Photo
- - - - -

Heliocare Sunscreen (Gel)

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 happy lemon

• 275 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:15 PM

Has anyone here used Heliocare sunscreen (gel)?

I have found that there are at least 2 versions available in the market; not the SPF rating nor the consistency (gel or cream); but the packaging and product description (SPF 50 Gel vs SPF 50 Advanced; SPF 90 Gel vs SPF 90 Gel Ultra).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I don't have the ingredients of all those 4 sunscreen; but do have the list of the regular SPF50 Gel & the SPF 90 Ultra.

SPF 50 Gel

Aqua; Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate; Octocrylene; Styrene/Acrilates Copolymer; Cyclopentasiloxane; Glycerin; Hexylene Glycol; Polyacrylamide; PEG/PPG-20/6 Dimethicone; Zinc Oxide; C13-14 Isoparaffin; Polypodium leucotomos Leaf Extract; Phenoxyethanol; Titanium Dioxide; Laureth-7; Cetyl Dimethicone; Camelia sinensis Extract; Tocopheryl Acetate; Dichlorobenzyl Alcohol; Mycrococcus lysate; Tetrasodium EDTA; Alumina; BHT; Simethicone; Triethoxycaprylylsilane; Parfum; Linalool; Limonene.

SPF 90 Gel Ultra
Aqua, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Octocrylene, PEG/PPG 20/6 Dimethicone, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Cyclopentasiloxane, Ethylhexyl Triazone, Glycerin, Hexylene Glycol, Zinc Oxide, Polyacrylamide, C-13-14 Isoparaffin, Polypodium Leucotomos, Phenoxyethanol, Titanium Dioxide, Camelia Sinensis, Cetyl Dimethicone, Laureth-7, Tocopheryl Acetate, Dichlorobenzyl Alcohol, Mycrococcus Lysate, Parfum, Alumina, Phytosphingosine, HCI, BHT, Simethicone, Linalool, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Limonene.

I have seen some ad lately and they claim that SPF 50 Gel Advanced & SPF 90 Gel Ultra are non white at all and good for oily skin.

From one distributor of Heliocare in Malaysia, the features and advantages of Heliocare suncreen as as follows.

1. Phytobiological Molecules
  • Fernblock & Green Tea (active ingredients in Heliocare Oral)
    Powerful antioxidant, protect skin's cutaneous structure, immunological system and cellular DNA against solar immunosuppression.
2. Photoprotective Technologies
  • Photosomes – Purified Extract of Marine Plankton rich in photoliases. Repairs damaged cellular DNA.
  • Sunspheres increases the probability of the physical and chemical filters to reflect or absorb UV photons, by deflecting sunrays onto chemical and physical filters. Increases the SPF ratio by 60%-72%
3. Physical Filters (UVA and UVB Filters)
  • Z-cote HP-1 – Transparent micronized zinc oxide, excellent cosmeticity and high adherence to the skin. No other sunscreen ingredient provides broader spectrum protection.
  • Nanox 200 – Ultrafine Zinc Oxide.
  • Eusolex T-2000 – Micronized Titanium Dioxide.
4. Chemical Filters
  • Eusolex OCR
  • Parsol MCX
  • Eusolex 6300
Eva, please take a look of the ingredients of Heliocare; do you think they are photostable sunscreen? Do you worry about the chemical filters? Any other comments?

http://www.ifcintern...#cincuentayocho

http://www.neoasia.c...&page=br&menu=1

http://www.neoasia.c...dname=Heliocare

#2 shadowrun

• 327 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:29 PM

I would be really interested in hearing more about this.

I've found Heliocare or the active "Polypodium Leucotemos" to be a beneficial addition to my skincare regimine. The cost and lack of long term studies is the only thing really preventing me from using it more often. I wonder if topical application is more effective than ingestion of regular Heliocare.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Eva Victoria

• 887 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:20 PM

Has anyone here used Heliocare sunscreen (gel)?

I have found that there are at least 2 versions available in the market; not the SPF rating nor the consistency (gel or cream); but the packaging and product description (SPF 50 Gel vs SPF 50 Advanced; SPF 90 Gel vs SPF 90 Gel Ultra).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I don't have the ingredients of all those 4 sunscreen; but do have the list of the regular SPF50 Gel & the SPF 90 Ultra.

SPF 50 Gel

Aqua; Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate; Octocrylene; Styrene/Acrilates Copolymer; Cyclopentasiloxane; Glycerin; Hexylene Glycol; Polyacrylamide; PEG/PPG-20/6 Dimethicone; Zinc Oxide; C13-14 Isoparaffin; Polypodium leucotomos Leaf Extract; Phenoxyethanol; Titanium Dioxide; Laureth-7; Cetyl Dimethicone; Camelia sinensis Extract; Tocopheryl Acetate; Dichlorobenzyl Alcohol; Mycrococcus lysate; Tetrasodium EDTA; Alumina; BHT; Simethicone; Triethoxycaprylylsilane; Parfum; Linalool; Limonene.

SPF 90 Gel Ultra
Aqua, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Octocrylene, PEG/PPG 20/6 Dimethicone, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Cyclopentasiloxane, Ethylhexyl Triazone, Glycerin, Hexylene Glycol, Zinc Oxide, Polyacrylamide, C-13-14 Isoparaffin, Polypodium Leucotomos, Phenoxyethanol, Titanium Dioxide, Camelia Sinensis, Cetyl Dimethicone, Laureth-7, Tocopheryl Acetate, Dichlorobenzyl Alcohol, Mycrococcus Lysate, Parfum, Alumina, Phytosphingosine, HCI, BHT, Simethicone, Linalool, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Limonene.

I have seen some ad lately and they claim that SPF 50 Gel Advanced & SPF 90 Gel Ultra are non white at all and good for oily skin.

From one distributor of Heliocare in Malaysia, the features and advantages of Heliocare suncreen as as follows.

1. Phytobiological Molecules

• Fernblock & Green Tea (active ingredients in Heliocare Oral)
    Powerful antioxidant, protect skin's cutaneous structure, immunological system and cellular DNA against solar immunosuppression.
2. Photoprotective Technologies
  • Photosomes – Purified Extract of Marine Plankton rich in photoliases. Repairs damaged cellular DNA.
  • Sunspheres increases the probability of the physical and chemical filters to reflect or absorb UV photons, by deflecting sunrays onto chemical and physical filters. Increases the SPF ratio by 60%-72%
3. Physical Filters (UVA and UVB Filters)
  • Z-cote HP-1 – Transparent micronized zinc oxide, excellent cosmeticity and high adherence to the skin. No other sunscreen ingredient provides broader spectrum protection.
  • Nanox 200 – Ultrafine Zinc Oxide.
  • Eusolex T-2000 – Micronized Titanium Dioxide.
4. Chemical Filters
  • Eusolex OCR
  • Parsol MCX
  • Eusolex 6300
Eva, please take a look of the ingredients of Heliocare; do you think they are photostable sunscreen? Do you worry about the chemical filters? Any other comments?

http://www.ifcintern...#cincuentayocho

http://www.neoasia.c...&page=br&menu=1

http://www.neoasia.c...dname=Heliocare

Eusolex filters come from Merck, Parsol from DSM (both are Swiss companies) Z-cote is distributed by BASF (Belgium, Z-Cote originates from Japan; particle size less than 200mm). Nanox 200 (Elementis, Belgium. Particle size: 60nm). TiO2 here is used more like a filler, not as a sunscreen agent. It is in far too low concentration.
Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer (Sunsphres, Rhom & Haas now part of Dow) is an SPF-booster with film-forming properties. Polyacrylamide, C-13-14 Isoparaffin are part of the emulsifying system. They also contribute to the film-forming properties and to the water-resistance of the sunscreen.

I think these sunscreens must have a very nice consistency. They contain a good deal of silicone and a state-of-the-art emulsifying system.
I am very much in doubt whether there is enough ZnO in this sunscreen to provide adequate UVA-protection.
I personally don't really like OCR. It is far too oily and there has been reported allergies with it. Though I understand why more and more formulators use it.

#4 AmericanMe

• 30 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:48 PM

Anymore thoughts about this? I've justed started using Heliocare Advanced spf 50 and so far I'm very satisfied.

No whitening at all.

#5 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:50 PM

Not near enough zinc oxide for me.

#6 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:02 AM

Nitpick: Merck is American or German (there's actually two different companies with that out there, confuses the hell out of me), DSM is Dutch and BASF is German :P. Now where the stuff is made is a wholly different question, of course.

Given I get a lot of Malaysian stuff in this city, I may give this a try. I am also wondering about Sunplay SPF130 (they advertise it like hell) which I cannot find any data on anywhere.

Edited by nupi, 19 June 2011 - 02:04 AM.

#7 AmericanMe

• 30 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 08:33 AM

How much zinc oxide is the Heliocare sunscreens and how much zinc oxide would you recommend?

#8 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:46 AM

How much zinc oxide is the Heliocare sunscreens and how much zinc oxide would you recommend?

Given the fact that they don't tell you the %, would have to be a small amount. Like 3-4% maybe.
I'd use no less than 15%

http://www.makeupall.../zincsunscreens

#9 AmericanMe

• 30 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:02 AM

I just contacted them now, and I will post the answer when I get a reply.

#10 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 10:01 PM

Did anybody ever find out how much Zinc oxide they use? I notice they also have titanium oxide on the list of ingredients as well as some other filters. To make the new formulation of 90 spf there has to be something that is blocking the UVA/UVB spectrum in there. Any ideas? I have considered trying the spf 90 formula. 

#11 ImmortalSpace

• 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:26 PM

Skeptical about this sunscreen, to be on the safe side use Badgers Zinc Oxide Sunscreen. It works, and it's rated high on EWG with basically no chemicals. Safest sunscreen available atm.

#12 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:29 AM

Skeptical about this sunscreen, to be on the safe side use Badgers Zinc Oxide Sunscreen. It works, and it's rated high on EWG with basically no chemicals. Safest sunscreen available atm.

No, this is.

detail_14_Face&Body.jpgZoom

NEW! BurnOut SPF 30 Sunscreen for Face & Body
SKU: 7400
Price: $19.99 
$17.99
Qty: -  +

- OR -   

#13 ImmortalSpace

• 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:53 AM

No, this is.

$17.99

- OR -   

Nope. That's Not even on EWG. Always use sunscreens confirmed safe by the EWG. Its the most responsible thing to do.

No, this is.

$17.99

- OR -   

No, this is.

$17.99

- OR -   
Add To Regis

Edited by ImmortalSpace, 22 July 2015 - 07:56 AM.

#14 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:01 PM

Unless they changes their formula, Badger sunscreen is one greasy ass mess. Safest sunscreen at the moment? um k

I hate to burst your bubble but your the one not being very responsible. :-D  Burnout sunscreens are listed on the 2015 EWG  sunscreen list.

http://www.ewg.org/2...?search=BURNOUT

And on top of that, EWG recommends MANY and I mean MANY shit sunscreens I would not even suggest my worst enemy wearing. :laugh:

Edited by mustardseed41, 22 July 2015 - 03:03 PM.

• Agree x 3
  • Disagree x 1

#15 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:22 PM

Not to mention the face that EWG does not list the best chemical sunscreens which are generally only found in Europe. (Tinosorb, Mexoryl)

• Agree x 1

#16 ImmortalSpace

• 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 July 2015 - 02:25 AM

Unless they changes their formula, Badger sunscreen is one greasy ass mess. Safest sunscreen at the moment? um k

I hate to burst your bubble but your the one not being very responsible. :-D  Burnout sunscreens are listed on the 2015 EWG  sunscreen list.

And on top of that, EWG recommends MANY and I mean MANY shit sunscreens I would not even suggest my worst enemy wearing. :laugh:

#17 ImmortalSpace

• 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 July 2015 - 02:29 AM

Nope. Badger is better- all you need is to look at the ingredients and see that it has a safety confirmation on EWG.

http://www.ewg.org/s...cented,_SPF_35/

Active Sunscreen Ingredient:
Non-Nano, Uncoated Zinc Oxide 18.75%

Inactive Sunscreen Ingredients:
*Helianthus Annus (Organic Sunflower) Oil, *Cera Alba (Organic Beeswax), Essential Oil of *Lavandula Angustifolia (Organic Lavender), Tocopherol (Sunflower Vitamin E), and CO2 Extract of *Hippophae Rhamnoides (Organic Seabuckthorn).

Attached Files

• Needs references x 1

#18 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 03:26 AM

Did you even see what I posted? How did you miss the fact that the Burnout sunscreens have a safety confirmation also with EWG??????????????????????????????????????????

http://www.ewg.org/s...screen,_SPF_35/

Edited by mustardseed41, 23 July 2015 - 03:28 AM.

#19 happy lemon

• Topic Starter
  • 275 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 12:01 PM

Here are the latest sunscreens of Heliocare:

http://www.longecity...ndpost&p=730380

The latest product range of Heliocare 360.

http://heliocare.com...il-free-spf-50/

http://heliocare.com...d-cream-spf-50/

http://heliocare.com...-airgel-spf-50/

From the net, I know that Fluid Cream & Airgel are shiny and quite greasy, so I have only purchased the Oil Free one.

It is very light which is good for me who is living in Asia.

As i cannot find the percentage of those UV filters used in those 3 sunscreens, I cannot use the BASF Sunscreen Simulator to verify the SPF & UVA rating.  That said, from the tube, Heliocare says that it is >370nm.

#20 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:08 AM

Not to mention the face that EWG does not list the best chemical sunscreens which are generally only found in Europe. (Tinosorb, Mexoryl)

Could you name a single chemical sunscreen that

1-Does not have to be re-applied every 2 hours and

2-Is not a greasy mess? 

I tried one of those Mexoryl based ones and it left my face a white out grease ball of a mess. 

Here are the latest sunscreens of Heliocare:

http://www.longecity...ndpost&p=730380

The latest product range of Heliocare 360.

http://heliocare.com...il-free-spf-50/

http://heliocare.com...d-cream-spf-50/

http://heliocare.com...-airgel-spf-50/

From the net, I know that Fluid Cream & Airgel are shiny and quite greasy, so I have only purchased the Oil Free one.

It is very light which is good for me who is living in Asia.

As i cannot find the percentage of those UV filters used in those 3 sunscreens, I cannot use the BASF Sunscreen Simulator to verify the SPF & UVA rating.  That said, from the tube, Heliocare says that it is >370nm.

How does it work for you? Do you tan with it? 

#21 happy lemon

• Topic Starter
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:01 AM

I only put on it when I spent most of my time indoor.

#22 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:42 PM

2-Is not a greasy mess? 

I tried one of those Mexoryl based ones and it left my face a white out grease ball of a mess. 

Not really. I've only used one Tinosorb sunscreen (Bioderma) and used it on my hands only. It seems pretty greasy.

#23 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:53 AM

So is that to say it doesn't work?!?!?!?!?

2-Is not a greasy mess? 

Not really. I've only used one Tinosorb sunscreen (Bioderma) and used it on my hands only. It seems pretty greasy.

Well, I guess i'll stick with Burnout for now. I really see no other sunscreen that compares. But I still may consider heliocare spf 90 just for a try out on my arms. 

#24 happy lemon

• Topic Starter
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 02:16 PM

Not really, just happened that I had not got a chance to do activities outdoor lately.

#25 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:12 AM

Not really, just happened that I had not got a chance to do activities outdoor lately.

Do you estimate any sun protection from this sunscreen?

#26 happy lemon

• Topic Starter
  • 275 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:40 PM

I know that EU has a strict regulation of sunscreen; thus, I trust it.

#27 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:16 AM

Why the secrets about the sun protection filters used then? I mean why won't they disclose it? Is it even in the ingredients list?

#28 happy lemon

• Topic Starter
  • 275 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:45 PM

Why the secrets about the sun protection filters used then? I mean why won't they disclose it? Is it even in the ingredients list?

Heliocare does list the ingredients on her web & the packaging box.  Please see my earlier post.

#29 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:28 PM

Heliocare does list the ingredients on her web & the packaging box.  Please see my earlier post.

I do not like the fact that a chemical filter (Octocrylene) is listed much earlier on the list than the physical filters are. What interests me is the supposed reparative ingredients. What the heck is that about? 

#30 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:48 PM

I still haven't tried heliocare spf 90.

Nobody is saying anything that's making me wanna try it. Way to get behind a product you believe in. lol

At least when I believe in a product (as I have before with burnout before they changed their formula) I give other's every reason in the world to try it out.

But I guess some prefer the lackadaisical approach. lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users