• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

Hello from Massachusetts USA

massachusetts

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Murraythemailman

• 19 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:48 PM

Hello I am a 32 yo male from Massachusetts and have been lurking for a couple months around this forum. I have been taking racetams and supplements for the past month or so and have found a plethora of information on this site. Just dropping a line and saying hello. Hope everyone has a good day. Dennis
  • like x 2

#2 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:39 PM

Nice to e-meet you, I'm in Massachusetts too -I think there are a fair amount of members in the area.
  • like x 1

#3 Murraythemailman

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:47 PM

Good to hear from a fellow mass hole. Hahah.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 mealz13

• Life Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:01 PM

Mass holes Unite! lol

#5 AMKR

• 7 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:21 AM

Haha - seemed redundant to post (or repost) my introduction from the main intro forums, but Im also from massachusetts, grew up in Salem, MA - lived in Beverly and Lowell for a spell, Currently residing in Reading, MA! (Northshore) Whats up Longecity?! haha.

-AMKR

#6 AMKR

• 7 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:32 AM

Nice to e-meet you, I'm in Massachusetts too -I think there are a fair amount of members in the area.

Interesting - so New England is rather abundant with people interested in enhance longevity and cognition 8-).

*Random sorta off topic factoid lol - my great great great (.....it goes on) grandfather was Myles Standish, on my mothers side (Passenger on the Mayflower and established the first settlement - Plymouth Rock/County, had the 'first encounter' with Native Americans but urged the englishmen not to fire the muskets unnecessarily, and also worked as the right hand man of the first governer William Bradford). When we did our family tree, I wasnt expecting any historical figures to come up haha or anyone especially significant. Especially someone like that. Other than what I said above I know next to nothing about the guy though haha.

Yeah, random but I thought it was kinda cool/worth mentioning.

#7 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:01 PM

There is a meeting of area cryonicists I will be at this Wed June 11th at:
The Middle East Restaurant and Nightclub
472 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA

I'm in Northbridge MA but travel into Boston often.
  • like x 1

#8 AMKR

• 7 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:28 PM

There is a meeting of area cryonicists I will be at this Wed June 11th at:

The Middle East Restaurant and Nightclub

472 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA

I'm in Northbridge MA but travel into Boston often.

Cool - Boston (with good traffic) is like a 30-40 min drive from here. Is it open to the public? Do you need tickets (if so how much?)? I know the Middle East - do they often do conventions/meetings like this? Never been to a show there, I thought they were mostly a venue for touring musicians. I know theres an upstairs and downstairs - is one dedicated to nightclub/music and the other to meetings such as these?

Cryogenics/the cryonic process have always been of interest to me - I'd be highly interested in attended if possible. Are there any prerequisites to attending? Do you know what time the meeting is at? Any info is appreciated :-) - Its been a long time since I've read up on cryogenics - I'd be very interested to see how far the field has come, I understand the mechanics of it all - but Im sure they've pioneer'd some innovations in the field since I first encountered in via Robert Anton Wilsion in classic  "Cosmic Trigger Vol. 1"

- in bar far - the saddest part of the book - discussing the murder of his Daughter Luna WIlson (beaten to death during a burglary at the store she was working at, there are some very interesting synchronicities in the chapter having to do with her journal entry, their last convesation and her being cryongenically preserved.

People from all over the 'thinker' community and admirers of his writings on longevity and immortality, - unbeknownst to him - came to him as benefactors/donated  to have Luna Cryogenically preserverd (Sadly, her body had been so badly damaged/decayed by the time the funds we're raised - that the only option was to cryongenically preserver her brain - in hopes that someday in the future with advances in cloning or transhumanism/posthumanism and brain transplantation that someday - she could be revived.

(You can read the chapter here if you're interested: http://www.allthings...-tragic-death/)

(a little excerpt)

"Then the phone rang and my dear friend, cyberneticist Michael McNeil asked me, gently, if we had considered cryonic preservation for Luna’s body, in the hope that future science would be able to resurrect her.

I was off welfare by then, and earning decent cash regularly from my writing, but it was impossible. “We don’t have that kind of money,” I said.

We can raise it,” Michael said. “Paul Segall and all the people at the Bay Area Cryonics Society will donate their labor free.
        I’ve got pledges for enough money to cover the first year’s expenses…”

“Pledges? Who?” I said stupidly.

“People who appreciate your writings on longevity and immortality, and want to help you now.”

I was stunned. It seemed to me that my writings were still, even with the success of Illuminatus!, known only to small coteries in places like Texas and Missouri. By national standards, I was still very much an unknown.

“Hold on,” I said, and went to talk to Arlen. It was an excruciating moment. We had both felt that cryonic preservation was impossible on our income, and we were trying to accept the death of Luna with all the stoicism and forbearance we could muster. Would it be an unnecessary cruelty to ask Arlen to consider the long-range hope of resurrection? Within a few seconds, after I had stumbled through an explanation, Arlen said, “Yes. Even if it doesn’t work for Luna, every cryonic suspension contributes to scientific knowledge. Somebody, some day, will benefit.”

“Oh, my darling,” I said, beginning to weep again. Like Luna, Arlen was teaching me one more time how to stop the Wheel of Karma, how to take bad energy and turn it into good energy before passing it on.

The next day was a melodrama, since Luna had not died naturally and we were creating a precedent; nobody, anywhere, had ever before tried to cryonically preserve a murder victim. Michael McNeil and Dr. Segall consulted a lawyer before confronting the coroner and the D.A. directly; one false move and we might have lost the gamble, snared in bureaucratic tred tape and police business-as-usual. Fortunately, the coroner turned out to be a most broad-minded man and was immediately captured by the idea of the cryonic gamble.

Then, when all was going well, the next blow fell. Paul Segall called to inform me, haltingly, that Luna’s body had decomposed so far between the murder and the time she was found that cryonic preservation seemed virtually pointless.

“I suggest preservation of the brain,” he said.

I understood at once: that gave us two chances that were thinkable at this time (brain transplant and/or cloning), and who-knows-how-many other scientific alternatives in the future that we cannot imagine now.

“Do it,” I said." ... (it continues on from there)

That part of the book really touched me, it's easily one of my favorite books of all time, and my favorite non-fiction writer period - but this made me tear up and was also warmed by the genorisity of his fans to pledge on Luna's behalf, poor girl didn't even try to stop the burglary or anything - she was just a victim of circumstance and senseless brutality...

I'd really like to know how far the feild has come, and if such a ressurrection even, by todays advanced techniques, within grasp.

#9 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:12 AM

It will be a long time till anyone is brought back, if ever. I think it's worth trying. I'm being interviewed this Sunday by someone interested in what the women in cryonics think and what sort of community there is- should be interesting. The drive to that restaurant is about 50 min for me, many people come that are just interested in cryonics - you certainly don't have to be a member or anything.
I hadn't read that book but knew of Luna's story- thanks for sharing.
  • like x 1

#10 YOLF

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:02 AM

Link to the story doesn't work...

#11 cruithne

• 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:48 PM

West of Boston here, just checking in, looks like no one has in a while.

#12 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:11 PM

I'm West of Boston ! We haven't had a meetup http://meetu.ps/c/cjl7/4jZl/a since December but if you want to meet up I'm available for Cryonics talk - what city are you in?

#13 Robles508

• 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:53 AM

Greetings! I just registered myself. I am also a Mass resident. Lived in Boston for a few years but currently in the Worcester area. Just started looking into nootropics(I have more experience with other forms of enhancement). Do any of you have any idea whether or not Powdercity's products are reliable? I am curious about noopept and various racetams but I want to be sure I'm not ordering duds...

#14 echocharlie

• 8 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 02:46 PM

From what I've seen, PowderCity is generally well-regarded on the Reddit r/nootropics forum (and here) and tests each batch of the items they sell for "purity and harmful contaminants".

While it means little (sample size of 1 and easily subject to a placebo effect), anecdotally, I have used PowderCity products, including noopept and a variety of racetams and they appeared to have a noticeable (albeit subtle) effect.

#15 Robles508

• 5 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:42 AM

Thanks for the heads up!

#16 srahmouni

• 6 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:06 PM

Hello, I'm brand new here and just wanted to connect with some fellow New Englanders....any "Maine"iacs lurking about????

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users