Effects from different sources of Uridine

uridine

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:59 PM

Questions to some of you that are getting great effects from Uridine:
1) Have you tried nutrional yeast as a source of uridine?

I'm trying brewer's yeast, but am not getting the noticable results others are getting wtih straight uridine (even after a month of what should be 1g of uridine). Could there be some bioavailability issue or maybe I just don't respond to it like others do?

#2 Propoxy

• 102 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:09 PM

how many mg of yeast are you taking?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:21 AM

I'm taking 30 grams of nutrional (brewers) yeast a day.

#4 Propoxy

• 102 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:06 AM

I'm taking 30 grams of nutrional (brewers) yeast a day.

I don't know maybe more choline/dha if your doing that combo or look for pure uridine sources

#5 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:15 AM

I think some people (probably the ones who are most enthusiastic about the substance) are taking uridine along with something like alpha GPC, which can have strong nootropic effects on its own. I think the people who find this to be a subjectively noticeable nootropic are probably a small minority.

#6 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:14 AM

Well, I can say after a week of 250-300 mg dissolved under the tongue twice a day has made me a believer. Enough so that I bought a certain vender's complete stock so as to not run out and to also get some family members started. And no, it's not placebo. I had so wanted Methylene Blue to work and no matter what dose I tried, it made me feel horrible. I just could not understand what people were getting out of that horrible stuff. But uridine is giving me clear headed mental energy all day....which I felt lacking for a long time. In fact, normally I would be exhausted and in bed at least an hour ago....but I'm still going strong....and my work output has gone up. I feel mentally 10 years younger...all in the last few days...and just hope this lasts...forever. chrono...what is your huge beef with uridine? Have you even tried it? Probably just as well....more for me and my family. :)

edit: and uridine is the only thing I've added to my regimen...nothing else.. :)

double edit: and I've tried all the racetams...and noopept...with great hopes...and they were all worthless garbage...chrono, that's what you should get on your soap box about... :)

triple edit: and to the OP...I've supplemented with a tbsp or 2 of brewers yeast every single day for years for the nutritional benefits...and I can guarantee that brewers yeast doesn't have the same effect...at least not compared to the 300mg of uridine under the tongue I've been experiencing.

Edited by Hebbeh, 22 November 2011 - 06:35 AM.

• like x 1

#7 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:57 AM

Does it seem like I have some huge beef with uridine? I'll probably give it a try sometime soon, though the questions about interaction with nucleotide pools will probably mean I'll be comfortable with other options in the long-term.

I'm glad it works great for you, but you're maybe the second or third person I've seen who's said so. I try to cultivate a realistic understanding when I read about something, and I'm sorry if me not being carried away with enthusiasm is ruining anyone's opinion of this unfairly. But I don't see why my comment in this thread should raise any eyebrows. Uridine is not a universal nootropic as far as I'm aware, however enthusiastic a few people might be about it.

I think some people (probably the ones who are most enthusiastic about the substance) are taking uridine along with something like alpha GPC, which can have strong nootropic effects on its own. I think the people who find this to be a subjectively noticeable nootropic are probably a small minority.

Just to clarify, I didn't mean to imply that it's not capable of producing any nootropic effect. If nothing else, it can be converted to CDP-choline in the brain, and it has an effect on dopamine as well (and perhaps others). It's hard to say if neurogenesis should really 'feel' like anything, but it probably depends.

I was mostly going on the fact that it's been discussed here for several years, and there seem to be only a few people so far who have had much to say about the experience. Hopefully it's more effective with better products, or cosupplementation, and more reports of benefits will accumulate if more people take it.

As far as brewer's yeast goes, I think that the uridine (and the other nucleotides) is bound within peptide structures. But I'm not too sure of that, in advance of reading a few full studies. This could either mean that the peptide in question is easily cleaved away in the stomach or plasma (as many peptides are), or that it remains bound and doesn't act the same as free uridine.

Wikipedia suggests it's 3% uridine content, so 30g should be giving you about 1g uridine.

Edited by chrono, 22 November 2011 - 09:42 AM.

• like x 1

#8 JChief

• 636 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:12 AM

double edit: and I've tried all the racetams...and noopept...with great hopes...and they were all worthless garbage...

*sigh* :P I find that impossible.

Edited by JChief, 22 November 2011 - 11:13 AM.

#9 JChief

• 636 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:13 AM

I'm trying brewer's yeast, but am not getting the noticable results others are getting wtih straight uridine (even after a month of what should be 1g of uridine). Could there be some bioavailability issue or maybe I just don't respond to it like others do?

The idea was to combine uridine with DHA. You taking any DHA/EPA supplements?

#10 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:59 PM

I got brewers yeast, cdp choline, fish oil (dha/epa) and max strength Dha on its on. I can't find an optimum ratio. 30 g uridine sounds alot to consume.

#11 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:12 PM

The idea was to combine uridine with DHA. You taking any DHA/EPA supplements?

I should have mentioned this. Yes, I take it at the same time as 6grams of fish oil super concentrate (4g of omega 3's).

#12 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:17 PM

As far as brewer's yeast goes, I think that the uridine (and the other nucleotides) is bound within peptide structures. But I'm not too sure of that, in advance of reading a few full studies. This could either mean that the peptide in question is easily cleaved away in the stomach or plasma (as many peptides are), or that it remains bound and doesn't act the same as free uridine.

Wikipedia suggests it's 3% uridine content, so 30g should be giving you about 1g uridine.

Can something be easily done to cleave away the peptides before ingestion? We know beer increases plasma urdine content in vivo. Is there something about the alcohol makes the urdine more bioavailable?

#13 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:07 AM

Can something be easily done to cleave away the peptides before ingestion? We know beer increases plasma urdine content in vivo. Is there something about the alcohol makes the urdine more bioavailable?

Good question. No idea. Someone was suggesting that as a possibility for liver absorption of BHT in Hep-C sufferers a few years ago - the guy was downing his BHT with beer and apparently had success. <chuckle> :)

Why not try 25mg of TAU instead of yeast? $20 for a 2 month supply, shipped.
http://www.bayho.com/p/846192.html

#14 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:12 AM

MrHappy: Swanson has TAU for less, including shpping.

#15 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:30 AM

Yeah, it's pretty hard to predict how all peptides will behave in the body. When I was looking around yesterday I didn't see any papers which measured if brewer's yeast could raise plasma uridine levels, so I'm not sure if we could get any closer to an answer. But this surmise is based on the snippets of full articles that show up in a google scholar search. Maybe after I go the the library I can find out a better answer.

Edited by chrono, 23 November 2011 - 01:32 AM.

#16 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:47 AM

Maybe after I go the the library I can find out a better answer.

That would be awesome. If it is not conclusive, I can try an order of uridine supplement and see if I notice any super-amazing changes :)

#17 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:16 AM

$12.95, plus shipping. Nice!
  • like x 1

#18 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:29 AM

That's cheaper than my mass buy and I use Swansons all the time!!! Missed it! BTW...Swansons has been running a 10% off special in a banner on this site...and has been advertising 99 cent shipping for this Friday (day after Thanksgiving...Black Friday)!!!

#19 JChief

• 636 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:01 AM

That's cheaper than my mass buy and I use Swansons all the time!!! Missed it! BTW...Swansons has been running a 10% off special in a banner on this site...and has been advertising 99 cent shipping for this Friday (day after Thanksgiving...Black Friday)!!!

Thanks for the info rwac! I'm on it! And Hebbeh don't you dare steal it all before I can this time!! :-D

Edited by JChief, 23 November 2011 - 06:02 AM.

#20 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:07 PM

This one right?

http://www.swansonvi...R011/ItemDetail

#21 JChief

• 636 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:15 PM

This one right?

Yup! Grabbed me some too a bit ago ;)

#22 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:21 PM

This one right?

Right. I also have fish oil at home (500dha, 800 epa) and CDP choline. I'm good to go now right?

#23 JChief

• 636 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:36 PM

This one right?

Right. I also have fish oil at home (500dha, 800 epa) and CDP choline. I'm good to go now right?

RIGHT.

#24 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:42 PM

MrHappy, you are taking 250mg a day which would make this product last 6 days??? Or are you taking 25mg a day?

#25 JChief

• 636 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:52 PM

MrHappy, you are taking 250mg a day which would make this product last 6 days??? Or are you taking 25mg a day?

Although I'm not Mr Happy I do know that he is taking the UMP form of uridine which comes in 300mg capsules but I think he has a powder perhaps? Either way it's UMP. The 25mg version is a more bioavailable form called TAU so much less is needed.

Edited by JChief, 23 November 2011 - 05:52 PM.

#26 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:53 PM

Although I'm not Mr Happy I do know that he is taking the UMP form of uridine which comes in 300mg capsules but I think he has a powder perhaps? Either way it's UMP. The 25mg version is a more bioavailable form called TAU so much less is needed.

I see, so with the improved bioavailability all you need is 25mg? If so that is a pretty good deal.

#27 JChief

• 636 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:33 PM

I see, so with the improved bioavailability all you need is 25mg? If so that is a pretty good deal.

Yeah that's why I went that direction. I will start with 25mg. 50mg will be the max although I'd hope I wouldn't even need to go that route. Keep it cheap as possible. Because every little thing adds up! $15 here $30 there. You know how it goes ;)

#28 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:10 PM

Thanks. Spot on. :)

Kind of off-topic, but a good observation about another part of my daily regime -

The alpha-gpc in my stack has also been very interesting for other reasons.

My muscle/fat ratio has been changing noticeably. My stomach fat has been shrinking, but my overall weight had been gradually increasing - muscle mass being the reason. Was curious about that, I have done seriously nothing but sitting on my backside for months. You know how much I've been on here - add all the other research time to that, plus work and Reddit. I've been sedentary. No exercise at all. Did some further reading a few weeks ago.

Turned out HgH levels are increased by a-gpc. I picked up my weights last night for the first time in 4 months and found that my last settings were seriously underweight now, when previously they were just right for a decent workout. I would have expected the opposite after my lack of any exercise.

I found that my recovery time was much, much shorter, too. I think if I got back into regular exercise it would probably increase this overall effect even further. My pursuits are normally biased towards the cerebral side of life these days, so we'll see. :)
  • Informative x 1

#29 JChief

• 636 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:09 AM

Thanks. Spot on. :)

Kind of off-topic, but a good observation about another part of my daily regime -

The alpha-gpc in my stack has also been very interesting for other reasons.

My muscle/fat ratio has been changing noticeably. My stomach fat has been shrinking, but my overall weight had been gradually increasing - muscle mass being the reason. Was curious about that, I have done seriously nothing but sitting on my backside for months. You know how much I've been on here - add all the other research time to that, plus work and Reddit. I've been sedentary. No exercise at all. Did some further reading a few weeks ago.

Turned out HgH levels are increased by a-gpc. I picked up my weights last night for the first time in 4 months and found that my last settings were seriously underweight now, when previously they were just right for a decent workout. I would have expected the opposite after my lack of any exercise.

I found that my recovery time was much, much shorter, too. I think if I got back into regular exercise it would probably increase this overall effect even further. My pursuits are normally biased towards the cerebral side of life these days, so we'll see. :)

I read that Alpha GPC will increase the GH release after exercise. If someone shortened it to mean that it "supports GH release" then that's great. I know one of the pharm companies were excited to patent AlphaSize variety and marketed toward athletes. I didn't spend enough time trying to separate hype from reality. Perhaps that would be perfect for a new thread if someone was willing to do the research.

Do you take your uridine sublingually? If so how does it taste?

Edited by JChief, 24 November 2011 - 07:10 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:13 AM

It's interesting that it has had such a significant effect without exercise. I mean, the most exercise I've had until last night was walking up stairs or possibly marriage related. :) Maybe stress can also trigger release? I've had plenty of that, not that it's been effecting me very much these days..

I might try a week of solid exercise for comparison. :p

I haven't tried sublingual doses, yet. I don't think there is any taste to speak of, though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: uridine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users