- - - - -

Antioxidants causing hypoglycemia

antioxidant hypoglycemia

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 leanguy

• 65 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:44 AM

I have tried googling this, but couldn't find a satisfactory explanation of why many potent antioxidants cause hypoglycemia. I've had this effect from pycnogenol, alpha lipoic acid, ecklonia cava and others. Other than this annoying side effect, I really like the way I feel on ecklonia cava.

#2 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:46 AM

A lot of antioxidant supplements are also insulin sensitizers, among many other interesting effects including those on cell proliferation for example. Lipoic acid is used as a diabetes drug in europe for this reason. . Here's an article for you:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC1448694/

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 leanguy

• Topic Starter
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:01 AM

A lot of antioxidant supplements are also insulin sensitizers, among many other interesting effects including those on cell proliferation for example. Lipoic acid is used as a diabetes drug in europe for this reason. . Here's an article for you:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC1448694/

Thanks for the article. That makes sense. I wonder if the body would eventually adapt and produce less insulin, and less hypoglycemia? I haven't been able to stay on for more than a week due to middle of the night crashes.

#4 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:02 AM

Lipoic acid improves glucose utilization and increases insulin sensitivity. . It may cause hypoglycemia in someone with blood sugar levels less than 75.
" Lipoic acid acutely induces hypoglycemia in fasting nondiabetic and diabetic rats "
http://www.sciencedi...026049599901129
Re: pycnogenol . " Pine bark extract inhibits glucose transport in enterocytes via mitogen-activated kinase and phosphoinositol 3-kinase "
" Pine bark extract (PBE) has been reported to have hypoglycemic effects but its mode of action is still unclear."
Conclusion
Pine bark extract inhibits glucose absorption by p38 mitogen-activated kinase and constitutes a potential complementary therapeutic or prophylactic agent for diabetes and its complications.
http://www.sciencedi...899900710002261

These supplements may cause hypoglycemia in someone with borderline glucose levels, or someone fasting. The fact that they are also antioxidants is ancillary . Antioxidants don't cause hypoglycemia .
  • like x 2

#5 Guardian4981

• 248 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

I would have to find the study but Layne Norton on bodybuilding.com had a study where he demonstrated a theory that supplements like Lipoic acid work in part by decreasing the oxidative stress on mitochondria. This causes the mitochondria to process more energy, the increased energy use causes energy needs of the cell to increase and pull in additional nutrients.
  • dislike x 1

#6 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:48 PM

I would have to find the study but Layne Norton on bodybuilding.com had a study where he demonstrated a theory that supplements like Lipoic acid work in part by decreasing the oxidative stress on mitochondria. This causes the mitochondria to process more energy, the increased energy use causes energy needs of the cell to increase and pull in additional nutrients.

This sounds like bro-science. I'll bet Norton doesn't have any evidence to back this up. C60-oo is an antioxidant, and unlike most antioxidants, does seem to enhance mitochondrial efficiency. I don't think there have been any reports of hypoglycemia from it. I think Kevnzworld covered the problem pretty well.
  • like x 1

#7 Guardian4981

• 248 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:13 PM

Leanguy,

I am getting to know you on this forum! Have you found any new information on this topic?

For well over a year I have been struggling with issues. I orginally believed my issues were related to either thyroid or anemia or blood pressure issues. But my labs came back with actually slightly elevated red blood cells and my TSH came in around 3.5 which is higher then I'd like but not awful and my blood pressure was spot on at 120/77 and elevated when standing like it should.

My issues are mostly paresthesia all over my body when first starting to excercise or in heat or stressed. I also get mild headaches occasionally, and I get light headed when I stand up. I also feel as though I have poor circulation, my la lunas on my fingers are nearly non existent except the thumbs. But I do not struggle with weight gain or constipation or hair falling out, all big symptoms of hypothyroid which I dont have.

I now wonder if my issues are from hypoglycemia. The issues started over a year ago at the same time I started using benfotiamine, astaxanthin, and pycnognol. I notice that I feel better after eating. I also notice that if I use cinnamon I feel worse.

But when I had my fasting glucose tested it came in at 90, which is considered healthy and even slightly in the higher end of the range. My issues seem to get worse as the day goes on and I feel my best when I wake up. I have read that our blood glucose tends to be highest when we wake up? Maybe I should get my fasting glucose done later in the day?

I am considering trying panthenine, supposdely it can help raise blood glucose, not to mention its considered really good the the adrenal health. Niacin also raises blood sugar, I have used niacin before and feel better however I tend to get ed and low libido, probably because it raises serotonin and supresses dopamine.

Does glucose levels influence body temeprature? I find if I take my temperatue an hour after eatings its normal, oevr 98, if I take my temperature other times like before bed its lower, like 96.5 degrees.

I do know that hypoglycemia tends to supress T3 production, so perhaps people who have some thyroid symptoms yet not others really have a blood glucose issues rather then a thyroid gland problem.

#8 leanguy

• Topic Starter
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

I now wonder if my issues are from hypoglycemia. The issues started over a year ago at the same time I started using benfotiamine, astaxanthin, and pycnognol. I notice that I feel better after eating. I also notice that if I use cinnamon I feel worse.

I recommend getting a meter at home... they are so cheap these days. My fasting usually comes in around 90 too.

Edited by leanguy, 01 May 2013 - 08:51 PM.

#9 Guardian4981

• 248 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

I recommend getting a meter at home... they are so cheap these days. My fasting usually comes in around 90 too.

Do you have issues with hypoglycemia though?

I feel better after excercise too. Perhaps the excercise helps stimulate cortisol which gets the glucose up.

People with hypothyroid usually feel worse after excercise because they have such little energy to get through it.

#10 leanguy

• Topic Starter
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

Do you have issues with hypoglycemia though?

I feel better after excercise too. Perhaps the excercise helps stimulate cortisol which gets the glucose up.

People with hypothyroid usually feel worse after excercise because they have such little energy to get through it.

Yes, my glucose level sometimes drops to the 50's

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:10 AM

This sounds like bro-science. I'll bet Norton doesn't have any evidence to back this up. C60-oo is an antioxidant, and unlike most antioxidants, does seem to enhance mitochondrial efficiency. I don't think there have been any reports of hypoglycemia from it. I think Kevnzworld covered the problem pretty well.

Today was my third dose of c60 and I experienced a fairly severe hypoglycemic episode. It was definitely the most severe bout of low blood sugar I have experienced, but in all fairness I did not eat all that much today. It got to the point that just crouching and standing back up made me very dizzy and light headed, and resting my feet on a table gave me a tingling, almost falling asleep sensation in my feet.

All this being said, I cannot directly attribute the severity of my hypoglycemia to c60, but it does seem to be a strange coincidence.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antioxidant, hypoglycemia

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users