• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

once found, will immortality be afordable?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 BrandonKing

• 34 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 06:20 AM

What happens after immortality is achieved in our lifetime? will people have to pay millions for it? what about the non millionaires on this site who support it? what happens to us? after all the time and money we place in this, would they give us immortality for free because of our support or will we be screwed like everyone else who cant afford it?

i have been thinking of this lately and it has REALLY been concerning me and i hope someone important scientists who are members of this site answers this to settle my thoughts. but i want to hear what everyone here has to say and i really hope there is someone who can ease my mind because this is really concerning me right now. :sad:

#2 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 06:33 AM

Is it only the rich that get penicillin and surgery and implants and things? For other products, things like cell phones, computers, cars and even dwellings become commodities over time. In the beginning the therapies will likely be expensive and only the rich will be able to afford them but that is good news for everybody else because they will serve as the guinea pigs as the therapies go through refinement that makes them better and cheaper for everybody else. Consider that in around 1980 a cell phone was probably around $1,000 and now kids in third world countries have them. Not to mention, when these therapies and various techniques for administering indefinite life extension get here politicians wont be able to get elected unless they have a good plan for helping to get it to the people on their agendas. Activists and organizations, human rights groups and others will fight to keep this fair. Dont worry. Our biggest obstacle right now is getting the world all in on this. So help us inform them by helping us execute the various plans going down around the cause. Find the volunteer topics and or talk to me.
  • like x 2

#3 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:11 AM

^^ Listen to brokenportal, the man has thought about this topic more than you've had hot dinners! Yet even he has underestimated the rapid rate of technological advancement... The first cell phone was created in 1983, nicknamed "The brick" it weighed 2 pounds, offered just a half-hour of talk time for every recharging and sold for $3,995... Today they are essentially free, and a similar story can be told for almost all other peices of technology. There is every reason to think that the first generation of rejuvination technologies will follow the same path... I ♥ technology !

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:39 PM

I didn't read other comments, just wanted to say:
The cure itself probably won't be that expensive and with today's open sourcing, hacking and all that, even if it was restricted, people around the world would replicate the method and it will get to everyone one way or the other.

#5 churchill

• 286 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:33 PM

What happens after immortality is achieved in our lifetime? will people have to pay millions for it? what about the non millionaires on this site who support it? what happens to us? after all the time and money we place in this, would they give us immortality for free because of our support or will we be screwed like everyone else who cant afford it?

i have been thinking of this lately and it has REALLY been concerning me and i hope someone important scientists who are members of this site answers this to settle my thoughts. but i want to hear what everyone here has to say and i really hope there is someone who can ease my mind because this is really concerning me right now. :sad:

Yes it would initially be very expensive and involve multiple treatments which will probably be quite painful so I think many would not do it anyway. After this initial period costs would decline and it would be accessible to all, similar to how it worked with penicillin + facelifts.

#6 BrandonKing

• Topic Starter
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:39 PM

thanks guys especially you brokenportal, that really did ease my mind but im just hoping that it will be affordable before i die good thing im still in High School so i got lots of time to wait and help out in any way i can at this moment in time

#7 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:02 PM

I wonder how society will become once aging is beaten. Lots of interesting changes are bound to happen. Can you imagine the rich and powerful getting ever more rich and powerful? The power of compound interest on a personal fortune of U$ millions or billions over 1,000 years? I'm not against it, i'm just saying, it'll be very interesting.

#8 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:56 PM

renamed the topic as "very important question" is like spam when one looks at the list of threads

#9 chris w

• 740 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:38 AM

I wonder how society will become once aging is beaten. Lots of interesting changes are bound to happen. Can you imagine the rich and powerful getting ever more rich and powerful? The power of compound interest on a personal fortune of U$ millions or billions over 1,000 years? I'm not against it, i'm just saying, it'll be very interesting.

If you literary mean timespans as long as for ex 10 centuries or so, I think we might be in a veeery different environment as to notions of "wealth", "power" etc. Like, in 1000 AD you were a somebody when you could summon a lot of armored dudes on horses, now influence is exerted in many more ways ( though obviously organised physical force still has its place ), future may see some new paradigm alltogether, at one point, quantties of some arbitrary tokens may become irrelevant as to who you are among your species.

#10 Reno

• 584 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:13 AM

I see many policies introduced by china becoming globally mainstream. With the influx of population it is very likely that we'll see government controlled birth licenses, forced abortions, and government sanctioned breading programs.

When discovered, the means by which immortality is achieved will need to be globally released fast before such a discovery goes the way of so many energy breakthroughs. I could definitely see such a breakthrough being bought, buried, and forgotten before the public consciousness becomes aware of it.

Edited by Reno, 09 October 2010 - 01:16 AM.

#11 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:34 AM

government sanctioned breading programs.

People will first be covered lightly with flour, then dipped into egg, coated with bread crumbs, and finally baked.

But looking on the positive side, breading Adds Moisture, Taste, and Texture.
  • like x 1

#12 Reno

• 584 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:48 AM

government sanctioned breading programs.

People will first be covered lightly with flour, then dipped into egg, coated with bread crumbs, and finally baked.

But looking on the positive side, breading Adds Moisture, Taste, and Texture.

hehe good point. Maybe we can vote in some powdered sugar.

edit: breeding*

#13 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 04:26 AM

Is it only the rich that get penicillin and surgery and implants and things? For other products, things like cell phones, computers, cars and even dwellings become commodities over time. In the beginning the therapies will likely be expensive and only the rich will be able to afford them but that is good news for everybody else because they will serve as the guinea pigs as the therapies go through refinement that makes them better and cheaper for everybody else. Consider that in around 1980 a cell phone was probably around $1,000 and now kids in third world countries have them. Not to mention, when these therapies and various techniques for administering indefinite life extension get here politicians wont be able to get elected unless they have a good plan for helping to get it to the people on their agendas. Activists and organizations, human rights groups and others will fight to keep this fair. Dont worry. Our biggest obstacle right now is getting the world all in on this. So help us inform them by helping us execute the various plans going down around the cause. Find the volunteer topics and or talk to me.

This is heartening, and I suspect that in the long run, this is the way things will go. In the short to medium term, I'm of a different mind. If we use the profit motive to fund the development of anti-aging and regenerative therapies, there is going to be a period of patent protection where it will be very expensive. Even after patents run out, generic drugs can still be quite expensive, particularly if they are expensive to synthesize, or have elaborate extended release formulations. If organ printing is a big part of the toolkit, then the cost of creating the organ is only the beginning. You still have to pay for a transplant surgery and recovery, not the sort of thing that gets exponentially cheaper. Stem cell therapies involve collecting and growing up cells, then reimplanting them. Not likely to get cheap real soon. I do think that ultimately, we will have affordable solutions. However, I think there will be a window of time in which rich people will get to live while people of modest means will die. Actually, we're in that window right now. It's called the American healthcare system. People in the third world die of preventable diseases all the time. I was going to say that seeing poor people die while rich people get to keep living a healthy life would shock people into addressing the inequities in society, but it hasn't yet. Maybe that's because the poor are mostly off in countries we've never been to, and they're easy to ignore. Or maybe it's because today, the difference in lifespan between the rich and the middle class isn't that large. When the gap starts to widen substantially, then things may get weird.

#14 Cameron

• 167 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:27 AM

If the first gen treatments prove effective, I'm pretty sure plenty of corporations will be willing to 'lend' a hand. Sad as it is, while such treatments should once proven, somehow be made available at the lowest possible costs, the likeliest thing is lobbying allowing for a new way to create long term debt-slaves. Probably unforgivable debt like student loans, but far larger and taking a larger cut should you fail to pay.

Hopefully simultaneous advances in other areas like automation impede such outcomes.

#15 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:48 PM

This is heartening, and I suspect that in the long run, this is the way things will go. In the short to medium term, I'm of a different mind. If we use the profit motive to fund the development of anti-aging and regenerative therapies, there is going to be a period of patent protection where it will be very expensive. Even after patents run out, generic drugs can still be quite expensive, particularly if they are expensive to synthesize, or have elaborate extended release formulations. If organ printing is a big part of the toolkit, then the cost of creating the organ is only the beginning. You still have to pay for a transplant surgery and recovery, not the sort of thing that gets exponentially cheaper. Stem cell therapies involve collecting and growing up cells, then reimplanting them. Not likely to get cheap real soon. I do think that ultimately, we will have affordable solutions. However, I think there will be a window of time in which rich people will get to live while people of modest means will die. Actually, we're in that window right now. It's called the American healthcare system. People in the third world die of preventable diseases all the time. I was going to say that seeing poor people die while rich people get to keep living a healthy life would shock people into addressing the inequities in society, but it hasn't yet. Maybe that's because the poor are mostly off in countries we've never been to, and they're easy to ignore. Or maybe it's because today, the difference in lifespan between the rich and the middle class isn't that large. When the gap starts to widen substantially, then things may get weird.

This is the way I see things when the treatments do come about. I guess I fear, with my lack of functioning, in some areas like full time employment, I could easily be in the have not, category, even with some money I may inherit and so on. I certainly think we can't become so blind sighted by the race to extend life that we ignore third world needs, but, like you said, that is happening presently, and probably has always been that way, to a degree. David Pierces' aboloshment of human suffering, is a wonderful future idea, but I don't see anything like that close to being implemented until after we're at a point where there IS universal access to rejuvenation therapies. That, may sound so obvious, but I could imagine a world, not far off from now, where the have's are living indefinitely, and get to work on their mental and physical suffering, while people in Africa just continue to die of Malaria and diarrhea, and polio. Trying to reach "as many people as possible," as is Aubrey's intention, will never be even close to what we want, at least not with our greedy patent system, and corrupt/greedy pharmaceutical companies, looking at profit completely ahead of human life, as not even as worthy as the dollar.

If anyone has some mastermind plan a to how to change the failed patent, system, I would love to know...in fact maybe we should start a brainstorming thread, for ways we as trans-humanist community members, could possibly make a difference. Like brilliant ideas.

Edited by dfowler, 09 October 2010 - 02:51 PM.

• like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#16 Philosophicus

• 14 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:53 PM

I agree that this is a very important question.

But as others speculated, the society mature as a whole and see that all the members
of the society need these benefits.

Here is an interesting view:

In the near future, let us assume that aging is cured and became affordable. Then we have a millionaire who not only can afford it but help a few others to get cured. But if he thinks only for himself for a very short period he may choose to ignore his friends.

But if he truly understands the implications of very long life-span then he has to think of very long time periods which
inevitably requires a good company (community) and relations with them. So helping them while he can is the best option, instead of regretting after a few centuries. What is the point if your an immortal but alone.

So basically altruism (at-least in his friends circle)is the best bet.
  • like x 1

#17 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:07 PM

If anyone has some mastermind plan a to how to change the failed patent, system, I would love to know...in fact maybe we should start a brainstorming thread, for ways we as trans-humanist community members, could possibly make a difference. Like brilliant ideas.

Failed patent system? Get us anything better, give us a better idea of how to run the system then. Profit motive is what drives private enterprises and this is how it should be. The government should never be solely responsible for technological and medicam progress.

It's very likely that many have-nots will die because they won't be able to afford -no matter how much they whine that "it's their right" and stuff- radical life extending therapies in their beginning. What you can do is work your ass off and get rich enough to be able to afford them.

Edited by forever freedom, 10 October 2010 - 11:08 PM.

• dislike x 1

#18 Philosophicus

• 14 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 02:09 AM

Failed patent system? Get us anything better, give us a better idea of how to run the system then. Profit motive is what drives private enterprises and this is how it should be. The government should never be solely responsible for technological and medicam progress.

It's very likely that many have-nots will die because they won't be able to afford -no matter how much they whine that "it's their right" and stuff- radical life extending therapies in their beginning. What you can do is work your ass off and get rich enough to be able to afford them.

In my opinion, the profit motive is okay as long as it benefits all the stakeholders.

But in the current system (of lack thereof) the profit only goes to investors and the top directors/chairmen. A few gold biscuits to CEOs and politicians.

However a company is run not just by the top management, it needs everybody from office assistants, programmers, technicians, customers, marketing personal
and other stakeholders. So it is only logical that all of them are benefited proportionately. (Based on their effort). But currently these efforts are
measured and decided by the top level only. So I think the problem is that top level people have too much control. So more balanced/objective system is needed.

I would say sustainability should be motivation for all institutions and organisations.
  • like x 1

#19 BrandonKing

• Topic Starter
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:10 PM

the problem with that is that most of the world is have-nots so according to you only the rich will live long enough to live forever while the rest die out essentially ending humanity

#20 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:50 PM

the problem with that is that most of the world is have-nots so according to you only the rich will live long enough to live forever while the rest die out essentially ending humanity

Why would humanity end? How did you come to existence? Your parents made you, and people will keep making new people as long as people keep dying of old age.

But i don't think these technologies will take much longer than one or two decades to become available to the vast majority of the people in the developed world, and to many in the developing world.

We need to remember that it will not be like an immortality pill. There will be new technologies that are almost still experimental and the rich will serve as guinea pigs. I think that once the benefits are proven then there will be massive pressure to make the technologies available to everyone.

Being super rich or just mildly affluent by that time will probably just give one 5 to 10 years at most. So if by then you're very old, being rich would help, but if you're below 70 then i don't think it'll make much difference. I could be very wrong, though. Who knows or can accurately predict which changes will society go through once we develop radically life extending technologies? It will change everything.

Edited by forever freedom, 13 October 2010 - 03:50 PM.

#21 ChromodynamicGirl

• 134 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:31 PM

It will be affordable...if you have enough money. Like anything else. That's how scarcity works. If you can't afford it...too bad?
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#22 firespin

• 116 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:47 PM

When biological immortality first come I believe it will probably be expensive...but chances are there also will be companies and lenders willing to give a loan, like the present student loans or mortgage. If you are not going to die anyway (barring any suicide or a unfortunate accident) they wouldn't mind lending because they would have all the time in world to collect the loan + interest.

Though just like any other technology immortality costs will decrease within time to the point when it is no longer expensive and there is no need for loans.

Edited by firespin, 15 October 2010 - 06:50 PM.

#23 BrandonKing

• Topic Starter
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:37 PM

well if the government would either help or get out of the way we could extend our lives to live till its cheap regardless of how long i believe

#24 BrandonKing

• Topic Starter
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:09 PM

yeah i can agree with that. and i never felt like i belonged among the averge american anyway, which is one reason i like this site to talk to like minded individuals, but thats another story for another time. anyways hopefully i can get a successful career in politics after High School and hey who is to say that the Government wont start funding these type of projects after people like us show results or get a big enough following whichever comes first. i have a good 70+ years before i die unless ur counting a freak accident so hopefully it would be cheap enough ny then

#25 firespin

• 116 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:15 PM

yeah i can agree with that. and i never felt like i belonged among the averge american anyway, which is one reason i like this site to talk to like minded individuals, but thats another story for another time. anyways hopefully i can get a successful career in politics after High School and hey who is to say that the Government wont start funding these type of projects after people like us show results or get a big enough following whichever comes first. i have a good 70+ years before i die unless ur counting a freak accident so hopefully it would be cheap enough ny then

You should also start saving your money as well when you are legally able to. All those years of saving and interest growth should help if treatments are expensive. I believe major progress will take at least 30 years (hopefully quicker) so that is plenty of time for everyone to start saving.

Edited by firespin, 26 October 2010 - 07:23 PM.

#26 BrandonKing

• Topic Starter
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:09 PM

You should also start saving your money as well when you are legally able to. All those years of saving and interest growth should help if treatments are expensive. I believe major progress will take at least 30 years (hopefully quicker) so that is plenty of time for everyone to start saving.

thats a good point my brother is a sergeant in the US Army and he saves HALF his paycheck he will have at least over a couple million if he saves half until he retires. i might want to start doing that

#27 Kolos

• 209 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 03:48 PM

If it would cost milions or even bilions saving wouldn't be enough for most of us anyway... but to be honest I don't see many reasons why would it be so expensive, perhaps if it required turning you into cyborg long before the technology become cheap but gene/nano therapy shouldn't be that expensive. For countries with public health care it might be even refunded because it's much cheaper to keep people younger and there are many reasons for this. Aging is a serious problem in all developed societies, but there might be even charity anti-aging programs for less developed countries so I wouldn't care about this too much, as long as you're not a junkie you should get your immortality, perhaps faster if you have more money.

#28 chris w

• 740 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:54 PM

For countries with public health care it might be even refunded because it's much cheaper to keep people younger and there are many reasons for this.

Yes but only to the extent that the gradually immortalised people stop draining the resources by being on government pensions instead of being active in the work force. I can't see what sane goverment on earth would be willing to intentionally just give people a paid vacation period like today's state funded retirement, only much much longer as the longevity technology matures - this would constitute the ultimate free lunch.

Surely, it's a no brainer that a country will be better off with physiologically younger, thus healthier and more dynamic population, but not if they just sit around watching tv for decades beacuse they're entitled to do that. Eventually regulations will adjust like they always do, but there may be this troubling lag period, when law hasn't yet catched up with the progressing tech, and people stop dying on schedule thanks to the therapies but still remain only consuments of goods and do not produce much themselves.
  • like x 1

#29 Kolos

• 209 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:53 PM

Yes but only to the extent that the gradually immortalised people stop draining the resources by being on government pensions instead of being active in the work force. I can't see what sane goverment on earth would be willing to intentionally just give people a paid vacation period like today's state funded retirement, only much much longer as the longevity technology matures - this would constitute the ultimate free lunch.

There are risks but people who eventually refund it don't have to care about long term consequences for the economy etc. just the health system. Old people require regular medical attention and there will be more of them in the future since our society is aging.
But there are more reasons why it should be refunded , just imagine the pressure on the government, you can't just ignore the masses this days and masses wouldn't be happy if immortality was something reserved to the wealthy elites so most governments would probably do anything to make it as aveilable as possible and fast because every natural death would be now counted as their fault by the voters...
Will that end up as a huge disaster because of our laziness or some other factors is a topic for other discussion I think.

#30 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:58 PM

most governments would probably do anything to make it as aveilable as possible and fast because every natural death would be now counted as their fault by the voters...

Right, and lets also not forget that first, only some wealthy people are greedy to that extent. Second, lets also not forget that as powerful as the wealthy may be, the masses are also powerful. The wealthy could even ask, "what if the masses try to prevent us from getting it?" Both scenarios seem about as unlikely.

Lets get indefinite life extension worked out, and if other challenges like this or others arise, then we'll take on that challenge too. We are here to get indefinite life extension regardless of the obstacles that may come our way. We didnt sign up to do this because we knew what the whole job entailed. We signed up despite that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users