- - - - -

Astaxanthin - side effects ?

astaxanthin arthritis

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 snowbell

• 85 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:30 PM

Can anyone share if they've noticed any side effects from taking Astaxanthin ? I wanted to get it for my mother who has arthritis and have read that it can help with the inflammation and pain. However, I have also read some reviews that it can increase the pain in some cases and increase blood pressure if you are on hypertension meds. Any thoughts would be helpful !

#2 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

Has she first tried fish oil (reasonable dose) + getting vitamin D levels normalized (35-40ish)?

I'd be a bit wary of large doses of astaxanthin, as I'm not fond of megadosing things. From a dietary standpoint, I don't think any population group gets more than 2 mg/daily -- and even for that amount, you'd have to eat a serving or two of certain species of salmon daily. I'm also not sure if that dose would have much of an effect on arthritis, even assuming astaxanthin helps at all.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 snowbell

• Topic Starter
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

She doesn't take fish oils. She takes vitamin D 2000 IU daily. The last we checked her vitamin D, it was 29 I think. So, still a little low. She takes glucosamine and that helps her a little - 1500 mg daily. I am also thinking of getting flax oil for her. Any thoughts on that ? Thanks !

#4 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

Flax may be okay, although some here feel it is too high in Omega 6. A little fish oil may be better, unless her belly dislikes fish oil. I tried flax seed and oil a while ago myself, and found both worse than fish oil as far as taste and stomach-friendliness goes. ALA will convert to EPA (and a little DHA), but it will vary on person and other omega intake.

If her D levels don't get to at least 35, she can consider upping that dose of D a little bit.

I'm not so good with recommending things for arthritis, as I have had joint pain myself and tried several things... very few did much of anything at all. If it's real bad, as in so bad she's thinking of a cox medication, she could look into prescription Limbrel or something similar. It is probably the lesser of two evils.

There are other things that supposedly help, such as New Chapter's Zyflamend. But I can't comment on its safety or efficacy. But I know from trying several samples, that it's not exactly stomach friendly.

#5 hyper_ventriloquism

• 60 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:14 PM

There are other things that supposedly help, such as New Chapter's Zyflamend. But I can't comment on its safety or efficacy. But I know from trying several samples, that it's not exactly stomach friendly.

It's a fantastic supplement for addressing inflammation issues from my experience.

I concur though, it isn't stomach friendly. The package insert states that you should only take one soft-gel per day with a large meal and a full glass of water for the first 2 weeks. After that you bump it up to one soft-gel twice a day, both with a meal and a full glass of water. (wonder if it's the oregano that's upsetting?)

It works wonders from my experience, but yeah, no idea about long-term safety.

#6 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

I've found it to work great for the skin in sunny weather.

#7 anagram

• 339 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:44 AM

more energy, seriously.
  • like x 2

#8 noot_in_the_sky

• 287 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:51 PM

She doesn't take fish oils. She takes vitamin D 2000 IU daily. The last we checked her vitamin D, it was 29 I think. So, still a little low. She takes glucosamine and that helps her a little - 1500 mg daily. I am also thinking of getting flax oil for her. Any thoughts on that ? Thanks !

I will second the flax seed oil as a source of Omega 3; flax seeds also have a compound that will behave like estrogen in her body which can be very helpful for her age and join pain.

Have you thought of adding MSM it is much more cheaper than glucosamine. Chia seeds are also a good source of omega 3.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

I will second the flax seed oil as a source of Omega 3; flax seeds also have a compound that will behave like estrogen in her body which can be very helpful for her age and join pain.

Have you thought of adding MSM it is much more cheaper than glucosamine. Chia seeds are
also a good source of omega 3.

The ALA in flax has to be converted by the body into omega 3, something that is not done efficiently. Actual EPA / DHA from fish oil is the best source. I agree with the MSM recommendation, I would add a quality form of vitamin C, buffered ascorbate.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astaxanthin, arthritis

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)