- - - - -

S.O.D. pills work?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 kbal

• 45 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:32 AM

Hello,
stumbled upon S.O.D Superoxide Radicals 2000 IU on eBay = 10$. Do these pills have any effect? Can S.O.D. get in to cells this way?
Only found this h**p://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6530902
Guess it doesn't work. Any thoughts?

#2 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:43 PM

Plain old SOD wouldn't survive the stomach.

There's a variety of delivery mechanisms that might work though, like gliSODin, enteric coating, liposomal might work.

Oral supplementation with melon superoxide dismutase extract promotes antioxidant defences in the brain and prevents stress-induced impairment of spatial memory.
Nakajima S, Ohsawa I, Nagata K, Ohta S, Ohno M, Ijichi T, Mikami T.

Department of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Institute of Gerontology, Nippon Medical School, Kawasaki, Kanagawa 211-8533, Japan.

Abstract
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of antioxidant ingestion on stress-induced impairment of cognitive memory. Male C57BL/6 mice were divided into four groups as follows: (1) control mice (C mice) fed in a normal cage without immobilization; (2) restraint-stressed (RS mice) fed in a small cage; (3) vitamin E mice (VE mice), mice were fed in a small cage with a diet supplemented with vitamin E; (4) GliSODin mice (GS mice) fed in a small cage with a diet supplemented with GliSODin. RS, VE and GS mice were exposed to 12 h of immobilization daily. Five weeks later, spatial learning was measured using the Morris Water Maze (MWM) test. After water maze testing, we performed immunohistochemical analysis using 4-hydroxy-2-noneral (4-HNE) and an anti-Ki67 antibody. 4-HNE is a marker of lipid peroxidation. RS mice showed impaired spatial learning performance and an increased number of 4-HNE-positive cells in the granule cell layer (GCL) of the hippocampal dentate gyrus when compared to C mice. Moreover, RS mice showed a decreased number of Ki67-positive cells in the subgranular zone (SGZ). GS mice showed better spatial learning memory than RS mice. The number of 4-HNE-positive cells in the GCL of GS mice was significantly less than that of RS mice. The number of Ki67-positive cells in the SGZ of GS mice was significantly greater than that of RS mice. These finding suggests that GliSODin prevents stress-induced impairment of cognitive function and maintains neurogenesis in the hippocampus through antioxidant activity.

PMID: 19373977 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Soma

• 341 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:25 PM

I remember reading about some members' concerns that supplementing with compounds like SOD would interfere with the body's endogenous production with the individual potentially becoming dependent upon supplementation for supplying the body with a compound it once produced on its own.

Are any of these concerns valid? I haven't been able to locate any studies that suggest this.

I have read similar concerns catalase and glutathione supplementation.

#4 renwosing

• 148 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:59 PM

Injectable SOD works best.

#5 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

Injectable SOD works best.

Yes, but is it available at all ?

#6 renwosing

• 148 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:30 AM

Yes.

#7 outsider

• 396 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:35 AM

I remember reading about some members' concerns that supplementing with compounds like SOD would interfere with the body's endogenous production with the individual potentially becoming dependent upon supplementation for supplying the body with a compound it once produced on its own.

Are any of these concerns valid? I haven't been able to locate any studies that suggest this.

I have read similar concerns catalase and glutathione supplementation.

I would be concerned too, there are so many supp that increase these endogenous enzymes naturally.

#8 kilgoretrout

• 245 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:42 AM

And what about concerns it would "shut down" endogenous production, assuming enteric coating/lipososomal etc. can get it into the bloodstream?

I assume it would be wise to not overdo it, and cycle off it on a frequent schedule.

#9 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:47 PM

You could always use NtBHA, which mimics SOD as well as prevents glycation. It is safe, orally bioavailable and proven in animals to reduce oxidative stress.

#10 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:28 PM

You could always use NtBHA, which mimics SOD as well as prevents glycation. It is safe, orally bioavailable and proven in animals to reduce oxidative stress.

Does anyone here take NtBHA?

#11 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:56 PM

I have taken it off and on for years. Right now, off. I used to get it from Geronova and they are out or don't carry it anymore. They have PBN, but I am slightly worried about benzene toxicity.

#12 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:20 PM

I have taken it off and on for years. Right now, off. I used to get it from Geronova and they are out or don't carry it anymore. They have PBN, but I am slightly worried about benzene toxicity.

Hi lynx - Who currently sells ntBHA? Thanks - pycnogenol

#13 Soma

• 341 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:22 PM

You could always use NtBHA... It is safe...

Studies?

#14 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:26 PM

You could always use NtBHA... It is safe...

Studies?

Paul Wakfer has some info on this interesting chemical. Click link.

http://morelife.org/...hems/NtBHA.html

I've not tried it ... yet. ;)

Edited by pycnogenol, 13 August 2010 - 10:28 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#15 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:52 PM

Hi lynx - Who currently sells ntBHA? Thanks - pycnogenol

It looks like Peter at vitaspace.com has it, but that is twice as much as Geronova used to charge. If I were gonna get back to it, I might just use PBN from Geronova, because of price.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users