Photo
- - - - -

ALA

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bdnf

• 69 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 08:10 AM

I just put 100 grams of Rizzer's Alpha-Lipoic acid into a glass of hot water and it formed a semi-solid glue-like mass. Could anyone explain why this happened?

The reason I did this is because ALA doesn't agree with me. It gives me bad abdominal pain and headaches. I was going to give it to a friend, but I've taken ALA before and it was fine. Thus, I suspected something was wrong with this batch. The glue-like mass it formed made me question the purity of this powder or whether it was indeed ALA.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Edited by bdnf, 11 October 2004 - 11:48 AM.

#2 pinballwizard

• Life Member
  • 317 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 09:57 AM

It is my first batch I bought... so with a grain of salt.

I hope it was just 100 mgs as opposed to Gs.

I think you got the same kind as everyone else. I actually put a whole bunch in my mouth and stuck to my mouth and actually, I think burned it, perhaps it is acidic, or something. It is very difficult to cap with other things... it actually gets more difficult to mix with other powders as you mix it so you have to be quick and do a little at a time. As everyone has stated in other posts, it is unstable and degrades. K-RALA supposedly does not have these features.

well, if it does not make you feel good, dont take it. Take the other kind.

anyone else know?

sincerely, pinball

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

• Lurker

Posted 11 October 2004 - 10:14 AM

bdnf, I don't think the batch was bad. I'm worried the fact that you put it in hot water may have degraded it, I do not know too much about how ALA degrades but I'm pretty sure putting it in hot water is a good way to make it degrade.

#4 bdnf

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 11:39 AM

Pinball, I too have put ALA in my mouth, albeit it did not solidify. Similar to you, I found ALA to be acidic - causing irritation to my buccal cavity and pharynx. I might give K-R-ALA a shot.

Yes Cosmos, I am also inclined to think that the hot water was responsible for the semi-solid mass that formed. However, I am not confident (anyone else have any suggestions?) Unfortunately I cannot repeat the 'experiment' with water as I have no ALA remaining.

Nevertheless, if ALA is indeed this vulnerable to degradation, wouldn't it be basically rendered inactive/useless upon reaching the stomach (pH = 2.0) where it is exposed to numerous degrating enzymes. (Just a thought).

#5 nootropi

• 1,207 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 11:43 AM

Hmmm...from what I read regular ALA is not as beneficial as RALA. KRALA is the best because it is stabilized and most bio available.

You might want to dump the ALA for the KRALA.

Also: you need a scale. I posted a link to a very good cheap one in my capping guide.

Take care.

• Lurker

Posted 11 October 2004 - 11:56 AM

ALA is 50% R-ALA, and that is the useful isomer for the body.

I don't know exactly what happens when you ingest it, how it's absorbed and used, etc. You can probably be assured that they wouldn't sell the stuff if it wasn't absorbed by the body and put to use somehow, there are studies that back this up.

Perhaps you should consider doing a cost-benefit analysis as to which form of ALA you want to buy before you buy from smi2le.

ALA - > 50% R-ALA, degrades
R-ALA -> entirely usuable by the body, degrades
K-RALA -> entirely usuable by the body, does not easily degrade

I've made posts like this in the past, it's your call as to which one you will buy.

How old are you btw?

#7 bdnf

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 12:14 PM

23 yrs old.

• Lurker

Posted 11 October 2004 - 02:18 PM

Do you think you need ALA at this point in life? Are you using ALCAR concurrently with it?

I was thinking that ALA would be something good to add to a stack in your late 20's as a part of a more extensive LE regimen. If you're using ALCAR I suppose you can justify adding ALA as well, also if you're an active person it would be a good supplement to add.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 unipolar_mania

• 87 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 11:53 AM

LOOK BDNF...SOMEONE SAID THAT ALA STICKS TO THEIR TONGUE...MAYBE THIS IS THE SAME SORT OF GLUE-LIKE MASS YOU SPEAK OF (EXCEPT ITS NOT AS MUCH). I WONDER WHAT THE STATE OF HIS STOMACH IS LIKE!!!

Subject: Poll for the worst tasting nootropic (just for fun)
This is the only article in this thread
View: Original Format
Newsgroups: rec.drugs.smart
Date: 2004-10-16 14:45:28 PST

Since I started buying those bulk powders that are all the rage, I
have been driven to "taste" those supps that used to be in a pill. I
also tasted others for the hell of it.

My votes:

Nice tasting: l-theanine, inositol (tastes like sugar),
errrrrr...that's it! maybe DMG? l-phenylalanine is not too bad, not
great though. Creatine, very powdery but not unpleasant. MSM. Alpha
GPC is quite mild from what I've tried...SAMe smells very weird but is
not unpleasant,

Bearable, but weird/unpleasant:
vitamin C,
piracetam,
phenibut (yes!, the "zesty" taste is not the worst there is!), B5,
liquid lecithin (try it cold) granules which taste better,
hydergine (chewed pill, irritates gums/tongue), vinpocetine (pill),
dmae (stings a lot), alcar also, idebenone is pretty tasteless but not
unpleasant/pleasant,
pyritinol, chocamine (but it's ok with some honey to wash it down).

Atrocious/unbearable: green tea strong 95:1 extract (made me buy
capping equipment), gingko strong 50:1 extract (possibly the worst,
tastes like extremely bad halitosis), zinc, r-ala, (seems to stay
glued to and burn through your tongue forever!), centrophenoxine
(burns a lot),

Those I wouldn't/didn't try: vitamin B complex (yuck! just the smell),
most herbs, curcumin, ...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users