• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Magnesium

magnesium vimmortal 2.0

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Magnesium (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Magnesium?

1. Yes (13 votes [86.67%])

Percentage of vote: 86.67%

2. No (2 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

Vote

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:42 PM

Magnesium

#2 absent minded

• 99 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

Wouldn't this mineral be better off being in a completely different stack? Aren't calcium and magnesium the two minerals that take up the most space in mineral tablets?

Not to mention, there are too many different kinds to choose from :|o

#3 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:32 PM

I didn't vote yet on this one, as I'm undecided.

Normally I'd vote to include it, as a lot of people may be a bit low in magnesium.

But to get a decent dose in any multi (unless using oxide), it's going to take up a ton of space. It also happens to be pretty cheap if purchased separately. So it may be worth considering simply dropping it, or finding a more compact form (if one exists), if it makes sense from a cost analysis perspective. If you could reduce the full dosage from 6 to 4 pills with a significant cost savings by removing mag, using smaller amount, or using other form, I think that may make more sense.

#4 hbar

• 75 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:52 PM

I agree - magnesium is something that ideally should be in Vimmortal, but I think the choice is ultimately going to have to come down to either using mag oxide (and even that might not do it) or leaving it out entirely. Vimmortal simply has too many pills in a full dose, it should be a maximum of 3 pills. I know the mag glycinate alone added an entire cap on its own, so that just needs to go. I don't even know if it'd be possible to include mag oxide at an appropriate level while still keeping the number of caps down. If it had to be something low like 50 or 100mg in a full dose, I'd say just leave it out.

What's the current word on mag bioavailability? I know oxide is supposed to be bad, but are there any recent/good studies comparing some of the more popular forms? I'd be interested to know what the percent bioavailability difference is between glycinate and oxide.

#5 treonsverdery

• 1,312 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:29 PM

a kind of nifty "adaptogenic" vitamin would have some chemical that naturally upregulates the recycling of metals giving the body the ability to reuse more, wasting less, thus requiring less

http://www.plantphys...l</span></span> talks about plants yet the idea of

upregulate metalloprotein assembly pathways

basically suggests chemicals that conserve metals at the body, possibly some brave researcher could make a pill where just a third of the usual required metals could permit living, as long as the metalloprotein assembly pathways were upregulated.

an imminst vitamin that did that would have a sexy new approach to fulfilling the body's requirements.

here is what bing says about possible physiosystems that reuse metals http://www.bing.com/...hways&src=ie9tr
  • like x 1

#6 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:01 PM

I say we let people buy separate magnesium supplements or drink coconut water.

#7 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:08 PM

I say we let people buy separate magnesium supplements or drink coconut water.

That is always a possibility, but I tend to lean toward including common essential vitamins and minerals. That way Vimmortal can be viewed as comprehensive. Perhaps we can put a bit smaller dose of magnesium in Vimmortal 2.0. Also, remember that many people take partial doses of Vimmortal, so they don't get 100% RDA most of the time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: magnesium, vimmortal 2.0

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users