- - - - -

Adaptogen: Holy Basil

holy basil adaptogen stress cortisol

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tlm884

• 597 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:38 PM

I don't handle stress well at all. Despite my cortisol levels being within healthy ranges I know mentally I don't do well with stress. I have tried previous adaptogens in the past but to be fair I probably did not give them a fair chance. I came across research showing that holy basil can lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure, lower blood glucose, and help with stress. However, I haven't found much about holy basil on the forum or all that many studies on it. I have strated taking 1 gram BID standardized to 2% ursolic acid.

Has anyone taken holy basil or have any thoughts on it? Anything would be appreciated.

#2 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:25 PM

Is it a diuretic? I have been taking ginseng and astragalus for a while. Both excellent adaptogens that have helped me with stress.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 tlm884

• Topic Starter
  • 597 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:32 PM

Some sites claim that it is a mild diuretic. I am already on HCTZ so I can't tell if it is making a difference water wise or not. I have tried ginseng in the past but the taste of the tablets make me sick and I can't find it in capsules anywhere.

#4 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:56 AM

Some sites claim that it is a mild diuretic. I am already on HCTZ so I can't tell if it is making a difference water wise or not. I have tried ginseng in the past but the taste of the tablets make me sick and I can't find it in capsules anywhere.

I stay away from diuretics as a rule, since I don't have any known water retention problems that might necessitate their use. Plus I think a healthy diet is already cleansing all things being equal. Have you ever tried swanson vitamins for those korean ginseng capsules? What about astragalus root? That's an excellent and cheap adaptogen also.

#5 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:40 AM

I tried a couple of preparations of Holy Basil, but it did nothing for me in terms of anxiety relief, AFAIK. YMMV.

#6 Galaxyshock

• 1,466 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:30 AM

I made tea from one teaspoon of Holy Basil powder. It has calming effect that is stronger than theanine, almost like a small dose of Phenibut. I also notice brightened mood and Holy Basil should also be anti-inflammatory. Good stuff.

#7 mike_nyc

• 46 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:39 AM

I like Holy Basil alot and have tried different forms and brands.  Currently I prefer the gaia gelcaps and I take them before bed.  I found that they help my sleep.  I discovered it is a sleep aid once when I was traveling internationally and had jet lag.  I took it in the middle of the day and couldn't resist the urge to sleep so since then moved it to before bed everyday.  

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 Galaxyshock

• 1,466 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 09:25 AM

I like Holy Basil alot and have tried different forms and brands.  Currently I prefer the gaia gelcaps and I take them before bed.  I found that they help my sleep.  I discovered it is a sleep aid once when I was traveling internationally and had jet lag.  I took it in the middle of the day and couldn't resist the urge to sleep so since then moved it to before bed everyday.  

Have you tried taking a huge dose? There's some discussion online that megadosing Holy Basil produces a psychedelic experience. Kinda curious to try it myself but then again don't wanna waste it as normal doses work for my primary purposes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: holy basil, adaptogen, stress, cortisol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users