* * * * * 6 votes

Supplements to keep skin looking young

• Please log in to reply
267 replies to this topic

#1 JR7

• 113 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:26 AM

Hello,
I suppose the title says it all. I'm looking for a short list of supplements that would have the biggest impact on keeping skin as youthful looking as possible. Any input is welcome.
Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • like x 1

#2 JR7

• Topic Starter
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:06 AM

How the heck do I edit my thread title so I at least sound like a coherent person?
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:13 AM

Are you looking for "instant fixes", or supplements that might preserve a youthful appearance over the long term (e.g., various carotenoids and flavonoids which may protect from UV damage)?

#4 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:03 AM

I would start with Soy Isoflavones. biosil and collagen supplements. I don't think you'll find a pill that's as effective as Retin-A, however.
  • Agree x 1

#5 balance

• 449 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:13 AM

I have tested out a ton of supplements in this category due to my food allergies causing my skin to redden and inflame. By far, the best two, hands down, outperforming any collagen type 1,2,3 supplement or anything else like BioSil:

Jarrow Hyaluronic acid take on an empty stomach around 20 capsules a day, watch miracles start to happen in a few days
Life Extension Pomegranate capsules (don't get the full spectrum softgels, they don't work as well) take between 2-4 a day, WITH meals, it doesn't have nearly the same impact on an empty stomach.

These 2 products are relatively cheap, at least on places like iHerb anyway, so try it out, I'd be really surprised if it did absolutely nothing noticeable for you, in fact, I'd pay you whatever it cost you back, that's how certain I am, and how many years of experience I got with this category.

Cheers,
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#6 JR7

• Topic Starter
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:24 AM

Are you looking for "instant fixes", or supplements that might preserve a youthful appearance over the long term (e.g., various carotenoids and flavonoids which may protect from UV damage)?

Supplements for the long haul. Thanks for the reply!

I would start with Soy Isoflavones. biosil and collagen supplements. I don't think you'll find a pill that's as effective as Retin-A, however.

Great! I'll check those out

I have tested out a ton of supplements in this category due to my food allergies causing my skin to redden and inflame. By far, the best two, hands down, outperforming any collagen type 1,2,3 supplement or anything else like BioSil:

Jarrow Hyaluronic acid take on an empty stomach around 20 capsules a day, watch miracles start to happen in a few days
Life Extension Pomegranate capsules (don't get the full spectrum softgels, they don't work as well) take between 2-4 a day, WITH meals, it doesn't have nearly the same impact on an empty stomach.

These 2 products are relatively cheap, at least on places like iHerb anyway, so try it out, I'd be really surprised if it did absolutely nothing noticeable for you, in fact, I'd pay you whatever it cost you back, that's how certain I am, and how many years of experience I got with this category.

Cheers,

Ive actually been using Hyaluronic acid as a liquid serum everyday. Would a capsule be preferable? I'll look into the pomegranate. Is that fruit know for skin benefits?

#7 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:26 AM

I'm glad to hear that it's working for you. Do you think that these would work miracles for someone with skin that wasn't red or inflamed? I used to have some chronic inflammation on my face, but it cleared up when I started using sunscreen every day. I think that if someone has normal healthy skin, and has no nutrient deficiencies or diseases, that they will not see a large effect from anything they can take in a pill. Topicals are a different story. (retinoids, alpha hydroxy acids, copper peptides, many others)

How the heck do I edit my thread title so I at least sound like a coherent person?

You have to get a mod to do it. I fixed it.

#8 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:40 AM

Interesting. I'm curious what all do you notice? Just better looking skin? I wonder if you could add some details.

I used to take a collagen II supplement that included Hyaluronic acid. I never really noticed much. But, it sounds like you were taking a lot more than I was.

I stopped taking it because Dr Pickart says he avoids "Hyaluronic acid (hyaluronan) because it plays a critical role in the spread of cancer cells." More here and here. I'm not convinced he is correct.

#9 balance

• 449 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:53 AM

I'm glad to hear that it's working for you. Do you think that these would work miracles for someone with skin that wasn't red or inflamed? I used to have some chronic inflammation on my face, but it cleared up when I started using sunscreen every day. I think that if someone has normal healthy skin, and has no nutrient deficiencies or diseases, that they will not see a large effect from anything they can take in a pill. Topicals are a different story. (retinoids, alpha hydroxy acids, copper peptides, many others)

You have to get a mod to do it. I fixed it.

Yes I have since given it to several people who have no existing skin conditions with great results. Give it a shot. And I've tried liquid versions as well, due to the different molecular weight, but only capsules are effective. In fact, Swanson did nothing for me, but the Jarrow one just works. Keep in mind though I take between 10-30 caps a day, so I'd start with 20. Empty stomach.

Interesting. I'm curious what all do you notice? Just better looking skin? I wonder if you could add some details.

I used to take a collagen II supplement that included Hyaluronic acid. I never really noticed much. But, it sounds like you were taking a lot more than I was.

I stopped taking it because Dr Pickart says he avoids "Hyaluronic acid (hyaluronan) because it plays a critical role in the spread of cancer cells." More here and here. I'm not convinced he is correct.

The Hyaluronic acid content in Collagen supplements is negligible. The dose is critical here.

Also, I've read some news about hyaluronic acid with sugar was the reason why naked mole rats never get cancer. I'm not too worried about it for the moment. Just give it a try guys, this is as close to a guarantee you'll ever see in skin results. Very shiny smooth skin. Also around the eyes you'll notice less wrinkles due to extra moisture.

#10 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:13 AM

I take Hyaluronic acid with Collagen every day, and I doubt it had much to do with improving the appearance of skin.

Retin a on the other hand will take five years off in a about a month of consistent use, once you get past the initial two weeks of redness and peeling.
  • like x 2
  • Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#11 dogshitwebsite

• 57 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:45 AM

Eat fish oil, take c-vitamin, minimize carbs.
Fish oil for the good fats, makes skin nice.
C-vitamin helps the body utilize collagen which is what makes your skin smooth and elastic.
Minimize carbs as they break down into sugars which causes Glycation, which is the process of sugars breakin down collagen, thus making the skin more hard and brittle(wrinkly).
Look into DMAE, its in fish and other foods and supposedly makes skin better and its even in many of the expensive lotions.
  • Agree x 2
  • dislike x 2
  • Informative x 1

#12 balance

• 449 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:11 AM

I take Hyaluronic acid with Collagen every day, and I doubt it had much to do with improving the appearance of skin.

Retin a on the other hand will take five years off in a about a month of consistent use, once you get past the initial two weeks of redness and peeling.

That's because you are very likely underdosing on Hyaluronic acid. I remember using Synovial Seven's liquid version and even taking 10 drops a day did nothing (and they said you needed only 1 drop a day). Try taking Jarrow's product and take 20 caps all at once a day, empty stomach, then feel the back of your hands and arms in a few days time, you won't believe it.

#13 Deep Thought

• 224 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:25 AM

Adapalene, retin-a or isotretinoin.

Vitamin C and vitamin E applied topically.
  • Agree x 2

#14 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:29 PM

That's because you are very likely underdosing on Hyaluronic acid. I remember using Synovial Seven's liquid version and even taking 10 drops a day did nothing (and they said you needed only 1 drop a day). Try taking Jarrow's product and take 20 caps all at once a day, empty stomach, then feel the back of your hands and arms in a few days time, you won't believe it.

20 caps a day is what I take, for joint health mostly. Don't think it does jack for skin.

#15 balance

• 449 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:44 PM

20 caps a day is what I take, for joint health mostly. Don't think it does jack for skin.

Jarrow brand and on empty stomach?

#16 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:03 PM

I just started taking Biosil, any thoughts on its effectiveness? I take 2000 mg of vit C and grape seed extract and whey protein for collagen. I also take 5000 mcg biotin and 1000 mg of MSM.
I also think it's important to ingest healthy oils like olive oil and omega 3's.
Longer term, anything that fights glycation and AGE formation is necessary. Glycation destroys proteins like collagen.
  • like x 2

#17 balance

• 449 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:54 PM

I just started taking Biosil, any thoughts on its effectiveness? I take 2000 mg of vit C and grape seed extract and whey protein for collagen. I also take 5000 mcg biotin and 1000 mg of MSM.
I also think it's important to ingest healthy oils like olive oil and omega 3's.
Longer term, anything that fights glycation and AGE formation is necessary. Glycation destroys proteins like collagen.

I don't see a need for 5mg of biotin, 1mg will be plenty. Take the vit C in buffered form to avoid acidity bone leeching. You could try to boost the MSM to 3-6g. I took BioSil max dosage for years and never noticed anything. I did notice some beneficial effect on my nails, not from biosil, but from calcium supplementation. Many people report seeing skin benefits from taking vitamin K2, but the MK-4 form, in dosage of 5-45MG. I myself see it too, though it's mild shining and smoothness on the back of the hands. Try the pomegranate from LEF, the Jarrow Hyaluronic acid and MK-4 from Koncentrated K, Carlson or Relentless improvement and report back to us.

#18 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:02 PM

No, Doctor's best with Collagen and Hyaluronic acid. How many grams of Hyaluronic acid a day are you working with? All in one shot, or do you spread it out morning and night?

#19 balance

• 449 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:15 PM

No, Doctor's best with Collagen and Hyaluronic acid. How many grams of Hyaluronic acid a day are you working with? All in one shot, or do you spread it out morning and night?

I remember reading the turnover rate was somewhere of 1-3 grams of Hya a day. To me the low doses are completely ineffective. It takes around 5 hours for me to notice the full effect, and it takes a day, to disappear again. I take around 10-20 caps per time, that would equal 500mg-1000mg at a time. I notice that with food I get much reduced effect, therefore I stick with the empty stomach. For best results I take it around 3-4 times a day, so say max 60 caps (meaning max 3grams of Hyaluronic acid per day). That sounds like a ton, but they are incredibly tiny, and I just fill up 1 hand and swallow it all in one time with one glass of water. These days I don't even count the caps anymore, I judge my need by how my face looks. I'm gonna see if I can still find the pics of when my seboric dermatitis was at its worst (simply by eating dairy and meat daily). The dermatologist in question who had 35 years of experience said he had never seen a case so severe, and within 2 days of applying cortisol cream and hya supplement it was completely gone and I had the smoothest cleanest facial skin I had had in years! Now I obviously never need cortisol and my reason for pumping hya was exactly to prevent having to use cortisol which with chronic use would lead to thinning of the skin.

#20 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:04 PM

Fyi you can bulk ha powder and reconstitute it youself. Probably cheaper

http://purebulk.com/...cid-powder.html

http://www.makingcos...c-Acid-p81.html

Edited by zorba990, 13 December 2013 - 09:09 PM.

#21 BioFreak

• 541 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:51 PM

Funny, no one has mentioned C60 yet. Many using it have reported less wrinkles. And since I started it, it seems like I am too getting these benefits.

But then again, c60 is highly experimental... yet.
  • like x 1

#22 JR7

• Topic Starter
  • 113 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:12 PM

Wow, this thread really took off. Thank you all. So far, the following seems to be what I've gathered from this:

High Dose Hyaluronic acid - the question is, do we know if there are know side effects with high doses.
Vitamin C - Would an effective dose be 1gram
​Pomegranate - Can I get more folks confining whether or not this is a top skin care supplement
Last, C60 is something Ive been very interested in. Where would be the best place for purchase?
Thank you all very much for your help!

#23 Next

• 42 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:35 AM

I take pomegranate from LEF and haven't noticed anything good or bad. Its usually dirt cheap so why not?

#24 rubegoldberg

• 50 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:02 AM

Ceramides are worth considering, topically and orally.

Edited by rubegoldberg, 18 December 2013 - 02:03 AM.

#25 balance

• 449 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:22 AM

Wow, this thread really took off. Thank you all. So far, the following seems to be what I've gathered from this:

High Dose Hyaluronic acid - the question is, do we know if there are know side effects with high doses.
Vitamin C - Would an effective dose be 1gram
​Pomegranate - Can I get more folks confining whether or not this is a top skin care supplement
Last, C60 is something Ive been very interested in. Where would be the best place for purchase?
Thank you all very much for your help!

The side effects from Hyaluronic acid are from injections. The only thing I have ever noticed after a few years of this high dose daily, is that when the dosage is very very high, I get a slight dry mouth, which disappears with lowering the dose or not taking it for a day.

The pomegranate from LEF must be the capsule version, must be taken with a meal, and I suggest trying 2-4 per day. The people I gave it to all noticed the effect without me telling them. Look at the back of the hands and in the face for more shine and moisture.
  • like x 3

#26 balance

• 449 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:55 AM

Ceramides are worth considering, topically and orally.

Ceramides did nothing for me, I think they are only useful for the 70+ user who does not have as much ceramides left.

#27 beetlife

• 9 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:42 AM

no one recommending pycnogenol yet?

What about 10% Sulphur cream? (usually used for acne)

#28 gt35r

• 186 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:04 AM

My advise is this.

Use Suncreen (SPF 15 and above) daily.

Use a Retinoid to keep collagen level healthy and prevent wrinkling.

Use Carnosine (1000mg) Benfotiamine (150mg) and Alpha Lipoic Acid (300mg) to help prevent glycation of collagen.

Use ALCAR to help prevent lipofuscin build up.

the reitnoid and suncreen of topical, rest are oral.

Skin health depends on glycation of collagen, build up of lipofuscin, UV protein crosslinking, and collagen levels overall.
  • like x 3
  • Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • Agree x 1

#29 balance

• 449 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:07 AM

no one recommending pycnogenol yet?

What about 10% Sulphur cream? (usually used for acne)

Pycnogenol & grape seed are really gonna have the same effect as pomegranate, very likely via the same mechanism, except much less profound in my experience.

My advise is this.

Use Suncreen (SPF 15 and above) daily.

Use a Retinoid to keep collagen level healthy and prevent wrinkling.

Use Carnosine (1000mg) Benfotiamine (150mg) and Alpha Lipoic Acid (300mg) to help prevent glycation of collagen.

Use ALCAR to help prevent lipofuscin build up.

the reitnoid and suncreen of topical, rest are oral.

Skin health depends on glycation of collagen, build up of lipofuscin, UV protein crosslinking, and collagen levels overall.

Unfortunately ALCAR does nothing against lipofuscin, nor does DMAE or any of the other commonly discussed items. Whether Carnosine actually helps us remains to be seen.. But Benfo & R-Lipoic acid seem good.

#30 gt35r

• 186 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:09 AM

Yeah DMAE most likely does not effect lipfuscin, atleast no in the skin.

Do you think there are any advantages to using ALCAR?

Edited by gt35r, 19 December 2013 - 05:09 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users