Oil Pulling for gum/tooth health?

coconut oil gum tooth

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:57 AM

Id like to get some opinions on Oil Pulling (swishing oil for +- 20 mins then spitting it out):
http://www.jonbarron...strong-immunity
NB the references near the bottem.

I am going to try with coconut oil due to the bug killing Lauric acid (C12), Capric acid (C10) and Caprylic acid (C8) in it.
I may add a couple of drops of tea tree oil too.

Anyone tried this before?
  • like x 1

#2 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,212 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

The best way to prevent Your gums and teeth is to brush Your teeth reguralily and correctly. If You do that, You don't need oil. If You do not brush regurally and correctly Your teeth the oil, will not protect You.
  • dislike x 3
  • like x 2
  • Agree x 1

#3 Logic

• Topic Starter
  • 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

The best way to prevent Your gums and teeth is to brush Your teeth reguralily and correctly. If You do that, You don't need oil. If You do not brush regurally and correctly Your teeth the oil, will not protect You.

:-D
If you read the link provided you will know that this therapy is an adjunct to brushing.
The oil is supposed to get at packets of bacteria that may have formed between the teeth and gums that brushing does not get to.

The oil is also said to loosen tartar and whiten teeth.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19336860

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/18408265

http://academicjourn...Anand et al.pdf
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,212 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:19 AM

As I wrote before, If You do not brush regurally and correctly Your teeth the oil will not protect You, and if You brush Your teeth regralily and correctly You do not need olive oil. I know, that the firm policy of different firms tries to convince everybody, that the usage of the tooth brush, the tooth paste and the floss is not enough, and I also know, taht they are doing this by posting well fabricated researches in many magazines, however this is not true. If You do not believe me however, I am not stopping you to do whatever you like.
  • dislike x 4
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#5 Now

• 162 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

It has some benefits (according to Wikipedia): While scientific evidence is lacking to support any systemic benefits of oil pulling, some studies have suggested that it may reduce oral plaque, halitosis, and gingivitis.

I think I'm going to try this every other day when I don't use my regular (fluoride) mouthwash. If I spot sesame oil in the market, I will buy and try it.

Edited by Now, 27 July 2012 - 04:34 PM.

#6 Now

• 162 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:11 PM

I've found a bottle of organic sunflower oil, but most studies are done with sesame oil. Is sesame oil really superior to sunflower oil or can I expect the same benefits with sunflower oil?

#7 Logic

• Topic Starter
  • 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

I dont know Now.

I only have experience with coconut oil with a drop of tee tree oil added.
Its not pleasent initially, but supprisingly nice once the coconut oil melts and everything mixes!

#8 Now

• 162 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:17 AM

Thanks Logic!

I have tried it this morning, but I don't like it at all. I couldn't swish it properly because it was too thick, I guess I have to take more than just one tablespoon.

I was also wondering if it is really the oil that is beneficial. Maybe swishing with water for twenty minutes will give the same benefits? Does anyone know a study comparing swishing water with oil pulling?

#9 Logic

• Topic Starter
  • 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:47 AM

What oil are you using?

The coconut oil thins out nicely and is easy to pull through ones teeth/swish.
I use about a heaped teaspoon full.
  • like x 1

#10 beatha

• 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:14 PM

I was also wondering if it is really the oil that is beneficial. Maybe swishing with water for twenty minutes will give the same benefits? Does anyone know a study comparing swishing water with oil pulling?

Swishing with water might have some beneficial effects, but the stain removal some people experience is because the stains are from oil-soluble resins. Other effects may also be attributed specifically to the oil.

#11 Now

• 162 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

Coconut oil can combat tooth decay, study suggests.
Digested oil inhibits growth of streptococcus bacteria, Irish researchers find.

Edited by Now, 04 September 2012 - 08:36 AM.

#12 Logic

• Topic Starter
  • 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:23 AM

Shot for the link Now.

I have not been pulling with coconut oil daily (lazy) but did know about the anti viral, bacterial, fungal properties of Lauric Acid and the other MCTs in it. These made it a good choice for oil pulling.

http://coconutoil.co...esistant-germs/

http://www.naturepac...l-AIDS-HIV.html

#13 Logic

• Topic Starter
  • 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:45 AM

IAIT researchers show coconut oil could combat tooth decay:
http://www.ait.ie/ab...e-16107-en.html

I thin the mystery 'enzymes' mentioned is plan old saliva as I seem to recall reading that saliva changes Lauric Acid into Monolaurin?

#14 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:31 PM

IAIT researchers show coconut oil could combat tooth decay:
http://www.ait.ie/ab...e-16107-en.html

I thin the mystery 'enzymes' mentioned is plan old saliva as I seem to recall reading that saliva changes Lauric Acid into Monolaurin?

I agree with you: it is about having good saliva, a substance designed to look after our oral health.

I am sure that quality oils are good for the teeth--in fact, I have had good results stopping toothaches with a combination of crunching a CoQ10 capsule and a cod liver oil capsule around the affected area and taking an aspirin. However, the idea of routinely swilling oil round my mouth for twenty minutes grosses me out, and I doubt any evidence could persuade me to do it.

And anyway, I do not see why it would be necessary. Saliva normally contains all the right buffering and antibacterial elements to provide good oral hygiene. If one's diet is good, the only help it needs is some cleaning to remove lodged or adhering particles of food (that might prevent saliva from reaching all surfaces).

The trouble comes if one's diet is bad--in other words, if it contains a lot of sucrose--or if one does not clean one's teeth for too long. In that case, the quality of saliva is compromised by the presence of oral acidity. In my opinion, if one has an acid oral environment, a neutralising mouthwash every so often (such as dilute sodium bicarbonate) should do the trick just as well as a gobful of oil--and much less repulsively.

Edited by Gerrans, 19 February 2014 - 03:41 PM.

#15 Yeshe Rabsal

• 16 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:51 PM

I oil pull with sesame oil anywhere from once a day to once a week and I find that using a single tsp / 5 ml for 5-15 minutes is adequate and not unpleasant. I substitute the sesame oil with coconut oil during the summer and sometimes will add other oils, a few 10-50 drops of clove or tea tree oil to the 473 ml bottle of sesame oil. I do it mainly because my mouth feels subjectively fresher and moister during the days I pull though I have also noticed fewer skin blemishes I cannot be certain there is a connection.

I am also beginning a practice of building up saliva over a few minutes and then swishing it around my mouth for 5-10 minutes a few times a day.  

#16 Jeoshua

• 662 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:06 PM

I use coconut oil for oil pulling once a week. It works as a replacement for flossing. I haven't noticed any of the other crazy things, like improved skin or health, but I wasn't looking for that. It works great for stubborn stains and to get stuff deep under the gum line.
  • Informative x 1

#17 stasis

• 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:24 AM

I pull with a mixture of extra virgin coconut oil and some xylitol

#18 fntms

• 318 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:37 AM

I also pull several times a week with either olive or grapeseed oil (coconut oil is too expensive here, and I read that sesame has no special properties in itself). I think it helps with stains and my teeth feel cleaner. Before pulling I floss and after pulling for 20 minutes I brush my teeth.
  • Informative x 1

#19 redFishBlueFish

• 186 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:34 AM

I use coconut oil for oil pulling once a week. It works as a replacement for flossing. I haven't noticed any of the other crazy things, like improved skin or health, but I wasn't looking for that. It works great for stubborn stains and to get stuff deep under the gum line.

As background; I floss, brush with a vibrating toothbrush, brush and scrape my tongue(2 different tools), mouthwash if I know I will be out for 24 hours or longer, and check for plagues with my dentist toolkit(I am not a dentist). The only thing I am missing is a sprayer.

But anyway, this is probably the only reason I would oil pull. I've tried everything to remove the stains from when I smoked. I could scrape it out, but it seem to cling right back on after I tried getting rid of it. It would move then go right back in. 

I use to think the vibrating toothbrush was enough because it would get everything, even those corn kernels that get stuck. Even the last dentist visit I had, he had barely anything to scrape.But my mouth was still extremely dry and my breath wasn't the best. My gums were pink, I drank at least 1 gallon of water a day, and I brushed daily. I started flossing and I stopped getting dry mouth and my breath no longer smelled. There must be some really small bad bacteria sticking around in my gums without flossing.

We have tons of solid coconut oil at home for various uses, i'll have to try it to see if it helps with the stains.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coconut oil, gum, tooth

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users