• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Have I done permanent damage to my acetylcholine receptors?

choline diphenhydramine

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TimRichter

• 1 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:59 AM

Hi there, I'm new here, I'm not very big on introductions so I did make a thread, I apologize for that.

I come to your forum because after a lot of lurking about nootropics and general brain health I realized that you're definitly a smart bunch.

Let me proceed..

As a kid, well, a dumb teenager. I began abusing sleep medicine. Diphenhydramine or by its more common name, Benadryl. We will refer to it as DPH from here on out.

Benadryl had definitly ruined my life the very first time I ever took it to get high, I just didn't know it yet.

I don't know how it started, it just did. I won't get into alot of the drug abusing details, because that's definitly not why I'm here.

It made me cut off ties with my family pretty much completely, it pretty much made me antisocial to the core, i lacked motivation I didn't want to do anything, I was and still am a piece of shit around people (this is years later) My brother thinks it's this as well. because when I began heavily abusing it I changed. I remember him coming into my room and crying and telling me that i need to stop doing it because it's ruining the brotherly relationship between us.

I became a hermit and I never talked to my mom for more than maybe a few minutes a day.I just stayed in my room all the time.

I have read about DPH and it's antichollinergic effects on people. It blocks your acetylcholine receptors, basically shutting your brain off. You can't think. ( Which I really couldn't on DPH, i couldn't do anything. I could only sit there.)

I was taking an excess of >400mg every day or atleast a few times a week for nearly a YEAR on and off. It ruined me.. Fastfoward to present times.

I have terrible terrible memory problems, I can't interact with people very well when I want to. Sometimes I can be listening to every word you say and every instruction you give, I can walk away and forget about it. This pisses me off to no end, I constantly lose stuff.I forget how to do things that I recently learned and need to go back and learn it again, especially at work..

I'm sorry for rambling on, I'm just depressed.

I would like to add that I have dosed 2g of phenylpiracetam, but not all at once of course. I was taking it in the 300-400mg range.

I had absolutley no effects from the P-Piracetam. This makes me further believe that my acetylcholine receptors are low. I contacted liftmode and they said that I try choline.
I did not try it, however i just learned recently that I have Soy Lecithin which has a good amount of choline in it. I have decided to start taking this. I only wish that I had more piracetam to prove if my theory is correct that my acetylcholine receptors are low and perhaps choline would fix this for me and I can be a normal person who can focus on tasks and get them quickly and efficiently, set goals and complete them instead of being such a douchebag to everyone around me and be a complete ingrate. I just always feel socially withdrawed.
  • like x 1

#2 Tom_

• 1,120 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:48 PM

I've been through something very similar with Diphenhydramine.

I attempted suicide with about 6-8 grams of it (I think could have been 4-6). You don't need to apologize for the rambling, everyone does.

I was obviously very ill following it being acutely delirious, in and out of a coma with obscene hyperthemia (42-3), multiple episodes of status epilepticus, hypertension, tachycardia and torsades de pointes. Its amazing I'm still here.

The chronic symptoms were awful. Moderate cognitive impairment (much like moderate Alzheimers disease), a list of other cognitive problems and a list of physical symptoms. All of them have improved drastically over the last 11 weeks and now the symptoms are very mild if present at all.

I've been on antidepressants (Tranylcypromine) and modafinil, although I doubt they actually improved the DPH much.

I'm assuming you have had the symptoms for much longer than 3 months.

Unfortunately the best treatment for it is going to be time. Maybe a lot of time. You can't do permanent damage to receptors although theoretically you could to neurons ( which I doubt has happened here).

The best approach is treating the symptoms, the most clear of which is depression. This would require antidepressants and if you can get hold of CBT. Something slightly more activating like Duloxetine or Malinicpran might be more useful than starting with an SSRI (although Trazadone may be an option as while its sedating does promote Ach release). Naturally avoiding Tricylic antidepressants and Mirtazapine due to antichoninergic/antihistamine effects are important.

You could try cholinergic drugs although I would try these AFTER antidepressants (which with hopefully bring about some to a lot of improvement) preferably in conjunction as cholinergics are well known to worsen depression.

Nicotine patches are unlikely to be of much use as DPH is an antagonist of muscaric receptors. That leaves you with Donepezil and the Alzimers drugs or Hup A which works in the same way but is still being studied. I wouldn't use these alongside cholinergic supplements but its likely reasonably safe. You can try racetams and cholinergic supplements but I wouldn't hold out much hope for them.

Obviously for these prescriptions you will need to see a doctor anyway but you should see one to ensure there is no other damage done, which should include an ECG & bloods.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 gnappi

• 112 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:34 PM

Tim, what you need is to join the NSI-189 group buy. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSI-189

#4 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:38 PM

You could also Cerebrolysin a try.

Its afaik one of the most powerful brain repair stuff which is aviable at present.

#5 abelard lindsay

• 873 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:25 PM

You might find my coluracetam experience interesting: http://www.longecity...post__p__544949
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#6 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:30 PM

Upvote for Your suggestion and location :-D

Couldnt imagine any better.

Edited by Flex, 02 March 2014 - 11:31 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: choline, diphenhydramine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users