• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

How long does it take for 5-HTP to be effective for depression?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 enoch1

• 130 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:13 AM

How long does it take for 5-HTP to become effective for depression?
Prior to starting 5-htp I was on SSRI fluoxetine for about 2years I started on 5-HTP on 28/7/10 which has been 15 days past and I havent notice stability as I did when I was on SSRI 10mg, I feel down and my mood is quiet but not severely depressed nor is the sky grey I just feel quiet & down. Prior to starting 5-htp I stopped my SSRI for 4weeks to try 5-Htp.
My dosage hasn't been high in those 15days 50-100mgs a day just lately i've bumped it up to 100mg three times a day should i just jump back on SSRI's cause I hate feeling down? Should I continue with with 300mg a day with 5-htp for another 15 days? (its hard cause my mood is down) What would be the equivalent dosage of 5-htp of 10mg of fluoxetine?

Thanks

#2 Blood 08

• 6 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:34 AM

I don't know if 5-htp will work anywhere near as good as an SSRI would but I do know a large amount of it gets wasted in your digestive system and doesn't even make it to the brain. You can try taking a Green Tea EGCG supplement 15 minutes before hand which is suppose to take up the spot that 5-htp normally would so instead it gets more to the brain.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 enoch1

• Topic Starter
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:10 AM

I don't know if 5-htp will work anywhere near as good as an SSRI would but I do know a large amount of it gets wasted in your digestive system and doesn't even make it to the brain. You can try taking a Green Tea EGCG supplement 15 minutes before hand which is suppose to take up the spot that 5-htp normally would so instead it gets more to the brain.

Oh interesting I see cause I did some research on it, it said it is absorbed easily and passes into the blood stream but I was skeptical about that. What about sub-lingual administration do you know any supplements available that work that way? cause I'm using NOW 5-htp and spilling the capsules under my tongue.

Thanks for the feedback

#4 Animal

• 689 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:50 AM

SJW would be a better alternative to 5-HTP.

#5 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:39 PM

I beleive Ex_Dubio of mind and muscle said in a topic that 5-HTP only temporary raises serotonine and that after a while there wont be any difference anymore and thus useless for depression.

I dont have a link for that, but i know he doesnt post bullshit, i'l try to find it.

#6 kassem23

• 414 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:09 PM

I beleive Ex_Dubio of mind and muscle said in a topic that 5-HTP only temporary raises serotonine and that after a while there wont be any difference anymore and thus useless for depression.

I dont have a link for that, but i know he doesnt post bullshit, i'l try to find it.

I was just about to say that. Here's what he said in response to an article that stated that natural 5HTP is MUCH better than an SSRI.

"No, it's worse than that. With chronic dosing, 5-HTP doesn't even regulate or increase 5-HT in the brain. A tolerance builds. It only has an effect when used acutely. So really, the article is suggested an ineffective treatment in place of an effective one. Genius. "

Just wanted to chime in.

#7 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:29 PM

I agree that a good brand of SJW is a much better option than 5-htp. If I were you, I would get back on 10 mg Prozac before you risk changes taking place that may leave you unresponsive to Prozac. I know plenty of people that stopped taking an SSRI and tried to go back to it after a while, only to find that it did not work as well as before or at all. I personally like Zoloft more for long term use but I am biased.

Are you also taking fish oil?

#8 Animal

• 689 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:31 PM

Well 5-HTP is useful for the acute treatment of an anxiety disorder. In this sense it is far superior to SSRI's in the short term. Imagine someone only has anxiety in particular situations which they encounter infrequently. Then they can take 5-HTP as needed, which isn't really possible with SSRI's.

#9 kassem23

• 414 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:02 PM

Well 5-HTP is useful for the acute treatment of an anxiety disorder. In this sense it is far superior to SSRI's in the short term. Imagine someone only has anxiety in particular situations which they encounter infrequently. Then they can take 5-HTP as needed, which isn't really possible with SSRI's.

True, but wouldn't an benzodiazepine be as suited for that purpose? Infrequent anxiety/panic attacks and 2.5 mg of diazepam and you're down to earth again.

#10 Animal

• 689 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:00 PM

True, but wouldn't an benzodiazepine be as suited for that purpose? Infrequent anxiety/panic attacks and 2.5 mg of diazepam and you're down to earth again.

Yeah but it's prescription, 5-HTP isn't. Besides some people hate the drowsiness that benzo's can cause.

#11 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:05 PM

Yeah i remember someone saying he used 5HTP as needed when he felt down, for that purpose it can be usefull, but its useless when taken chronically.

#12 Temp

• 34 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:26 AM

Darn was hoping for the 5htp to help with my mild general anxiety.
Does anyone know if body adapts to picamilon the same way?
Also what is a good recommended version of sjw? And what are,the side,effects? I read that sjw should not be toyed with.

#13 zm3thod

• 143 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:38 PM

Also what is a good recommended version of sjw? And what are,the side,effects? I read that sjw should not be toyed with.

For SJW, search these forums for Perika and SC27

My preference for SJW is
SC27 > Perika > NOW = Generic

#14 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:48 AM

The only reason not to try SJW is if you are taking a medication that is contraindicated to it's use. There can be fairly strong unwanted interactions with SJW and some medications.

You also might want to wear sunglasses on sunny days while on SJW to protect against possible phytoxicity.

Are you trying Picamilon now?

Other things to consider for anxiety:

GABA
Theanine
Magnesium
Lithium Orotate
Ashwagandha
Cordyceps-works for my anxiety at least
Noni

Your best bet for generalized anxiety would be a low dose of Lexapro(escipralotam). I would try Kira, Perika, and New Chapter's SC27 or Serofin first though.

I would also exercise vigorously and follow it with a meditative stretch(stretching increases GABA levels) 5 days a week.

http://www.google.co...AHbwq8WPHUXoVYg

Edited by morganator, 23 August 2010 - 03:50 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#15 Temp

• 34 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:13 PM

The only reason not to try SJW is if you are taking a medication that is contraindicated to it's use. There can be fairly strong unwanted interactions with SJW and some medications.

You also might want to wear sunglasses on sunny days while on SJW to protect against possible phytoxicity.

Are you trying Picamilon now?

Other things to consider for anxiety:

GABA
Theanine
Magnesium
Lithium Orotate
Ashwagandha
Cordyceps-works for my anxiety at least
Noni

Your best bet for generalized anxiety would be a low dose of Lexapro(escipralotam). I would try Kira, Perika, and New Chapter's SC27 or Serofin first though.

I would also exercise vigorously and follow it with a meditative stretch(stretching increases GABA levels) 5 days a week.

http://www.google.co...AHbwq8WPHUXoVYg

Yes I am taking picamilon, been for a few weeks. I feel a bit better but that might be the amazeing placebo at work.
I have high bp and I read that sjw and hbp dont mix well. Is that still true?
I work out every day but the effect only lasts for an hour or two. :( am looking for a whole day solution that might also help with my ADD. I looks like anxiety and add go hand in hand.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users