• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Do you want to get into advocacy of indefinite life extension more?

informing persuading fence sitters skeptics getting through to people convince of life extension

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Poll: indefinite life extension advocacy poll (2 member(s) have cast votes)

Which concept do you think is most effective when working on informing people about the cause?

1. Crash Course on How and Why People Change Their Minds (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. When to inform, when to debate (1 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. Ask them (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Know the basics of influence (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Realize that some people have coached themselves to accept death (1 votes [14.29%])

6. Make sure you use the right terminology (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Don't ask for money (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Use strong reasoning and evidence (1 votes [14.29%])

9. Use appeals to authority and success (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Open up doors for getting involved (1 votes [14.29%])

11. Know the FAQs (1 votes [14.29%])

12. Use crowd mentality to your advantage (0 votes [0.00%])

13. Help stack credible sources (1 votes [14.29%])

14. Avoid trolls (0 votes [0.00%])

15. Try the Socratic method (0 votes [0.00%])

16. Use the "used to, found, sure you would agree" formula (0 votes [0.00%])

17. Get back-up support where you can (1 votes [14.29%])

18. Carry literature (0 votes [0.00%])

19. Tell them about the organizations that seem best fitted to them (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:56 AM

If you want to get into advocacy for indefinite life extension a bit more then lets keep a discussion on it moving in this topic here. Why do you want to get into advocacy for indefinite life extension?

Let us also create a list of top 5 advocacy concepts for people to digest here, and then we'll post it when we have enough votes. The current "Guide to getting through to fence sitters, skeptics, the uninformed and the pro aging trancists" can be a bit daunting and hard to digest to newcomers and others.

The poll choices are between the ways to get through to people that are listed here: http://www.longecity...the-uninformed/
  • like x 1

#2 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:58 PM

If you want to get into advocacy for indefinite life extension a bit more then lets keep a discussion on it moving in this topic here. Why do you want to get into advocacy for indefinite life extension?

Let us also create a list of top 5 advocacy concepts for people to digest here, and then we'll post it when we have enough votes. The current "Guide to getting through to fence sitters, skeptics, the uninformed and the pro aging trancists" can be a bit daunting and hard to digest to newcomers and others.

The poll choices are between the ways to get through to people that are listed here: http://www.longecity...the-uninformed/

The only way I think you can properly advocate life extension is to become a scientist and help with the research. Telling non scientific people about this cause is just pointless in my opinion as most people don't have the in built intelligence or foresight to be able to see how important this cause is. And even among scientific people there are many just don't realize how important this cause is when you tell them about it.

I am actually doing something and I am going to university in september and I hope to intern at an aging research lab or something.

If you are going to try to persuade people to join this cause it would be a much better use of time to convince as many young budding scientists in universities all over the world to make their career based on aging research.

The more scientists there are working on the cure to aging the more legitimate this cause will be in the eyes of average non scientific people.

Longecity could have scholarship funds. Longecity could help advertise the SENS acedemic initiative. What do you think of these ideas Brokenportal?

Edited by The Immortalist, 26 August 2012 - 09:00 PM.

• Agree x 1

#3 Droplet

• Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:47 PM

True that science is the most useful weapon in the war on aging but surely public support and advocacy could also mean more funding and quicker progress? After all, me and the majority don't know all there is to know about cancer or Alzheimer's yet finding cures still gets a lot of public support and donations towards such research.

Edited by Droplet, 27 August 2012 - 02:48 PM.

• like x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 ledgf

• 40 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:32 PM

No, just try to get people to attack disease by resetting the aging clock. There is no "indefinite life" until you have software backups on multiple solar systems anyway ;)

...and even then, you're still inside the Simulation. Trying to compete with theology is irrelevant and stupid... there is no theological component to life extension. That idea alone has held back, e.g., cyronics more than anything else... people don't want to frighten their tribal gods. 

Bizarre but true, we're semi-evolved apes that developed theology-based cities for ceremonies before we had agriculture ;)

#5 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 21 April 2018 - 04:47 AM

I would love to become a scientist and support research but unfortunately I am dying. Every time I try to save a life or educate someone they don't understand
I wish the movement every success. I hope you save your lives

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: informing, persuading, fence sitters, skeptics, getting through to people, convince of life extension

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users