Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Supplements for Bone Healing

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JD.

• 26 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:58 PM

Hey guys, longtime lurker of imminst here making my first topic.

Anyways, three weeks ago I fractured my left pinky knuckle (boxer's fracture) when I slammed my hand into the pavement (long story, physical labor job :/). I wanted to get better and out of the cast as soon as possible so I did some research (especially on this forum) and went to a naturopathic doctor for supplement suggestions. I created a regimen that I've been following for the last two weeks e sand which I believe has helped me heal at an accelerated rate.

Basically, the doctor who splinted me said I would be in a cast for 4 weeks. Two weeks in, I had more xrays done and the doc said the splint was only optional for the next week because of my progress. Now, three weeks in, I'm out of the cast and having trouble noticing that I broke my hand at all.

Here's what I did. All this was taken in addition to a multi-v

Vitamin C: 2-3g twice a day (Vitamin C is essential for collagen production, which is necessary for creation of the connective tissue that later ossifies into bone)

Calcium: 1g twice a day
Magnesium: 500mg twice a day
Zinc: 50mg twice a day
Vitamin D: 10mcg twice a day
(All important minerals for tissue repair and healing, I would argue calcium and vitamin D are most important)

MSM: 1g-2g twice a day (Another factor in collagen production, also has anti-inflammatory properties)

Boswellia: 300-600mg a day (powerful anti-inflammatory herb. I swear I could see this work; before I got my supplements, my whole hand was swollen like a water balloon. After taking a high dose of the MSM and boswellia for two days, the inflammation in parts of my hand other than the fracture itself went away completely.)

SAM-e: 200mg twice a day (This probably wasn't so necessary, I had some lying around and took it in thinking it would help any connective tissue and ligaments that were damaged heal up. Also to keep the mood up while I was handicapped :D

Other supplements that were recommended that I didn't try:
Glucosamine
Chondroitin
Comfrey

Well, I just wanted to share what I did and how well it worked for anyone else dealing with a broken bone. None of this is really new information but I think its good to get it all in one place. Cheers

#2 Robert C

• 155 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:17 PM

A very good friend of mine is a well known foot surgeon. He told me once that plenty of calcium and vitamine D are important to heal broken bones quickly. No big news there. I'm not sure about the others.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:31 AM

Don't forget vitamin K2. You'll also need extra trace minerals. Iherb sells some good stuff.
http://www.iherb.com/Bone-Formulas

Edited by 1kgcoffee, 05 June 2011 - 07:32 AM.

• like x 1

#4 Deckah

• 153 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:38 AM

Swanson sells a boron supplement with around 3 forms.

What forms of these supplements are you taking? Just curious. Would def opt for k2 (heard good things on mk4).

#5 JD.

• Topic Starter
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:07 PM

What forms of these supplements are you taking? Just curious. Would def opt for k2 (heard good things on mk4).

Forms? All these come in capsules or pressed pills. The calcium, vitamin D, magnesium and zinc comes in a single pill. The boswellia and MSM come together too and the vitamin C comes with extra cartoenoids and vitamin C relatives.

#6 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:55 AM

Forms? All these come in capsules or pressed pills. The calcium, vitamin D, magnesium and zinc comes in a single pill. The boswellia and MSM come together too and the vitamin C comes with extra cartoenoids and vitamin C relatives.

You'd be better off with the D in an oil-based formulation. (The kind found in a softgel capsule) The dry versions of D just aren't absorbed reliably. +1 on the K2. I use MK-7 (among other things) for osteopenia. It would also be worth taking a bioavailable form of silicon. BioSil and JarrowSil are two that I've used.

#7 mpe

• Guest, F@H
  • 275 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:06 AM

Bone creation and turnover are protien intensive tasks for the body.
Increase your protien intake over whatever you normally consume by 25 to 30% with
quality protein shakes or bars.

Take the other mentioned supplements too

#8 kenorb

• 62 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

I bought the combination of:
Bone Strength (NOW), Bone Strenght Take Care (NewChapter) and Optima (Formerly Kordels) Calcium Bone Formula High Strength.
Hopefully it's a great combination for bone healing.
In addition I'm taking C60OO and PQQ, but I don't see any good results.

Anybody knows any hi-tech supplements for Bone Healing (aka Fracture Putty)?

Edited by kenorb, 28 February 2013 - 07:22 PM.

#9 Strelok

• 370 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

For bones, my priority would would be vitamins D and K2 (MK4 and MK7), magnesium and boron. So it looks like K2 and boron (3-10mg) are the two missing from the OP.

#10 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:55 AM

http://www.ergo-log.com/bones.html

Less fat and stronger bones with mix of vitamin D, quercetin, resveratrol and genistein 13.11.2012
Korean herbal supplement HT042 makes bones longer 26.09.2012
Prunes boost IGF-1 levels in humans 24.06.2012
Broken bones heal quicker with milk thistle 05.06.2012
Weight loss through exercise is better for your bones than dieting 29.05.2012
Animal study shows that rutin supplement is anti-catabolic in bone tissue 08.03.2012
Eat citrus fruit for strong bones 04.03.2012
Tea drinkers have stronger bones 25.02.2012
Animal study: combination of two foods plus supplement restores bone strength 18.02.2012
High-protein intake not harmful for bodybuilders' bones 21.12.2011
Cissus quadrangularis helps bone cells make more IGF-1 14.12.2011
Animal study: olive oil strengthens bones 07.12.2011
The anabolic effect of Cissus quadrangularis 24.11.2011
Animal study: resveratrol keeps astronauts' muscles and bones strong 24.09.2011
Pycnogenol keeps your bones strong 22.09.2011
Protein diet not bad for bones 14.04.2010
Ecdysterone repairs cartilage in joints 22.03.2010
Creatine makes bones stronger 15.03.2010
Two glasses of soya milk a day maintains bone mass 04.02.2010
Soya supplement doesn't make bones stronger 02.02.2010
Strength training keeps women in better shape than HRT 15.01.2010
Three strength training sessions a week keep bones strong without medication 13.01.2010
Fifty milligrams of DHEA a day has anabolic effect in women 13.07.2009
Animal study: ginkgo strengthens bones 07.10.2008
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#11 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 January 2022 - 11:37 AM

Be careful with vitamin C and magnesium overdosing as they can make your bones softer. Funny thing about broken bones is doctors can tell how a bone broke.

• Ill informed x 1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users