Intervention in age-related disease

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 08:35 PM

rdnyshac@aol.com

Hello. I wrote this paper a while ago. It's now in press to Medical Hypotheses. Read it if it interests you. I could re-write a less complex version if you like to your organization if you're interested. Take Care - Rodney Shackelford

--

Thanks Rodney,

I'll bring to the ImmInst Editing Team for consideration.

Take care,

Bruce

===

Pharmacologic manipulation of the ataxia–telangiectasia mutated gene product as an intervention in age-related disease

Rodney E. Shackelford *
Lousiana State University at Shreveport, Department of Pathology, 1501 Kings Hwy,
PO Box 33932, Shreveport, LA 711030-3932, USA

Received 27 January 2005; accepted 11 February 2005

#2 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 08:36 PM

pdf

Attached Files

#3 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:06 PM

in press version.. updated a few errors.

Attached Files

#4 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:14 PM

Cool paper. While upregulation of this compound might not significantly increase longevity, it's certainly got a decent chance. It seems to regulate multiple pathways to various problems of aging: senescent cells ("too many cells" from SENS), chromosomal DNA damage (no mention of mitochondria), oxidized materials (intra-cellular junk). Aubrey and others might argue that those systems are tuned for our lifespans, so further upregulation will have no benefit... Perhaps. Those who might get the most benefit, I suppose, are those whose systems are not optimized. Obviously, this would apply to progeroid syndrome sufferers. But as I've mentioned in the past, people who receive longevity treatments will no longer be optmized, since those treatments will preferentially boost some systems over others. So a treatment like this may find a home in future longevity treatment suites.

Anyway, back to the paper. It's not terribly complex in its logic, so other than its reliance on a lot of protein nicknames/acronyms, it wouldn't need too much rewriting. The only question is, how would this fit into the book? It seems more like the kind of paper that would be used to support a bigger point, rather than being a strong point on its own. Not sure how we would fit this in...

#5 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:38 PM

Yes, Jay.

Not sure such detailed papers will find a place in this next book...

It will be nice to find the theme for the second book.. perhaps it will emerge, I have a preference for one which surround the Essay Contest, the Oblivion Question. http://www.imminst.org/contest

#6 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 02:33 PM

This is interesting. Increased p53 expression with appropriate regulation lowers cancer incidence and does not cause the premature aging seen with increased constitutive p53 expression. So here's an example of a simple genetic manipulation that lowers cancer incidence without causing any side-effects. This paper should be encouraging in your efforts. I expect that the paper I sent to you on the ataxia-telangiectasia mutated gene was too theoretical for you to bother about. Take Care - Rodney

Attached Files

• Attached File  p53.pdf   440.06KB   3 downloads

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users