• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

How long before you feel the effect of Mucuna Pruriens?

mucuna pruriens dopamine dopa l-dopa how long effect

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 calm--

• 127 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:37 AM

I've took Now Dopa Mucuna for 2 days, and so far nothing. 1 cap is 400mg with 15% L-Dopa. First day I took 1, second day I took 2 caps, both in the morning.

How long before you start feeling anything from this? What is the short-term and long-term effect do you feel?

#2 Galaxyshock

• 1,460 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

Take on empty stomach. It may cause slight stomach discomfort in about 30 minutes and effects kick in around 1 hour (2 caps was my preferred good dose on Now brand extract). That is if you respond to it. If you don't, consider green tea extract (EGCG) to potentiate it. Other herbs that increase the stimulative effect: Schisandra, Rhodiola, Echinacea, Fo-Ti and Quercetin ; Rhodiola being the most stimulating of all. It should also boost caffeine so a cup of coffee could go nice with it. Actually a cup of green tea could be good too as it would cover both caffeine and EGCG along with other flavonoids etc. in it. Mucuna is one of my favourite herbs, I prefer the whole plant in powdered form lately though as it's most likely safest choice long-term.

Improved mood, sense of wellbeing, libido, motivation, strength and muscle mass are goods I get from it.

Negatives are usually minimal short-term but in daily or excessive use (for me): restlessness, anxiety, fever-like symptoms, muscle cramps, mucus build-up in throat

So take breaks from it and watch out if side effects start to emerge. You may want to balance the extract with a serotonin-precursor like 5-HTP or tryptophan. With full-spectrum herb that doesn't seem to be necessary.

Edited by Galaxyshock, 28 March 2013 - 11:04 AM.

• like x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 calm--

• Topic Starter
  • 127 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

Thanks. I've been taking it with food like what the bottle said. I usually had acid reflux problem when taking herbs that could cause it on empty stomach, but I'll take a chance with this one. I've also been taking a glass of green tea with it.

#4 calm--

• Topic Starter
  • 127 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

Thought I'll give a little update. Last couple days I've been trying mucuna on empty stomach, taking it with a glass of green tea, taking it with Rhodiola, but still nothing. I guess it won't work for me.

#5 Galaxyshock

• 1,460 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:36 AM

Some don't respond to it for some reason. For me there have been times when I've responded really well to it, negatively to it and also not getting any effects. Must have something to do with catecholamine-transmission, tyrosine hydroxylase and other brain activity... If you decide to play with stimulants you may find it suddenly works and helps with the comedowns. When it worked really well to me I had been using a lot of preworkout stims and stuff, and felt lethargic at baseline, and Mucuna provided a great mood boost.
  • Informative x 1

#6 spermidine

• 191 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:42 AM

no it takes a long term supplimentation to work and usually you up the dose a bit here and there and one day you start noticing anxiety and very irritating hornyness a la yohimbe but much more tolerable. it usually occurs unexpected and sudden so dont be all excited waiting for it. double the dose and take it daily 1 week more and then abandon if its still not working. a lot of mucuna pruriens are not extracted properly to contain exact amount of l-dopa because of one way or another usually related to the fact that its considered a drug, not a supplement if too high percent.

Edited by spermidine, 06 April 2013 - 07:44 AM.

• dislike x 2
  • Ill informed x 1
  • like x 1

#7 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

Infinity?

No effect ever for me.

#8 spermidine

• 191 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

yeh well if it didnt work for you, perhaps you dont have issues with whatever you expected to work with and/or you had bad quality supplement. either way, dont vote me down for what i have recomended ktnx

btw i was taking 1-2 grams eventually. because as the label states 15% L-Dopa it means in 1 gram but each capsule is much less so you need take several and still 15% L-Dopa is not much compared to the drug form sold which is 99% or so. thats a huge difference in effect, trust me !

Edited by spermidine, 06 April 2013 - 07:02 PM.

#9 airplanepeanuts

• 352 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

With a high L-Dopa extract you feel it instantly.
  • Agree x 1

#10 **DEACTIVATED**

• Validating/Suspended
  • 120 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:40 AM

Can someone please briefly comment on Deprenyl + Mucuna Pruriens?

Is it safe for chronic use?

Will be getting some tomorrow and trying it out at 2mg/day deprenyl

#11 Galaxyshock

• 1,460 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

Can someone please briefly comment on Deprenyl + Mucuna Pruriens?

Is it safe for chronic use?

Will be getting some tomorrow and trying it out at 2mg/day deprenyl

Hard to say. L-DOPA and deprenyl are both used anti-parkinson's effectively and obviously must potentiate each other. Rhodiola and Fo-Ti are MAOB-inhibitors and usually go fine with Mucuna. With quercetin (also MAOB-I) I had some issues though with tension headaches and worsened side effects (altough it may also be the COMT-inhibition). Since selegiline is irreversible MAOB-inhibitor and for example activates oral Phenylethylamine at much lower doses I would be cautious with Mucuna and start with low dose. Are you going to use extract or full herb? It seems that the whole herb may be safest choice long-term as its other constituents have neuroprotective activity and modulate the effects of L-DOPA.

#12 **DEACTIVATED**

• Validating/Suspended
  • 120 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

Is everyone 100% sure quercentin is MAOBI? I recently spoke with someone who says otherwise. I have no idea who to believe.

Anyway,

I suppose I'll be trying the herb then. My main goal with mucuna is raising HGH levels at night. So, if I can't dig up any literature on the herb enhancing HGH than I'll just look elsewhere in the supplement world.

I can't find a discussion over these two in combination anywhere on the net so it'd be nice to get further input.

#13 ron45

• 207 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:45 AM

I tried some mucuna purr. today. I got extract from Herbal Island. Very fine powder. Good price, Put some under my tongue and noticed it pretty quickly. I think it was a quarter teaspoon. It felt similar to 2 grams of piracetam. Taste: between salty and acidic, not to intense.  Stuck around for a while but pretty mild. Just did some more with my regular stuff. Mine is the 15% kind. I had no problems with stomach discomfort,  tho I'm sure I swallowed some of it. 

Ron

yeh well if it didnt work for you, perhaps you dont have issues with whatever you expected to work with and/or you had bad quality supplement. either way, dont vote me down for what i have recomended ktnx

btw i was taking 1-2 grams eventually. because as the label states 15% L-Dopa it means in 1 gram but each capsule is much less so you need take several and still 15% L-Dopa is not much compared to the drug form sold which is 99% or so. thats a huge difference in effect, trust me !

hi, what would you consider high Ld percentage?

#14 ron45

• 207 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:50 PM

Reading on Examine again, the dosage is about FIVE grams. I still haven't taken that much but the taste is not the least bit off putting, kind of tart/acidic I just put 2 grams under my tongue to see if a bigger ant. tasted worse. Tho everyone has different tolerances for the various tastes i.e.sweet, sour.astringent, bitter, salt, I think that's all of them, this is no problem at that amount for me. I tends to get in a little clump and disappear over ten minutes or so. Reading else where I just saw five to 7 teaspoons. That's quite a bit more than 5 grams. One probably wouldn't want to start that high. If you search mucuna pruriens dosage you will come across some emails describing the  caution needed to not burn out your dopamine uptake system. Also farther down in those emails is a recovery regimen for rejuvenating the dopaminergic pathways. Here is a link to the thread with the rejuve post. Other good advise also.

Ron

#15 knightly

• 75 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:06 PM

• Maybe the product you are taking is bullshit?.

• Good Point x 1

#16 Samuraidream

• 81 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:08 AM

Reading on Examine again, the dosage is about FIVE grams. I still haven't taken that much but the taste is not the least bit off putting, kind of tart/acidic I just put 2 grams under my tongue to see if a bigger ant. tasted worse. Tho everyone has different tolerances for the various tastes i.e.sweet, sour.astringent, bitter, salt, I think that's all of them, this is no problem at that amount for me. I tends to get in a little clump and disappear over ten minutes or so. Reading else where I just saw five to 7 teaspoons. That's quite a bit more than 5 grams. One probably wouldn't want to start that high. If you search mucuna pruriens dosage you will come across some emails describing the  caution needed to not burn out your dopamine uptake system. Also farther down in those emails is a recovery regimen for rejuvenating the dopaminergic pathways. Here is a link to the thread with the rejuve post. Other good advise also.

Ron

Could you share that link, please? Or PM it to me if possible. Thanks!

#17 deeptrance

• 267 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 07:03 AM

A knowledgeable mucuna buyer has recently stopped recommending mucuna on her website due to the fact that she is unable to locate any quality product in recent months. She says the good stuff has a pleasantly rich, earthy taste, which is what the mucuna I used to take tasted like. I found her website after I received a batch of mucuna 15% extract today and  tasted it. It didn't taste anything like the mellow earthy/nutty flavor of the other mucuna I had, instead it's tart or acrid. So I searched online for a reliable description of the look and taste of it and found out that I probably have a bad product.

I think what may be happening is that some companies are selling just random cheap herb powders with added l-dopa, or in some cases they're not even bothering to add the l-dopa. And in still other cases, it's really mucuna but it's harvested prematurely, prepared improperly, of from inferior strains. This whole business of buying and selling herbs is a minefield and we should never assume that what we think we're buying is what we actually receive. It's an unfortunate reality. I received what was supposed to be valerian from a formerly-trusted company, and it's absolutely NOT valerian but the company is in complete denial about it, as if they're incapable of making any mistakes. For anyone who has ever smelled, seen, and tasted valerian, you'd know how easy it is to recognize. What I received was exactly like chicory powder!

In fact, of the dozen or so powders I received today, I'm suspicious of at least half of them. They just don't taste anything like I'd expect, but I'm unfamiliar with a few of them so I have no basis for comparison.

#18 tn22

• 11 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:36 PM

Does anyone know roughly how many teaspoons is 5 grams? And how to take it palatably?

#19 deeptrance

• 267 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:28 AM

Does anyone know roughly how many teaspoons is 5 grams? And how to take it palatably?

High quality mucuna tastes really good, so you might have some of the slightly sour stuff that is going around. 5 grams should amount to about 2 level teaspoons. It's different for each substance but for most mucuna extracts a teaspoon is between 2 and 3 grams.

You can eat almost anything no matter how bad it tastes, if you just remind yourself that the taste experience is very temporary and you pay attention to the unique quality of each flavor, no matter how bitter, sour, or whatever it is. You could also just chase it with a strong-tasting beverage. You're taking a large amount, though, so I know there could be a gag reflex. Maybe for you it would be best to buy it in capsule form, or buy some empty capsules. You'll have to take several of them but it might be worth it to avoid feeling like you're going to puke.

Salted peanut butter is great for chasing nasty tastes. It was the only way I could eat peyote way back when I tried that horrific cactus.

Edited by deeptrance, 14 January 2015 - 01:33 AM.

#20 entheogenic

• 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:21 AM

I have some 99% pure L-Dopa Mucuna, and it's white. It's the best.... soo pure.

• Disagree x 1

#21 MKultra

• 71 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 01:37 PM

Got some Mucuna Pruriens today (not the extract), took perhaps a little less than a tea spoon in the morning, nothing much happened.

Took another dose a few minuites ago (large teaspoon) with coffee, will see what happens.. The taste is very good, i guess it tastes like bean powder, quite neutral.

Edited by MKultra, 03 April 2017 - 01:38 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#22 Paravani

• 38 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 04:47 PM

About a week ago, I started taking M pruriens extract with l-dopa content 20%. I was taking 1 gram, so about 200mg l-dopa. I felt a little less cranky, that was it. I'm taking sufficient B vitamins, l-tyrosine, etc. to support increased neurotransmitters, and 5-HTP to augment my serotonin, so there shouldn't be any reason for l-dopa supplementation not to work.

I'm just older, and my neurotransmitters are flagging due to age.

A couple of days ago I took a second dose of l-dopa in the afternoon.

Wow! My brain took off like a rocket! I started doing stuff that has needed to be done for a long time -- getting organized, cleaning house, setting things up for the holidays. And I actually woke up SINGING yesterday!

Now I'm taking two doses daily.

Mood is up, motivation is up, activity level is through the roof. I've been so busy that my back actually aches a little from simply running around doing stuff -- nothing strenuous, just a lot more activity than my usual sedentary sluggishness.

Fortunately I'm taking enough anti-aging supplements to support my muscles and metabolism as they adjust to this greatly increased level of activity. Other than a little backache, I feel GREAT!

This stuff is working better than any of the ADHD meds I've ever been prescribed, and without the jitters or spaciness.

If it's not helping you, and you're sure that the rest of your brain chemistry is good, maybe you just need to increase the dose?

400mg x 15% is only 60mg. That's way below the recommended initial dosage of 150mg. You'd need to take 1000mg of your Mucuna supplement to get just 150mg of l-dopa from it -- and that's if you're certain that the supplement is as strong as they claim.

Anyway, my results have been so dramatic, and SO excellent, I'd certainly try to tweak the dose before giving up on it completely.

Edited by Paravani, 18 December 2021 - 05:05 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mucuna pruriens, dopamine, dopa, l-dopa, how long, effect

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users