- - - - -

Is Adrafinil/Modafinil worth it?

modafinil adrafinil energy mental stimulation focus long work shifts

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 SteinBo

• 3 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:14 AM

I've been using a simple citicholine and piracetam stack for the last year and a half. I have noticed a nice improvement in memory and cognitive functionality, however it isn' t really enough for me to get up and going in the morning. And when taken into a late shift doesn't keep me going like I really need to be. I don' t place any blame on either of the drugs, but merely would like to find something that could help with this.

#2 Super Neuro

• 22 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:52 AM

In my opinion, modafinil fails compared to other nootropics in every area except feeling awake. But even then, caffeine works well. Why not save your money, wake up 30 minutes earlier, pop a caffeine pill and sleep for 30 more minutes. When you wake up, you'll already be feeling the caffeine.

I don't even know how much a caffeine pill will cost you because of their price being so negligible. But Modafinil can be like 50 bucks a bottle.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#3 megatron

• 608 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:38 AM

In my opinion, modafinil fails compared to other nootropics in every area except feeling awake. But even then, caffeine works well. Why not save your money, wake up 30 minutes earlier, pop a caffeine pill and sleep for 30 more minutes. When you wake up, you'll already be feeling the caffeine.

I don't even know how much a caffeine pill will cost you because of their price being so negligible. But Modafinil can be like 50 bucks a bottle.

From what I've read, Modafinil clears all mental fatigue. Tolerance to caffeine builds up very quickly, and as of know caffeine has no effect on me anymore. Also, when restarting taking caffeine after breaks to lower tolerance, it doesn't really remove the mental fatigue. For me, it just gives you some more energy to do stuff, but it doesn't really make it easier to focus for studying etc. it just keeps you awake. In other words, it gives you the jitters. If you want to do any kind of mental working requiring intense focus, high dosages of caffeine is not the solution. If you pop a caffeine pill (containing a couple hundred mg caffeine), there's no way you will be able to focus well on theoretical material.

#4 2/1_kiwi

• 16 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:01 AM

From what I've read, Modafinil clears all mental fatigue. Tolerance to caffeine builds up very quickly, and as of know caffeine has no effect on me anymore. Also, when restarting taking caffeine after breaks to lower tolerance, it doesn't really remove the mental fatigue. For me, it just gives you some more energy to do stuff, but it doesn't really make it easier to focus for studying etc. it just keeps you awake. In other words, it gives you the jitters. If you want to do any kind of mental working requiring intense focus, high dosages of caffeine is not the solution. If you pop a caffeine pill (containing a couple hundred mg caffeine), there's no way you will be able to focus well on theoretical material.

You really should stay off it for a while and then test dosage levels. Stay under 200mg a day and you shouldn't have issues with tolerance. And stacked with racetams, caffeine can assist with focus greatly.

My results with modafinil were poor, i just got headaches, felt mentally foggy and then developed insomnia. Wasn't the wonder drug i was hoping at all. When i microdose caffeine 2 times day with my noots, i have sustained energy and focus throughout the day.

#5 JoSho

• 25 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

Figured id jump in , but. question : Ive been taking adrafinil with milk thistle blend caps. Is it safer this way vs just taking adrafinil ?

#6 the_apollo

• 153 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:16 PM

Figured id jump in , but. question : Ive been taking adrafinil with milk thistle blend caps. Is it safer this way vs just taking adrafinil ?

Since adrafinil at cronic use may have heptotoxic properties, taking milk thistle is considered a good thing since it's said to have liver protective and repairing properties.

• Ill informed x 1
  • like x 1

#7 TVO

• 161 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:29 PM

I plan on starting adrafinil, but I do plan on cycling it every other day. Will report back its efficacy.

#8 JoSho

• 25 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:53 AM

So far , the adrafinil caps with milk thistle in them work really well ! I took 3 in 4-5 hour seg doses to stay up till morning, starting at 5pm, 9pm,230am .
they are 300mg adra and 200mg MT
After this i take 3 days off..
If I use during day for fatigue, I just take 1. then 1 day off.

#9 mrd1

• 460 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

This morning I just took 1200mg of adrafinil confounded with 30mg of adderall xr, 80mg of strattera, and 75mg of Effexor (Rx) and about 30mg of noopept 7mg of sunifiram 1750mg of ginko 1250mg of brewers yeast 500mg inositol 500mg lions mane 125mg of sulbutamine 250mg uridine 250mg alpha gpc 125 mg of choline cdp 175mg milk thistle 200mg aniracetam 750mg piracetam 640mg of rhodila rosea 125mg l tryptophan 600mg panax ginseng 300mg ashwaganda 1500mg taurine 400mg of samE

Effects-
Extreme libido
Lots of talking (from intro to extreme extrovert)
Moderate to intense feelings of happiness and joy
Extreme focus
Mild stomach discomfort
Mild to moderate increase in locomotor stimulation (ex fidgeting)
Extremely rich sounding magnificant music and appreciation for both music and poetry
Nonexistent fatigue
"feelings of being in control of ones behaviors and future" Optimism
love for people
love for sex
love for music
love for movement
Mild dry mouth
Moderate anxiety that is not noticeable because overwhelmed by extreme happiness
Feeling of taking life by the horns and living in the fast lane
Feelings of confidence
Feelings of creativity
feelings of expression of my feelings
feelings of zeal for life every moment
Increase value of things like sex and music and a decreased value of material objects
Feeling of the ability to just point and sustain attention on anything
extreme general excitedness almost like I want to just hug everyone and jump up and down like a teenage girl who just got a date with "that boy"
a feeling of closeness to my friends
mild muscle tension
very mild hand shake seems to be from tension
a over all feeling of extreme blessing and awe.

vasoconstriction
longer time till orgasm
infinitely more intense orgasms

increase in planning organization and general metacognition
effortless ability to follow through on tasks
able to give more complete thoughts and say exactly what I want to get out
feeling like I can "see the bigger picture"

overwhelming urge to create and express myself
feeling like ima cry from the sound of music
mildly elevated heart rate

a moderate to extreme decrease in appetite
feeling more awake on 3 hours of sleep than I ever have in my life
feeling the urge to just dance and jam out to music

wanting to just hug everyone I see because I love them soooo much and I love them like errrrrrrrrrrrrrr they just are sooo amazing!!!

repetitive motions in response to music example sways or head bobbing not really controllable it just happens even while typing this its just like I need to get out how this music makes me feeel!
wanting to hug my screen
awareness of textures and the sensations of typing and breathing and my eyes and my head and neck and just ahhhhhhhh

vibrate when try to sit perfectly still
increased urination possibly
mild constant smile
feeling of mental calmness like everything is perfect and exactly how it should be
goosebumps
feeling of warmth despite only in a wifebeater almost like I am under the cover
extremely enhanced appreciation of the female body

feeling like the answer just comes creatively to me like I think below conscious though by just when I am stuck just smiling and being aware till it comes handed to me perfectly.

Able to reconsider my plans and if it is really the best thing to be doing and what is really valuable almost like micro sessions of metacognition and incite in a 5 min basis.
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 3
  • dislike x 2

#10 Kyle McGill

• 57 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:29 PM

Wow.

#11 dami79

• 20 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:16 AM

Placebo
  • Well Written x 1
  • Agree x 1

#12 BigGreenMat

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:14 AM

My experience with Modafinil is that it is definitely worth taking, but I wouldn't use it as an everyday substance. When I use it for crunching through information I find it FAR outperforms piracetam, but can also really exacerbate issues like headache or jaw pain. That said for more everyday use I have been enjoying Piracetam with Lecithin, which gives me a pretty clear feeling. If I want to kick it up a notch DMAE and L-Arginine stacked really makes me fly. That said I have found Modafinil makes me RAZOR sharp in recall and lets me read very specifically without losing my train of thought. I hope that answers your question.
  • like x 1

#13 mrd1

• 460 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:32 AM

It is extremely improbable to shake off all of the reported claims of adrafinil or modafinil given the pretty large body of research and modern medical usage. If adrafinil and modifinil are placebos than can anyone suggest a stronger and equally well researched compound/herbal supplement. Side note: "10,000 years of ancient practice is nice but not a replacement to suggest a more useful alternative."

With that said I do think many of the reported effects are a placebo.

However, with that said it is undoubted that both adrafinil and modafinil are both fairly potent and definitely active compounds with possible usefulness in certain populations.

But, will not make you grow wings.
  • like x 2
  • Well Written x 1
  • Agree x 1

#14 boythatssomebreath

• 88 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:51 AM

This morning I just took 1200mg of adrafinil confounded with 30mg of adderall xr, 80mg of strattera, and 75mg of Effexor (Rx) and about 30mg of noopept 7mg of sunifiram 1750mg of ginko 1250mg of brewers yeast 500mg inositol 500mg lions mane 125mg of sulbutamine 250mg uridine 250mg alpha gpc 125 mg of choline cdp 175mg milk thistle 200mg aniracetam 750mg piracetam 640mg of rhodila rosea 125mg l tryptophan 600mg panax ginseng 300mg ashwaganda 1500mg taurine 400mg of samE

Effects-
Extreme libido
Lots of talking (from intro to extreme extrovert)
Moderate to intense feelings of happiness and joy
Extreme focus
Mild stomach discomfort
Mild to moderate increase in locomotor stimulation (ex fidgeting)
Extremely rich sounding magnificant music and appreciation for both music and poetry
Nonexistent fatigue
"feelings of being in control of ones behaviors and future" Optimism
love for people
love for sex
love for music
love for movement
Mild dry mouth
Moderate anxiety that is not noticeable because overwhelmed by extreme happiness
Feeling of taking life by the horns and living in the fast lane
Feelings of confidence
Feelings of creativity
feelings of expression of my feelings
feelings of zeal for life every moment
Increase value of things like sex and music and a decreased value of material objects
Feeling of the ability to just point and sustain attention on anything
extreme general excitedness almost like I want to just hug everyone and jump up and down like a teenage girl who just got a date with "that boy"
a feeling of closeness to my friends
mild muscle tension
very mild hand shake seems to be from tension
a over all feeling of extreme blessing and awe.

vasoconstriction
longer time till orgasm
infinitely more intense orgasms

increase in planning organization and general metacognition
effortless ability to follow through on tasks
able to give more complete thoughts and say exactly what I want to get out
feeling like I can "see the bigger picture"

overwhelming urge to create and express myself
feeling like ima cry from the sound of music
mildly elevated heart rate

a moderate to extreme decrease in appetite
feeling more awake on 3 hours of sleep than I ever have in my life
feeling the urge to just dance and jam out to music

wanting to just hug everyone I see because I love them soooo much and I love them like errrrrrrrrrrrrrr they just are sooo amazing!!!

repetitive motions in response to music example sways or head bobbing not really controllable it just happens even while typing this its just like I need to get out how this music makes me feeel!
wanting to hug my screen
awareness of textures and the sensations of typing and breathing and my eyes and my head and neck and just ahhhhhhhh

vibrate when try to sit perfectly still
increased urination possibly
mild constant smile
feeling of mental calmness like everything is perfect and exactly how it should be
goosebumps
feeling of warmth despite only in a wifebeater almost like I am under the cover
extremely enhanced appreciation of the female body

feeling like the answer just comes creatively to me like I think below conscious though by just when I am stuck just smiling and being aware till it comes handed to me perfectly.

Able to reconsider my plans and if it is really the best thing to be doing and what is really valuable almost like micro sessions of metacognition and incite in a 5 min basis.

Holy crap! I can't imagine what it would be like to be on a stack like this - the biggest stack I take is the ten months of research stack (all dosages cut in half). I would love to have a conversation with you while you are on this stack - I probably couldn't keep up, but it would be fun to try...lol I've been researching Adrafinil recently, as I have ADD and thought it might benefit my condition, most notably, I have no motivation. I get the sense that many people are not taking this substance - most threads seem to die out very quickly. Is there anyone out there taking this substance weekly? Has anyone been using it long-term with good results?
  • like x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#15 jsavage

• 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:26 AM

I've taken Modafinil for over a year. I took it daily most of the time. I recently quit. Having now switched to racetams, I can tell you that I would pick a racetam over Modafinil any day of the week if my goal was cognitive improvement. I do not personally consider Modafinil/Armodafinil/Adrafinil a nootropic. I have a bottle full of Modafinil that I haven't touched in months and another full of Provigil. The only time I would consider taking it again is if I needed to stay up for an extended period of time because that's really the only advantage it gave me. I've taken it a few times to study for finals over a few days with no sleep at all. While it did a great job of keeping me awake, it did absolutely nothing to counter the effects of sleep deprivation. I still felt sleep deprived most of the time, I just wasn't fighting off sleep. Neither did I find that it improved cognition or memory at all. There was more focus while on it, but nothing I can't now get from a recetam stack without the nasty side effects. Your mileage may vary. I've heard that it's being studied as a treatment for ADD/ADHD, so it may have some use to you in that regard.

#16 ranza

• 50 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

I've taken Modafinil for over a year. I took it daily most of the time. I recently quit. Having now switched to racetams, I can tell you that I would pick a racetam over Modafinil any day of the week if my goal was cognitive improvement. I do not personally consider Modafinil/Armodafinil/Adrafinil a nootropic. I have a bottle full of Modafinil that I haven't touched in months and another full of Provigil. The only time I would consider taking it again is if I needed to stay up for an extended period of time because that's really the only advantage it gave me. I've taken it a few times to study for finals over a few days with no sleep at all. While it did a great job of keeping me awake, it did absolutely nothing to counter the effects of sleep deprivation. I still felt sleep deprived most of the time, I just wasn't fighting off sleep. Neither did I find that it improved cognition or memory at all. There was more focus while on it, but nothing I can't now get from a recetam stack without the nasty side effects. Your mileage may vary. I've heard that it's being studied as a treatment for ADD/ADHD, so it may have some use to you in that regard.

From my observation modafinil is NOT something that will allow anyone to pull off science-all-nighters.
It's good to counter caffeine dependency and fight day time sleepiness, but at high dosages (more than 100mg of modafinil or more than 75mg of armodafinil - for those of you who are healthy) can hinder understanding of abstract concepts.
It seems to me that I study best while on caffeine, but the effects are short lived and modafinil saves me from becoming and intellectual zombie before I recover for a next coffee trip.
It's not like modafinil doesn't have other benefits - as one meta study greatly summed it up - "it makes everything you do more bearable and more enjoyable"

Therefore I'm able to study longer, though not at full capacity as on caffeine, so I often try to mix both.

Important thing to notice here though, is that, coffee can really differ between one brand and another and for now I have no way to tell which one's better.

#17 mrd1

• 460 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:45 AM

I am amazed at the strong effects you guys have off such small doses. I take 225 mg of armodafinil everyday for narcolepsy. It was really annoying to get. IMO, it definitely feels much cleaner than caffeine. However, the wakefulness id get from it wouldn't be much different from maybe 3 or 4 cups of caffeine. Maybe narcolepsy makes some much less reactive to stimulants because I will typically also consume 55 mg of adderall xr and over a gram of caffeine/day.

I honestly just don't see how anyone could afford modafinil or armodafinil w.o a script. I checked what my armodafinil is $690 dollars per 30 tabs of 225 mg.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#18 Ultravioletbllc

• 219 posts
  • Location:From Hartford (Just 1/1/2014) Moved too Boston (jamica Plains)

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:35 PM

well due to the d2 receptor properties....( albeit at the risk of hepa affects (which I am attempting too mediate vis a vis glisOdin(2-3 times weekly) , silymarin a and b(only on days when I consume adrafinil) , inositol , jarrow formulas resveratrol synergy, and 50 mg caps of pterostilbene(the only one that is a constant in my stack) I Personally Have too stick with adrafinil It does help me with my adhd in doses around 200-300 mgs BID , I cycle adrafinil/deprenyl though and it used as an augmentation for my first line which is a stack (which is Stablon, sunifiram ,phenylpiracetam, high dose omega 3, DLPA, low dose deplin, and an NMDA inhibition stack ),

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: modafinil, adrafinil, energy, mental stimulation, focus, long work shifts

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users