• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Can ashwagandha cause a dull, unmotivated, emotionless feeling?

ashwagandha

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chziime

• 52 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:59 PM

Piracetam definitely causes this in me, and I think Ashwagandha, working somewhat similarly, may do the same. I take it in Bioforge V3, a t-booster supplement that's GREAT, but the Sensoril I think gives me that effect. Did anyone else respond to Ashwagandha like this, and also why would this happen, logically? Thanks!

#2 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:15 AM

When I took Ashwaganda, I was in a stupor, intoxicated and sluggish. It effected me like a drug. I took it alone. It had no good effects on me. I took it back to Whole Foods and got my money back. That's the good thing about them, they have a liberal return policy so you can try new supplements without wasting money. If they don't work for you, just take 'em back. I don't know why this substance can work that way, but I know that each person is a biochemical individual. Something may effect the majority one way but what really matters is how it works for you. It's always a good idea to listen to your body.

Edited by Luminosity, 03 September 2011 - 02:15 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Mr Serendipity

• 980 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:56 PM

In addition to my usual supplements, I started taking ashwaganda and selegiline. I got the exact same unmotivated, anhedonia, didn't want to do anything type symptoms. Because of this I discontinued both, and my motivation to do things started to come back.

I must had taken ashwaganda for a week or two, while selegiline I only took once (1 day).

However ever since my short experiment with ashwaganda and selegiline, my concentration, short term memory, and thinking have been impaired terribly. I can't think very clearly, and sort of drifting through reality without concentration.

Did you notice any problems after stopping ashwaganda usage?

#4 moomoo

• 73 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:46 PM

Did anyone else respond to Ashwagandha like this, and also why would this happen, logically? Thanks!

Yes. Me. I stopped taking it within a week of starting.

DMAE = emotional dulling (rebound the day after is a nice uplift though but not worth the dull day)

Ashwagandha = dulling, complete emotional nothingness and little motivation

My current regime is: Gotu Kola, Lion's Mane, Fish Oil, Cordyceps, and Brewer's Yeast. During work-days I take 800mg Piracetam and 4.5mg Hydergine. It works for me.

Edited by moomoo, 05 September 2011 - 07:49 PM.

#5 chziime

• Topic Starter
  • 52 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:53 PM

Interesting, moomoo, interesting... Would you mind giving a quick run-down of what each of those in your main regime does for you?

I am not sure if I still felt bad after discontinuing ashwagandha... I just stopped taking it and realized I felt better. My brain and [lack] of emotions is all over the place so I can't really tell!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 moomoo

• 73 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:14 PM

Interesting, moomoo, interesting... Would you mind giving a quick run-down of what each of those in your main regime does for you?

Chziime

Rather than each one for a specific action for me it's more of a holistic thing (although the word makes me gag). I don't see the collection as a "stack", more of a regime. I'm looking to feel better, think better and have more energy.

The fish oil, lion's mane and brewer's yeast I use to stimulate NGF and keep my brain learning/growing. I feel the Gotu Kola helps me with motivation and energy and the Cordyceps helps my immune system be happy.

I also take Ginseng, a general multivitamin and make sure I'm getting enough choline (I generally have one raw egg a day as well as normal meals). I've ordered some Bacopa to try that out.

I see a lot of obsession on these boards with "300 mg of X means I need to take 143mcg of Y, but then only 75mg of Z" and perhaps it's a young-person thing to obsess over that. I don't think that it matters that much unless you're taking pharmaceuticals, the long discussion around dosing Methylene Blue makes perfect sense for example, but for supplements of the "health" type (rather than pharmaceutical type) I'm just better off taking simple, general doses and seeing what works.

I've used Deprenyl in the past and found it interesting, but as mentioned before I found DMAE (and Centroxophine) and Ashwangandha both "dulling" and made me emotionally flat.

Piracetam and Hydergine are definitely worth trying and they're the ones that got me into the whole nootropic thing 20 years ago.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ashwagandha

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users