- - - - -

Piceatannol is a more potent Sirt1 agonist than resveratrol

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:00 AM

I want to call attention to this topic in supplements: Effect of 36 Polyphenols on SIRT1 p53 deacetylase.

Long story short: researchers tested 36 polyphenols for SIRT1 activity, using an alternate assay to the imperfect Biomol Fleur de Lys Sirt1 assay that is perhaps more accurate. They found resveratrol was not the most potent activator, piceatannol was almost three times more effective. However, piceatannol is a major metabolic product of resveratrol(PMID: 15276085); blood levels of piceatannol are much higher than those of resveratrol half an hour after resveratrol administration. Speculation, but I wonder if this accounts for the effects we have observed from resveratrol, despite the low serum levels achieved.

Edited by maxwatt, 03 January 2011 - 02:10 AM.
cite reference

#2 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:13 AM

Anybody got a source for piceatannol?

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 FILY

• 17 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:26 AM

Piceatannol,Oxyresveratrol and Pterostilbene has been synthetized in the lab, However we haven't seen huge market demand untill now.

#4 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:59 AM

Piceatannol,Oxyresveratrol and Pterostilbene has been synthetized in the lab, However we haven't seen huge market demand untill now.

Maxwatt,

How effective is Resveratrol metabolised into Piceatannol in the body? Is it worth taking Piceatannol or would there be no benefit at all? Could it be that Piceatannol is better absorbed or more available somehow?

#5 maxwatt

• Topic Starter
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:45 PM

Maxwatt,

How effective is Resveratrol metabolised into Piceatannol in the body? Is it worth taking Piceatannol or would there be no benefit at all? Could it be that Piceatannol is better absorbed or more available somehow?

If enough people want it, I can encourage Kingherbs to import and test a batch for us to experiment with. FWIW, as resveratrol is metabolized to piceatannol, perhaps as much as 20% of it, I am not clear on what the benefits will be. Resveratrol does not act only by activation of SIRT1.

Another possibility is luteolin, I think iherbs has it. I have a few hundred grams. According to the paper that inspired this thread, luteolin is a slightly more potent SIRT1 activator than resveratrol, and it also inhibits its metabolization by sulfotransferases. This might increase resveratrol serum levels, and result in its conversion by CYP1A giving higher levels of Piceatannol in the blood. This is all highly speculative.

#6 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:18 PM

Fily sent me a quote for 500grams of piceatannnol - $16666.00 which makes it almost as expensive as gold on a weight for weight basis. I decided to pass :) Not sure how much Kingherbs will do it for but it would have to be a lot less before I would play... Perhaps you can get some indicative pricing?

#7 maxwatt

• Topic Starter
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:28 AM

Fily sent me a quote for 500grams of piceatannnol - $16666.00 which makes it almost as expensive as gold on a weight for weight basis. I decided to pass :) Not sure how much Kingherbs will do it for but it would have to be a lot less before I would play... Perhaps you can get some indicative pricing?

It's said to be a food additive in Asia. At those prices, not in great quantity. Of course the Chinese eat powdered gold too, in the hopeful belief it will garner wealth. I will ask, but nothing much will happen before Chinese New Year.

N.B.: I am not wildly enthusiastic about taking piceatannol just because one study showed a new assay found it to be twice the activator of SIRT1 than resveratrol. Resveratrol acts by several different targets, and SIRT1 may not even be the most important. However there have been a lot of studies for resveratrol, far fewer for piceatannol (3754 hits on pubmed versus 378.) Maybe some of us should feed it to our pet mice first to see how they do. In yeast, resveratrol increases replicative lifespan, piceatannol does not according to one study (Howitz et al. Small molecule activators of sirtuins extend Saccharomyces cerevisiae lifespan. Nature 425:191-6 (2003).)
Although I think the risks of taking piceatannol are low, they are in fact unknown. We want to extend our lives long enough that advances in nano-technology and biochemistry and will increase lifespans by an order of magnitude. I think the best we can get from supplements including polyphenols is increased healthspan and perhaps with luck an extra ten years of life. Think of it this way: I collect and eat wild mushrooms, and there is a saying among my fellow mushroom eaters: There are old mushroom hunters, and there are bold mushroom hunters, but there are no old bold mushroom hunters.

#8 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:22 AM

It's said to be a food additive in Asia. At those prices, not in great quantity. Of course the Chinese eat powdered gold too, in the hopeful belief it will garner wealth. I will ask, but nothing much will happen before Chinese New Year.

N.B.: I am not wildly enthusiastic about taking piceatannol just because one study showed a new assay found it to be twice the activator of SIRT1 than resveratrol. Resveratrol acts by several different targets, and SIRT1 may not even be the most important. However there have been a lot of studies for resveratrol, far fewer for piceatannol (3754 hits on pubmed versus 378.) Maybe some of us should feed it to our pet mice first to see how they do. In yeast, resveratrol increases replicative lifespan, piceatannol does not according to one study (Howitz et al. Small molecule activators of sirtuins extend Saccharomyces cerevisiae lifespan. Nature 425:191-6 (2003).)
Although I think the risks of taking piceatannol are low, they are in fact unknown. We want to extend our lives long enough that advances in nano-technology and biochemistry and will increase lifespans by an order of magnitude. I think the best we can get from supplements including polyphenols is increased healthspan and perhaps with luck an extra ten years of life. Think of it this way: I collect and eat wild mushrooms, and there is a saying among my fellow mushroom eaters: There are old mushroom hunters, and there are bold mushroom hunters, but there are no old bold mushroom hunters.

You are right of course, but it is not as though I am planning on dumping Res, just adding yet another sup. If it is used in food, it is probably not life threatening, at least at low doses.

Eating gold, sounds delicious....NOT!

I get what you say about old and bold, but we are facing death and we are looking for a mushroom that extends our life because at the moment ALL mushroom hunters eventually die.

#9 FILY

• 17 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:28 AM

As I said before, It was produced in lab, in my opinion it is very very expensive. Ofcoure it depends market demand:)Now just as technological reserve, we are not sure about it for there are not enough research about safety.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:20 PM

Of course the Chinese eat powdered gold too, in the hopeful belief it will garner wealth.

Some people eat silver too.....

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users