Photo
- - - - -

How to increase confidence and self-esteem

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 ricca91

• 53 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

I've been trying to increase my self esteem and confidence for a long time, and until now with poor results... Do you know of a substance which can increase it? Make you appear confident and "dominant". I'm talking strictly about supplements or chemicals (alone, as a stack or to be cycled), nothing about therapy or meditation (tried it, doesn't work for me). Thanks!

#2 ricca91

• Topic Starter
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

@stablemind: I tried:
-Rhodiola (some results, but not enough)
-Propranolol (I think this is the one which works best)
-Modafinil (tried it for other issues and thought it could help with this, but I think it even made things worse)

Right now I can't think of anything else... I have no experience with racetams since here in Argentina they are quite difficult top get...

Cheers!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 norepinephrine

• 219 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

1) Eliminate anxiety. See ScienceGuy's thread.

2) Work out. Increase testosterone. Do heavy resistance training with appropriate recovery between sessions.

3) Get out of your comfort zone.

I notice small, transitory increases in socialability from green tea, ginkgo/gotu extract and dopamine precursors (L-tyrosine, L-phenylalanine, B+C vits), but the largest effect by far is from when I regularly and consistently lift weights. From there, it's a matter of actually going out, meeting people, striking up conversations, etc.

Edited by norepinephrine, 08 November 2012 - 09:45 PM.

#4 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

Work out to build muscle if you are male.

Keep exposing yourself to social situations. It may not seem to help at first but with time it will help. As long as you don't get dependent on it, a bit of alcohol can help relax you, but remember that nobody likes a drunk.

#5 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

I, along with others, have found CDP-Choline and ALCAR to help. If your anxiety issues are of Cholinergic nature, then these two supplements may help. I suggest you do a search for "anxiety" on this forum. There are tons of supplements available. Dopamine release / receptor density has a lot to do with this, which is why Adderall works so well at countering anxiety. It also allows me to appear more dominant.
  • like x 2

#6 ricca91

• Topic Starter
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:18 AM

Thanks guys! I was exactly looking for an answer like stablemind's. i know about working out and going out and talk to everybody, etc. but the thing is, I do all of these stuff. I just want to feel and appear more dominant, more "alpha" if you know what I mean.

I think it's fundamental I give a bit of background information about myself. I'm male, 21 and have bipolar II. I study medicine (finishing 3rd year out of 6). I take quetiapine, lamotrigine, desvenlafaxine (for bipolar) plus propranolol for hypertension and tachycardia. Occasionally Modafinil for studying and rarely opioid painkillers for an inoperable pilonidal cyst.

I used to smoke cigarettes but now quit and "smoke" the electronic one, used to drink but now not anymore.

Supplements I take:
- NOW curcumin liposomal 500 mg (mainly for inflammation and depression)
- Jarrow's Rhodiola Rosea 500 mg
- NOW NAC 600 mg
- Huperzine A 200 mg

Blood tests came back normal, but couldn't do a hormone panel because no doctor prescribes me the test. They say it's not necessary. I have no family history of hormone imbalances and I have a very high sex drive, deep voice, normal muscle mass and normal body hair so I guess my testosterone is OK.

It's worthwile to mention that I always have had symptoms of low self confidence, although during hypomania it gets better. Alcohol and benzos make me less anxious, but that's not the point, they don't make me more self confident.

I was thinking that in case my testosterone is lower than normal, I could try clomifene (here is practically OTC), does anybody have experience with it? Keep the advices coming!

I'm surely going to try ALCAR (what doses do you advice?)

Cheers!

Edited by ricca91, 09 November 2012 - 12:21 AM.

#7 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:30 AM

Well, ALCAR makes some people very anxious, but I guess it may be worth a try. I do find choline to help a bit with anxiety.

#8 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:42 AM

Thanks guys! I was exactly looking for an answer like stablemind's. i know about working out and going out and talk to everybody, etc. but the thing is, I do all of these stuff. I just want to feel and appear more dominant, more "alpha" if you know what I mean.

I think it's fundamental I give a bit of background information about myself. I'm male, 21 and have bipolar II. I study medicine (finishing 3rd year out of 6). I take quetiapine, lamotrigine, desvenlafaxine (for bipolar) plus propranolol for hypertension and tachycardia. Occasionally Modafinil for studying and rarely opioid painkillers for an inoperable pilonidal cyst.

I used to smoke cigarettes but now quit and "smoke" the electronic one, used to drink but now not anymore.

Supplements I take:
- NOW NAC 600 mg
- Huperzine A 200 mg

Blood tests came back normal, but couldn't do a hormone panel because no doctor prescribes me the test. They say it's not necessary. I have no family history of hormone imbalances and I have a very high sex drive, deep voice, normal muscle mass and normal body hair so I guess my testosterone is OK.

It's worthwile to mention that I always have had symptoms of low self confidence, although during hypomania it gets better. Alcohol and benzos make me less anxious, but that's not the point, they don't make me more self confident.

I was thinking that in case my testosterone is lower than normal, I could try clomifene (here is practically OTC), does anybody have experience with it? Keep the advices coming!

Cheers!

Liposomal curcumin from NOW foods? Does that really exists? Or do you make it yourself at home?

#9 norepinephrine

• 219 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:19 AM

ALCAR seems to make me anxious in upper dosages and have a neutral effect at regular ones. The anxiety stems partly from the added weight on my neck and shoulders, which is never really a great way to calm down.

In my experience, controlling anxiety is not the same as enhancing socialability and the ability to be outgoing, assertive or self-confident. I can feel absolutely no anxiety in a situation, and yet come across completely boring and disinterested; I can also have mild anxiety and yet come across as highly engaging.

Edited by norepinephrine, 09 November 2012 - 01:19 AM.

• like x 1

#10 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:01 AM

Supplements I take:
- NOW NAC 600 mg
- Huperzine A 200 mg

Cheers!

I have BPII myself and have found Uridine to be of great use. Search the forums for the Uridine / DHA / Choline thread by MrHappy. It actually has a great mood stabilizing effect, which in turns makes your confidence rise since you don't have all those negative thoughts bringing you down. I used to be the shyest person in high school, now mental/physical anxiety really isn't a problem but boy did it take a while. BTW I found Circumin to mildly exacerbate my depressive symptoms. Also since you take Huperzine A already, I would be weary of adding any Cholinergics. I recommend you stopping that first incase you run into excessive Acetyl-Choline issues.

#11 ricca91

• Topic Starter
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:09 AM

Supplements I take:
- NOW NAC 600 mg
- Huperzine A 200 mg

Cheers!

Liposomal curcumin from NOW foods? Does that really exists? Or do you make it yourself at home?

Oh, sorry, I meant Meriva (phytosome)...

#12 fql

• 146 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:12 AM

Exercise. It's important. That's why everyone always recommends it.

#13 ricca91

• Topic Starter
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:16 AM

Supplements I take:
- NOW NAC 600 mg
- Huperzine A 200 mg

Cheers!

I have BPII myself and have found Uridine to be of great use. Search the forums for the Uridine / DHA / Choline thread by MrHappy. It actually has a great mood stabilizing effect, which in turns makes your confidence rise since you don't have all those negative thoughts bringing you down. I used to be the shyest person in high school, now mental/physical anxiety really isn't a problem but boy did it take a while. BTW I found Circumin to mildly exacerbate my depressive symptoms. Also since you take Huperzine A already, I would be weary of adding any Cholinergics. I recommend you stopping that first incase you run into excessive Acetyl-Choline issues.

Thanks, that's really useful to know! I actually read about uridine and I would really like to try it! Seems to be really legit stuff! I buy from a website which supplies triacetyluridine, what do you think? Is it OK or UDP is better?

I'm going to carry on with the curcumin because it really helps with inflammation, and I might stop Hup A and give ALCAR a go!

#14 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:21 AM

Supplements I take:
- NOW NAC 600 mg
- Huperzine A 200 mg

Cheers!

Thanks, that's really useful to know! I actually read about uridine and I would really like to try it! Seems to be really legit stuff! I buy from a website which supplies triacetyluridine, what do you think? Is it OK or UDP is better?

I'm going to carry on with the curcumin because it really helps with inflammation, and I might stop Hup A and give ALCAR a go!

Lemme know how it goes. I recommend you start with UMP since you can take it sublingually. Make sure you take it orally first to see how you respond to it then from there you can judge whether you should take it sublingually which delivers much more and much faster. TAU is several times stronger than UMP orally but sublingually UMP is stronger than TAU taken orally.

#15 ricca91

• Topic Starter
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:33 AM

Supplements I take:
- NOW NAC 600 mg
- Huperzine A 200 mg

Cheers!

Lemme know how it goes. I recommend you start with UMP since you can take it sublingually. Make sure you take it orally first to see how you respond to it then from there you can judge whether you should take it sublingually which delivers much more and much faster. TAU is several times stronger than UMP orally but sublingually UMP is stronger than TAU taken orally.

Nice! Then I'll order UMP! I'll keep this thread updated and let you know how it goes. Obviously any advice is welcome! Thanks!

#16 @now

• 100 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

Some try phenylpiracetam (but sparely, tolerance can build quick), sulbutiamine (same)- both stimulants that can boost confidence within an hour and will last the better part of the day.

Of course, one has to mention noopept these days.

Aniracetam works great for (social) anxiety and might work on confidence that way (indirectly). And pramiracetam which often works a bit mood-flattening; in my experience great in negatively biased moods/emotions/... (the noopept + pramiracetam + alpha GPC is pretty nice for me)

#17 ricca91

• Topic Starter
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

Some try phenylpiracetam (but sparely, tolerance can build quick), sulbutiamine (same)- both stimulants that can boost confidence within an hour and will last the better part of the day.

Of course, one has to mention noopept these days.

Aniracetam works great for (social) anxiety and might work on confidence that way (indirectly). And pramiracetam which often works a bit mood-flattening; in my experience great in negatively biased moods/emotions/... (the noopept + pramiracetam + alpha GPC is pretty nice for me)

I've tried sulbutiamine, with absolutely zero effects (weird), but I'll surely try aniracetam. Today I began with low dose clomid for raising testosterone, and I'll see where it leads to...

#18 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:34 AM

If you take Clomid, be careful with the dosing. Several top HRT doctors now prescribe doses of 12.5 mg per day, or even every other day, and that's for patients who are hypogonadal, which you presumably aren't. If you go higher than that, you can get all kinds of estrogenic side effects such as depression and sexual problems. Don't listen to the bodybuilders who take enormous doses, they don't really know what they are talking about.

#19 sapaiderman

• 55 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:38 AM

confidence, less anxiety and cognitive benefits are what I am looking for from Nootropics and so far aniracetam and alpha gpc have an anti anxiety effect on me,
and so does pramiracetam to some extent...

cdp choline worked for the first few days and then made me depressed, Alcar makes me too nervous and jittery, and subultiamne did nothing for me!

9 AM
Prami 300mg
Piracetam 300mg
A GPC 500mg
omega 3,6,9

1 PM
Prami 300mg
Piracetam 300mg
omega 3,6,9

as needed
300 - 500mg Aniracetam

Edited by sapaiderman, 10 November 2012 - 03:48 AM.

#20 ricca91

• Topic Starter
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:16 AM

If you take Clomid, be careful with the dosing. Several top HRT doctors now prescribe doses of 12.5 mg per day, or even every other day, and that's for patients who are hypogonadal, which you presumably aren't. If you go higher than that, you can get all kinds of estrogenic side effects such as depression and sexual problems. Don't listen to the bodybuilders who take enormous doses, they don't really know what they are talking about.

I really appreciate the advice, I was going for 25 mg/day but I'm now gonna take 12.5 mg and see what happens!
Cheers!

confidence, less anxiety and cognitive benefits are what I am looking for from Nootropics and so far aniracetam and alpha gpc have an anti anxiety effect on me,

cdp choline worked for the first few days and then made me depressed, Alcar makes me too nervous and jittery, and subultiamne did nothing for me!

9 AM
Prami 300mg
Piracetam 300mg
A GPC 500mg
omega 3,6,9

1 PM
Prami 300mg
Piracetam 300mg
omega 3,6,9

as needed
300 - 500mg Aniracetam

Also alpha-GPC is on the "to do" list! Fish oil is a no no for me, instant depression!

#21 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:22 AM

Do you have to take aniracetam daily for the anti anxiety effect or as needed? Dose? How does it compare to modafinil?

#22 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:15 AM

I really appreciate the advice, I was going for 25 mg/day but I'm now gonna take 12.5 mg and see what happens!
Cheers!

9 AM
Prami 300mg
Piracetam 300mg
A GPC 500mg
omega 3,6,9

1 PM
Prami 300mg
Piracetam 300mg
omega 3,6,9

as needed
300 - 500mg Aniracetam

Also alpha-GPC is on the "to do" list! Fish oil is a no no for me, instant depression!

Alpha-GPC and CDP Choline have an interesting relationship. You may respond to one or the other, positively or negatively. I found GPC to blunt my mood and make me mildly depressed while CDP provided me with a rather strong antidepressant effect with focus. If you have the cash, get both. I would start with CDP since it converts to Uridine. Make sure you start with a low dose since they cross the blood-brain barrier very effectively.

#23 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

The obvious problem when you start more than one supplement or medication at the same time is that you won't be able to tell what is doing what, and if you have side effects you won't know what to stop.

#24 OpaqueMind

• 471 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

This isn't a medication, but something infinitely more affordable and effective.

Stand tall. Literally, puff out your chest and imitate the stance of a prideful person. Reverse engineering emotions from the bodily reactions they usualy cause is not a new phenomena, but is currently being studied with rigorous scientific analysis. If you have 20 minutes I highly recommend watching this video that explains all; http://www.ted.com/t...ho_you_are.html. Simply adopting an alpha position/position of confidence for a few minutes can increase testosterone production by ~30% and decrease cortisol levels (stress hormones) by 30%!

#25 ricca91

• Topic Starter
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

Cheers!

9 AM
Prami 300mg
Piracetam 300mg
A GPC 500mg
omega 3,6,9

1 PM
Prami 300mg
Piracetam 300mg
omega 3,6,9

as needed
300 - 500mg Aniracetam

Alpha-GPC and CDP Choline have an interesting relationship. You may respond to one or the other, positively or negatively. I found GPC to blunt my mood and make me mildly depressed while CDP provided me with a rather strong antidepressant effect with focus. If you have the cash, get both. I would start with CDP since it converts to Uridine. Make sure you start with a low dose since they cross the blood-brain barrier very effectively.

I'm heading to the pharmacy and am going to buy CDP-choline, I've heard a lot of good stuff about it... Do you think 250 mg in the morning is enough? Very good advices guys, thanks! Keep them coming!

Cheers!

9 AM
Prami 300mg
Piracetam 300mg
A GPC 500mg
omega 3,6,9

1 PM
Prami 300mg
Piracetam 300mg
omega 3,6,9

as needed
300 - 500mg Aniracetam

I'm heading to the pharmacy and am going to buy CDP-choline, I've heard a lot of good stuff about it... Do you think 250 mg in the morning is enough? Very good advices and experiences guys, thanks! Keep them coming!

#26 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

Cheers!

9 AM
Prami 300mg
Piracetam 300mg
A GPC 500mg
omega 3,6,9

1 PM
Prami 300mg
Piracetam 300mg
omega 3,6,9

as needed
300 - 500mg Aniracetam

I'm heading to the pharmacy and am going to buy CDP-choline, I've heard a lot of good stuff about it... Do you think 250 mg in the morning is enough? Very good advices guys, thanks! Keep them coming!

Cheers!

9 AM
Prami 300mg
Piracetam 300mg
A GPC 500mg
omega 3,6,9

1 PM
Prami 300mg
Piracetam 300mg
omega 3,6,9

as needed
300 - 500mg Aniracetam

I'm heading to the pharmacy and am going to buy CDP-choline, I've heard a lot of good stuff about it... Do you think 250 mg in the morning is enough? Very good advices and experiences guys, thanks! Keep them coming!

Yes that's plenty. I'm going to be testing with half of that since I feel 250 mg may be slightly high. Remember that you can always take it apart if the capsules are too much.

#27 ricca91

• Topic Starter
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

Cheers!

9 AM
Prami 300mg
Piracetam 300mg
A GPC 500mg
omega 3,6,9

1 PM
Prami 300mg
Piracetam 300mg
omega 3,6,9

as needed
300 - 500mg Aniracetam

Cheers!

9 AM
Prami 300mg
Piracetam 300mg
A GPC 500mg
omega 3,6,9

1 PM
Prami 300mg
Piracetam 300mg
omega 3,6,9

as needed
300 - 500mg Aniracetam

Yes that's plenty. I'm going to be testing with half of that since I feel 250 mg may be slightly high. Remember that you can always take it apart if the capsules are too much.

Awesome! Then I'll report back my progresses (or lack of haha)!

#28 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:29 AM

I don't believe there is a magic pill for that. Most likely the roots are emotional and relating to upbringing. If it helps, you could try these self-expression threads to process your experiences:

http://www.longecity...-these-self-expression-threads/

Edited by Luminosity, 11 November 2012 - 12:29 AM.

#29 ricca91

• Topic Starter
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

WOW! Yesterday and today I took Citicholine, 250 mg. I'm not sure if it increased self confidence since I really didn't go out, but it instantly cleared my brain fog. It's excellent, and hopefully it'll last.

Also, it's my third day on clomiphene. It seems like I have more energy and this morning I woke up with a wood, something which hasn't happened for a long time!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#30 chesupp

• 8 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

are these confidence issues: work, school or personal (females)? a lot of it has to do with just being gung-ho about it and speaking confidently. to speak confidently, just take out the bullshit on subject matters.

but, no matter how many supplements you take -- if you don't practice it -- it won't ever come naturally, imo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users