• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Tell the EU what areas need research

policy research horizon2020

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

http://cordis.europa...ult2012_en.html

Please don't put 'ageing research' - that just means research into better bedpans.
  • like x 2

#2 Droplet

• Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:53 AM

Please don't put 'ageing research' - that just means research into better bedpans.

Could you please offer pointers for those of us who are not scientifically minded? Would "rejuvenation therapies" and/or "healthy life extension" be the better choice of phrase?

Want to do this but don't want to mess it up for our cause by putting something really stupid and being unaware. Thanks.

Edited by Droplet, 24 October 2012 - 05:53 AM.

• like x 1

#3 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:46 AM

Well, what do others think?

Rejuvenation is a great descriptor- but needs backing up with a bit of science (maybe SENS) to come across as substantial.
Healthy life extension sounds a bit like 'healthy ageing' which the EU does a lot of - the whole compression of morbidity stuff is sadly prevalent.

Areas that are not supported enough for political reasons include:
xenotransplantation, gene therapy, biostasis (you'll never get cryonics but this ins the way in), proper lifespan studies for nutraceuticals, pharming,

more
investigator driven phase 1/2 studies, science education, free biobanks, biodiversity banks, research, open peer review,

less
bureaucracy in clinical research, scientific fraud

If you want to talk about aging research stress that we need to know work on combating age-related diseases.
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Droplet

• 6,772 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:57 AM

This is pretty complicated...is there any chance someone here can offer a stock response for the less scientifically intelligent like myself? I have looked at the forms and would love to help.

#5 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:42 AM

- regenerative medicine: with stem cells
- strongly preventive medicine(*): detecting long term health effects of drugs via research models (mouse lifespan tests, or better mouse healthy life year tests) and human statistics
- fundamental research against aging
- citizen science against aging(**): collectively particpating in experiments

(*) What is sometimes described as the KEHLY initiative
(**) starts to be very trendy at the EU, including in calls for grants

- strongly preventive medicine(*): detecting long term health effects of drugs via research models (mouse lifespan tests, or better mouse healthy life year tests) and human statistics

#6 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:49 AM

#7 Droplet

• 6,772 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:06 AM

Thanks Agevivo, have used that. :) Here's what I put on the bottom bit in case anyone needs any inspiration. I know you can all do better than me:

This project would challenge the aging of society head on and potentially environmental issues, as people will not longer be able to afford an attitude of "I won't be here anyways." This is NOT just better ways to accept aging but ways to truly end this curse once and for all.

The defeat of the miseries associated with human aging would open up radical possibilities for humanity by ensuring the preservation of wisdom and more time for the best minds to accomplish projects like space travel deeper into space and the solving of major world issues.

Everyone would benefit from this by not having the curse of illness brought about by the passage of time. Society would beneifit immensely by not having a massive health bill and having people in work longer without having to pay out as many benefits.

Europe could quite easily lead the world in this desperately under-funded and under-researched area. I feel that should Europe pursue this fully, it could not only mark them out as world leaders but also create much prosperity.

There are some initiatives already out there such as Mprize.org and Longecity.org as well as exciting research like the New Organ Prize but neither are national projects. Europe should consider putting lots of time and funding into this and making it an international and national priority throughout Europe.

This is important as by not helping, we are letting people suffer and standing by. You are not just condemning other people but also yourself to a slow, painful and miserable death. Aging is neither normal nor desirable and it's about time we stopped standing back, pretending it is "normal" and taking action. After all, other diseases are "a part of nature" and we try to cure those so why should the cluster of diseases we call "aging" be thought of any differently?

Come on people, contribute to this and make a huge difference! :)
  • like x 1

#8 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:00 AM

Thanks Agevivo, have used that. :) Here's what I put on the bottom bit in case anyone needs any inspiration. I know you can all do better than me:

This project would challenge the aging of society head on and potentially environmental issues, as people will not longer be able to afford an attitude of "I won't be here anyways." This is NOT just better ways to accept aging but ways to truly end this curse once and for all.

The defeat of the miseries associated with human aging would open up radical possibilities for humanity by ensuring the preservation of wisdom and more time for the best minds to accomplish projects like space travel deeper into space and the solving of major world issues.

Everyone would benefit from this by not having the curse of illness brought about by the passage of time. Society would beneifit immensely by not having a massive health bill and having people in work longer without having to pay out as many benefits.

Europe could quite easily lead the world in this desperately under-funded and under-researched area. I feel that should Europe pursue this fully, it could not only mark them out as world leaders but also create much prosperity.

There are some initiatives already out there such as Mprize.org and Longecity.org as well as exciting research like the New Organ Prize but neither are national projects. Europe should consider putting lots of time and funding into this and making it an international and national priority throughout Europe.

This is important as by not helping, we are letting people suffer and standing by. You are not just condemning other people but also yourself to a slow, painful and miserable death. Aging is neither normal nor desirable and it's about time we stopped standing back, pretending it is "normal" and taking action. After all, other diseases are "a part of nature" and we try to cure those so why should the cluster of diseases we call "aging" be thought of any differently?

Come on people, contribute to this and make a huge difference! :)

The defeat of the miseries associated with human aging? This has nothing to do with longevity since no matter how long you live you will eventually die and there's no logic in thinking that you will suffer less just because you are older when it happens.
  • like x 1

#9 Droplet

• 6,772 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

The defeat of the miseries associated with human aging? This has nothing to do with longevity since no matter how long you live you will eventually die and there's no logic in thinking that you will suffer less just because you are older when it happens.

I tried and it was on a fifteen minute time limit before work. As already mentioned earlier in this post, I'm not the smartest person but I mean well.
  • like x 1

#10 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

Droplet, you did well. Thanks for the contribution.
  • like x 3

#11 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:37 PM

Find a spectrum of glucosepane-breaking enzymes or other potentially safe physical/chemical methods of breaking down glucosepane.

#12 Droplet

• 6,772 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:55 PM

Droplet, you did well. Thanks for the contribution.

Thanks. :) I do mean well and want to help but I'm just not a scientifically-minded person.

#13 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,212 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:09 AM

Please, explain me better about The Community Research and Development Information Service - CORDIS
http://cordis.europa.eu/

Is it a comunity approved from the European Union?
Who forms it?
Is it some sort of governmental organisation?
Who this comunity will inform?
  • dislike x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: policy, research, horizon2020

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users