Photo
- - - - -

Hep C and Resveratrol use

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

Is this a good idea? I saw it mentioned on a reputable site, that being, its not advisable. Comments please.

#2 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:33 PM

This study:

World J Gastroenterol. 2010 Jan 14;16(2):184-92.

An antioxidant resveratrol significantly enhanced replication of hepatitis C virus.

Nakamura M, Saito H, Ikeda M, Hokari R, Kato N, Hibi T, Miura S.

Source

Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, Keio University, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 1608582, Japan.

Abstract

AIM:

To elucidate the effect of antioxidants, resveratrol (RVT) and astaxanthin (AXN), on hepatitis C virus (HCV) replication.
METHODS:

We investigated the effect of recent popular antioxidant supplements on replication of the HCV replicon system OR6. RVT is a strong antioxidant and a kind of polyphenol that inhibits replication of various viruses. AXN is also a strong antioxidant. The replication of HCV RNA was assessed by the luciferase reporter assay. An additive effect of antioxidants on antiviral effects of interferon (IFN) and ribavirin (RBV) was investigated.
RESULTS:

This is the first report to investigate the effect of RVT and AXN on HCV replication. In contrast to other reported viruses, RVT significantly enhanced HCV RNA replication. Vitamin E also enhanced HCV RNA replication as reported previously, although AXN did not affect replication. IFN and RBV significantly reduced HCV RNA replication, but these effects were dose-dependently hampered and attenuated by the addition of RVT. AXN did not affect antiviral effects of IFN or RBV.
CONCLUSION:

These results suggested that RVT is not suitable as an antioxidant therapy for chronic hepatitis C.

But "... the highest concentration of RVT used in this study was 100 μmol/L...".
This is about 10 times the blood serum levels that can be attained by oral administration, so the relevance of this is debatable.

Edited by maxwatt, 30 July 2012 - 02:02 AM.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 2tender

• Topic Starter
  • 673 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

Thanks Maxwatt, so it is safe if taken in reasonable amounts, say, no more than 250 mgs dly, with a couple days off a week?

#4 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

I would look into BHT and Coconut oil if I were you 2tender.

BHT is known to take viral counts down to 'undedectable' by stripping away the lipid layer the virus hides behind.
Coconut oil works similarly due to the acids in it.

Sorry if Im saying things you already know.

#5 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:30 AM

Thanks Maxwatt, so it is safe if taken in reasonable amounts, say, no more than 250 mgs dly, with a couple days off a week?

That would be safe, but I doubt you will have a problem even with larger doses, as blood levels will not reach a fraction of the concentration the researchers used. We haven't seen an epidemic of hepatitis C among resveratrol users, and the virus is much more common than generally thought.

#6 2tender

• Topic Starter
  • 673 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:41 AM

Just wonderin, off course, everyone supplementing uses discretion and goes by how they feel, look, energy level,. If anyone has been using it in their regimen at modest amounts, with no problems, I would be mindful of it. I used it every day for 18 months, even transdermally, daily for years, and had no problems other than wakefullness and rapid fat loss. Just too expensive for me and I figured I had drenched myself with it externally and internally, at one point every cell in my body was saturated. I still use it on occassion. Thank ya kindly for yer comments ya'll and a tip of the hat....

#7 2tender

• Topic Starter
  • 673 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:48 AM

I would look into BHT and Coconut oil if I were you 2tender.

BHT is known to take viral counts down to 'undedectable' by stripping away the lipid layer the virus hides behind.
Coconut oil works similarly due to the acids in it.

Sorry if Im saying things you already know.

Thanks, thats new and worth knowing about! Thanks for implying I know something helpful, its very sweet, the way you phrased it.

#8 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

Thanks, thats new and worth knowing about! Thanks for implying I know something helpful, its very sweet, the way you phrased it.

:)
Thx

This link is a good place to start on BHT:
http://ask.lef.org/Topic4366.aspx

Some local Info:
http://www.longecity...+hydroxytoluene

http://www.longecity...ene#entry486796

Coconut:
http://www.hepatitis...d_you_incl.html
This article is incorrect about colestrol I think: Coconut oil does raise cholesterol but its the good type.

http://www.yesgethea...com/coconut.htm
  • Good Point x 1

#9 Hans Campbell Campbell

• 1 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:46 AM

Many of the supplements used as natural remedies

#10 Mafistas

• 4 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:52 PM

I will have to check those links out... my sister has hep C and my mom is hesitant to put her on the treatment bc she says all the side effects are so had..etc. I will update with any progress on that.

#11 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:13 AM

I will have to check those links out... my sister has hep C and my mom is hesitant to put her on the treatment bc she says all the side effects are so had..etc. I will update with any progress on that.

Do! :)

Its pretty cheap and cant hurt.
NB: In one of the links it says to supplement with Gelatine (jelly) when using BHT.
It should give you a more youthfull complexion in the process!

#12 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:24 PM

Silymarin and silibinin from milk thistle has been shown to be efficacious in treating the symptoms of hepatitis, and improves liver function.

http://ukpmc.ac.uk/abstract/MED/353464

http://onlinelibrary.../hep.23587/full

http://www.gastrojou...e/S0016-5085(08)01412-1/abstract?referrer=http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=silymarin%20,%20hepatitis

#13 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:39 PM

Has anyone read about the OTC antihistamine being potentially effective for Hep C? 

"An over-the-counter antihistamine, chlorcyclizine HCl costs $16.98 for 30 pills when sold under the brand name Ahist.
Chlorcyclizine has been around for decades but is not widely used. But the researchers found that the drug appears to prevent an early stage of infection with hepatitis C."

"It's too early to know if the antihistamine chlorcyclizine HCI will work in people as a treatment for hepatitis C. Still, the new research suggests that "the drug blocks the virus getting into cells and is different from the current hepatitis C drugs, which block viral replication," said study co-author Dr. T. Jake Liang, a senior investigator with the U.S. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases."

I don't have any liver issues but I do take Milk Thistle for liver protection. I'm just looking for liver protective compounds that could protect the liver. I did have my Hep A and B vaccinations in the past 2 years, which is good for 10 years. There is no Hep C vaccination available. Would the antihistamine mentioned in teh article below be a good idea to take from time to time after using some compounds that may affect the liver (kava, some nootropics, etc.)?

• Informative x 1

#14 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 April 2015 - 10:11 AM

Thirty-three compounds displayed antiviral activity in the absence of cytotoxicity at low-micromolar and submicromolar concentrations. Many of the candidates were lysosomotropic compounds that inhibited HCV entry with differential efficacy against genotype 1a (H77) and genotype 2a (JFH-1) envelope glycoproteins. Two compounds, MK886 and pterostilbene, were potent inhibitors of persistent HCV infection: MK886 reduced intracellular HCV RNA levels, and pterostilbene inhibited infectious particle assembly and secretion without altering HCV RNA levels. Toremifene blocked viral entry but also displayed antiviral activity in persistently infected cells; it has a small impact on intracellular infectivity and HCV RNA accumulation but strongly inhibited progeny virus secretion. Finally, rabeprazole inhibited HCV infection by targeting a yet uncharacterized aspect of the HCV life cycle downstream of entry and upstream of replication.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2806752/

• Informative x 1

#15 2tender

• Topic Starter
  • 673 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:14 PM

I must say logic you are quite bright ! I stopped exercising and supplementing then came down with everything that went around. So good advice is to stay with a regimen and stick to it. Tocotrienols are good for everything, expensive, though. Got to get back to exercise.

#16 IWS

• 25 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:12 AM

Lactoferrin, because its immune modulator properties and effect on iron metabolism, effectively protects (and inhibits) from Hep C virus, (academic) Google "Lactoferrin Hepatitis C" and you will see the related studies. Colostrum contains some, you better look for stand alone form coming in gastro-resistant capsules, take it at the wake up on empty stomach with enough water.

• Good Point x 1

#17 2tender

• Topic Starter
  • 673 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:16 PM

I just wanted to bump this up, there is some good information here. 

#18 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:14 AM

is hep c the worst of all hepatitis considering I don't think there is a vaccine for it? Yet they have vaccines for hep A and B. I know someone with Hep C that's on medication and this person has told me the viral load has lessened, but then again there is no cure for it, only treatment. Is Hep C transmittable through getting in contact with the person's blood and through sex? From what I've read that it is easier to catch Hep C through sex than HIV is through sex, not sure if that's true.

#19 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:06 PM

So Hep C is curable now? According to this article yes...

http://www.bostonglo...V0vN/story.html

Those $1000 a day pill is the cure?

• Informative x 2

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#20 aim1

• 102 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 05:40 PM

Harvoni is the most well known of the Hep C treatment drugs.
it is a miracle breakthrough for most people lucky enough to get on it.

There are other options such as Viekira Pak, which is substantially cheaper, but not cheap by any means.

There are others in the pipeline too.

Manufacturing generics in India is on going for pennies on the dollar.

• Good Point x 1
  • Disagree x 1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users