- - - - -

Vitamin D - Joint pain ?

vitamin d

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 snowbell

• 85 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:28 PM

Just wondering if anyone encountered any joint/ muscle pain when supplementing with vitamin D ? My Vitamin D levels were low about a year ago. I started on 1000 IU daily on my doctor's advice. My levels rose up to 36 from 25 in about 4-5 months. I got them checked again in Feb this year and it was down to 32. I guess I need to keep taking it but I feel my fatigue gets worst when on it and my joints hurt. I have mentioned this to my doctor but she doesn't think it's due to vitamin D.

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:49 PM

I've never heard anyone complain of this. What exact vitamin D product are you using? You might do better with a different one. 32 in the dead of winter is pretty good. If you really think the D is causing joint pain & fatigue, I'd just drop it if nothing else works.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 snowbell

• Topic Starter
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:51 AM

I have tried the NOW brand and then switched to Source Naturals. It is 1000 IU of D3.

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:01 AM

Same problem with both? The NOW brand is a softgel (oil-based), right? Is the Source Naturals version a dry tablet? Some people have problems with fillers.

#5 snowbell

• Topic Starter
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:07 AM

Yes, NOW brand is a softgel and Source Natural is a tablet. I feel ok for 2-3 days and then my joints start aching. I leave it for a couple of days and then start again.

#6 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:48 AM

If you don't take it for a couple days, you feel better? Maybe you should try a couple weeks or a month off, then try it. D should be taken in the morning because of chronobiological effects. A lot of people around here use NOW. It's more bioavailable than dry forms.

#7 snowbell

• Topic Starter
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:52 AM

I start taking it again after a couple of days because I have been suffering from chronic fatigue for a while and don't want low vitamin D contributing to it. My fatigue was the main reason for going to the doctor when they found me deficient in D.

#8 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:04 AM

I start taking it again after a couple of days because I have been suffering from chronic fatigue for a while and don't want low vitamin D contributing to it. My fatigue was the main reason for going to the doctor when they found me deficient in D.

Vitamin D levels change very slowly, so instead of waiting only a few days, why don't you wait a few weeks and see what happens. Does your fatigue get worse if you don't take it? If so, how long does it take to get worse?

#9 snowbell

• Topic Starter
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:32 AM

The last time I left it for a week my fatigue got worst. Maybe it's time for me to get it checked again since it's been 5 months.

#10 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:28 AM

Things your body doesn't break down and process well can deposit in your joints, causing pain. You didn't say the brand, type or dosage, or form of the supplement. I would give that info. I take Source Naturals D3 it's something like 2,000 i.u. a day. It is not a soft gel, it's the other type of gel cap. I like that. I would avoid NOW supplements. I always take the D3 with a meal with fat or oil in it. You would have a hard time absorbing that form of it otherwise.

Avoiding cold food and drinks will help your digestion, according to Chinese Medicine. Starting the day with a hot drink and a hot breakfast will help even more. Let fruit and salads come up to room temperature before eating them, if you can.

#11 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:37 AM

You can try to dissolve the pill in water and than take that. It might me more absorbable. But only take the best vitamins in the first place, too. I have no idea how it will taste or what will happen, but it's worth a try.

#12 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:40 AM

Oh, you did give the information. Sorry! Try the regular gel cap Source Naturals D3. There are fewer inactive ingredients. If is causing pain, try dissolving in it a little water. You can also try taking half as much twice as often as long as there is fat or oil in the meal.

#13 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:36 PM

You can try to dissolve the pill in water and than take that. It might me more absorbable. But only take the best vitamins in the first place, too. I have no idea how it will taste or what will happen, but it's worth a try.

Most of the components of the pill are not water soluble, so I doubt this will work.

Snowbell, how about trying some sunbathing as a way to get more vitamin D? Because the doses of supplemental D you're using are so small, and your levels are remaining so constant, I'm really having a hard time buying that D is the cause of both problems. Maybe one or the other, but not both. You weren't really deficient when you started this whole thing; 25ng/ml is not that low. If you were less than 10, that would be deficient. The highest level you measured wasn't that high either. I think the vitamin D is a red herring here.

#14 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:54 PM

Just wondering if anyone encountered any joint/ muscle pain when supplementing with vitamin D ? My Vitamin D levels were low about a year ago. I started on 1000 IU daily on my doctor's advice. My levels rose up to 36 from 25 in about 4-5 months. I got them checked again in Feb this year and it was down to 32. I guess I need to keep taking it but I feel my fatigue gets worst when on it and my joints hurt. I have mentioned this to my doctor but she doesn't think it's due to vitamin D.

You aren't taking resveratrol, are you? That's a sneaky one--the joint pains might appear after you've been taking it for years.

#15 snowbell

• Topic Starter
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

I am glad you mentioned it. I am not taking resveratrol but I do take grape seed extract. I was taking 200 mg everyday and reduced it to100 mg. Does it have the similar properties as resveratrol ?

#16 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:24 PM

It's been ages since I looked at grape seed, so may be wrong, but isn't it a bit of an aramotose inhibitor? If so, they have been known to cause joint pain (I think).

I doubt it's the Vit D causing your joint issues. Your D3 levels really haven't changed that much overall. It could also be a coincidence with any supplement you are taking, and whatever is causing your fatigue is also causing the joint pain, and it just happens to be getting a little worse right now.

Perhaps drop the grapeseed for a while, see if that makes a difference?

Edited by nameless, 07 June 2012 - 04:25 PM.

#17 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:55 PM

I get increased back pain from vitamin D supplements.

If you are above 20 ng/ml, you are not deficient. Above 30 ng/ml there are signals in the research that your risk of cancer and cardiovascular disease starts to increase. Notable are increased risks for pancreatic and prostate cancer. Pancreatic cancer will kill you dead fast no matter what other measures you may have taken to increase longevity and health.

I am already at 30 ng/ml, and I take only 800 IU daily in a multi and don't get much sun.

Read the recent Institute of Medicine vitamin D report, which is freely available online. It is a recent meta-analysis of more than 1000 available research papers on vitamin D, so it is pretty much the state of the art of our current knowledge.

Quoted from the report:

Based on available data, almost all individuals get sufficient vitamin D when their blood levels are at or above 20 nanograms per milliliter as it is measured in America, or 50 nanomoles per liter as measured in Canada.

a pooled analysis of large cohort studies suggests an association for increased risk of pancreatic cancer with serum 25OHD levels greater than 100 nmol/L [U.S. units 40 ng/ml] that is not consistently seen in analyses of individual large cohorts.

Regarding prostate cancer, Tuohimaa et al. (2004) found a higher risk of prostate cancer for those with serum 25OHD levels above 80 nmol/L [U.S. units 32 ng/ml]. The subjects were 67 men, mostly from Norway. Although another study from Finland (Tuohimaa et al., 2004) also found an association between serum 25OHD levels and prostate cancer at levels above 80 nmol/L, a study conducted by Faupel-Badger et al. (2007) also in Finland did not find a relationship

Analysis of fully adjusted data indicated an inverse relationship between CVD mortality and baseline serum 25OHD level of 50.0 to 74.9 nmol/L. Risk began to increase at approximately 75 nmol/L [U.S. units 30 ng/ml] and then it declined after 100 nmol/L.

Edited by viveutvivas, 07 June 2012 - 09:03 PM.

• like x 1

#18 snowbell

• Topic Starter
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:16 AM

I get increased back pain from vitamin D supplements.

If you are above 20 ng/ml, you are not deficient. Above 30 ng/ml there are signals in the research that your risk of cancer and cardiovascular disease starts to increase. Notable are increased risks for pancreatic and prostate cancer. Pancreatic cancer will kill you dead fast no matter what other measures you may have taken to increase longevity and health.

I am already at 30 ng/ml, and I take only 800 IU daily in a multi and don't get much sun.

Read the recent Institute of Medicine vitamin D report, which is freely available online. It is a recent meta-analysis of more than 1000 available research papers on vitamin D, so it is pretty much the state of the art of our current knowledge.

Quoted from the report:

I feel more pain particularly in my back as well. However, I do feel pain in my knees as well and some tension in my head.

#19 snowbell

• Topic Starter
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:20 AM

It's been ages since I looked at grape seed, so may be wrong, but isn't it a bit of an aramotose inhibitor? If so, they have been known to cause joint pain (I think).

I doubt it's the Vit D causing your joint issues. Your D3 levels really haven't changed that much overall. It could also be a coincidence with any supplement you are taking, and whatever is causing your fatigue is also causing the joint pain, and it just happens to be getting a little worse right now.

Perhaps drop the grapeseed for a while, see if that makes a difference?

I think it is an aramatose inhibitoraramotose inhibitor. I had read somewhere but I am not quite what they are. I was mainly taking it for skin anti aging benefits and also that it can reduce the risk of cancer. I can drop it for a bit and see if it makes a difference. I do think it's vitamin D though. I took some a while ago since I was tired the whole day. It gives me some energy right away but also some tension in the joints. Almost like a stimulant. However, there are some days when it makes me sleepy.

#20 idquest

• 56 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

How do you know you have joint (read bone/cartilage) pain rather than muscular pain? Because most often back pain is just a muscle knots; and knee pain often results from leg muscles pulling bones and knee cup into wrong directions.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#21 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:22 PM

I do think it's vitamin D though. I took some a while ago since I was tired the whole day. It gives me some energy right away but also some tension in the joints. Almost like a stimulant. However, there are some days when it makes me sleepy.

Snowbell, this is a pretty good sign that you are attributing effects to vitamin D that have other causes. You should drop the GTE for a while, but I think it's time to step back and look at the bigger picture:

Exactly what drugs and supplements do you take, including dose.

How much exercise do you get?

What is your diet like?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vitamin d

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users