- - - - -

burning in chest, difficulty swallowing, help please

heartburn acid reflux gerd

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 blueinfinity

• 122 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:48 AM

I never really had heartburn or "gerd" (which from my understanding is just chronic heartburn, i may be wrong)

Thats why this is puzzling to me now.

1.starting a bout a month and half ago, I had my first acid reflux in which my esophagus felt like it was burning with swallowing foods, very irritated and swollen.
Also during this time i had a mild pain in my chest that could be felt when breathing deeply this was for about 4-5 days

2.about a week ago a got another episode, same situation lasted about 5-6 days

3.just last night, I got the feeling that something was stuck in my throat, a little different this time, not quite as big as a golfball but the feeling something was lodged, and no matter what i could not get it to go away. Now today i also have a headache

I dont know if this is from alcohol, bulletproof coffee (coffee, 1tbsp grassfed butter, 1 tbsp raw coconut oil), or almost two months ago. I had alcohol poisoning, I do not remember what happened, but someone else mentioned they most likely put a tube down my throat.

Also, since the 2nd episode, I picked up acidophilus, disgestive enzymes, and starting drinking braggs apple cider vinger in water, I dont know what made it go away but it wasnt immediately, it did go away after a couple days.

This third episode, I dont know what caused it, maybe some red wine, but the only thing i can narrow down was the BP coffee, I drank beefore my 2nd episode and thought maybe that was it, so i stopped for several days and yesterday I drank some again just to try and got the slightly different feeling but overall the same pain and more difficulty swallowing.

Ive also been taking daily raw one multi, on and off krill oil, vitamin d supp, and just recently (within last 4 days, artichoke extract and forskolin extract - but that wouldnt explain why i got the first two, i dont think this made it happen)
- but I will drop any/all supps that arent helping me

I dont know if its infection of stomach or gi or acid reflux

I've heard that d-limonene might help, any suggestions and or input would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by blueinfinity, 28 June 2013 - 02:50 AM.

#2 YOLF

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:19 AM

Personally, I use light olive oil to control heart burn and use red wine vinegar as an acid. I would try a shot glass of a light olive oil, extra virgin stuff doesn't seem to work for me. I'd also check this to see if you might have another condition.
http://www.health.co...0528575,00.html

I'm not an expert and your case sounds a little complex though, so I'm not sure how useful my advice will be. Olive oil seems to be good for everything though.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 DePaw

• 239 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:54 AM

GERD and heart burn are often caused by TOO LITTLE stomach acid, not too much. Too little acid means there's not enough acid to signal properly the closing of the valve to the throat so what stomach acid there is escapes into the throat and causes burning. The solution is too increase stomach acid production so the valve stays should. This link is very helpful: http://chriskresser....ee-simple-steps
  • like x 1

#4 blueinfinity

• Topic Starter
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

GERD and heart burn are often caused by TOO LITTLE stomach acid, not too much. Too little acid means there's not enough acid to signal properly the closing of the valve to the throat so what stomach acid there is escapes into the throat and causes burning. The solution is too increase stomach acid production so the valve stays should. This link is very helpful: http://chriskresser....ee-simple-steps

thank you for the thoughts, I do remember coming across this information...

I had trouble sleeping last night due to the pain and it is persisting today, So I went to the doctor as a last resort.

She did not have really anything useful for my immediate situation except to say that I should take prilosec, or some PPI for 3 months and give it time to heal and then i should be fine without it,

Does this sound right? that seems like a long time, even on the box it says take for 2 weeks and stop, but when i asked her about that she said no, take for 3 months.

Im wondering if i should take it for 2 weeks, 3 months (like the doc recommended), or just some betaine (HCL) w/pepsin supplement with some bitters, i dont want to be in pain for much longer, thats for sure

Does anyone know how d-limonene works in comparison to PPI?

Edited by blueinfinity, 28 June 2013 - 07:06 PM.

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:00 AM

If I want to have upper GI problems, all I have to do is drink coffee on an empty stomach. You might consider skipping the coffee and alcohol for a while until things heal up.

Alcohol poisoning? Seriously? They probably did put a tube down your throat so they could pump your stomach. It would be pretty easy to pick up an injury that way, and it might take a while to heal.

If you find that you really want coffee or alcohol, try to use it after a reasonable meal, and don't drink too much of either. I would treat the PPI with a little respect. I've been known to pop the occasional calcium carbonate antacid if I get a little reflux. I think they are not a problem if you aren't making a habit of it.

Edited by niner, 29 June 2013 - 03:02 AM.

• like x 1

#6 DePaw

• 239 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:21 PM

Im wondering if i should take it for 2 weeks, 3 months (like the doc recommended), or just some betaine (HCL) w/pepsin supplement with some bitters, i dont want to be in pain for much longer, thats for sure

Go for the betaine HCL or bitters, etc, not a PPI.

Here's hoe to find your optimal betaine HCL dosage: http://scdlifestyle....w-stomach-acid/

#7 Loveycat

• 12 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

Alcohol is horribly irritating to the whole GI tract! I used to have bad heartburn and reflux when I drank. Also multivitamins, & minerals taken without food are irritating and nauseating. More than a cup or 2 of coffee is pretty rough as well. I would say try to avoid the things that you feel may be the problem, take a few OTC calcium antacid tablets when you feel bad. Also keep yourself propped up with pillows when you sleep & don't sleep on your back. I hope you feel better soon!

#8 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 January 2022 - 01:39 AM

Bad posture can cauase pain in chest/abdomen

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: heartburn, acid reflux, gerd

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users