* * * * * 1 votes

Negative Reaction to Uridine?

depression dysthymia choline apathy uridine omega 3

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Animal

• 689 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:24 AM

Has anyone had any negative reactions to uridine? From my limited research it seems people generally have either a positive response or a neutral one.

I ask because I've been taking UMP at ~250mg/day sublingual, along with omega 3's for three days so far; I'm not sure what to think of my experience. In terms of immediate effects I feel a mild increase in wakefulness, but nothing pronounced. I'm taking it primarily to improve mood, as I have a problem with anhedonia and dysthymia. The issue I've been having is that the last two days, for a few hours each day, I've been feeling listless and apathetic. This is totally unlike me, as even though I suffer with fatigue, I always keep myself busy and engaged.

An example is that on the second day, I came back from work and went to have a nap, as is typical for me at the moment. But even though I realised I didn't feel tired enough to sleep, I continued to lie there, I was hungry too and usually I would have prepared myself a meal at this time. But I didn't want to do anything except lie there doing nothing, it was a horrible experience. Eventually I forced myself to get up and make dinner, the feeling subsided later on that night.

I experienced the same thing on the third day to a lesser degree, where I just turned off the film I was watching and went to lie down, once again feeling listless. Normally I struggle to get to bed at the time I've set because I become too engrossed in something or have too much research I'd like to get done for the following work day. But in this circumstance I just didn't want to do anything and felt the only option left to me was to go to bed early.

I am now seriously considering just dropping it, even though I have over three months supply. I have other things that I'm interested in trying, and I really don't want to spend time trialling something that disrupts my otherwise very stable mood.

I'm curious as to what others think, as I have not come across anything indicating that uridine can be detrimental in this way. Is it cholinergic at all? Because my experience with anything cholinergic is almost exclusively a depressogenic one.

Edited by Animal, 26 July 2012 - 02:31 AM.

• like x 2

#2 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:49 AM

I am now seriously considering just dropping it, even though I have over three months supply. I have other things that I'm interested in trying, and I really don't want to spend time trialling something that disrupts my otherwise very stable mood.

I'm curious as to what others think, as I have not come across anything indicating that uridine can be detrimental in this way. Is it cholinergic at all? Because my experience with anything cholinergic is almost exclusively a depressogenic one.

My experience has only been positive but my suggestion would be to take a few days off and then try a smaller dose. Also, for me, sublingual has a markedly stronger effect....which is a help rather than hindrance for me...but perhaps not for you. I would consider not going the sublingual route and reducing dosage to maybe 100mg and use oral administration...and then depending on how that works, titrate the dosage and if all goes well, then possibly experimenting with smaller sublingual doses. 250mg sublingual has a strong (but positive) effect on me and may be too much for you.
  • Needs references x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:55 AM

Perhaps reduced dopamine activity is causing your apathy?

This study, though it uses also haloperidal, found that uridine "potentiat[ed] the reduction of the striatal DA transmission": http://www.ncbi.nlm....ubmed/20504471.

Edited by dasheenster, 26 July 2012 - 03:56 AM.

• like x 1

#4 NMDAstronaut

• 41 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:30 AM

I was not very impressed with the uridine dha regimen

uridine (simple Uridine 5 monophosphate) however does give me a little bit more clarity than Tri acetyl uridine - TAU didnt really do anything for me
  • like x 1

#5 lourdaud

• 516 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:56 AM

You don't suffer from ASD do you? IIRC there have been studies that have shown higher levels of uridine in autistic children or something.. Think there's a thread about it somewhere on the forum.

#6 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

Animal I'm curious to know: did you regularly take Fish Oil before uridine without the effect of listlessness?

#7 Cephalon

• 497 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

Since starting Uridine I noticed the skin on my fingers to peel of. While it was light on the second day it's really bad just one-two days later. Never had this happen. I'm really afraid my body used the Uridine as a false building block fir DNA producing nothing but junk? Really afraid this could cause cancer! Will drop Uridine imediatelly. The only change I did in my regime was the addition of Craze. Which could be the issue too, but Uridine would make more sence.

#8 Animal

• Topic Starter
  • 689 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:32 AM

This study, though it uses also haloperidal, found that uridine "potentiat[ed] the reduction of the striatal DA transmission": http://www.ncbi.nlm....ubmed/20504471.

Actually that could explain my reaction; I take 50mg of Amisulpride per day. This is a sub-clinical dosage when treating for psychosis, but I take it to exclusively antagonise the pre-synaptic inhibitory D2 and D3 subtype autoreceptors. In theory this facilitates increased phasic dopaminergic activity, and thus an antidepressant and anti-anhedonic effect. From my experience it has been highly effective in this role, although it by no means provides complete relief. I suspect this is why my reaction has been seemingly unique among uridine users; on this forum at least.

You don't suffer from ASD do you? IIRC there have been studies that have shown higher levels of uridine in autistic children or something.. Think there's a thread about it somewhere on the forum.

No, I have enough issues, but that is not one of them. ;)

Animal I'm curious to know: did you regularly take Fish Oil before uridine without the effect of listlessness?

Yeah, I've been taking it daily for about 3 years now.

#9 Cephalon

• 497 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

After stopping Uridine I feel alot better. I can not tell if it was just because of the anxiety I got from my skin falling off. But I would say I have a bit more energy too!
I'm under the impression, while Uridine gave me a subtile boost first, it left me drained over the past few days ... maybe a celling effect or something.
  • like x 1

#10 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:24 AM

While it is probably related to your other substance, I'd suggest trying a lower dose to be sure, eg. 150mg UMP, orally.

#11 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:52 AM

Actually that could explain my reaction; I take 50mg of Amisulpride per day. This is a sub-clinical dosage when treating for psychosis, but I take it to exclusively antagonise the pre-synaptic inhibitory D2 and D3 subtype autoreceptors. In theory this facilitates increased phasic dopaminergic activity, and thus an antidepressant and anti-anhedonic effect. From my experience it has been highly effective in this role, although it by no means provides complete relief. I suspect this is why my reaction has been seemingly unique among uridine users; on this forum at least.

No, I have enough issues, but that is not one of them. ;)

Yeah, I've been taking it daily for about 3 years now.

Have you noticed any tolerance issues to amisulpiride?

Also i beleive the GHB receptor explains the anti anhedonic effects of amisulpiride (differened ap's that also preferentially block the autoreceptors dont appear to be effective for dysthemia. Also the GHB receptor causes glutamate and dopamine release both with are involved in reward, this is what makes GHB rewarding, baclofen wich is selective for GABAB doesnt induce any reward.

Have you considered ritalin for your anhedonia? It doesnt show the toxiticy issues of releasing agents and actually shows neuroprotective activity, i tought funk made you interested in it a while ago but not sure what happened after that.

Either way good to see you back on the board.

#12 Cephalon

• 497 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:33 PM

Skin peeling stopped a few days after dropping Uridine. No changes to supplementation otherwise.

#13 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:44 PM

Skin peeling stopped a few days after dropping Uridine. No changes to supplementation otherwise.

Sounds like a classic allergic reaction.

Edit: It is possible that it could of been a reaction between uridine and something else in your regimen that exerbated it.

Edited by Hebbeh, 04 August 2012 - 04:46 PM.

• Needs references x 1

#14 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:21 PM

Sounds like a classic allergic reaction.

Edit: It is possible that it could of been a reaction between uridine and something else in your regimen that exerbated it.

The 5FU chemotherapy was the likely cause.

#15 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:07 PM

I currently take Uridine but find anything above 100mg makes me very cranky and depressed. But this small dose along with a fair bit of fish oil first thing in the morning does improve my mental state considerably. I am thinking that the major percentage of that improvement is probably down to the fish oil though (I take a fair whack of it, which I haven't really done before).

Above 100mg, or even if I dose another 100mg later in the day, Uridine turns into a Piracetam type substance making me speedy, cranky and depressed by just sitting down and being alone with my thoughts. I have noticed the only way to alleviate that undesirable state of mind has been to go for a long run or something.

Also I noticed Uridine didn't mix well at all with valdoxan, trivastal or deprenyl which are all DAergics. It mixes well with 5HT conpounds though such as inositol and FO (well FO goes well with everything lol). It also made me want to puke if I mixed it with coffee (I normally love coffee).

I don't think Uridine is going to be useful for anhedonia. It modulates DA in some sort of way but it isn't going to enhance pleasure response to things and that was never my experience with it. I found it to be more of a brain enhancer or nootropic in the way it can help you perform better mentally (which can then result in life becoming smoother because things that cause fog can perhaps become easier).

I've always wanted to try low dose amisulpride but was never keen on the prolactin effects. If it wasn't for that I'd be all over it!

#16 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

I currently take Uridine but find anything above 100mg makes me very cranky and depressed. But this small dose along with a fair bit of fish oil first thing in the morning does improve my mental state considerably. I am thinking that the major percentage of that improvement is probably down to the fish oil though (I take a fair whack of it, which I haven't really done before).

Above 100mg, or even if I dose another 100mg later in the day, Uridine turns into a Piracetam type substance making me speedy, cranky and depressed by just sitting down and being alone with my thoughts. I have noticed the only way to alleviate that undesirable state of mind has been to go for a long run or something.

Also I noticed Uridine didn't mix well at all with valdoxan, trivastal or deprenyl which are all DAergics. It mixes well with 5HT conpounds though such as inositol and FO (well FO goes well with everything lol). It also made me want to puke if I mixed it with coffee (I normally love coffee).

I don't think Uridine is going to be useful for anhedonia. It modulates DA in some sort of way but it isn't going to enhance pleasure response to things and that was never my experience with it. I found it to be more of a brain enhancer or nootropic in the way it can help you perform better mentally (which can then result in life becoming smoother because things that cause fog can perhaps become easier).

I've always wanted to try low dose amisulpride but was never keen on the prolactin effects. If it wasn't for that I'd be all over it!

The caffeine I've mentioned a few times in the big thread. Not surprising, as some of the same receptors are being used and it amplifies the caffeine effects (and reduces uridine's benefits).

Since you've been mixing it up a bit, could you mention your exact stack and/or experiments? It'd be good to get doses, etc. for reference.

#17 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

I honestly cannot remember much of these trials (well dosages,etc). I do remember that the combination of uridine with Lexapro was pretty dysphoric (cranky apathy!).

I've been playing around with doses again these past few days and have decided that if you are lacking an antidepressant response it might be worth lowering the uridine or increasing the amount of fish oil you are taking. Also, if your fish oil supplement is pants then you're also off to a false start as I've found a dramatic difference in quality between FO brands. By increasing the FO dose this alleviates the OCD edginess that I can get from the uridine.

I also have to add that I currently take inositol, so perhaps this has improved the DHA/uridine experience in some way (inositol upregulates d2 in the striatum I think? And uridine has been shown to increase DA transmission there too)

#18 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but i've been getting really itchy skin. I'm dosing urdine 300mg (using the SN scoop) day and night with fish oil and alpha gpc. Anyone have any idea what could be going wrong? I'm scratching myself senseless, its like the itch is really under my skin, any suggestions would be much appreciated.

In case you are wondering I don't have a scale. I'm on day 3 and so far I don't feel any effects.

#19 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:28 AM

Simplify back to one item at a time and work out if there is an issue with one of them. Also, what is your B vitamin source?

#20 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:43 PM

Thanks Mr Happy

Took 150mg of Uridine today without FO or GPC and had the same problem of itching and dry skin, been taking a vitamin b complex that has folic acid as well, not sure whats going wrong here.

I think i'm a responder, uridine seems stimulating to me, and I feel a cumulative effect on my cognitive functions, the itchiness is unbearable sadly, I was like everyone else really looking forward to this.

Edited by Major Legend, 01 September 2012 - 02:51 PM.

#21 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but i've been getting really itchy skin. I'm dosing urdine 300mg (using the SN scoop) day and night with fish oil and alpha gpc. Anyone have any idea what could be going wrong? I'm scratching myself senseless, its like the itch is really under my skin, any suggestions would be much appreciated.

In case you are wondering I don't have a scale. I'm on day 3 and so far I don't feel any effects.

I think you do have a scale... scales on your skin , that is. I bet!

#22 Nootropic Cat

• 148 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:37 PM

Bo-dum tsss

#23 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:02 PM

Hmm. Try stopping everything for 5 days, see if the itchiness goes away, then add 1 product at a time, with 3 days of separation between them.

Are there any visible signs of skin irritation? Also, do you have any joint pain? Lastly, what does your diet typically consist of?

#24 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:55 AM

I think its highly probable that its uridine, the itchiness goes away after half a day,the itchiness comes up within half an hour of ingesting uridine.

There is definetely skin irritation, but fortunately no joint pain, my diet is pretty normal...i eat one protein only meal a day and two carb meals. I avoid fatty and processed foods as much as possible.

I might try vitamin e or gla as a counter, though its doubtful it will work

Thanks for the help - how do you take your uridine?

#25 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:44 AM

I think its highly probable that its uridine, the itchiness goes away after half a day,the itchiness comes up within half an hour of ingesting uridine.

There is definetely skin irritation, but fortunately no joint pain, my diet is pretty normal...i eat one protein only meal a day and two carb meals. I avoid fatty and processed foods as much as possible.

B vitamins can also be related to skin irritation. Do you see a rash, or is the irritation confined to specific body parts?

I take uridine twice a day, orally. Sometimes I take a sublingual dose if I've missed a couple.

#26 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:32 AM

B vitamins can also be related to skin irritation. Do you see a rash, or is the irritation confined to specific body parts?

I take uridine twice a day, orally. Sometimes I take a sublingual dose if I've missed a couple.

What disorder do you take it for?

#27 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:46 AM

What disorder do you take it for?

Primarily, an insane, high-pressure, work:life ratio and related stress that would normally lead to me crashing (bad moods and despair). I was losing the ability to function in that environment. :)

Equally important - enhancing cognitive function.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#28 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:04 PM

I've noticed a conspicuous skin rash on the back of my neck after taking 325 - 650 milligrams. 

One day it' was a little itchy, although I resisted itching it. So not all that unbearable of a side effect.

What is the half life of Uridine in your system?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: depression, dysthymia, choline, apathy, uridine, omega 3

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users