• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

"Lonely" Older People Do Not Know "Busy" Neighbours

loneliness isolation nursing in practise aging depression winter

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Droplet

• Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

Article from Nusring in Practise highlights the social and psychological miseries that aging brings:

More than three million people aged 65 and over are not getting any help, support or companionship from neighbours, research shows.
More than 700,000 older people in the UK report that they “always” or “often” feel lonely with over half of all older people considering the TV as their main form of company.
It is claimed loneliness can have the same adverse effects on an older person’s health as obesity and smoking.

Read more here: http://www.nursingin...busy-neighbours

Edited by Droplet, 19 November 2012 - 11:21 AM.

#2 JBForrester

• 350 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:09 AM

Wow, this is so sad. Thank you for sharing that, Droplet. It's amazing how anti-social behaviors can have devastating effects on large communities. And the article you posted makes me think about my own behavior as well. Thank you.

And I know again I am 1 year late in replying, but I'm still exploring the different areas of longecity since I usually stick to the health section of forums. I'm officially stepping out of my comfort zone :)

Edited by JBForrester, 21 September 2013 - 06:12 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: loneliness, isolation, nursing in practise, aging, depression, winter

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users