Photo
- - - - -

Anyone on Nuvigil?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 kingjames24

• 17 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:54 PM

How does it work for focus, concentration and motivation?

#2 Moddy2012

• 83 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:14 PM

How does it work for focus, concentration and motivation?

I have not used Nuvigil, but I am using the older version, Provigil. I use Alertec which is the Canadian generic of Provigil and yes it does work wonders for my ability to concentrate, focus, and definitely helps my motivation, even when I am tired.

Nuvigil was released because Cephalon is losing the patent on Provigil. The only thing I heard is that Nuvigil is pretty much the same as Provigil except its more potent. 150 mg of Nuvigil is like 300 mg of Provigil. I usually use 100mg of Provigil in the middle of the day when I begin to feel fatigue.

Edited by Moddy2012, 23 January 2011 - 07:15 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 kingjames24

• Topic Starter
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:23 PM

My shrink wants me on 50mg of Nuvigil for a week then increase to 100mg if needed so whats that equal in provigil mg? Also is it any good for ADD?

#4 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:27 PM

I was taking Provigil, but my insurance company had it switched to Nuvigil because of the drug company's subsidy.

Officially 100 mg Provigil = 150 mg Nuvigil. I know it contradicts the above posts, but both my doctor's office and the hotline for United Healt Care made that claim. Provigil is a racemic mixture, and Nuvigil is a single isomer that is metabolized more slowly, and so will last longer. In reality Provigil is coming off patent, and the drug company came out with a variant to prolong patent protection.

Nuvigil is longer lasting, so much so that I have trouble falling asleep at night even if I take it before 8AM. Also the quality of the effect is different. With Provigil I feel alert and focused. With Nuvigil I am alert but easily distracted, not focused, and I get very weary in the late afternoon. No such problem with Provigil. I prefer Provigil, and am seeing my neurologist to get back on it; my insurance company won't take my word for it.

My CYP enzymes are relatively inefficient (except where caffeine is concerned), so I metabolize many drugs more slowly than is typical. You may have no such problems and prefer Nuvigil.

Edited by maxwatt, 23 January 2011 - 10:30 PM.

#5 kingjames24

• Topic Starter
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:45 PM

anyone else on Nuvigil I thought that it was like dexamphetamine vs amphetamine? So your saying there's no truth to this?

Edited by kingjames24, 23 January 2011 - 10:46 PM.

#6 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:47 PM

anyone have a cheap online source.(dreaming i suppose)

#7 kingjames24

• Topic Starter
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:00 PM

how does nuvigil compare to provigil? On bluelight people are saying its more in terms of mg? I know you said thats not true but any online sources you could find?

#8 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:05 PM

My Dr. said so, but he could be wrong I suppose.

#9 Moddy2012

• 83 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:08 PM

Nuvigil is just a way for Cephalon to keep making money. Most people I know would say Provigil is the superior product. Alertec is the Canadian generic and is the same quality as Provigil. There are a lot of Canadian pharmacies that can sell it to you if you have a doctor's script.

Provigil is not like an amphetamine. Amphetamines like Adderall and Dexedrine are generally the drugs of choice for ADD. They are cheap but if you take large quantities, they have nasty effects.

Edited by Moddy2012, 23 January 2011 - 11:08 PM.

#10 VoidPointer

• 123 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:51 AM

Nuvigil is just a way for Cephalon to keep making money. Most people I know would say Provigil is the superior product. Alertec is the Canadian generic and is the same quality as Provigil. There are a lot of Canadian pharmacies that can sell it to you if you have a doctor's script.

Provigil is not like an amphetamine. Amphetamines like Adderall and Dexedrine are generally the drugs of choice for ADD. They are cheap but if you take large quantities, they have nasty effects.

Provigil is classified as a stimulant by most doctors, but it is not approved in the US for ADD. More is known about the long term effects of the usual ADD stimulants than Provigil, which has not been around as long.
ADD meds are not cheap in the US, maybe else where.

#11 Moddy2012

• 83 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:25 PM

Provigil is classified as a stimulant by most doctors, but it is not approved in the US for ADD. More is known about the long term effects of the usual ADD stimulants than Provigil, which has not been around as long.

Provigil is used off label for ADD, studies have confirmed that its effects on ADD are comparable to tradtional meds like Adderall. You can look it up for yourself. It does improve attention and focus, but its FDA approved for Narcolepsy and EDS.

Provigil in the US is expensive, Alertec which is the Canadian version is less expensive. Amphetamines like Adderall and Dexedrine are much cheaper than Provigil, those meds have generics. A month's supply of generic Adderall is around a 1 dollar a pill while Provigil is 10 dollars a pill.

#12 VoidPointer

• 123 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:09 PM

Provigil is used off label for ADD, studies have confirmed that its effects on ADD are comparable to tradtional meds like Adderall. You can look it up for yourself. It does improve attention and focus, but its FDA approved for Narcolepsy and EDS.

Provigil in the US is expensive, Alertec which is the Canadian version is less expensive. Amphetamines like Adderall and Dexedrine are much cheaper than Provigil, those meds have generics. A month's supply of generic Adderall is around a 1 dollar a pill while Provigil is 10 dollars a pill.

I did not say Provigil was not effective for ADD, I said it was not specifically for approved for that in the US because a the FDA though it may cause a serious skin condition in some people. You can look that up too.
Also there only have been at most two studies that compared Provigil to ADD meds and it did not perform any better. I would love to see a comparison against Focalin.
My point was is you have two drugs that have about the same efficacy, then it makes sense to choose the one that has been studied more. They have been giving young children MPH for decades and have looked again at them when they are 40 and found no significant negative long-terms effects.
Maybe modafinil is safer, but right now there is not long term data that suggests this is the case.
Yeah Provigil is very expensive, which is why I will wait til it is generic to try. Unfortunately due to our crappy health care system all those drugs all fairly expensive

#13 Moddy2012

• 83 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:40 PM

I did not say Provigil was not effective for ADD, I said it was not specifically for approved for that in the US because a the FDA though it may cause a serious skin condition in some people. You can look that up too.
Also there only have been at most two studies that compared Provigil to ADD meds and it did not perform any better. I would love to see a comparison against Focalin.
My point was is you have two drugs that have about the same efficacy, then it makes sense to choose the one that has been studied more. They have been giving young children MPH for decades and have looked again at them when they are 40 and found no significant negative long-terms effects.
Maybe modafinil is safer, but right now there is not long term data that suggests this is the case.
Yeah Provigil is very expensive, which is why I will wait til it is generic to try. Unfortunately due to our crappy health care system all those drugs all fairly expensive

There are some Canadian pharmacies where you can get Alertec, which is the same thing as Provigil. These are legit pharmacies too. Alertec is a bit over 2 dollars a pill, they only come in 100 mg. In my experience though 100 mg is good enough.

#14 Joe Black

• 41 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:51 AM

If you remember my name you know i've been trying to get off amphetamines for yaers!

I've tried everything under the sun but never thought any of the modafinil family was worth the price and never tried it. Boy was I wrong.

I've tried every racetam, I take all my vitamins in the morning, 2x protein shakes a day with aniracetam in it with 4 fish oil pills and My results were crap, its better than nothing that for sure but it didnt fix my prolem.

I also did a cycle of 4x5x10ml Cerebrolysin and it was great, don't get me wrong, I plan to get more for sure when I'm done cycling offf for safety.

However Nuvigil for me, for my primary inattentive ADD is like turning off the lightswtich for add for me.

I am titratrating down on the amphetamine (100mg a day) and I've gone days with NONE and didn't bother me.

Nuvigiil is my new god, too bad it costs me $400 for 30 a month without insurance. :)

Any questions about the med feel free to ask me, i have the 150s and 250s and its the best thing since cupcakes, and i fucking love my cupcakes! :D

#15 Raptor87

• Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

Nuvigil is like 300mg of Modafinil (Cephalon). From what I understand it is the best brand on the market, although some react differently. Personally, I think that Modafinil is hard to administer with the perfect dosage, it´s like it gives various effects every time I take it. Although I recommend being on it daily accompanied with melatonin by night. I have been on it for months on different occassions and the cognitive effects comes from longer time of use, too bad that it can give mental problems as some are more sensitive.

It has been used to treat cocaine, amphetime dependance with great results so for addicts it seems to be a wonder drug.

#16 khemix

• 190 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:46 PM

I took Modafinil, anywhere from 100-300mg. Noticed very little in terms of awakeness which is what the drug is supposed to do. A slight increase in concentration. Nothing like Adderall though.

#17 zeropoint

• 92 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

Having used both Nuvigil and Provigil my opinion is that Nuvigil is just a wee bit better than Provigil,sorry folks but it's just a very small difference in "effects" between either the racemic mixture and the isolated isomer, unlike other stuff....modafinil is just too subtle for real difference.

PS: Now the difference between adrafinil and modafinil----there was a difference!

Edited by zeropoint, 10 June 2012 - 08:54 PM.

#18 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:15 AM

Having used both Nuvigil and Provigil my opinion is that Nuvigil is just a wee bit better than Provigil,sorry folks but it's just a very small difference in "effects" between either the racemic mixture and the isolated isomer, unlike other stuff....modafinil is just too subtle for real difference.

PS: Now the difference between adrafinil and modafinil----there was a difference!

Disagree, but it may come down to individual biochemical differences. I am slow to clear many substances (except caffeine!) and I find II need less provigil, but that it lasts longer, much longer. Too long. It doesn't so much interfere with the ability to sleep, but with the desire to sleep, even eighteen hours after taking half of a 100 mg tab.

#19 Gimpy

• 3 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:03 AM

I was prescibed pro/nu -vigil to help with the fatigue, brain fog and overall cognitive sluggishness caused by a brain injury (prefrontal cortex). Provigil had no effect whatsoever. Nothing. I believe the dose was 100mg. Years later, Nuvigil came along and we tried that. Definitely felt the effects of Nuvigil (75mg -- .5 of 150mg tab).

Best way I can describe my nuvigil experience is it felt like I was running on more cylinders. If I had an 8 cylinder brain before the injury, post-injury it's more like a 4. Nuvigil bumped that up closer to a 6. I didn't feel speedy or stimulated. Just more... able?

Because my executive functions were effected by the injury, it's a real struggle for me to organize, initiate and complete tasks. Is not unlike ADD in that respect. Nuvigil made it much easier to actually accomplish things. I remember walking up the stairs and noticing little tumbleweeds of dog hair -- then going to the kitchen, getting a broom and sweeping them like any normal person would. I know that sounds stupid and trivial, but this kind of thing just doesn't happen for me anymore. Under normal circumstances, the stairs and dog hair tumbleweeds would cease to exist by the time I reach the second floor.

The good news:
With nuvigil i accomplished more in 3 days than in god knows how long. The difference wasn't a bump in speed though - more like an increase in torque. I never felt stimulated or tweaky the way I did with ADD meds (ie; on Ritalin I scrubbed dog toys and reeeealy liked it).

The bad news:
After 3 or 4 days I completely crashed and slept for 18 hours. It was like my brain had jumped through hoops for as long as possible and just couldn't anymore. I went on/off the Nuvigil under doctors care at varying doses for a few months but never got past the crash and burn phase.

For me, the effects of Nuvigil were profound but not sustainable.

:(

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#20 japish

• 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

I've also been diagnosed with ADD and have just tried my first dose of Nuvigil today. I am one of those who have a profoundly sensitive awarness of the effects of any drugs/supplements I take. I understand that this "awareness" could be complicated or adulterated by a more pronounced placebo effect. All I can do is interpret my personal experience with this drug in a way that will hopefully educate rather than confuse. Since everyone's biochemistry, tolerances, state of mind, etc. is different, then my subjective experience may or may not be incredibly useful.

I need to add that I also took 2.4g of Piracetam and drank some green tea this morning. Yes, I know this alone is enough to discredit anything I notice today with respect to others who want to understand its effects. I can only hope there is not some interaction between them that greatly distorts the effects I feel with nuvigil such that my experience is 100% useless to others. Although the piracetam and green tea suggest my interests in nootropics, my interest in nuvigil is to see how it effects my ADD and not because I'm looking for some mythical "NZT" enchancing properties.

It's been about an hour and a half since I took the nuvigil. What I'm feeling now is a little anxiety. I have previously been on vyvanse for a couple years -- recently stopped because I couldn't get to sleep. But I would liken this anxiety to the initial feeling I would get when the vyvanse, adderall, or dexedrine, (I've taken them all) begins to kick in. Don't worry this anxiety is subtle and not on a panic attack inducing level. The anxiety could almost be entirely attributed to the caffeine in the green tea I'm drinking -- perhaps magnified by the piracetam? I definitely feel more awake. As far being aware of any congnitive enhancement, I'm not seeing any apparent improvement. The improvement may be there as a result of me being more present, more vigilent. Except for the slight anxiety I'm not noticing any mood change, depression, happiness, euphoria, etc., just me but more awake. I would like to add that even since I've been writing this post the anxiety has subsided, even to the point where I'm not feeling any anxiety at all. At this moment I feel like I just woke up feeling refreshed and energetic, my mood may or may not be slightly elevated (happier), although I do feel this way often and I believe is simply the result of good health. But I cannot dismiss how I feel right now since its valid with respect to documenting my experience on nuvigil. I will report back as I gain more experience of the effects with respect to completing tasks, social interaction, or any other cognitive changes I might notice throughout my work day.

Edited by japish, 14 October 2013 - 02:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users