Photo
- - - - -

Seeking a straight forward answer on resveratrol re: emodin

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Daisy Neptune

• 12 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

Was advised to take resveratrol in conjunction with curcumin, and theaflavin--however, was not given specific brands for resvertrol. I've gotten to the bottom of the curcumin and bioperine controversy (another post for that one--)--and the theaflavin, well the only one I found was the life extension one. But in regards to the resveratrol, I've never seen so much misinformation and confusion to someone who is looking to use these supplements to conquer a serious disease. --

What I've found out so far: and please experts out there, correct me where I'm wrong, sorry for info that seems repetitive although, for someone new like me, I think they might appreciate to find all of this info in one thread instead of spending hours reading like I have--and please please offer some actual experience using any of these...

-Longevinex --oh boy, read through many posts on this forum, and didn't realize how politicized reservetrol was and personalty stuff--did hear from Bill Sardi via email and he confirmed most of what he has stated in these forums which is, his product has practically no emodin in it, and he thinks it works better at lower dose, however, he acknowledges that those using transreservatrol at higher doses are trying to create the opposite effect of killing cancer cells and not providing a more suppressive environment. He said his product was non toxic up to 2800mg a day, but certainly his product would be very expensive to do a high dose, and my doctor is suggesting buiding up to 1000 mg a day of resveratrol. But, also, remember, my doctor didn't even suggest a brand and gave me a handout that pictured a bottle of life extension resevatrol that had a 20mg label and listed emodin LOL..but, I did call, and they reiterated the 1000 mg a day by phone...but, no brand..

Frankly, I think it's shameful, that patients with little knowledge of pharmacology are runnign around having to do the research for all these supplements, one advantage I've seen from naturapaths is that often they know the better brands to recommend, but unfortunately, they charge a fortune..oh well..I digress....

-From everything I have read, the simple answer to avoiding the emodin which has caused side effects ranging from joint pain, to diareaha and gastric stuff--is to avoid the emodin. This appears to be impossible if taking the 50% products, and the 50% products if one understands the label correctly, would be for example, a 200mg pill with a 50% concentration of transresv...would indicate that product is really, a 100mg pure transverat and the other 100mg is a mixture of other stuff that they are not telling you or will tell you, and it definitely includes emodin. Whereas, a 200mg pill with a 98% or 99% concentration, is just that, and does not have other stuff that is not listed on label.

So, that being said, all of the 98% products that I saw are the following:
-revgenetics, 98% pill at 500mg

-longevinex, which has 100mg of microtrans resverv. at 85%, quercetin and ip6,ferulic acid, nulcei tides (whatever that is!) and vit d, 1000mg in there somewhere too? --and yuk, titan dioxide, too...

-megaresveratrol...this site appears to be a total scam

-biotivia, also appears to be questionable at best...and they've got emodin according to many complaints...and they use celebrities without permission--ughhh

-Vivixx liquid by shaklee some insanely priced product

-resvitale, a 50% product at GNC which I love this is priced double when you call the store, because " It's my store, we are a franchise, we can charge whatever we want, ", my reply, "well you're charging 50% over suggested list price", answer, "well, It's my store!!"...oh goodness!! And the guy didn't even know it was 50% product--so, filled with emodin I bet! here's the label: http://www.gnc.com/p...oductId=3858128

-RESgrape by Perfect supplements, a company which appears to be in Rhode Island, has decent looking website--and bbb rating ok...seems like they have been online since 2011--do not see their product sold at any stores only online, and disturbingly found a "ad" for them which says, healthpost reccomends, resgrape...LOL..healthpost is resgrape, look on youtube and there are all the same videos for both of them...BUT, for some reason, I've yet to figure out yet, there label says everything right and so does their site, a 98% pure product a 99% product from muscadine organic grapes and no emodin: http://www.perfectsu...-p/resgrape.htm

So...my question is, if this is the holy grail, and their submission online of independent testing: http://www.perfectsu...ol-analysis.pdf

and this is the best bet..why can't I find anyone taking it anywhere..and why don't they have national distribution in stores? ---also, wonder the same for revgenetics of which I see his ads sponsoring this site and have read, his (anthony's ) posts in my recent research on this site--and others...

And my cart at vitacost sits empty with reservatrol because every single one they have on their site is a 50% product----so, if one wants to take something like this long term and at a higher dosage (costing more money), and avoiding any side effects with emodin,,,what is my best bet?

Thank you for reading this!!

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

Sorry this is so difficult. It's kind of the Wild West out there, isn't it? You should get the 98% product from RevGenetics, and forget the rest. It will be what it claims to be, and you won't get ripped off. I'm not sure what Bill Sardi meant, based on what you wrote, but cancer treatment doses tend to be large, in order to encourage apoptosis of cancer cells. Avoiding emodin is a good idea, and most people find doses of as much as one to several grams to be tolerable, but a small percent of people get GI disturbances even with high purity resveratrol. Some people have experienced joint pain from resveratrol. This happens with high purity products, so we don't think it's from emodin. We think that it is related to aromatase inhibition. It usually resolves when you stop resveratrol, and there have been reports that having an adequate vitamin D level is protective. There have been a few cases where the pain didn't resolve upon stopping resveratrol, but I think that's fairly rare. Good luck with it; I hope you're feeling better.
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

I buy 98% bulk powder for a fraction of the cost. Doses can be easily measured out and easily adjusted to whatever dose you desire. Bulk powder can also be easy to dose sublingually from which I experience greater effect. You can also buy 99% bulk powder and it's not that much more expensive but I personally don't feel it's worth the extra cost.
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#4 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

1000 mg of resveratrol seems high to me. Why did your doctor recommend such a high dose? Theaflavin supposedly is a calming agent, possibly lowers cholesterol ....it's kind of odd to be recommended with resveratrol and curcumin.
I take the Life Extension 100 mg resveratrol ( 98% trans resveratrol )
I would stick with LEF.org, given that you are a novice. They are a decent source for information.

#5 Daisy Neptune

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

kevnzworld: oncolog treating MGUS precurser to multiple myeloma to try to keep numbers down--they told me to take these 3 things and it appears that others have had some success with it--the life extension brand you mentioned is one I would definitely stay away from though...not sure where you got your info but I called them, because the % of reservatrol is not stated on their labels on their site, and the optimized reservatrol is rated at 35% transverat and it has no more than 10mg of emodin per pill and each pill is 250mg--that's a lot of emodin! The one you refer to, their 100mg rserveratrol is 50% on the root and 35% trasver coming from the grape--and 2.1 mg emodin per capsule...good luck trying to figure out just how much of each is in a 100mg dose--but not much and that's a lot of emodin you're getting if you're taking more than 1 and basically no reservatrol. --Their other 20mg prep of reservatrol is at 50% and it has 2.52 mg emodin per pill--and the last one they sell the Jarrow they didn't have spec for but I would assume it's a 50%--and it's got other stuff in it as well and low strength...so, none of these would seem like a good choice if one is looking for pure 98-99% reservatrol to treat a serious condition--or looking for its optimum benefits. I may be a novice at taking these particular things, but I'm trying my best to pick the best supplements so I have the greatest chance for them to work--and not give me bad side effects because I need to use them very very long term--since I have to have my blood tested every 2 months for the rest of my life--so I'm in a good position to see if these things are actually working. Also, having spoken with Life Extension on the phone where they are reading a script from their computer and before even taking your question they tell me I have 20 minutes on the phone with them, and reading me their disclaimer was a real turn off--regardless of the fact their reservatrol is not good quality. I'm going to start taking their theaflavin as they appear to be the only source for it, though. Thank you.

#6 bentl

• Life Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

-megaresveratrol...this site appears to be a total scam

I have been using their products for years and have had no problems. They post their COA's (Certificate of Assay) on their site. They supply a high quality product at a very competitive price.

I am confused... what made you come to believe that there was anything wrong with them as a supplier?

#7 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

Theaflavins occur in black tea; EGCG in green tea is converted to theaflavins during the fermentation process to make black tea. Some people can benefit from EGCG for breast cancer, but in others it is not bioavailable; the theaflavins in black tea have the same benefits for those who cannot use EGCG.

There are many green tea extracts (EGCG) and few black tea extracts available. EGCG might have the same benefits as theaflavin for your condition but this is an unknown.

You would do best buying resveratrol in bulk powder form given the doses your doctor has recommended. Megaresveratrol and Revgenetics supply decent quality 98% powder at a fairly good price. Some 98% powder has enough emodin in it to have an effect at a 1000 mg dose.

Another substance that has been suggested for multiple myoloma is Zerumbone (an extract from a kind of tropical ginger) but bioavailability issues seem to have prevented it giving good in vivo results, though it worked well against cells in a lab test. But it is rarely available.

At this point curcumin appears to be the best treatment for MML, though at 4 gram and higher doses; Margaret's Corner, a blog you might be familiar with, described heating it in coconut oil as giving the best results as evidenced by blood markers for the disease.

#8 Daisy Neptune

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

in my 2 weeks of research on all these supplements, I came across this from this link--hope it's ok to post here---and their template generic website as well as a few other posts I've seen by Doron, who appears to be the head of this company rubbed me the wrong way in marketing..but, if it works for you--that's good to know...I also think I read something somewhere else on a cancer forum that was negative..but honestly I can't remember..but, not having legit contact info is always something that really bothers me especially with only a website and no brick and mortar store.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------this is copied and pasted from http://forum.lef.org...px?f=35&m=31866

"about megaresveratrol.com. After my disappointing experience with Biotivia, I also had stumbled upon this web-site megaresveratrol.com. I looked up the domain name using whois registry and a phone number in CT supposedly an admin contact. When I called that telephone number the girl who picked up told me it was the wrong number, I recited the number to her to see if I misdialed and she confirmed the number but still said she knew nothing of the company or the person's listed as the contact. That sounded fishy to me. Make your own decisions.

Registrant:
EDW NYC INC
1117 East Putnam Ave Suite 425
Riverside, CT 06878
US
203 979 8144
Fax:203 322 4581

Domain Name: MEGARESVERATROL.COM

Administrative Contact:
rapp, doron doronrapp@hotmail.com
Riverside, CT 06878
US
203 979 8144

Technical Contact:
rapp, doron doronrapp@hotmail.com
Riverside, CT 06878
US
203 979 8144

Record expires on 02-23-2008
Record created on 02-23-2007

Domain servers in listed order:
NS0.DIRECTNIC.COM 204.251.10.100
NS1.DIRECTNIC.COM 206.251.177.2

#9 Daisy Neptune

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

thank you for the clear explanation about the theaflavin...my onco doesn't seem to really know about brands or types--and when given a handout for reserv at some 20mg labeling with a ton of emodin..and then rechecking the mg at 1000 a day with his nurse, I was puzzled...and so began my realization that if not going to a naturapath or a very saavy supplement aware oncol you're left on your own to figure this out..frankly, that's why I thought I would start with 1 x500 pill a day from revge seems like this would be easily equivalent to taking 1000mg of the 50% stuff..does that make sense? Then I was reading about the nitro 250 and it seems like some cancer patients like it..but was a bit leery of the tween in it..not crazy about putting additives into me...but perhaps it's harmless and just hyped up....I was thinking maybe a combo of them..I asked Anthony to comment on another thread..so hopefully he will....if not, I'll email him directly today.

to be fair, re: megaresvratol..thought I would try to call myself, since whois info can change..and it appears that this info is private, so, can't find anything under .com or .net..so perhaps--there was some issue in the past...having relooked at their website..it does seem like it's being used in many places...but..something is telling me I read something somewhere..I think it might be that they were using testimonials that weren't allowed or something or other....but again, if it's a good product, great to know..anyone else using it here..or just the revgenetics stuff?

#10 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

When you quote 1000mg of 50% resveratrol, that usually refers to 1000mg of resveratrol contained in 2000 mg of the 50% supplement. All the resveratrol supplements I've seen are quoted as the amount of resveratrol it contains per dose....not the total amount of material.
  • Needs references x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------this is copied and pasted from http://forum.lef.org...px?f=35&m=31866

"about megaresveratrol.com. After my disappointing experience with Biotivia, I also had stumbled upon this web-site megaresveratrol.com. I looked up the domain name using whois registry and a phone number in CT supposedly an admin contact. When I called that telephone number the girl who picked up told me it was the wrong number, I recited the number to her to see if I misdialed and she confirmed the number but still said she knew nothing of the company or the person's listed as the contact. That sounded fishy to me. Make your own decisions.

Registrant:
EDW NYC INC
Riverside, CT 06878
US
203 979 8144

Record expires on 02-23-2008

Domain servers in listed order:
NS0.DIRECTNIC.COM 204.251.10.100
NS1.DIRECTNIC.COM 206.251.177.2

Am unfamiliar with this company but you seem to have stumbled across expired registration data. Don't know if its any more correct, but here's the current registration record:

Administrative Contact:
DE, D.E. info@megaresveratrol.com
60 Newtown Rd.
Danbury, CT 06810
US
Fax:2037988287

Technical Contact:
DE, D.E. info@megaresveratrol.com
60 Newtown Rd.
Danbury, CT 06810
US
Fax:2037988287

Record last updated 12-10-2009 08:17:24 AM
Record expires on 02-23-2016

Btw, I 2nd the suggestion to consider Revgenetics bulk M98 Resveratrol. It was out of stock for a while but I see its available again on their web site. It may be a little more expensive than other 98% bulk sources but it is micronized and thus has enhanced absorption. For 98% regular bulk product, I would suggest you consider a sample from kingherbs.com. I've used both of these suppliers and consider them top notch.

Howard

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users