• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

What threat do you worry about the most?

health threat

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Poll: Threats to mankind (47 member(s) have cast votes)

What is the biggest threat?

1. Plasticizers, they are everywhere! (4 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

2. Nanoparticles, they are the new asbestos only much worse! (4 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

3. Air pollution (10 votes [13.51%])

Percentage of vote: 13.51%

4. Contagious diseases (6 votes [8.11%])

Percentage of vote: 8.11%

5. Man made bioweapons which get out of control (7 votes [9.46%])

Percentage of vote: 9.46%

6. Toxins on foods (10 votes [13.51%])

Percentage of vote: 13.51%

7. Heavy metals (3 votes [4.05%])

Percentage of vote: 4.05%

8. Chemtrails (1 votes [1.35%])

Percentage of vote: 1.35%

9. Nanorobots which will be used against humans (5 votes [6.76%])

Percentage of vote: 6.76%

10. Threats from outer space (viruses,bacteria,hostile aliens) (1 votes [1.35%])

Percentage of vote: 1.35%

11. Threats from the deep sea (stuff we don't even know exists down there) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

12. Something else (23 votes [31.08%])

Percentage of vote: 31.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 dunbar

• 526 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:22 AM

There are so many things nowadays to be worried about. What do you think is the biggest threat for mankind right now or in the near future?

Edited by dunbar, 03 January 2014 - 12:26 AM.

#2 dz93

• 424 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:32 PM

The fact that people understand there are numerous threats to mankind yet no one is willing to do anything about it. Or even worse, people in denial. I think those types of people are the biggest threat to mankind.
  • Good Point x 1

#3 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:37 PM

I would have voted for the nanobots, but AI is more specifically what I worry about (so I put "something else")

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. [] To go ad-free join as a Member.

#4 didierc

• Life Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:41 PM

I agree with mind: artificial intelligence. On the short term, the biggest risk is still a nuclear war. It looks unlikely at the moment, but nuclear threads could be back very fast. And the risk of starting a war, almost by mistake is still there.

It is something strange to me that this risk is kind of forgotten.

DidierC
  • Agree x 2
  • dislike x 1

#5 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:12 PM

threat that probable gerontodrugs can not be well tested (clinical trials/similar) in the next decades in people (for legal/ethical aspects)

(it is a threat against longevity of currently living persons, compared to what could be achieved; not a threat againt mankind; I am surprised not to see in the list an asteroid, like the one that is believed to have contributed to the end of dinosaurs)

Edited by AgeVivo, 11 January 2014 - 05:14 PM.

• Ill informed x 1

#6 dunbar

• Topic Starter
  • 526 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:10 PM

What do you fear about AI? Like robots turning against humans?

What's also scary is mixing human with animal DNA. Think about creatures which combine the DNA of humans and predators. They would be totally superior to humans.
  • Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#7 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

Ecosystem degradation; reductions in biodiversity
  • like x 1

#8 erzebet

• 195 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

the biggest threat to humankind are people themselves - it is amazing how many lives can be ruined or even depleted through wars of any kind
  • like x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#9 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:46 PM

What do you fear about AI? Like robots turning against humans?

Yes
  • dislike x 1

#10 Deep Thought

• 224 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:03 AM

Mind control technology.

Imagine being locked inside your own mind for hundredths of years, while a plutocracy of the most wealthy human beings lord over you and everyone else.

Edited by Deep Thought, 22 January 2014 - 10:04 AM.

• Agree x 1

#11 Florian Xavier

• 242 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:05 PM

http://www.treehugge...e-gone.html

http://guymcpherson....gical-collapse/

by far

Edited by Florian Xavier, 23 January 2014 - 09:06 PM.

#12 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:57 PM

http://www.treehugge...e-gone.html

http://guymcpherson....gical-collapse/

by far

I couldn't get your first link to open. From your second link I copy and paste:

"This is what one would call ecological collapse, an intensification of mass extinction, and it is a threat within our lifetime."

Amongst all of our problems, the continued reckless devastation of ecosystems worldwide and the subsequent disappearances of species large and small are terrible threats to all who live on earth.

#13 Florian Xavier

• 242 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:15 AM

yes, actually a real end of the world possibility

#14 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:08 AM

The world will go on just fine without many species. Meanwhile, it's just such a sad tragedy what's being lost. Just one example: nearly 25% of the world's shark and ray populations are endangered. 25%... An estimated 100 million sharks a year are killed. That's 11,000 each hour, every day, 365 days a year. It's estimated that each year, overall, 6 to 8 percent of the global population of sharks and rays gets caught. No species can reproduce fast enough to keep pace with that kind of killing.

But the real tragedies are the ecosystems themselves.
  • unsure x 1

#15 Antonio2014

• 634 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:39 PM

Overpopulation.

• Disagree x 2
  • Agree x 1

#16 Maecenas

• 181 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:49 AM

I'd say immortality, if achieved in the near future, is a huge threat in itself. It would pose an enormous number of moral dilemmas in all aspects of life. This idea of immortality scares me the most although I'd like to be immortal mostly because of irrational instincts. Immortality would certainly bring a new meaning to the word "egotism".

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#17 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,212 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:10 PM

What exactly disturbs you in he immortality? People can be forever young, if they control their birth rate. What moral dilemmas you mean?

#18 Maecenas

• 181 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:37 PM

What exactly disturbs you in he immortality? People can be forever young, if they control their birth rate. What moral dilemmas you mean?

I think a wide range of social institutes and ideas would become obsolete. Like parenthood, jobs, romantic love etc. Many things which people nowadays uncritically see as laws of nature would become very dubious. I think most of the selflessness in a modern world arises out of a despair of a mortal human, so if people became biologically immortal they'd be less willing to do any sacrifice for others. Immortality would create a Nietzschean world where strength would be the only measure of goodness. But this period wouldn't last long so we'd not be able to enjoy our immortality to its full. The questions of eugenics would surge in importance, also technologies would enable enhancement of our bodies and minds which, in my opinion, would inevitably lead to the extinction of humans as a result of singularity. Humans are too inefficient conductors of information and innovation after all. I suggest it would be the end of biological evolution and a new, digital or informational evolution would start. 

Edited by Maecenas, 02 February 2015 - 10:37 PM.

#19 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,212 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:31 PM

Parenthood maybe - we will have to control our birth rate. Jobs.. maybe you mean jobs like workers in kinder gardens. Why do you think, that romantic love will disappear? What social institutions you think will disappear too? The Nietzschean world is not necessary. What system will be there in an immortal society is completely different question. All systems are possible in an immortal people world. Why the singularity will lead to extinction? Humans are too inefficient conductors of information and innovation after all. Lol from the known alive things today, the humans are the most efficient in inventions. Does the evolution of people exist today? The sacrifice for others, and what exactly they sacrifice is up to personality. In the current world, the sacrifice for others is on the way to disappear anyway.

• Agree x 1

#20 Sanhar

• 171 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:51 PM

I think a wide range of social institutes and ideas would become obsolete. Like parenthood, jobs, romantic love etc. Many things which people nowadays uncritically see as laws of nature would become very dubious. I think most of the selflessness in a modern world arises out of a despair of a mortal human, so if people became biologically immortal they'd be less willing to do any sacrifice for others. Immortality would create a Nietzschean world where strength would be the only measure of goodness. But this period wouldn't last long so we'd not be able to enjoy our immortality to its full. The questions of eugenics would surge in importance, also technologies would enable enhancement of our bodies and minds which, in my opinion, would inevitably lead to the extinction of humans as a result of singularity. Humans are too inefficient conductors of information and innovation after all. I suggest it would be the end of biological evolution and a new, digital or informational evolution would start. 

In order:

1.  Social institutions have been going under since time immemorial.  The real issue here is re-employment once the institutions go under as such; employment is already a looming issue due to increased robotic usage and will likely have to be dealt via with a universal basic income at some point and will, eventually, lead to a post-scarcity economy insofar as basic needs are concerned..  However in this case parenthood and romantic love is not going under (and not completely either) due to immortality; it will be curtailed by people using VR-based sexual experiences in place of real relationships (relationships are very hard, risky, and expensive.  VR is not).

2.  Selflessness is not the issue; being willing to assist others is.  People are much more willing to do that when they have enough and have trust sufficient in the other to believe they're not being taken advantage of.  Both these things are more the case when the giver is more experienced and established as a longer lived person tends to be.

3.  Speaking generally, indefinite lifespan and the singularity are separate topics.  You can argue for one and against the other as you like, especially when it comes to AI-based general superintelligence.  What I would point out here is that we are perfectly capable of full cellular rejuvenation WITHOUT the singularity whether or not it might take longer to accomplish in that case.

Edited by Sanhar, 03 March 2015 - 06:53 PM.

#21 Heisenburger

• 478 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:24 PM

Jenny McCarthy.

#22 A941

• 1,027 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:23 PM

I fear too many things :wacko:

#23 A941

• 1,027 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:10 PM

I dont think this will happen like you fear it will:

-Selfless actions have nothing to do with the lifespann of people, but if you think they do, why should someondo anything selfless if he/she, as someon once said, will only walk this path once?

-Whats the problem with people enhancing themselves? If we can eliminate that what we call the human condition which, to put it brutally simple, is nothing more than a bunch of horrible problems we are FORCED to face (loonlines, mortality, the question of freedom, suffering and all that together making the quest for meaning a bit "meaningless") and which is seen as a wonderfull thing by a horde of medicore philosophers* who get to much attention, then i have no problem with us ending mankind, without bringing an end to the individuals of which it consists. Nietzsche was a bit insane, but he was right, so that the Übermensch (Superhuman) may live, Man and God have to die.

*philosophy maybe something that shouldnt be left to the philosophers but to the scientists

#24 s123

• Director
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:31 AM

Great, immortal people will no longer sacrifice themselves to die in wars. 

I don't see why immortals couldn't experience real love. It's time that parenthood becomes obsolete. It's such a huge waste that people die just a few decades after they reached the skills and knowledge to do things and then having to teach this again to children and endlessly repeating this cycle. 

Edited by s123, 17 June 2015 - 04:40 AM.

• Good Point x 1

#25 Florian Xavier

• 242 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:11 PM

But what would be life without unnecessary suffering ? Will life be worth it ?

Imagine not being condamned to work and die an horrible death ? I mean what's the point ?

This is why anti-aging therapies and IA robots are a disaster.

Edited by Florian Xavier, 17 June 2015 - 02:13 PM.

• Cheerful x 1

#26 dz93

• 424 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:17 PM

But what would be life without unnecessary suffering ? Will life be worth it ?

Imagine not being condamned to work and die an horrible death ? I mean what's the point ?

This is why anti-aging therapies and IA robots are a disaster.

That couldn't be more true. I don't know what the point of living will be if there is no more suffering. I mean the whole point of life is to suffer and die, like you said. I guess if I can live longer I'll be able to suffer longer. So there's a plus.
  • Cheerful x 1

#27 Florian Xavier

• 242 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:42 PM

Lol there is a new life-treatening risk : the sixth mass extinction

Sixth mass extinction is here: Humanity's existence threatened

http://www.scienceda...50619152142.htm

all in all, it will be a miracle if we are still alive in 100 years, between this and robots killing us and climate change, overpopulation and WW3 or crazy terrorists xD. 

Not mentionning epidemics, asteroids or a brutal end of the universe xD

Because 4 years ago, scientists had already warned about this : http://www.scienceda...10302131844.htm and humanty didn't care, the chance that we will see a regain of interest sufficient to fix the problem is from 0,01 to 0,05%.

Edited by Florian Xavier, 19 June 2015 - 09:05 PM.

#28 Florian Xavier

• 242 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:38 PM

Phase transition :

http://www.huffingto..._n_4437807.html

It's better to laught at how much the universe is hostile.

#29 Antonio2014

• 634 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:43 AM

Phase transition :

http://www.huffingto..._n_4437807.html

It's better to laught at how much the universe is hostile.

I will not hold my breath for it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. [] To go ad-free join as a Member.

#30 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:33 AM

WHY IS HUMAN STUPIDITY NOT LISTED? I CALL FOR A RE-LISTING OF SELECTIONS!

• Good Point x 2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users