding project imminst is on, if we are still doing fah I can switch my machine to that. Hopefully their Mac install is better than last time I tried, I will give it a run this week and see. It just sounded like the team was mostly dead...

But you are pro-meeting and I am anti-meeting, so that's a bit of a snag.

If we can communicate mainly via e-Mail or posts, then I can help. Making monthly posts in the top forum to pester people to join is something I can do. Team memos are fine. Monthly meetings, either live or in chat, are no go for me.

If you are happily on top of things, (or, as I said, someone else wants to do this) then you probably don't need me to do this. Its not that I particularly want to do this (as opposed to any other way to help a bit), just saw a potential need.

- Tracy

I need a team leader for each team and so if you want to lead this one that would be very helpful. Ill send you a standard memo each month as a reminder of what to do. Ill send you a list of switch over options you can consider too. I'll just pm or write you in the forum if you dont want to meet. Caliban has shown me another folding program that relates directly to aging research that we can look into and consider.

#24 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:03 PM

From another topic:

In fact, a post asking who strongly prefers rosetta@home and who they think imminst should fold for might be useful

Can you create a poll to this effect, gather suggestions for names, probably Longecity, and then if you find enough support and youll still head it up then we can support you and all the Rosetta supporters in moving it forward.

If you want to run folding at home then the goal is to move up in the rankings, however you can do that. If you need help or suggestions then let me know otherwise dig right in. All the info can be found throughout this forum. As teams coordinator I currently run this team as the default leader but tasking these things out is of the essence. You break a big goal down into lots of small tasks and it renders it very doable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users