• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

What are the essential nutrients for Dental Health ?

minerals teeth tooth cavity

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bernard

• 355 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:08 PM

Hello,
I've been a vegetarian for 5 years and recently my teeth have begun to deteriorate. I am thinking that I am nutrient deficient. I will go to the dentist tomorrow to fix 2-3 teeth, but I don't want this to happen again. Can you guys make a list of all the essential and secondary-essential nutrients for optimal dental health ? Please expert opinions only, not a list of 2000 nutrients presumed to be helpful for bone health.

1. Should I go with a fluoride-based or fluoride-free toothpaste from now on ?
2. Should I use a regular toothbrush or a mechanized one ?
3. Should I use a special anti-cavity mouth wash ? (I've heard one may desensitize to those in the long term.
4. Should I use a gum ?
5. Should I avoid certain foods ? Currently I am avoiding all refined sugar and eating only fruit and diet soda.
6. I am lactose-intolerant so I am not eating milk and yoghurt - maybe it's a good idea to supplement with CAL-MAG-Boron tablets pre-bed ?
7. I am thinking of taking 1000IU Vit.D + 900mg Strontium in the morning empty stomach as well, is this a good idea ?
8. Omega 3-6-9 sounds reasonable, given that I am not eating any fish. (Or maybe just Omega 3 ? I don't have experience with FFAs please suggest)
9. Maybe some herbal remedies as well?
10. What about vetrolaser, it looks awesome for healing bones. tendons and wounds ?
11. A few years ago fluoride was recommended for dental health, now it's considered carcinogenic. What's the latest take on this ?

I am open to any other suggestions. Thanks in advance.

#2 Griff

• 68 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:49 AM

2. I suggest manual, and not mechanical. You can change and adjust both your technique and speed at will, and not this forced speed and limited motion by the mechanical. Your arm itself can also reach SUPER slow speeds, for a nice softness to the gums, to not cause gum damage and receeding.

4. Do not use dental chewing gums or gum. Your "chewing" motion should only be used for food each day and that's it. Chewing your food each day + chewing gum is too much of this motion in one single day. You will cause wear and tear on the jaw structure, such as the bones, ligaments and tendons. Your jaw system is such a special and crucial system of your body, and you are only born with one!

2. I suggest manual, and not mechanical. You can change and adjust both your technique and speed at will, and not this forced speed and limited motion by the mechanical. Your arm itself can also reach SUPER slow speeds, for a nice softness to the gums, to not cause gum damage and receeding.

4. Do not use dental chewing gums or gum. Your "chewing" motion should only be used for food each day and that's it. Chewing your food each day + chewing gum is too much of this motion in one single day. You will cause wear and tear on the jaw structure, such as the bones, ligaments and tendons. Your jaw system is such a special and crucial system of your body, and you are only born with one!

#3 Jembe

• 92 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:39 AM

The liquid K2 MK-4 from Thorne has been known to make people surprise their dentists. It's good stuff.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 bernard

• Topic Starter
  • 355 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:09 AM

The liquid K2 MK-4 from Thorne has been known to make people surprise their dentists. It's good stuff.

Sounds like an ad to me...

#5 Jembe

• 92 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:26 AM

I mention Thorne because there are very few sources of MK-4. The bottle lasts about 8-9 months at 5 drops a day. Makes your skin and teeth smoother.

#6 lemonhead

• 165 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:05 PM

Well, I'm not an expert, I just know what works for me.
I like my sonicare toothbrush. It really helps with gum health. The new anti-plaque mouthwashes also do a great job, but I wonder about the weird chemicals in them. I also use an enamel-strengthening toothpaste (Sensodyne).

I can't say if calcium citrate, magnesium citrate, and orthosilicic acid would work, but they are what I take for bone health and I'm hoping they will help my teeth also. I've read more than one post about MK4 and dental health, but I can't attest to that; I have a K supplement I take occasionally that is K1,MK4 and MK7 (Superior Source) that seems to help with my spider veins; I believe the MK4 dose I get is not as large as what people have suggested for teeth.

I hope these things help since my teeth are developing cracks. I had to get a crown and the dentist wants to do another. Of course, I clench my jaw a lot and have a lot of filings since I ate too many sweets as a teen in addition to 30-40 years of general wear and tear. The dentist also suggested I use a night guard but I know I won't use it since it is uncomfortable and the thought of having plastic in my mouth all night is just gross.

Edited by lemonhead, 26 November 2013 - 05:11 PM.

#7 bernard

• Topic Starter
  • 355 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:04 PM

My brother eats a LOT of sweets. I mean a LOT of sweets. Friends call him the sugar boy. He has been doing it for years. Guess what - no cavities whatsoever. And guess what he doesn't even have a very good mouth hygiene. He also doesn't go out very much so probably vit.D deficient as well... He doesn't eat dairy so calcium deficient as well. He is very tall though (195cm) so I am thinking lots of GH secretion and probably that's how his teeth are surviving. The only other thing I can think of is that he used to supplement with fluoride as a child. Go figure...

By the way I read an article yesterday saying the L-Proline may be a key nutrient to dental health. Also phosphorus&calcium. I may be phosphorus deficient. Who knows.

#8 Deckah

• 153 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:35 PM

You might look into BLIS M18 for dental problems and there's BLIS K12 for oral health.
A few sites that promote it claims that a bacteria that BLIS K12 is comprised of only naturally occurs in a few % of people.

Some people mix comfrey in toothpaste/mouthwashs.
  • like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minerals, teeth, tooth, cavity

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users