- - - - -

Omega 3 DHA and EPA ratios in large doses

omega 3 dha epa

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Phiaq

• 33 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:19 AM

So I've been using omega 3 supplements from Xtend-Life with each capsule containing 300mg DHA and 130mg EPA. I can't post any links but you can find it on google.

Is this a good ratio for really large doses? I'm planning to build up to 10g of fish oil daily.

P.s. My goal is to have better brain health, less depression, more thinking power, and so on...

Edited by x74x61, 11 May 2012 - 07:30 AM.

#2 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:18 AM

It is thought that you should have more EPA than DHA for mood improvements. Having said that, I never truly noticed anything even from 2g EPA / 1g DHA per day

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Phiaq

• Topic Starter
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

It is thought that you should have more EPA than DHA for mood improvements. Having said that, I never truly noticed anything even from 2g EPA / 1g DHA per day

I've slowly dosed up to 3,5g now with the ratios described, and I notice small differences like not jumping to negative conclusions.

#4 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:17 PM

Is this a good ratio for really large doses? I'm planning to build up to 10g of fish oil daily.

P.s. My goal is to have better brain health, less depression, more thinking power, and so on...

10g daily? Why?

If otherwise healthy, don't go over 1g of EPA/DHA daily. 500mg or less probably would be even better.
  • like x 1

#5 Phiaq

• Topic Starter
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

10g daily? Why?

If otherwise healthy, don't go over 1g of EPA/DHA daily. 500mg or less probably would be even better.

When I look around this forum, I get the sense that 1g is sufficient, while large doses are nootropic.

Like I said, I've been naively taking 1g/day for years without any effects, until I upped my dose and really started to feel something. Amazing. My dreams are more vivid, I'm less afraid of people, I've become a more talkative and confident person. Now all I need is some piracetam which is hard to get in my country.

#6 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:13 PM

When I look around this forum, I get the sense that 1g is sufficient, while large doses are nootropic.

Like I said, I've been naively taking 1g/day for years without any effects, until I upped my dose and really started to feel something. Amazing. My dreams are more vivid, I'm less afraid of people, I've become a more talkative and confident person. Now all I need is some piracetam which is hard to get in my country.

If it's really doing that for you, then I guess that's hard to argue with. You should just be aware that high dose fish oil harms your long term health. Maybe you could stack it with fullerenes. It's kind of ironic that you're from Amsterdam, but piracetam is hard to get...

#7 Phiaq

• Topic Starter
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:22 PM

If it's really doing that for you, then I guess that's hard to argue with. You should just be aware that high dose fish oil harms your long term health. Maybe you could stack it with fullerenes. It's kind of ironic that you're from Amsterdam, but piracetam is hard to get...

You mean because of heavy metals or is something else at play? I always thought that fish oil = goodness.

Piracetam is a prescription drug here, and even worse, doctors have no idea what it is and will rarely prescribe it. No other legal way to get it.

#8 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:29 PM

If you haven't tried varying epa/dha ratios before, I suggest trying 1g of EPA, without any DHA. There are studies showing approx. 1 g of EPA helping mood. If you have been taking a high DHA ratio previously, that possibly could be why you didn't feel anything.

1g of EPA sounds more reasonable than 10g total.

If you had been taking high EPA previously, with no benefits, just try to take as much as necessary to get whatever benefits you want. You may be fine with 2-3g, rather than 10g.

High does of fish oil = oxidation and possible immune suppression.
  • like x 1

#9 Phiaq

• Topic Starter
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:25 AM

@nameless

You're right: In the past, I was taking 1g of fish oil with high DHA content. Right now I take 2,4g of DHA and 1g of EPA, still high DHA, but the EPA has reached your suggested dose.

So you're saying that all my positive effects are thanks to the EPA and not DHA?

If that's true, then what about larger doses of EPA without overdoing it, say 2 to 4 grams.

Edited by x74x61, 13 May 2012 - 06:31 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

I can't say what dose is helping, nor if the ratio is ideal, but studies done with fish oil and mood showed that EPA was the primary factor that helped (for most people). 1g EPA was found to be the sweet spot, with higher doses not necessarily more effective. So basically you want 1g of EPA by itself, or a fish oil with a very high EPA to DHA ratio.

Again, just going by studies, 2-4 g of EPA won't be any more effective than 1g of EPA. There are a couple of brands that are EPA only (although they tend to be expensive), and several with high EPA/DHA ratios. Alternatively you could try a regular 180 EPA/120 DHA fish oil, and see if that's good enough.

Edited by nameless, 13 May 2012 - 04:36 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: omega 3, dha, epa

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users