chewing gum

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 raptor2003

• 12 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:59 AM

anybody know of a brand that uses only xylitol as sweetener

so far found most have xylitol + stevia etc

why the fark they want to mix 2 sweeteners in a gum?

can't be bothered with the sugar alcohols and substitute

I prefer xylitol

#2 raptor2003

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:09 AM

this looks nice

Xlear Inc (Xclear), Spry, Peppermint Gum, Sugar Free, 600 Pieces, 22.85 oz (648 g) - iHerb.com

feedback anyone?

#3 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:06 AM

Having chewed Zapp and Spry, the reason most xylitol gums have aspartame or another sweetener is that the xylitol seems to dissolve out within 5 minutes of chewing. Your options are to spit the gum out very quickly after first chewing it (which is best for your TMJ health anyway), chew it without flavor, or chew a gum with an adjunct sweetener like my current favorite - Icebreakers Ice Cubes which contain I think close to 2g of xylitol per piece.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Mia K.

• 176 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:05 PM

Hi raptor2003,

Three(3) I know of:

Xylichew http://www.iherb.com...-Pcs/17659?at=0 (Also available from Amazon.com);

Spry, as mentioned;

and Zellies https://www.zelliesc...metopintro.aspx

I use (have for a couple of years) Zellies Complete Mouth Care System, and am very pleased with the results (as are my dentist and hygienist). It involves the use of a specific paste and rinses, along w/regular exposure to xylitol throughout the day. I learned of the System from "krillin" here in this forum.

Best,
Mia

#5 yoyo

• 582 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:50 AM

I like Epic Xylitol gum. I liked that they listed the grams of xylitol per piece of gum to two decimals too.

I don't know if the flavor doesn't last long, i usually only chew for about 10 minutes or so to freshen breath.

Edited by yoyo, 07 October 2011 - 12:52 AM.

#6 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:24 AM

I have been chewing Spry Xylitol gum for quite a while. You can order it online in bulk pretty cheaply. You can get 5 ~100 piece jars for ~25$, but the pieces are pretty small, so i normally chew 2-3 at a time. I don't have any difficulty chewing them for ~1 hour. The sweetness fades but not that badly. (I'm not sure how much xylitol is left in my mouth after an hour, probably not much. So while it might be ineffective after sometime, its not unpleasurable)

#7 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:17 AM

Spry spearmint is good. I still usually chew it a bit, swish the xylitol around in my mouth and then spit before continuing to chew for a while. Swallowing too much xylitol still gives me the poopers so I try to minimize it with that strategy. Still wondering if chewing a miswak might be better though...gonna give that a try this year...

#8 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:45 PM

Spry spearmint is good. I still usually chew it a bit, swish the xylitol around in my mouth and then spit before continuing to chew for a while. Swallowing too much xylitol still gives me the poopers so I try to minimize it with that strategy. Still wondering if chewing a miswak might be better though...gonna give that a try this year...

They say that GI problems subside after regular use for a few weeks. (It subsided pretty quickly for me)

#9 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:47 PM

They say that GI problems subside after regular use for a few weeks. (It subsided pretty quickly for me)

#10 wowser

• 95 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

xylitol gives me wicked tummy cramps, even the chewing gum sets me off. i tried taking a really low dose and slowly increasing my dose over weeks but nothing made any difference. i think the whole thing about GI effects wearing off given enough time is bulls**t

Edited by wowser, 03 March 2012 - 09:40 AM.

#11 adamh

• 1,012 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:24 PM

Unless you crave chewing something, why not just take a small amount of xylitol every day? The way i use it is to dump a little in my mouth just before taking some vitamins. I take lots of supplements keeping them in pill caddies and the taste is not that great. Nothing horrible but just looking at the pills started to make me want to gag. So with 1/2 gm or so of xylitol in my mouth, i start out with a sweet taste, the pills go down almost unnoticed and i get the health benefits of xylitol at the same time. What was that song "a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down"?

#12 theconomist

• 314 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

I would not recomend xylitol only chewing gums after trying them for 1 month (went through 20, 30g packs, yes i have a chewing gum addiction). For several reasons:
1-taste, dissolves waay too quickly, the chewing gum is not enjoyable.
2-texture the texture is gooey which makes chewing much easier which might be unpleast for some and leads to the third issue
3-dry mouth, after about half an hour of chewing I seem to get a very dry mouth with both brands of xylitol only chewing gum I've tried which has also been reported by people I've given the gums too
4- taste palate numbing, a side effect of chewing xylitol often is that your taste palates really go numb and you can't taste food anymore for several hours up to a whole day after chewing for an hour or two

All in all I would not go back to xylitol, I prefer subjecting myself to some aspartame than the horror I've been through this past month with xylitol gums :p

#13 daouda

• 469 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:59 PM

I don't know what brand you've been using but your experience has nothing to do with mine.
My favorite (taste, texture, and size of each piece) are by far those by these guys (B-fresh) http://www.iherb.com/B-Fresh (I only have tasted the cinnamon and cool spearmint, the latter especially is the best tasting spearmint gum i've ever tasted)
Theconomist, try them and I'm sure you'll change your mind.

#14 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:15 AM

I buy the big spry packs at iHerb and yes they lose taste rather quickly but who cares? Take another one if you have to

Will give B-Fresh a shot, thanks. edit: I really do not like the fact that they put B12 in there...

Edited by nupi, 29 April 2013 - 11:16 AM.

#15 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

100% Xylitol straight from the source: http://www.leaf.fi/p...-professional-1

#16 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

I would not recomend xylitol only chewing gums after trying them for 1 month (went through 20, 30g packs, yes i have a chewing gum addiction). For several reasons:
2-texture the texture is gooey which makes chewing much easier which might be unpleast for some and leads to the third issue
3-dry mouth, after about half an hour of chewing I seem to get a very dry mouth with both brands of xylitol only chewing gum I've tried which has also been reported by people I've given the gums too
4- taste palate numbing, a side effect of chewing xylitol often is that your taste palates really go numb and you can't taste food anymore for several hours up to a whole day after chewing for an hour or two

All in all I would not go back to xylitol, I prefer subjecting myself to some aspartame than the horror I've been through this past month with xylitol gums :p

5 minutes of chewing is enough, according to the studies.

Edited by platypus, 29 April 2013 - 01:01 PM.

#17 theconomist

• 314 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:59 PM

5 minutes of chewing is enough, according to the studies.

I chew due to my oral fixation.

#18 autopilot

• 29 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:25 AM

For those in UK i found this to be best value for money.
http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
My only problem is that i am left only with bland gum too soon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users