- - - - -

B Complex/Vitamin cause panic attack? :O

anxiety panic stress depression b vitamin b complex mood

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chocolatepancakes

• 9 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:22 AM

hi there, so I've been feeling depressed and anxious for quite a while now and I tried a b complex vitamin to try and see if it would help if I am deficient in any b vitamins this could cause anxiety/depression according to some websites so I tried it, this is the one I have been taking http://www.iherb.com...Veggie-Caps/110

Jarrow b right

it has large amounts of the b vitamins but that is said to be okay since they are water soluable and theraputic doses are meant to be good, also it's not high over the maximum tolerable limit, so I've been taking it for 8 days now, I thought I noticed less worry and anxiety but maybe it was a placebo effect, today was the 8th day, on the 7th day (yesterday) i started feeling just bad like irritable more than usual and feeling bad this happened in the evening and then got better, and on the 8th day today I had a low mood and just feeling lower than normal and then I had a panic attack, I was worried about overdosing on it and that's what i was having the panic attack over I felt wierd like something bad was happening, I have not had a panic attack for like 5 years, so do you think this b vitamin is causing these bad effects when it's supposed to help things like this? any theories? what should I do
thanks
  • Agree x 1

#2 BioFreak

• 541 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

You may be chronically under supplied with b vitamins or highly sensitive to them. B vitamins are involved in catecholamine metabolism, so it is possible that you supercharged your catecholamine system after being depleted - the brain needs some time to adjust to this new situation and downregulate/upregulate enzymes, change receptor densities to get your neurotransmitters back to normal. My guess is you have more (nor)adrenaline in your brain then usual, causing the symptoms.
You can either wait and take no further pills, or take them and wait for your brain to adjust.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 golden1

• 681 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

b1, b6, and b12 each can make me feel very uncomfortable in moderate/high doses, to the point that if I weren't familiar with panic attacks I would probably have them as a result. take a smaller amount of them.

#4 BioInfinite

• 54 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:05 AM

Some B-vitamins perform radically different operations to others and have opposite effects on production/regulation of neurotransmitters. If you oversupply an already heightened one that has an energising effect this can be the result. I've learned B-vitamins should be researched and applied one by one for those treating a mental health problem. Minerals are also important in brain function. Magnesium is essential for regulating excitatory states and ensuring calm, Zinc is also essential for mental health but very commonly deficient. Even slight deficiencies in zinc can cause symptoms. Always use chelated minerals, e.g. Zinc gluconate (very effective for me).

If you are interested in treating yourself biochemically with nutrients, check out the book 'Nutrient Power' by William J Walsh PhD. I've only got through 1/3rd of it but its taught me a lot on how to regulate neurotransmitters without drugs.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 Guardian4981

• 248 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

I agree with BioInfinite

B vitamins often have opposing influences, I am not a fan of the typical B complex which is just a superdose of all of them.

Often times some you may be high in while others you are low in. For example some folks can have chronicly high folate levels, others may have very low levels. Either one can cause depression/anxiety.

Best bet is to get individual nutrients at low doses and see how you react. For example vitamin B6 in its common form gives me really awful anxiety, P-5-P at 50 mg seems to help my anxiety. B12 seems to make me feel lethargic. Niacin seems ease anxiety but give me libido issues. Folic acid gives me bad anxiety.

The only B vitamin that seems to help me somewhat with no apparent sides is pantothenic acid.

Edited by Guardian4981, 02 May 2013 - 06:22 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anxiety, panic, stress, depression, b vitamin, b complex, mood

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users