Photo

Enteric Coated Ibuprofen?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:15 PM

Is there such a thing as enterically coated ibuprofen? All I could find were a few technical papers describing the process.

I'm considering taking this consistently, possibly in higher dosages, and potentially for an extended period to help with chronic back pain with several interrelated causes. Given the possibility of stomach problems, enteric coating would seem to be desirable. Any help greatly appreciated!

#2 aLurker

• 715 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:40 PM

A google search for enteric coated ibuprofen turned up this. The bad news are that it's prescription only, in the UK and most importantly they didn't list a price which makes me question the availability. Perhaps you want to send them a mail at least.

I also found this glowing product review that mentions that the reviewed tablets have an enteric coating and even though I certainly wouldn't trust a single review on the Internet it might be worth sending an inquiry to the manufacturer regarding this.

I guess you could also get in touch with a compounding pharmacy if the process isn't too complicated.

Edited by aLurker, 09 October 2010 - 05:54 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#3 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:58 PM

These people make enteric coatings for supplements; you might be able to order a free sample, with luck it will be enough for your needs.

You can get a free bottle of Advil HERE.

Naprosyn E is an enteric coated naproxen, which I found to work better than ibuprofen for some kinds of pain, but naproxen is worse than aspirin on the stomach. Uless it has the enteric coating take it with Prilosec:) Ibuprofen is supposed to cause less bleeding than aspirin, which may be why it is not readily available with an enteric coating.

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:02 PM

I don't think that an enteric coating will help much. The well known GI problems of NSAIDs are mostly due to COX-1 inhibition. This prevents the synthesis of protective prostaglandins, and leads to higher acid secretion and reduced protective responses. That's the driving force behind the development of the COX-2 selective NSAIDs, which unfortunately have their own problems. The COX-1 inhibition is is going to be affected by plasma concentrations of the drug, regardless of the route of absorption. This state of affairs does kind of suck. The COX-2 specific compounds (Vioxx, Celebrex) were really expected to be a great breakthrough. The very name "Celebrex" was probably meant to reflect the celebratory mood of arthritis sufferers and shareholders alike. It's really too bad they had cardiac sides.
  • like x 1

#5 chrono

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:45 PM

Thanks a lot for the ideas, guys. Given the possible problems even with enteric coating, I think I'll forgo chronic usage right now. It really only helps with certain kinds of pain, that appear for the most part when I push myself physically.

I'll definitely give naproxen a try as well, I saw it at the store earlier this week and was meaning to read up on it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#6 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:39 AM

There's always vicodin; no problem with bleeding there, and it relieves pain with a vengeance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users