Photo
- - - - -

Men taking estrogen

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 j03

• 592 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:13 AM

Has there been experiments on giving men estrogen supplements? What would happen if a man exogenously raised his estrogen levels? Would it lead to the softening of skin and a softer overall appearance? Could it possibly be used to offset the masculating process that's inherent to aging and to maintain a youthful appearance, especially in men in their twenties that all ready went through puberty, etc. ?

What are the downsides? Is impotence one?

Edited by k4t, 09 December 2010 - 01:14 AM.

#2 ggranger007

• 14 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:26 AM

Downsides? Gynecomastia (@#$%^! tits)? Increased cancer incidence? This idea is all sorts of bad.

No, it would not prevent masculination - women undergo it, too. Compare the pictures of a woman in her 20s to one in her 30s. Guys should welcome it, anyway - men get better looking with age. ;)

No, you would not go impotent... sheesh! However, estrogen would kill your libido.

You are naturally going to have more estrogen as you get older as your body increases aromatase activity and conversion of T to E. I have to say you are probably the only guy I have heard who wants MORE of it.

If you are doing this all to keep "softer skin," the best thing you can do is to avoid excess sun exposure, wear sunscreen whenever you go outside and use facial creams at night. Your skin cells will age no matter what you do, but these will help prevent oxidative damage. Using one with CoQ10 may also help restore enzymatic activity. I can't believe I am giving this advice...
  • dislike x 3
  • like x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 tlm884

• 597 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:47 PM

Has there been experiments on giving men estrogen supplements? What would happen if a man exogenously raised his estrogen levels? Would it lead to the softening of skin and a softer overall appearance? Could it possibly be used to offset the masculating process that's inherent to aging and to maintain a youthful appearance, especially in men in their twenties that all ready went through puberty, etc. ?

What are the downsides? Is impotence one?

You realize people undergoing gender reassignment take estrogen right? So if your planning on gender reassignment in the future, then I guess by all means take estrogen. If not, may I suggest some Aveeno for softer skin?

#4 j03

• Topic Starter
  • 592 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:45 PM

This isn't something i want to do, it was just a thought that popped into my head. I'm happy with my testosterone and will supplement it as I age.

#5 theflatworld

• 88 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:42 AM

hmmm....it really depends on your dosage. estrogen kills your libido, though not completely. You can have it if you want to. I have been on estrogen for 2 years, all I can say is that I am androgynous in looking. My facial features, due to changes at puberty, are not reversible, and overall, I does appear younger and skin is WAY better. breast development is very minimal. I would say it raised 1/3 of an inch. so it is easily hide even in summer time. I feel subjectively younger so do others people think of me. By the way, I take 2 mg a day

Edited by theflatworld, 27 December 2010 - 07:44 AM.

#6 outsider

• 396 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:08 PM

hmmm....it really depends on your dosage. estrogen kills your libido, though not completely. You can have it if you want to. I have been on estrogen for 2 years, all I can say is that I am androgynous in looking. My facial features, due to changes at puberty, are not reversible, and overall, I does appear younger and skin is WAY better. breast development is very minimal. I would say it raised 1/3 of an inch. so it is easily hide even in summer time. I feel subjectively younger so do others people think of me. By the way, I take 2 mg a day

And what is your personality, more girl or boy.

#7 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:08 PM

Men already have sufficient estrogen naturally, but many aging men develop excess estrogen. In fact, many aging men have more estrogen than their postmenopausal wives.

If you want to see the effect of excess estrogen and insufficient testosterone in men, just look at the average post-middle-aged man.

Increased incidence of cancer has been mentioned.

Estrogen supplementation in men will cause shutdown of testosterone production (via negative feedback). Low testosterone has been linked with insulin resistance, obesity, heart disease, and increased mortality in men.

Loss of libido.

Impotence is indeed a side effect in men.

Estrogen is pro-inflammatory (whereas testosterone is anti-inflammatory). Chronic inflammation is linked with all kinds of morbidity.

Estrogen lowers pain thresholds whereas testosterone tends to raise it. Women are indeed more susceptible than men to chronic pain conditions such as fibromyalgia.

Excess estrogen in men tends to cause water retention, high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease.

Estrogen causes fat accumulation. Women indeed have higher body fat than men.

Excess estrogen has been linked to prostate hyperplasia and prostate cancer in men.

Excess estrogen in men tends to cause depression and anxiety disorders. Indeed, women are more susceptible to these disorders than men.

Edited by viveutvivas, 27 December 2010 - 04:03 PM.

• Agree x 1

#8 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:28 PM

It depends on the type of estrogen. Not all estrogen will raise your risk of cancer/bitch tits/make you fat.
  • like x 1

#9 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:18 PM

It depends on the type of estrogen. Not all estrogen will raise your risk of cancer/bitch tits/make you fat.

Men should only take estrogen if they are undergoing a M2F sex change under strict medical supervision. If not, taking estrogen can have far-reaching effects and cause permanent harm.

#10 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:33 PM

Be careful what you wish for. From the Textbook of Cosmetic Dermatology: here

Skin collagen is packed less densely in females than males, ...

Lower initial skin collagen content is therefore the reason women appear to age earlier than men.

As far as their skin is concerned, women look about 15 years older than men of the same age throughout their adult life.

Cutaneous aging is slower in men, but is often more evident because of deeper wrinkles and a greater degree of exposure.

The male skin appears to be better hydrated than that of the femal. The male skin has greater elasticity [than the female]

Edited by viveutvivas, 27 December 2010 - 07:34 PM.

#11 theflatworld

• 88 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:48 PM

Be careful what you wish for. From the Textbook of Cosmetic Dermatology: here

Skin collagen is packed less densely in females than males, ...

Lower initial skin collagen content is therefore the reason women appear to age earlier than men.

As far as their skin is concerned, women look about 15 years older than men of the same age throughout their adult life.

Cutaneous aging is slower in men, but is often more evident because of deeper wrinkles and a greater degree of exposure.

The male skin appears to be better hydrated than that of the femal. The male skin has greater elasticity [than the female]

please define hydration, collagen density, where are the lab tests across race, age groups? What are the intrinsic cell level differences?

#12 spacetime

• 191 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:37 PM

I'm curious as to what your reason is for supplementing with estrogen.

#13 Aldo Tsukiko Penelope Gil

• 3 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

May I ask what and where you get your pills? And what effects have they had on you?

#14 Guardian4981

• 248 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

Partially wrong, estrogen lowers pain thresholds because it tends to help lubricate the joints. Estrogen also can raise libido in men if the man also has healthy testosterone levels.

Women are more prone to pain likely because they tend to have lower and more volatile serotonin levels.

#15 old_as_a_fossil

• 7 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

I'm reviving this thread to ask my question. I was having too high E2 so I took Arimidex but unfortunately I had taken too much of it (0.5 mg on alternate days, eating up 8.5 tablets of 1 mg each) and went too low on E2. I'm not on HRT. Its been 35 days since I stopped taking it, but still the E2 blood test shows <20. This is causing major erectile dysfunction. Should I take E2 supplement to bring the E2 to between 20 and 30? Please help before I shoot myself (not literally).

Edited by old_as_a_fossil, 05 January 2013 - 04:25 PM.

#16 Aldo Tsukiko Penelope Gil

• 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

Where do you buy this stuff?

#17 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:02 AM

I'm reviving this thread to ask my question. I was having too high E2 so I took Arimidex but unfortunately I had taken too much of it (0.5 mg on alternate days, eating up 8.5 tablets of 1 mg each) and went too low on E2. I'm not on HRT. Its been 35 days since I stopped taking it, but still the E2 blood test shows <20. This is causing major erectile dysfunction. Should I take E2 supplement to bring the E2 to between 20 and 30? Please help before I shoot myself (not literally).

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Anastrozole

Study data suggests dosages of 0.5 mg to 1 mg a day reduce serum estradiol approx. 50% in men, which differs in postmenopausal women.[10]

#18 AlexCanada

• 263 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:12 PM

Downsides? Gynecomastia (@#$%^! tits)? Increased cancer incidence? This idea is all sorts of bad.

No, it would not prevent masculination - women undergo it, too. Compare the pictures of a woman in her 20s to one in her 30s. Guys should welcome it, anyway - men get better looking with age. wink.gif

No, you would not go impotent... sheesh! However, estrogen would kill your libido.

You are naturally going to have more estrogen as you get older as your body increases aromatase activity and conversion of T to E. I have to say you are probably the only guy I have heard who wants MORE of it.

If you are doing this all to keep "softer skin," the best thing you can do is to avoid excess sun exposure, wear sunscreen whenever you go outside and use facial creams at night. Your skin cells will age no matter what you do, but these will help prevent oxidative damage. Using one with CoQ10 may also help restore enzymatic activity. I can't believe I am giving this advice...

Estrogenic substances such as Eleuthero Root do a great job in boosting my libido. Meanwhile TongKat Ali (testosterone) leaves me irritable and apathetic. But I deal with very low estrogen levels.

How would one increase aromatase activity? Which herbs or supplements would be viable? Dong Quai?

I need to raise my low estrogen levels as it is drastically effecting all manners of my life, whether it is my mood, pain in my joints/bones, or the severe collagen loss in my face + obvious wrinles thanks to dosing too highly on Resveratrol junk. One of the biggest mistakes of my life.  Does anyone have any suggestions??  Anything over the counter I can use? Or suggestions for herbal and general supplements? Definitely willing to try meds as long as there is a source where I don't need a script. 

Edited by AlexCanada, 17 May 2015 - 10:44 PM.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#19 BillyJeans

• 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:41 PM

Did you go see a doctor for this? It's better to consult proper prescription if it's causing ED.

#20 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:18 PM

Estrogen is good for men but I don't see why you wouldn't go with testosterone injections and let the aromatization take over.

#21 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:53 PM

Men should never take estrogen directly. If you are really low in testosterone and estrogen, clomiphene is the best way to increase it if your testicles can still make testosterone. Supplementing testosterone directly is the last resort for people whose testicles can no longer produce enough testosterone.
Using testosterone will ruin your testicles.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...ubmed/22951175/

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#22 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:31 PM

I believe the anti-atherosclerosis properties of estrogen may be conferred by clomiphene. So, yes, clomiphene may be what you need. Clomiphene also increases testosterone and male fertility, so it's dual action.

• Needs references x 1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users