group buy groupbuy group buy policy longecity

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:24 PM

Attached File  groupbuy2.png   28.43KB   5 downloads

Some LongeCity users and even some Members have expressed an interest in engaging in 'group buys' - collective purchasing of a substance which is then shared privately and used for research, recreational or health reasons.

LongeCity is not about buying supplements. Our mission is "to conquer the blight of involuntary death" - some substances may be a part of that pursuit.

Regarding the concept of 'group buys': LongeCity is and has always been in favour of informed consumer choice, supportive of grass-roots community projects and mindful of the fact that scientific boundaries in this area are constantly being pushed.
On the other hand we are not aware that there is a market failure which absolutely necessitates collective purchasing for scientific or health reasons.

Therefore, LongeCity will *not officially* support, orchestrate or endorse any 'group buy' initiative.
The fact that our platform for information exchange is also used for information exchange about 'group buys' entitles no one to anything, and we specifically give no protections to participants whatsoever and no guarantee that accounts, tools, access rights, communication channels etc that LongeCity provides at any time will remain available.

However, we are a members-based organisation and if some members are interested in such activities.

There is a tool that can be used: the new private groups system allows any Member to create their own group and to invite any registered user to join it. This can be used for expert discussions, local chapters, specific projects but also, theoretically, for group buys.
The system is still very much in trial mode, but it should be considered for group buys to avoid 'clogging' the public forums.

Those engaging in a group buy should consider, at their own risk:
- is procuring and import/export of the substance in question lawful in your country?
- is the original manufacturer reliable, responsible and authorised?
- do you trust the persons taking part in the initiative? (to not defraud you, to communicate effectively, to handle the goods responsibly etc.)?
- do you know enough about the substance in the first place?
- what will you do if something goes wrong?

LongeCity leadership will listen to members about experiences with 'group buy' initiatives and private forums. If these turn out to be negative, or if it appears that the tools we provide are being used in contravention of our site rules or to bring LongeCity into disrepute, we will take steps to prevent such activities being associated with LongeCity at all.
  • like x 5
  • dislike x 2

#2 YOLF

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:25 AM

Are registered users able to use this feature? Or just paid members?

#3 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:43 PM

Only Members can open a new private group, but all users can join them.

#4 ScienceGuy

• Life Member
  • 851 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

Brilliant! Thanks Caliban! :)

#5 xsiv1

• 463 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:33 PM

Very cool idea and one where, if properly employed, would benefit members whose trial of various compounds may be cost prohibitive otherwise. Thanks.

#6 Reformed-Redan

• 2,200 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:39 PM

I would suggest to make group buys be made more exclusive for Longecity members in order to help support the forum. Thank you!
  • dislike x 4
  • like x 4

#7 allstargajo

• 50 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:03 AM

I'm sorry to disagree with previous replies but I don't think this new feature is a good thing to be employed.
I understand Longecity's necessity to stay clear of any liability that might arise from all these new "volunteer human trial group buy thing" and also avoid clogging the public forums but I fear all the knowledge/information that will not be created simply because these private forums will do what they are meant to do.. be and keep private. And rest assured that IT WILL BE USED to keep information/knowledge private.

Much as been said already regarding this, particularly in the NSI thread, so I won't bother everyone with that again. I just wanted to 'voice' that not everyone is excited about this. That been said best of luck to all future group buys that employ this feature and long life to Longecity forum.

#8 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:33 PM

... but I fear all the knowledge/information that will not be created simply because these private forums will do what they are meant to do.. be and keep private. And rest assured that IT WILL BE USED to keep information/knowledge private.

I don't see how that would be the case, since anyone can join these groups. These groups may or may not be indexed by search engines- I don't know the details of that, but my guess would be not.

#9 allstargajo

• 50 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:57 AM

I don't see how that would be the case, since anyone can join these groups. These groups may or may not be indexed by search engines- I don't know the details of that, but my guess would be not.

If they dont get indexed then they just might work as invitation-only groups, right? How would you know about them?
I just think that I would be simpler to have the "group buys" moved on to a sub-forum and have robots.txt state not to allow crawl on that sub-forum but I'm just a lurker most of the time so what do I know :)

#10 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:20 PM

LongeCity leadership will listen to members about experiences with 'group buy' initiatives and private forums. If these turn out to be negative, or if it appears that the tools we provide are being used in contravention of our site rules or to bring LongeCity into disrepute, we will take steps to prevent such activities being associated with LongeCity at all. 

It has been suggested that since the statement above was formulated not a single attempted 'group buy' has transpired without some kind of irregularity, fraud, money lost or mismanagement.  Not a single initiative has been successful.

Should they be tolerated at all? 

• like x 1

#11 revoltingmass

• 3 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:55 PM

Caveat emptor... I think they should be allowed and far be it from anyone to imply longecity or imminst is at fault!

• like x 1

#12 YOLF

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:18 AM

Yeah, but it's getting to be nuisance. If there is always a problem, either the lab is sending fakes, the buy leader is making off with the money, or something else happens. We can't let our members be bilked like this. We'd be better off managing these for our members with reputable labs that everyone knows etc. 

#13 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 04:45 AM

Members want to do group buys, and they are big boys and girls.  We shouldn't be nannies to them.  It doesn't have to be a nuisance if we just tell them they're on their own.   The NR group buy didn't have any irregularities of consequence, and there is a GHK/GHK-Cu group buy underway that appears to be going well.  Both of these are recent.  I suggest we leave well enough alone.

• like x 1

#14 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:11 PM

Yeah, but it's getting to be nuisance. If there is always a problem, either the lab is sending fakes, the buy leader is making off with the money, or something else happens. We can't let our members be bilked like this. We'd be better off managing these for our members with reputable labs that everyone knows etc. 

For future reference, we will not manage group buys because of legal and financial liability.

In the case of Vimmortal (kind-of similar), members (not LongeCity) created the product and all liability was assumed by the manufacturer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: group buy, groupbuy, group, buy, policy, longecity

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users