- - - - -

magnesium citrate vs magnesium sulfate

magnesium

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wurm

• 12 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:30 AM

which is best? how much magnesium elemental in sulfate form? and what's the bioavailbility of sulfate, citrate has this information but not sulfate.
is it better for brain effects? sulfate rise magnesium in brain by 15%, how much for citrate?

#2 norepinephrine

• 219 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

Why are you restricting to just these two? There are much better forms of magnesium in terms of bioavailability and benefit - glycinate, malate, taurate, etc. Different forms may have different preferential targets in the body.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 wurm

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:59 PM

Why are you restricting to just these two? There are much better forms of magnesium in terms of bioavailability and benefit - glycinate, malate, taurate, etc. Different forms may have different preferential targets in the body.

because they're the cheapest, sulfate is the cheapest of all if i could save some bucks on it, i'm trying high doses so i need to buy bulk powder.

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

Sulphate isn't very popular as an oral dose form. I'm not sure why, but I'd guess it's too much of a laxative. Citrate has the same problem in some people. Like norepinephrine said, there are a lot of other forms, some of which may have advantages. Contrary to popular internet opinion, there isn't a huge difference between them as far as correcting deficiency. Even the much-maligned oxide, which is also very cheap, is pretty good. There was a paper published some while back claiming that its bioavailability was only 4%, but that was in error. Some of the counterions, like orotate, are large and heavy, so you need to take a huge dose of the compound in order to get the RDA of elemental magnesium.

I'd be careful with high doses, depending on how high you're talking about. There's such a thing as too much magnesium, and you could hurt yourself if you take too much. What are you taking it for?
  • like x 1

#5 norepinephrine

• 219 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:30 AM

FWIW, I got a 4 month supply of glycinate on Amazon for around $15 dollars. Say you take 2 a day - cost per dosage is 12.5 cents.

#6 wurm

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:17 AM

Sulphate isn't very popular as an oral dose form. I'm not sure why, but I'd guess it's too much of a laxative. Citrate has the same problem in some people. Like norepinephrine said, there are a lot of other forms, some of which may have advantages. Contrary to popular internet opinion, there isn't a huge difference between them as far as correcting deficiency. Even the much-maligned oxide, which is also very cheap, is pretty good. There was a paper published some while back claiming that its bioavailability was only 4%, but that was in error. Some of the counterions, like orotate, are large and heavy, so you need to take a huge dose of the compound in order to get the RDA of elemental magnesium.

I'd be careful with high doses, depending on how high you're talking about. There's such a thing as too much magnesium, and you could hurt yourself if you take too much. What are you taking it for?

citrate doesn't give me laxative effects, so sulfate is branded as a laxative? that's kinda dangerous i don't want to stop my bowels from working.
is there a cheap version of magnesium that doesn't produce laxative effects?
magnesium oxide i had a huge bottle of it from twinlabs, i'm not even sure it did anything, it had a laxative effects but pretty innefective for my issues.
i read about that 4%, so finally does it get to the brain like citrate and sulfate? i'm trying high dose to correct anxiety and have better brain function, i read a paper saying magtein is a fraud and sulfate raises brain magnesium by 15% like magtein.
do you know elemental magnesium per mg of magnesium orotate? i can't find this anywhere, they just list the content of magnesium orotate.
i'm taking between 750-1000mg elemental in powder, half in the morning, half in the evening. what do i risk?

FWIW, I got a 4 month supply of glycinate on Amazon for around $15 dollars. Say you take 2 a day - cost per dosage is 12.5 cents.

how much magnesium elemental in this? if 2 gives 200mg then i would need 7 to 10 a day it would be too costful.
i already tried glycinate that says it's more gentle in your stomach but it doesn't change anything from citrate, i don't get bowel syndrome from citrate.
i don't think you can overdose on citric acid but on glycine yes you can, 10 a day would make something like over 5 grams of glycine that's huge.
http://en.wikipedia...._encephalopathy

#7 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

Dissolved mag citrate actually is sold at Walgreens as a laxative. It takes a lot to have that effect on me, and I never get it period from tabs.

#8 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:49 AM

magnesium oxide i had a huge bottle of it from twinlabs, i'm not even sure it did anything, it had a laxative effects but pretty innefective for my issues.
i read about that 4%, so finally does it get to the brain like citrate and sulfate? i'm trying high dose to correct anxiety and have better brain function, i read a paper saying magtein is a fraud and sulfate raises brain magnesium by 15% like magtein.
do you know elemental magnesium per mg of magnesium orotate? i can't find this anywhere, they just list the content of magnesium orotate.
i'm taking between 750-1000mg elemental in powder, half in the morning, half in the evening. what do i risk?

Oxide is absorbed more slowly than the other forms, but I don't know how effective it is at getting Mg into the brain. Probably not the best. 500mg of Mg Orotate has about 34mg of magnesium, so it's pretty bad. You'd need about 15grams of Mg Orotate to get 1000mg elemental.

Hypermagnesemia can get pretty ugly. Hypotension, altered mental status, bradycardia (slowed heartbeat) and cardiopulmonary arrest are possible outcomes. You're probably not at risk at those doses, but keep an eye out for weird symptoms.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

I would go for citrate, sulfate sure is cheaper but you get 10% elemental versus 16% for citrate.
Bioavailbility is unknown for sulfate while citrate is 90%, it's therefore better to take citrate, at least you know how much you get.
Taking it sparingly doesn't cause hypermagnesemia, if you take 500mg at once two times in the day it's fine, it starts becoming dangerous at 750mg, I had very mild sensation that my hands were sweating when they weren't from this dose.
Hopefully magnesium is rapidly excreted through the kidneys, it's even nephroprotective, it's important to drink enough water also. Therefore these doses won't build up overtime.
Taking a yogurt from time to time or some milk is recommended as chronic high levels of magnesium can deplete calcium a bit too much which isn't good either.
It's good to take magnesium if you suffer from low potassium.

Citrate is also the most nephroprotective magnesium.

Hypocitraturia, a low amount of citrate in the urine, is an important risk factor for kidney stone formation. Citrate in the urine has long been recognized as an inhibitor of calcium salt crystallization. Citrate is the dissociated anion of citric acid, a weak acid that is ingested in the diet and produced endogenously in the tricarboxylic acid cycle. The mean urinary citrate excretion is 640 mg/d in healthy individuals.

I don't know about how much citrate gets into the brain but I can tell you it does work to enhance memory during stressful situations.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: magnesium

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users