• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

NYC Meetings For Immortalists + Transhumanist

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 randolfe

• 439 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:43 PM

NYC Meeting For Immortalists + Transhumanist
Feb 5, 2005 @ 4 PM - New York, NY

Virgin Megastore (cafe)
Union Square 52 East 14th Street
New York, NY 10003
212-598-4666 x300

Posted Image Posted Image

Driving Directions:
http://www.virginmeg...ms=7#directions

NYTA Meetup Group
http://transhumanism.meetup.com/14/

Discussion of Event:
-----
Four of the twelve people who attended the ImmInst Plainville, CT conference came from areas in or close to NYC.

I would like to urge members who might be interested in setting up such a meeting (or meetings on a regular basis) to contact me or any other member in the NYC area so we can develop a "contact list".

Perhaps, some of you know of other members (even just one other member) near you. I suspect NYC has an advantage as a venue. However, we might find other areas also have enough interested people to get similar interactions going.

#2 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2004 - 08:08 PM

Hey Randy,

Yes, I remember our discussions on this matter.

Some questions that come to mind

1. Are there enough people to get something like this going?

2. Would you invision having the meetings set up like the NYTA, or differently?

3. Do you think maybe a quarterly (instead of monthly) meetings schedule sounds good/realistic?

#3 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 06:58 PM

I just became a member recently and I haven't gotten a chance to really explore these forums yet, but I was actually hoping to find some people in the NYC area. If this gets set up, I would very much like to be involved.

I live in Queens and travel into Manhattan regularly.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 07:22 PM

I'll be in NY again for the film project, perhaps let's meet in NY:

Sat Feb 5 @ 4 PM

I'll contact NYTA to setup a possible joint event.

PS: I've moved this topic to the "Events" forum.

#5 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 07:31 PM

Dear Erik Aronesty,

Could the New York Transhumanist Assoc. Meetup be held Feb 5 @ 4 PM ?

as I'll be in NY to meet a group of ImmInst members:
more: http://www.imminst.o...ST&f=159&t=4850

ImmInst held a Dec 4 Plainville, CT meeting with 15+ members:
http://www.imminst.o...ST&f=159&t=4220

Bruce Klein
http://www.imminst.org/bjklein

#6 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 December 2004 - 07:54 PM

That sounds like a plan BJ!

It seems to me that we have a significant concentration of Immortalists up here in the NorthEast, so I am completely in favor of supporting a regional Immortalist meet up.

As I have said previously, I think that quarterly meetings might be a good starting point since arranging a convergence of individuals in the real world is actually quite difficult.

I would also be in favor of orchestrating co-sponsored ImmInst-WTA events in the area.

-------------------------------------------------
And Malchiah, Project for a New Amercian Century...you don't say. ;) I can assure you that we would have a great deal to talk about. ;))

#7 stormheller

• 100 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 09:07 PM

I'm gonna be there!

#8 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 04:57 PM

Erik Aronesty wrote:

"Yes, I'll modify the date, and let people know you'll be coming."

#9 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 21 December 2004 - 05:08 PM

This is the day after my daughter's birthday and when she expects a party with her friends. I may not be able to attend as I have no one else to care for her right now.

I will try however and see what I can develop as an alternative. Any chance of a com/vid link over the internet?

It would be neat to set up such a thing using standard software out there now.

Edited by Lazarus Long, 25 January 2005 - 05:51 PM.

#10 ddhewitt

• 168 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 06:35 PM

I will try to make it.

Duane

#11 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 05:38 PM

NYC Meeting For Immortalists + Transhumanist
Feb 5, 2005 @ 4 PM - New York, NY

Virgin Megastore (cafe)
Union Square 52 East 14th Street
New York, NY 10003
212-598-4666 x300

Posted Image Posted Image

Driving Directions:
http://www.virginmeg...ms=7#directions

#12 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 05:53 PM

It looks close to the 14th Street Union Square 7th Avenue IRT subway stop too. [lol]

I don't remember without a map all the connections but this is real easy to reach from a number of different buses and subway routes for anybody coming in on the Path Line from New Jersey or like me through Grand Central Station.

Though there was a fire yesterday that has thrown some havoc into NYC subway schedules.

#13 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 03:50 PM

I wish I could come, the problem is I live across the seas from the meeting (Israel)... [hmm]
Oh well, and don't forget the fact that unfortunately I am only 14 ( [wis] almost).
Oh and well I am a basic member too... (which is also because of the annoying fact I am only 14)!
Damn, I am so young... [cry] I don't feel just 14, I feel much more mature, but I am subjugated to my real age...

Yours
~Infernity

#14 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 January 2005 - 06:25 PM

Infernity, be thankful for your youth. It gives you a higher probability of survival. [thumb]

#15 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 07:49 PM

Well yeah, maybe you right Don (like everything have negatives and positives, I know... ), but still, most of the people treat me as a 14 years-old teenager which I don't feel like (and definitely don't act like!)! I am TOTALY different of my friends; Anyway, my parents are very caring parents, heh, sometimes it looks like too much (maybe I just wasn't a parent so I can't possibly understand. who knows)...
Although I am thankful for finding ImmInst, for understanding the futile in life which are about to end (for as long as I can remember myself :)) ), for all you guys, for the wisdom I acquired (And I shall NEVER stop, especially after I found ImmInst, at least I don't plan to), for the great chances for immortality and the preservation of my very own self and only [lol] , for myself being optimistic... [sfty] and for few more great things that happend to me...... [bl:)] ..
Yeah, but thanks Don for the encouragement I guess [sweat] .

Yours truthfully
~Infernity

Edited by infernity, 10 March 2005 - 01:08 PM.

#16 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 03:00 PM

Bruce, will you put here the protocol of the meeting tomorrow that unfortunately I won't enjoy?

Yours
~Infernity

#17 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 03:48 PM

Sure, Infernity... I'll post a followup.

#18 SiliconAnimation

• 83 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 04:52 PM

Is full membership required to attend?

If not, are there any other requirements?

#19 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 06:01 PM

Is full membership required to attend?

Not that I've heard.

If not, are there any other requirements?

Be there or be squared?

Or cubed, or any other polyhedral logic configuration that floats your boat moving you through time and space to the designated coordinates. ;))

#20 randolfe

• Topic Starter
  • 439 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 08:45 PM

Anyone who is interested will be welcomed. I am sure of that. I doubt the event will be very large. That usually makes it both more fun and more personal.

I don't remember the details of how the WTA meetings were organized. However, I have participated in a few discussion groups the past few months. I have been impressed in how they were organized.

At the beginning, going in a circle, each person gives his name and the things which interest him/her. A person can also simply "pass" and say nothing if they choose.

What is interesting with this technique is that "topics" for discussion arise. A good moderator says something like: "Four topics for discussion have been suggested. I will read these off, one by one, and ask those here who would find that topic interesting to raise their hand. The topic that gets the most hands raised will be the one we will begin with. Then we will proceed to the next most popular topic, etc."

This method appears to produce better discussions than one WTA meeting format where one person gave a talk or presentation and a discussion followed.

One thing that I believe would be very useful would be for everyone to be encouraged to share their names and contact information with each other and for a beginning "mailing list" to be kept of those attending. Of course, some people may not want to share such information for whatever reason so everything should be voluntary.

While, I'm suggesting this particular format for our meeting, I actually haven't really thought about what I might say or suggest as a topic we might want to explore.

I hope that all full members of Imminst and WTA are aware of this meeting. I'm not sure if we have members physical addresses organized by states or countries. It would be a great help if we had such information. Emailing everyone who bothers to post in our forums(in an area like NYC) would be a great way to further involve them in Imminst.

#21 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 February 2005 - 04:36 PM

I hope to see everyone there! ;)

#22 thanatos

• 19 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 01:47 AM

I live only about an hours drive away from NYC but im probobly too young to go to one of these events...

#23 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 04:22 AM

Thanatos, in my opinion- you did a very big mistake by no going there! if I wouldn't live across the seas I would probably come!

~Infernity

#24 randolfe

• Topic Starter
  • 439 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 07:25 AM

Infernity is quite right. Brilliance and curiosity is not defined by age. I never even thought of Infernity's age. Her posts were simply interesting. I was quite surprised to discover that she was as young as she was.

There were between twelve and fourteen people attending the meeting at the Virgin Cafe on Union Square in NYC.

Most of them were from the Immortality Institute. Bruce klein showed up just as we were all disbanding. He had been caught in traffic. We all stayed an extra hour or two.

Everyone was intensely involved in exchanging ideas. Electricity was in the air. This meeting was the most exciting event I've had since the weekend conference at Plainville, Connecticut.

Even after disbanding, I ended up going with a group of four to a Chinese restaurant where we discussed an incredibly wide range of issues for several hours.

The exchange was so electric and exciting, even after Midnight, the four of us found ourselves standing on a street corner saying "goodbye" several times over almost unwilling to end the dialogue which had been so fascinating.

Your presence would have made the event even more exciting. There will be meetings soon for the World Transhumanist Association in both NYC and also in central or North New jersey.

Many of those attending will be members of Imminst. Imminst is the real engine fueling this new movement at this time. Perhaps we will soon have separate (open to all) Imminst meetings.

Don't worry about age, gender, social status, etc. The Transhumanists and the Immortalists are just different branches on the same tree of enlightment. We are the "breaking wave" of the future. Do come and see for yourself.

#25 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 12:08 PM

Infernity is quite right.  Brilliance and curiosity is not defined by age.  I never even thought of Infernity's age.  Her posts were simply interesting.  I was quite surprised to discover that she was as young as she was.

Thank you Randolfe ;) .
You guys have no clue how much I wanted to be present in that meeting! Thanatos, I just don't get you, really! I mean one hour and you didn't go there? [:o]
I would fly there from Israel, if had the measures of course...
Glad you guys enjoyed, too bad I wasn't there to enjoy with you.

Yours truthfully
~Infernity

#26 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 07:14 PM

Well, Infernity, there are a number of ImmInst members from Israel. Perhaps you can get together sometime. There is at least one that I know of in Haifa, though that is a bit far from Eilat I'm afraid. And never stop looking... Eventually, you may find friends that are interested in the same things you are. (Though the tendency is for them to be a little older, which might make your parents nervous.)

I like Randolfe's idea that we map out where our members are located. If we knew X number of members live in NYC, X number live in Israel, etc. it may help us organize meetings in the future.

I found the meeting yesterday to be very interesting. I wish I had more time to get to know Bruce and Don Spanton, but those who I spoke with were fascinating people. I didn't even realize that it was past midnite when we parted.

So Bruce, next time you come to New York, maybe you can stay a little longer. There are a number of people here that would love to spend time with you. Let us to take you out to dinner and give you a place to sleep other than your car.

#27 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 07:24 PM

Joel, why should loving caring parents such as mine let me meet all of you just like that? I was very lucky my parents knew inarchunite a little bit before I found in him the bright, they were very worried in first, they still, but they have calmed down, heh I suppose they are acting like parents, or as Elrond said to me in private, as good parents.
Moreover, I would like to meet YOU GUYS from the USA!

~Infernity

Edited by infernity, 10 March 2005 - 01:12 PM.

#28 randolfe

• Topic Starter
  • 439 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 08:08 PM

Infernity, I can understand why anyone, especially parents, would worry about you meeting people via the Internet. Socially speaking, it is like America's old Wild West.

Many people assume identities that have no relation to their real self. The teenage brother of a young woman who worked for me got a big kick out of going into chat rooms, pretending to be a girl, and having other guys hit on him. He was just having fun as a young heterosexual male pulling the leg of his would be suitors.

I've met some people who have become my dearest friends on the Internet. I think it is best to stay away from chat rooms and pursue your interests (like you are doing here at Imminst).

One of my dearest friends met her current husband (they've been together for ten years now) through the Internet. Actually, they have kept that fact a secret from her family because they know the family would disapprove. The family thinks she met him while working at Bombay & Co.

Malchiah, when I described all the driving and hard work Bruce did making this film I hope I didn't imply he slept in the car. I did tell you about a student I knew in college who was so poor he slept in his car while working his way through college.

Bruce is warmly hosted by Imminst members wherever he goes or he gets a motel room. Last night he was headed for Pittsburg. That's quite a distance from NYC and he has a list of scheduled appointments to keep.

I just noticed that your avatar, part of which is an eye in a triangle floating over a pyramid, was/is the symbol I have used for 33 years as my corporate logo. I've been told it represents monotheism.

As a businessman, I liked the idea it was called "The Eye of God" and was on the American one-dollar bill. As a devote/slave/servant of Mammon, the one God whose power cannot be denied, I thought it the perfect symbol for my business enterprise.

#29 ddhewitt

• 168 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 08:12 PM

I like Randolfe's ideas for activism.

We can have a picket that reads "Choose Life! Support Stem Cell Research!"

Duane

#30 randolfe

• Topic Starter
  • 439 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 09:34 PM

Your suggestion of the slogan: "Choose Life! Support Stem Cell Research!" is really great.

Those who oppose embryonic stem cell research might embrace the slogan: "Choose Life! Stop Stem Cell Research!"

With your suggested slogan we challenge their "monoply" on defining themselves as the people who are really "pro-life". I'm sure they will be very upset to see us using one of their catch phrases.

We should brainstorm and find six or ten good ideas for placards. I have a good supply of those white 20 by 30 inch boards which could be used to make signs. A good artist or graphics artist would be needed to do the layout and/or design. Then you could enlarge that layout into 4 or 6 13X17 inch sheets which, when overlayed on one another and glued to the 20X30 boards, creates a full sign.

Nothing facilitates a quick "zap" somewhere better than having slogan placards done and ready to go.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users