• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Anything to break down mucus in sinuses?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 caruga

• 514 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:59 PM

My doc says I have something called perennial rhinitis, which he says is quite common in the area I live in and noone knows why. I actually came down with symptoms about 9 years after moving to the area, though. It actually occured after I mistakenly mistook some foot deoderant for being Febreeze, and deoderised my bed of any possible foot odours. For the next week that mattress gave me a faint headache/dizziness when lying on it, but then it passed. About two weeks after that was when the symptoms first emerged: fat amounts of phelgm caking the back of my throat and clogging my sinuses, every time I woke up. I would spend several hours in the morning snorting and spitting! These days though it's not quite as bad as that, and it's gone after about half an hour. I since changed the mattress and symptoms persisted, and I've even slept over at a different house for several weeks with no difference.

That was over two years ago that it began. When the doc looked in my ears he said he could see the mucus buildup. He prescribed a nasal spray, I can't recall the name of it now, but it cut the mucus down by about 50%. After finishing that bottle and needlessly dawdling I went and got another supply of the same stuff, but it barely had any affect.

I consume NAC for various reasons, but it doesn't do anything to the mucus. I would have thought the NAC would actually have to come in contact with the mucus to dissolve it, though, I don't understand how ingesting it could help?

Anyway, my question is if there are any supplements or non-prescription drugs that might help with this problem.

#2 caruga

• Topic Starter
  • 514 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:08 AM

Goddamnit, that's the second post in a row I put in the wrong forum. Please could someone move it to where it belongs (the parent subforum)?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 kikai93

• 244 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:22 AM

Goddamnit, that's the second post in a row I put in the wrong forum. Please could someone move it to where it belongs (the parent subforum)?

I dunno where it belongs, but hydration + phenylepinephrine or hydration + 600mg NAC bid both did the trick for my mucus issues. *shrug*

#4 caruga

• Topic Starter
  • 514 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:25 AM

But was the mucus in your sinuses?

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:02 AM

Automatic message

This topic has been moved from "Bioscience, Health & Nutrition -> Supplements -> Nootropics" to "Bioscience, Health & Nutrition -> Bioscience -> Medicine & Diseases".

#6 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:57 AM

Caruga, this seemed to fit best in medicine & diseases, so I put it there; hope that's ok.

Perennial rhinitis is kind of a bogus catch-all diagnosis. It's usually caused by infection or allergy, and those two can get intertwined in that allergy predisposes you to infection. The initial exposure to whatever it was you sprayed your mattress with may have irritated your mucous membranes, and at some point you might have picked up an infection. I would find an allergist and get an exam and a skin test for common allergens. If you have an allergy, you might need allergy shots. If you have an infection, you might need antibiotics, and since it will have had a long time to get established, it will probably take a lot of antibiotic over a long time period to get rid of it, if it is in fact an infection. If you aren't infected, then you would probably benefit from a nasal steroid like Veramyst. There isn't anything that dissolves mucus. Mucinex, a time-release form of guaifenesin, helps to loosen mucus. I find that hot beverages help, as does heat in general. Be sure to stay well hydrated. Whatever you have going on, it's not normal and you should get it sorted out.

#7 InVeritate

• 60 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:16 AM

Have you tried nasal irrigation? It might at least provide relief in the short term.

Edited by InVeritate, 23 March 2011 - 02:16 AM.

• Informative x 1

#8 Lufega

• 1,810 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:46 AM

For Mucus, Mullein works, hands down. I have a COPD like illness and get mucus buildup. NAC didn't do anything for me after months of use. I take 3 capsules of mullein a couple times a day and the mucus just dissolves. It vanishes. It's so wonderful. Oh, and I dont have to dose it everyday. It tends to keep it under control for days after.

#9 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:08 AM

Have you tried nasal irrigation? It might at least provide relief in the short term.

Yeah, nasal irrigation with a neti pot worked really well for my sinus issues.
I find that adding salt works really well.
Adding some Magnesium Chloride occasionally is pretty good for inflammation too.

#10 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:24 AM

For Mucus, Mullein works, hands down. I have a COPD like illness and get mucus buildup. NAC didn't do anything for me after months of use. I take 3 capsules of mullein a couple times a day and the mucus just dissolves. It vanishes. It's so wonderful. Oh, and I dont have to dose it everyday. It tends to keep it under control for days after.

You think this would work generally, like in the case of infection? What product do you use?

#11 Lufega

• 1,810 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:52 PM

You think this would work generally, like in the case of infection? What product do you use?

You mean to treat biofilms? Hmmm, it's a possibility. I was desperate and didn't want to wait for and Iherb order so I went to the vitaminshoppe and purchased the Solaray label. They all should work the same. Really, though, this stuff just dissolves the mucus. I don't even have to cough/spit it out.

#12 drus

• 278 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:32 PM

Caruga, you have an allergic form of rhinitis, the kind that will likely occur intermittently throughout the year. have you tried any antihistamines, or a systemic steroid such as prednisone? if you can get some, mahuang helps in small doses as well (8mg - 10mg, 2 - 3 times/day) but is difficult to obtain in the US, pseudoephedrine works well too but you'll likely need a prescription for that. talk to your physician about some of these remedies, and in the mean time try nasal irrigation with a powerful saline solution followed by blowing your nose intensely and thoroughly. you are likely allergic to something or several things in or around the area where you live. start a vitamin-c regimen (1500mg - 2000mg /day), and stay hydrated. good luck.

#13 Lufega

• 1,810 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:05 PM

In this study, they use Mullein to treat Tuberculosis with a high rate of success. Mycobacterium are known for forming strong biofilms that are difficult to treat. So you may be onto something with this, Niner.

Edited by Lufega, 24 March 2011 - 07:06 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#14 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:17 AM

You mean to treat biofilms? Hmmm, it's a possibility. I was desperate and didn't want to wait for and Iherb order so I went to the vitaminshoppe and purchased the Solaray label. They all should work the same. Really, though, this stuff just dissolves the mucus. I don't even have to cough/spit it out.

No, I wasn't thinking about biofilms, I was just thinking about a typical bacterial pneumonia. The mucus is most of the problem there; the lungs can just get horribly clogged to the point of failure. If mullein could mobilize mucus in that kind of case, that would really be remarkable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users